• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

Baby Park was one of my family/friends favorite track to race on. And none of us snake. Also I have to say that Double Dash Stadium track > DS Stadium track. :D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Proven said:
Hmm, a crazier me would take this moment to think about starting a Blue Shell Defense Force.

Personally, I had always thought the thing with Blue Shells was that your strategy was to not just get into first place, but fight to get enough of a lead so as to not be totally knocked to 8th by a Blue Shell - and to be thoughtful enough to hold on to an item that would either help you recover position fast, or sabotage the first few racers behind you.

Most of the time, when I've really been screwed over by a Blue Shell while I was in first place, my own performance was mediocre at the time - I wasn't keeping a good lead and I didn't bother to keep a good item on hand.

Jammy

Banned
There's definitely a big strategy when it comes to item usage in Mario Kart games.

I mean, there's always those players that use whatever the hell item they have as soon as they get it, but there's so much more than just that.

A skilled player in first won't let a couple blue shells screw up how he finishes overall in the cup. There's always key placements of bananas - say, right on a big ramp - and timing is everything.

And with all these opportunities for boosts, whether it be by the new-to-console drafting technique, or something like bike wheelies, I think there's a lot more skill required in this game than many think.

Jammy said:
There's definitely a big strategy when it comes to item usage in Mario Kart games.

I mean, there's always those players that use whatever the hell item they have as soon as they get it, but there's so much more than just that.

A skilled player in first won't let a couple blue shells screw up how he finishes overall in the cup. There's always key placements of bananas - say, right on a big ramp - and timing is everything.

And with all these opportunities for boosts, whether it be by the new-to-console drafting technique, or something like bike wheelies, I think there's a lot more skill required in this game than many think.

I have played countless hours of MK games. I play with decent players and Blue shells can screw you over if you are playing with even semi decent players. It simply does not pay to lead in MK games.

rubber banding AI and Items are present. They usually keep the play field equal skill or no skill.

JSnake

WiiRevolution1 said:
So is it ok to post spoilers in here for when the leaks come in?

And do we need to put spoiler tags? jw the 1st post didnt say.

Yes, spoiler tags are needed. Universal rule of GAF.

lopaz

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
I have played countless hours of MK games. I play with decent players and Blue shells can screw you over if you are playing with even semi decent players. It simply does not pay to lead in MK games.

rubber banding AI and Items are present. They usually keep the play field equal skill or no skill.

I don't see why you can't just turn off select items like in Smash Bros

Kabuki Waq said:
True, but I see this as part of the strategy: it's simply not convenient to take the lead early on. A skilled player will consider this and time his take over accordingly.

123rl

UK people - apparently Game are shipping this already! Expect broken street dates everywhere by Wednesday then :D

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
You can spin it however you want but the fact of the matter is that super items are the party game component of MK. They're created specifically to let people who are losing catch up with the rest of the pack. That's great when you're playing with casual friends, but if everybody is on even terms it sort of sucks for the game to be decided by them.

I know I've heard there's a way to restrict items though, do we know the details of that yet?

yoopoo

Banned
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178704

Mario Kart for $9.99 at GameStop

Photo21.jpg

These qualify:
Baroque
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Cabela's Big Game Hunter
Carnival Games
Cars: Mater-National
Cooking Mama: Cook Off
Dragonball Z: Budokai T3
EA Playground
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Ghost Squad
Legend of Zelda TP
Lego Star Wars: Complete Saga
Madden NFL 2008
MLB 2K8
Mario and Sonic Olympic Games
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
MOH Heroes 2
MOH Vanguard
Metriod Prime 3: Corruption
MLP Power Pros
My Sims
Naurto Clash of Ninja Revolution
NBA Live 2008
Need for Speed: Carbon
Need for Speed: Pro Street
No More Heroes
Okami
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Rapala Tournament Fishing
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Sims 2: Castaways
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2008
Transformers The Game
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2008

Kaijima said:
Personally, I had always thought the thing with Blue Shells was that your strategy was to not just get into first place, but fight to get enough of a lead so as to not be totally knocked to 8th by a Blue Shell - and to be thoughtful enough to hold on to an item that would either help you recover position fast
You lose your items when you get hit by a blue.

Kabuki Waq said:
It simply does not pay to lead in MK games.
Yes it does. People in first get items too, you know.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
The fact that Koopa Troopa is playable in this makes me happy. :D I always use Koopa Troopa in Mario Kart games whenever he's available. I guess it's a habit from the original.

They never put in my favorite track Yoshi's Valley... :\
Does anyone know if there will be a track with multiple routes like Yoshi's Valley in this one?

Jammy

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
very rarely do you get useful items in first.

Bananas can be one of the most annoying and skillful item in the game. If you're good enough to get in first and keep getting bananas, you should be good enough to know when and where to use them. That adds a whole other dimension to the races.

Rlan

WiiRevolution1 said:
THE LEAKS ARE COMING THE LEAKS ARE COMING!!!

http://www.virginradio.co.uk/images...pZXdzXC9pbmRleC5odG1sIiwibyI6MCwiYyI6NTM4NX0=

yea long url but it confrims
King Boo (Not reg Boo like some thought) and now tghats another character revealled! Only a few hours (I hope anywayz) until all 24 characters nare revealled!! :D

Well out of the REST of "characters that have appeared before but not yet in Wii" are Paratroopa, Drybones, Petey, ROB, Bowser Jr, Birdo and Shy Guy.

Frankly, I'm hoping for some more NEW characters - We have 5 more left (or 6 depending on if they could "Mii" as a character..). If we go by their lame means the rest will be all those mentioned, and maybe just have either Paratroopa or Drybones.

Still a pretty standard cast. Would like to see E.Gadd, Kamek, and a Goomba :p

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
WiiRevolution1 said:
THE LEAKS ARE COMING THE LEAKS ARE COMING!!!

http://www.virginradio.co.uk/images...pZXdzXC9pbmRleC5odG1sIiwibyI6MCwiYyI6NTM4NX0=

yea long url but it confrims
King Boo (Not reg Boo like some thought) and now tghats another character revealled! Only a few hours (I hope anywayz) until all 24 characters nare revealled!! :D
Yeah uh, I thought we already saw them all already?

These may not all be secret characters, but I distinctly remember seeing

Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Birdo
BABY Birdo
Rosalina
King Boo

and maybe a couple others? It was a stock art/promotional photo for the game that was artifacted fairly badly but you could still see the characters.

JohnTinker said:
Yeah uh, I thought we already saw them all already?

These may not all be secret characters, but I distinctly remember seeing

Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Birdo
BABY Birdo
Rosalina
King Boo

and maybe a couple others? It was a stock art/promotional photo for the game that was artifacted fairly badly but you could still see the characters.
that was a photoshop job. Some of those characters are real, but really now, baby birdo?
edit: yeah here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259496&page=7 is the image, and where it was also proven fake.

Kabuki Waq said:
very rarely do you get useful items in first.
i use Donkey Kong and Baby Bowser and i can guarantee you that you are wrong

even a fake question mark can be immensely valuable if you know your track and the person you're playing

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Mike Works said:
Yes it does. People in first get items too, you know.

The problem is that MKDD and MKDS went further than MK64 did with regards to "balancing". In MK64, a first place player could still get ANY of the items randomly, but the frequency of the shell/bolt/etc. dropped. In MKDD and MKDS, the first place player does not receive the highest-power items... ever.

I'd like the Wii version to return to "all items for everyone", but with the frequency changing between places.

Hey everyone I think I know the final roster!!

Notice on the character select screen that everyone has somebody that they are connected with besides or below them.

Mario - Luigi, Diddy - DK, Baby Mario - Baby Luigi (Not on the pic but already confirmed) - Baby Peach.

Now I thought it over and this is what I came up with since we know Miis are not on the 24 roster but besides it and that a new row opens to the right.

errm....anywayz: This is purely a GUESS of the final roster. But since all characters seem to be connected to another character I came up with this roster:

Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach, Bowser jr.

Toad, Toadette, Koopa, Dry Bones

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy

Yoshi, Birdo, Diddy, Rosalina

Wario, Waluigi, DK, Someone else

King Boo, Bowser, Petey, R.O.B.

so does anyone think Im right? Or close? I think I am just dont know who go besides DK...

Vagabundo

We're having a mario kart blow out this sunday. We want to have local Wii multiplayer on two Wiis via projectors.

Does anyone know if this is possible?????

The local LAN multiplayer, I mean.

I've given the OP a bit of an update. Thanks to everyone who is providing new information and links! It's much appreciated!

Proven

Sindou_Hikaru20 said:
http://www.wiiinsider.de/news_345356.php

4-Player Grand Prix Modus shown in this video :D

@ 8:26

Before even watching this, I hope you realize that in MK DS you could play a set of tracks like a Grand Prix, get points as if it was a grand prix, do this with up to 8 people playing wireless, and it didn't unlock anything, the last part being the whole point of our "bitchin" as another person put it. It was already said weeks ago that at the very least that same feature was in Mario Kart Wii, but we (or at least I) wondered whether or not it'd be just for fun, like in MK DS, or if you could still unlock new courses and characters, even if for that much you can only play up to two players like the last console Mario Karts.

Edit: I'm not German or anything, but as far as I can tell they were playing VS. mode in the same way you could in MK DS.

I guess I'll have to resign myself to unlocking everything by myself. Or get my brother to do it.

Proven said:
Before even watching this, I hope you realize that in MK DS you could play a set of tracks like a Grand Prix, get points as if it was a grand prix, do this with up to 8 people playing wireless, and it didn't unlock anything, the last part being the whole point of our "bitchin" as another person put it. It was already said weeks ago that at the very least that same feature was in Mario Kart Wii, but we (or at least I) wondered whether or not it'd be just for fun, like in MK DS, or if you could still unlock new courses and characters, even if for that much you can only play up to two players like the last console Mario Karts.

Edit: I'm not German or anything, but as far as I can tell they were playing VS. mode in the same way you could in MK DS.

I guess I'll have to resign myself to unlocking everything by myself. Or get my brother to do it.
Actually this is totally different than the way it was in Mario Kart DS. Mario Kart DS VS. mode did not let you choose specific GP Cups to race that ended in a GP Cup trophy celebration. Mario Kart Wii is the only game in the series that allows you to play 4-player GP Cup races! :D

He's right, thats a proper 4 player GP with proper celebration sequence. Its at around the 10:30 mark... a few weeks ago we had people telling us you couldn't even do 2 player GP, when its clear its supported for upto 4 players.

I know you were talking about playing the GP online, and being unable to unlock things that way -- but I just realised how much misinformation and misunderstanding there was before now.

Evenflow said:
So has anyone heard if Gamestop's gonna do a Saturday midnight launch?
Yes. Strip stores that don't have to follow mall hours will be doing it, along with GTA IV a few days later. Mall stores that need to pay money to stay open late will mostly only be doing GTA IV. Check your local store, they will know by now.

Proven

CreatureX3 said:
Actually this is totally different than the way it was in Mario Kart DS. Mario Kart DS VS. mode did not let you choose specific GP Cups to race that ended in a GP Cup trophy celebration. Mario Kart Wii is the only game in the series that allows you to play 4-player GP Cup races! :D

Really, I just see it as them adding in the trophy celebration to what you could mostly do in Mario Kart DS. I still doubt very much doubt this they were playing an actual GP to unlock anything, and I'm sure I saw Versus or something close to that (in German) between races.

Vagabundo said:
We're having a mario kart blow out this sunday. We want to have local Wii multiplayer on two Wiis via projectors.

Does anyone know if this is possible?????

The local LAN multiplayer, I mean.
Ydahs said:
Local LAN is out IIRC.
Why does not a single Wii game have wireless LAN play yet? Is it not possible?

Proven said:
Really, I just see it as them adding in the trophy celebration to what you could mostly do in Mario Kart DS. I still doubt very much doubt this they were playing an actual GP to unlock anything, and I'm sure I saw Versus or something close to that (in German) between races.
Yes it appears that it's accessed through the VS. mode. But who cares? It's still 4-player GP mode! :D

Top Bottom