• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

farnham

Banned
Evenflow said:
Man if this is as good as Mario Kart DS, Nintendo is really on top of their game this generation . So far in just a year and a half we already have gotten a AAA Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash, and Kart. Not to mention Wii Sports, Excite, Paper, Strikers, FE, etc. I think this is already Nintendo's best generation in terms of quality and it's really just getting started.
i doubt it will get as high scores as MKDS

you have to consider that that game had the best graphics on the DS back in 2005...

Does anyone know if the wi-fi side of the game uses the Wii Friends code or if there a game specific code which will need to used to add friends?

Proven

yoopoo said:
Free overnight shipping from ebgames.

http://www.ebgames.com/gs/stopwatch/dailydeal.aspx

Use coupon MARIOK.

Thanks. If I'm too busy on that weekend to stop at Nintendo World on Saturday night or somewhere else on Sunday, this is a handy backup for Monday.

Evenflow said:
Man if this is as good as Mario Kart DS, Nintendo is really on top of their game this generation . So far in just a year and a half we already have gotten a AAA Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash, and Kart. Not to mention Wii Sports, Excite, Paper, Strikers, FE, etc. I think this is already Nintendo's best generation in terms of quality and it's really just getting started.

At this rate, after 2008 third parties can't complain that they can't stand up to Nintendo franchises as they'll already have been made in the last two years!

Oblivion said:
Just to make sure, Bob omb battle is not in, right?

Nope. They replaced it with a new mode called Coin Runners, and everyone who has reviewed it have said that it's worse than just regular Balloon battle. Of course, these are also the very same people that prefer balloon battle to everything else ever put out in Mario Kart, and in my opinion Coin Runners at least sounds like it's more in the team based Mario Kart spirit than just team Balloon battle.

grounded_dreams said:
Does anyone know if the wi-fi side of the game uses the Wii Friends code or if there a game specific code which will need to used to add friends?

At this point I thought people would realize that a game using the Wii console code is an exception outside of the norm.

Any game that has you playing with or against people online simultaneously has it's own code. If it's only to swap things like ghosts and maps (i.e. Elebits, Dewey's Adventure, Big Brain Academy, Metroid Prime 3) then it will more than likely use the Wii's built in friend code in order to transfer only through WiiConnect24 instead of the Nintendo Wifi Connection matchmaking system.

Edit: For further clarification, when I say only for ghosts and maps, I mean that if your game has any combination of playing with people online and transferring ghosts and/or maps, like Brawl and Mario Kart do, the game will come still come with it's own friend code, although I believe that ghosts/maps still transfer to other consoles through the WiiConnect24 system. So if your game has any simultaneous online play, you have to get your own friend code to go with it.

Haunted

grounded_dreams said:
Every other Nintendo game uses its own specific friend code. I assume Mario Kart Wii is no exception.

I reserved this from Gamestop the other day, and to my surprise, they are actually having a midnight launch for the game!

I wasn't sure if Mario Kart would be getting a midnight launch since it's not as "hardcore" as Smash Bros. or Halo, but it looks like it is. Is anyone else having a midnight release in their area?

Milpool

TSA said:
...power sliding doesn't even provide a boost, it just preserves speed. It's just drifting, the power slide is dead in this game...

There's clearly a boost after the orange sparks in this video. The boost on motorbikes is tuned down however since they can do wheelies on straights for a boost.

Milpool said:
There's clearly a boost after the orange sparks in this video. The boost on motorbikes is tuned down however since they can do wheelies on straights for a boost.

It's not really a boost. The same thing happens in the air when you do a trick or press B on the Wii Wheel. It flashes, but I didn't gain any speed. I'll know better when I can play it next weekend on my own setup here, I'll admit the setup there wasn't the best - like 10 inches from the screen, and actually doing anything other than steering with the Wii Wheel wasn't that easy. Everytime I tried to "power slide", Toad, Yoshi or whoever would just overturn almost instantly, and I'd run into the inside wall.

TheChaos

Apparently, the full track list is found. For those of you whom want to be spoiled:

NEW:

Mushroom Cup:
Luigi Circuit
Moo Moo Meadows
Mushroom Gorge
Toad's Factory

Flower Cup:
Mario Circuit
Coconut Mall
DK Summit
Wario's Gold Mine

Star Cup:
Daisy Pier
Koopa Cape
Vermillion Woods
Thundering Volcano

Special Cup:
Yoshi's Desert
Moonview Highway
Bowser's Castle
Rainbow Road

RETRO:

Shell Cup:
Peach Beach(MKDD)
Yoshi Falls(MKDS)
Ghost Valley 2(SMK)
Mario Raceway(MK64)

Banana Cup:
Sherbert Island(MK64)
Shy Guy Beach(MKSC)
Delfino Square(MKDS)
Waluigi Stadium(MKDD)

Leaf Cup:
Mario Circuit(MKDD)
Desert Hills(MKDS)
DK's Jungle Parkway(N64)
Bowser Castle 3(SMK)

Lightning Cup:
Bowser's Castle(N64)
DK Mountain(MKDD)
Peach Gardens(MKDS)
Mario Circuit 3(SMK)

Taken from Mariokartwii.com. Could be wrong, but it looks legit.

TheChaos said:
Apparently, the full track list is found. For those of you whom want to be spoiled:

NEW:

Mushroom Cup:
Luigi Circuit
Moo Moo Meadows
Mushroom Gorge
Toad's Factory

Flower Cup:
Mario Circuit
Coconut Mall
DK Summit
Wario's Gold Mine

RETRO:

Shell Cup:
Peach Beach(MKDD)
Yoshi Falls(MKDS)
Ghost Valley 2(SMK)
Mario Raceway(MK64)

Banana Cup:
Sherbert Island(MK64)
Shy Guy Beach(MKSC)
Delfino Square(MKDS)
Waluigi Stadium(MKDD)

Those are right from what I saw today. What about Battle courses? I only saw
10, 5 retro, 5 new
. Is that all there is?

Proven

Stormbringer said:
New vid : (Shyguy Beach)

This course looks great. And yep, this game looks like awesome fun. That's still too bad this vid is on 100cc, and being played by someone who can't play Mario Kart for shit...

[edit] Anyway, more :

Sherbet Island

Bowser Castle 3

Waluigi Stadium

Battle Mode

Battle Mode looks...weird. I'm not sure I completely understand all the new rules of this mode yet, but I guess this still looks kind of fun.

It took me a while, but I finally get the system. Your team gains points every time an opponents balloon is popped, while they lose points every time someone on your team loses all of their balloons. This can't be 100% accurate, as I'm assuming lots of points were made during the times it looks like you lost points with no effect on your score, but this the best idea I've got.

Edit: More musings. I'm guessing that if your personal score is at zero, you can't lose anymore points and go into the negative, and this keeps people from exploiting the weakest players on a team to decimate your team score. As for why lose any points at all, you can say that your team gets a bonus point for every three consecutive hits you get on any one person before they can get any balloons back (what mushrooms are for).

TSA said:
It's not really a boost. The same thing happens in the air when you do a trick or press B on the Wii Wheel. It flashes, but I didn't gain any speed. I'll know better when I can play it next weekend on my own setup here, I'll admit the setup there wasn't the best - like 10 inches from the screen, and actually doing anything other than steering with the Wii Wheel wasn't that easy. Everytime I tried to "power slide", Toad, Yoshi or whoever would just overturn almost instantly, and I'd run into the inside wall.

I have to wonder about this, because from the vids I've seen the boost mechanic is reminsce of snaking in the sense that from the starting line, you do everything in your power to maintain a max speed. It could just be that because of all the items and turns it's hard to stay at your karts max speed and the different types of boosts put you up to that and then it's up to you to maintain it. If that's the case, it also makes heavy karts a bit better as then boosts won't cause lighter karts to over come their low max speed anymore.

Zentendo Preview said:
The one major issue we had was the "bouncing" that occurs whenever you hit another player or a wall at a certain angle. It's pretty annoying, and in some stages, with rail-less parts, a random AI character can come up from nowhere and tap you lightly, and your vehicle will go flying sideways about four-to-five kart lengths. With so many players on the course in this version, it is even more likely this issue will affect the majority of gamers, which anyone trying to play the game halfway serious will more than likely get fed up with.

This also makes heavier karts more powerful and with the above change of the boosting mechanic it could hopefully bring a lot more balance to the game.

Rlan

Dissapointed at the lack of variety of the levels. You get
Mario Circut NEW
Mario Raceway N64
Mario Circut DS
, and
Mario Circut 3 SMK
?
Bowser Castle NEW
Bowser Castle N64
and
Bowser Castle 3 SMK
?
Peach Beach
and
Peach Gardens
?

Especially since some of the best Mario Kart DS levels -
Waluigi Pinball
and
Flying Fortress
don't seem to have made the cut :(

lopaz

Banned
Proven said:
Edit: More musings. I'm guessing that if your personal score is at zero, you can't lose anymore points and go into the negative, and this keeps people from exploiting the weakest players on a team to decimate your team score. As for why lose any points at all, you can say that your team gets a bonus point for every three consecutive hits you get on any one person before they can get any balloons back (what mushrooms are for).

That's... slightly good that they prevented one weak player completely bringing the team down, but you have to wonder why the hell they did all this to begin with. I think sometimes Nintendo vastly overestimates the pettiness of casual gamers, like on Brawl online not allowing rankings because they think crappy players will throw a hissy fit at being ranked 80,000. Even if they're right, and "casuals" do prefer team battles, why not just have an option like usual?

Uh, I just watched some of the videos and finally read up on this, and can't help bur feel a little underwhelmed.

Mario Kart DS seems like a leap in front of this one. Using two screen....I don't know if I can go back to this. It almost just looks like Double Dash done right.

I'll still get it and play it for hours, but still.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Rlan said:
Mario Circut NEW
Mario Raceway N64
Mario Circut DS
, and
Mario Circut 3 SMK
?
Bowser Castle NEW
Bowser Castle N64
and
Bowser Castle 3 SMK
?
Peach Beach
and
Peach Gardens
?

Waluigi Pinball
and
Flying Fortress

They get to reuse more assets this way. Still, it pisses me off that the track list seems to specifically focus on the simplistic tracks rather than the ones with cool obstacles and design. Why did they pick the mediocre Double Dash Stadium level instead of the awesome MKDS version, for example?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Holy cow at some of the remarks, of course the game looks the fucking same it's mario set in mario kart on the same engine as last time. I'm pumped for this title looks like nintendo is trying to use the more tradtional style while doing new stuff. Any word about the new boost reducing snaking?

DataBot

Preordered ..... Cant wait to have this awesome game in my wii ...

Nintendo you better give me map pack downloads for the GC and n64 maps through wiiware or else ... (kick in the nuts) :D

Rlan said:
Mario Circut NEW
Mario Raceway N64
Mario Circut DS
, and
Mario Circut 3 SMK
?
Bowser Castle NEW
Bowser Castle N64
and
Bowser Castle 3 SMK
?
Peach Beach
and
Peach Gardens
?

Waluigi Pinball
and
Flying Fortress
Agreed. Especially on the cool MK DS levels not making the cut. :/
And I'm also a bit disappointed by the level design of the classic tracks. I know that on the SNES it basically was a track with a static wallpaper in the background, but they don't have to take the "hommage to" this far that they don't do anything cool with the classic levels. It's all so barren and empty.

For the rest it looks like typical mario kart: fun racing.

Proven

Chairman Yang said:
They get to reuse more assets this way. Still, it pisses me off that the track list seems to specifically focus on the simplistic tracks rather than the ones with cool obstacles and design. Why did they pick the mediocre Double Dash Stadium level instead of the awesome MKDS version, for example?

Personally, I preferred the Double Dash stadium level but I fear I may have played it too much in the past to get excited over its return. It was my favorite stadium level in the series, and at least we're getting a new stadium level as well.

As for the course selection in general, it's probably to help them gain more confidence in putting every track for online mode and get around whatever fear they had to not put every track online for MK DS. I'll miss Airship Fortress, but the only reason I liked it was because it reminded me of the DK Moutain level in Double Dash.

Hey, and his new stage is based in the same way his MK DS stage game to be, that sucks. And DK is getting his N64 level back, which may work for me better since everything will be modeled in 3D.

Hmm, I would love to go over all the tracks in the past games but if I reminisce about my favorites before this game comes out I'll be disappointed. Better to wait until I have the game in my hands to get rid of that bad feeling immediately by playing a track.

And to be fair, almost every cup has a single raceway level, and in general they're named after the main three, Mario, Luigi, and Peach, and then one other character who won't get a themed stage gets a raceway. With 32 courses, nothing is stopping them from giving Mario, Luigi, and Peach a theme course as well as a raceway. As for Bowser, isn't it a law or something that 99% of lava levels must be named after him, and with this many tracks you need at least two? (For comparison, Super Circuit had 2 and MK DS had 3, IIRC)

crispyben

TheChaos said:

RETRO:

Leaf Cup:
Bowser Castle 3(SMK)
The video posted above says it's the
MKSC
track.

shaft said:
no babypark?---> :(

no trackeditor---> :(
Baby Park is arguably the worst track in the series. It's a tiny oval that has more to do with luck of the draw (who gets what item by the last lap). I prefer the traditional stages that emphasize skilled driving.

Xrenity

Man, I'm not hyped for this at all :(

I want SSBB. And it doesn't seem like this Mario Kart has a lot interesting new stuff.

I think I'll pass.

Xrenity said:
Man, I'm not hyped for this at all :(

I want SSBB. And it doesn't seem like this Mario Kart has a lot interesting new stuff.

I think I'll pass.
If you're like me you'll get burned out on SSBB within a few days. I quickly realized it was more of the same and ended shelving it indefinitely. The biggest disappointment was the feeling of "been there, done that" with the controls. With MKWii I feel the new Wii Wheel offers a completely different way to experience kart racing. And if you read the interview you will see how uniquely they approached the online interface (something Brawl failed to do).

evilromero said:
Baby Park is arguably the worst track in the series. It's a tiny oval that has more to do with luck of the draw (who gets what item by the last lap). I prefer the traditional stages that emphasize skilled driving.

ok. But baby park is fun. That's what counts.

Nabs

Konno: Right. Even if you haven’t inserted the Mario Kart Wii game disc, if you start up your Wii and check the Mario Kart Wii channel, you’ll be able to see if Iwata-san is playing using Wi-Fi. If Miyamoto-san then selects Join, he can join Iwata-san in the match.

Brawl could have used this!!

evilromero said:
Someone tell me again why the US is waiting for this game an additional three weeks?

Because Smash Bros Brawl was probably cancelled for Europe so they thought they might make it up to us europeans by giving us a new and unexciting edition to the Mario Kart series 3 weeks earlier.

Oh, and they can't seem to make enough pack-in protractor attachments

Taurus

I have this preordered, and propably will get this next tuesday or wednesday because my local game store isn't that precise with the release dates (friday is the release day here in Yurop). :)

Stormbringer said:
New vid : (Shyguy Beach)

This course looks great. And yep, this game looks like awesome fun. That's still too bad this vid is on 100cc, and being played by someone who can't play Mario Kart for shit...

[edit] Anyway, more :

Sherbet Island

Bowser Castle 3

Waluigi Stadium

Battle Mode

Battle Mode looks...weird. I'm not sure I completely understand all the new rules of this mode yet, but I guess this still looks kind of fun.
awesome game looks awesome :D :D :D

dk_

Hmm, I thought Baby Park was the right course for Nintendo's new mainstream soccer mom audience. So I really can't understand why they threw it out.

Proven

evilromero said:

You know, it took me a while, but I finally realize that people that think this way either don't play enough with friends who are just as good if not better than them, or really should just be playing a different game. I started to feel like this when MK DS came around and it wasn't until I was playing 8-player matches with friends that I remembered why items, even the blue shell, are there.

If you play single player or even time trails a majority of the time then you'll often get into first pretty quickly and only get crap items, and the only thing that keeps you up there is good driving skills. Since the point of the game is to be in first place, and you can pretty much stay in first for 80% of the race easily, you start to emphasize racing skill a lot more.

But when you're playing with competent players, marrying great item use with awesome racing skill, it's only then that you get the true Mario Kart experience while shuffling from 8th to 1st place repeatedly.

The fun in Mario Kart is using items plus skill to get into first place, and because of this all items are made towards helping you get into first place at default, with the exception of the banana that you had to manually throw forward to try anything crazy. Once someone ends up in first place and stays up there the whole time from racing skill alone, the fun levels definitely go down a couple notches, trust me.

Hmm, a crazier me would take this moment to think about starting a Blue Shell Defense Force.

Proven said:
You know, it took me a while, but I finally realize that people that think this way either don't play enough with friends who are just as good if not better than them, or really should just be playing a different game. I started to feel like this when MK DS came around and it wasn't until I was playing 8-player matches with friends that I remembered why items, even the blue shell, are there.

If you play single player or even time trails a majority of the time then you'll often get into first pretty quickly and only get crap items, and the only thing that keeps you up there is good driving skills. Since the point of the game is to be in first place, and you can pretty much stay in first for 80% of the race easily, you start to emphasize racing skill a lot more.

But when you're playing with competent players, marrying great item use with awesome racing skill, it's only then that you get the true Mario Kart experience while shuffling from 8th to 1st place repeatedly.

The fun in Mario Kart is using items plus skill to get into first place, and because of this all items are made towards helping you get into first place at default, with the exception of the banana that you had to manually throw forward to try anything crazy. Once someone ends up in first place and stays up there the whole time from racing skill alone, the fun levels definitely go down a couple notches, trust me.

Hmm, a crazier me would take this moment to think about starting a Blue Shell Defense Force.
Baby Park is still just an oval. And I prefer improving my times against ghost data than against other players. Battle mode is the ideal scenario that I feel randomized item usage is welcome. And I can't wait to wax some ass online.

Proven

evilromero said:
Baby Park is still just an oval. And I prefer improving my times against ghost data than against other players. Battle mode is the ideal scenario that I feel randomized item usage is welcome. And I can't wait to wax some ass online.

You see, that's exactly the problem. You don't enjoy the main draw of half the game, and instead just the time trials. I can't say it's wrong, all I can do is try to point out why you don't enjoy it.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Baby Park was just a snaking contest. With that gone, there's no reason to keep it.

MoogPaul

After reading the Iwata asks, I'm quite sad that Hideki Konno wasn't given the task of designing the smash online. Iwata refers to him as one of the head nintendo online gaming guys, on such an important game like smash, I wonder why he wasn't given the task?

Firestorm

Zek said:
Baby Park was just a snaking contest. With that gone, there's no reason to keep it.

No screw you. It was battle mode on VS mode :( Snaking wasn't that easy on it anyway considering you had to be able to make REALLY sharp turns every 5 seconds meaning your approach had to be flawless (if your turbo was going right when you had to go left you're basically screwed).

I liked that map.

Is Koopa Troopa beach from MK64 in? That's one of my favourite MK maps =(

Top Bottom