• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Burny

Currently in multicrew only the helm gets 100% on the bounty, others get a share, depending on their combat rank, I think.

Don't get me started... Multicrew was announced with full symmetrical payouts, before Frontier got the idea that the crew does not risk their ship and should therefore have gimped payouts. Iirc 80%, if the crew player is ranked Elite!

No reason to not have crew players participate in their own ship instead for full symmetrical payout, which 2.3 introduced for wings. Edit: "How to waste your devs' effort on a new feature by preemtively making it obsolete due to a buff of an existing one. Frontier Edition"

Don't get me started... Multicrew was announced with full symmetrical payouts, before Frontier got the idea that the crew does not risk their ship and should therefore have gimped payouts. Iirc 80%, if the crew player is ranked Elite!

No reason to not have crew players participate in their own ship instead for full symmetrical payout, which 2.3 introduced for wings. Edit: "How to waste your devs' effort on a new feature by preemtively making it obsolete due to a buff of an existing one. Frontier Edition"

It's the stupidity of "game development at the whims of the official forums"... particularly E:D's toxic forum community.

On that forum, "everything is an exploit", and if any poster can think up some ridiculously contrived and completely unrealistic way that a gameplay mechanic can be abused, FDev will capitulate by gimping the game.

Hylian7

It's the stupidity of "game development at the whims of the official forums"... particularly E:D's toxic forum community.

On that forum, "everything is an exploit", and if any poster can think up some ridiculously contrived and completely unrealistic way that a gameplay mechanic can be abused, FDev will capitulate by gimping the game.
Yeah, that kind of shit pisses me off. My home system, Gende, has a station orbiting a gas giant, which has RES, low, and high. It used to have Hazardous, and I enjoyed the short trip back and forth. Then they took away that Hazardous for some asinine reason, and now the closest one was about 1900Ls away. That hit with the engineer update, so that in addition to Engineers killed the game for me for about a year.

SmartBase

So uhh, what's the quickest moneymaker at the moment? I didn't think the whole working class peasant thing IRL would keep me from the game but here we are.

Hylian7

So uhh, what's the quickest moneymaker at the moment? I didn't think the whole working class peasant thing IRL would keep me from the game but here we are.
You can follow what the hot thing at the moment is, or pick something you enjoy doing. Personally, I enjoy bounty hunting, so I do that. It's slower than something like space Uber, but I am enjoying every minute of it.

SmartBase

You can follow what the hot thing at the moment is, or pick something you enjoy doing. Personally, I enjoy bounty hunting, so I do that. It's slower than something like space Uber, but I am enjoying every minute of it.

Space uber doesn't sound too bad actually. I just want to engineer more components and experiment but I can't handle the credit grind on top of the shitty material RNG.

Kyoufu

A CMDR in an Anaconda stole my kill so I rammed him a few times. He left to repair. Came back and saw me still killing stuff and said "wow" and logged off lmao.

Fear the Cutter ramming power.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Having some good luck with the Keelback so far. Made over a million in bounties in under an hour, just buzzing about a RES. A pair of gimballed beams in the small hardpoints, and a pair of fixed multicannons in the medium ones; and a Taipan with beams to hassle targets.

Is it bad that I picked the pilot for my SLF purely on the basis that she was the cutest of the bunch? It's not my fault that most of the inhabitants of space seem to be haggard as hell.

Realistic expectiation: Tiny tidbits about 2.4. Unrealistic expectation: Some info on how and when "season 3" will manifest. What's the next thing after driving around a dust- or iceball without overhangs in a buggy?

2.4 is currently scheduled to be released before this Expo will take place so assuming there isn't a delay, the stuff at the Expo should be all "Season 3" and the future.

GeeTeeCee

I'm currently trapped on a planet because every time I attempt to supercruise away from the surface the game hangs for over a minute before eventually kicking me back to the main menu.

I guess this is my home now.

2.4 will be a staggered release though, remember?

True but I'd hope they'd focus more on the future and the "base gameplay" changes they have planned for post 3.0 than what 2.4 is bringing since it appears to me mostly story. Let that stuff play out in game.

I'm currently trapped on a planet because every time I attempt to supercruise away from the surface the game hangs for over a minute before eventually kicking me back to the main menu.

I guess this is my home now.

Log into normal Elite, it'll kick you to space in your ship since it won't have Horizon content loaded.

Peroroncino

Ah, didn't know you were on a console. I don't think you can chose which version you want to launch. Might be a PC only thing.

You definitely can't.

Alright, need another advice, if there's any cqc vet here I'd like to know which mode is better to gain ranks fast, TDM or DM? I wanna farm at least level 50 so the right panel doesn't make me puke when I look at my ranks.

lordxar

I'm enjoying the the weekly community goals currently. You haul shit for a bit on one then shoot shit down for a bit on the other. Rinse and repeat. Do some odd excusions...profit. As I've made cash I've bought bigger ships and made more. If you put in some work and upgrade right you can easily pull 9 to 13 mil per cg per week and that does not include bounties or trade profit. Think I had 14 mil the other day and now I'm at like 42 mil today now that both of last week's paid out. Parked at the new one on lunch and will be space trucking by supper. Couple loads a day and some bounties will see another cash pile next week.

Cantaloup

Alright, need another advice, if there's any cqc vet here I'd like to know which mode is better to gain ranks fast, TDM or DM? I wanna farm at least level 50 so the right panel doesn't make me puke when I look at my ranks.

TDM will probably net you points more consistently unless you are really good in DM. It is easier to get points for wins and assists in TDM.

Hylian7

Is that possible on thr PS4 version? I've never seen the option.

Mercifully, it finally let me jump to hyperspace after 10 minutes or so of trying.
I was gonna suggest maybe making a support ticket with Frontier, I think they do actually answer and fix issues like that where your are stuck due to a bug like that.

Megasoum

Banned
So I'm flying in random directions trying to get the 300ly objective to unlock the engineer (this is annoying, there must be a better way to do it)

So now I'm in the middle of fucking nowhere... I have to go back to the CG station to collect the money (why can't they send the check in the mail? lol).

Also I went to the system last night where you buy the rare material that the engineer will ask for but during my random jumps to get the 300ly I flew too close the a star, burned my cargo door and lost those items so now I have to go back to buy them again Haha.

Widge

There were a lot of times my bounty hunting plans became waylaid by celestial mechanics. Those headlights don't go anywhere near as far as you hope.

An iPhone strapped to the front of my ship would have been more useful.

I got absolutely destroyed by the security services for some reason too. Must have been a stray shot or seomthung.

Second bad piece of news, I have a well kitted Dolphin but not the insurance to cover it! No way going to risk flying that.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Having some good luck with the Keelback so far. Made over a million in bounties in under an hour, just buzzing about a RES. A pair of gimballed beams in the small hardpoints, and a pair of fixed multicannons in the medium ones; and a Taipan with beams to hassle targets.

Is it bad that I picked the pilot for my SLF purely on the basis that she was the cutest of the bunch? It's not my fault that most of the inhabitants of space seem to be haggard as hell.

Man, this sounds fun. Keelback may have to be my next purchase after I've dabbled in exploring.

How/where do you hire fighter pilots, and is it safe to let them take control of the mothership every once in a while?

Kyoufu

It's hilarious to see Corvettes and Anacondas thinking they're big and bad by picking on smaller trading ships and then you roll in with your Cutter and drive them out of the system.

Have I mentioned how good the Cutter is?

Alright story time (should've recorded but it's clumsy to get going lol)

I'm in Quince for totally not money making purposes, and from those totally not money making purposes I wanted to take a break and do some CZ hunting. Ordered my Vulture over and took a few missions and was flying to a CZ ~600 ls away...

Anyway i'm getting ready for approach and get bounced by an interdiction. I glance at the chat and see no message so I know it's a player, check the radar and it's a Clipper so I know I can't outrun it so fight it is. I drop out and dump to engines and weapons, to see what kind of weapons buddy has. I face the dude and do a quick rake with my beam (large, fixed, overcharged) and see he is sporting prismatic shields. OK so if I can drop them, he won't be able to restore them before I could cripple him. Dude boosts out and turns to face and starts firing (the blue weapons color are seriously hard to see lol) and he is hitting me with frag cannon shots, it does a number on my shields so I need to probe to see if they are fixed or not. When I drop underneath him I'm only getting partially hits so I'm guessing 2 large fixed and two med gimballed.

Without much shielding left I offer myself up bit and get my shields dropped and hull to ~85% before the bi-weave gets back up. At this point Sys security has shown up in a few Vipers so every bit helps. With shields up I pop a booster and then go sys-weapons to start going aggressive. I manage, with the help of Security to get his shields down with my beam, and at this point I know I have the upper hand as I can freely target modules with my multi (gimballed, high capacity, corrosive). Seeing the advantage at hand I go with my Bale voice and target the FSD to let him know that he's the one trapped in here with me, not the other way around. Beam and mutli going in I manage to get the FSD down to 15% (meanwhile I can keep ducking in and out and restore my shields and his are nowhere near halfway up). I'm assuming this dude knew he was boned with no escape ( could probably outrun me, but I was already targeting powerplant at that point) and pulls the connection to avoid destruction. I'll tally that as kill lol.

Oh and by time I got to the CZ a ceasefire was in place so all the ships were putzing around flying in formation :/

Megasoum

Banned
So that CG....

All rare commodities...

Closest one to the CG Station is 7 jumps away.

I just did a round trip there (so 14 jumps total in my T7) for 15 Units of Gin....FIFTEEN....

Yeah fuck that.

That was enough to get me in the Top 100% but I think I'll go back to grinding my Empire rep and doing Trade loops at 1.3mill profit every runs instead...

Manzoon

Banned
Is there a way to change the UI color? The orange is giving me a headache

It's really annoying that there isn't anything built in for this since it's easy to do with 3rd party sites that spit out an INI file for you, if you are on a console though you are SOL. I believe there is a brightness option for the UI if it's too intense, turning it down a few notches might help.

Edit, what Megasoum said, haha.

Kyoufu

The worst part about the UI for me is that I can't see how much inventory space I have in my Cutter because the ship's interior lighting clashes with the UI clarity. Terrible.

Also I can't tell which ship is Wanted half the time. Frontier pls.

Widge

Combat basics help - what's the best way to turn around? I slam on the brakes, pull back on the joystick and the foot down as I feel momentum being lost.

Kyoufu

Combat basics help - what's the best way to turn around? I slam on the brakes, pull back on the joystick and the foot down as I feel momentum being lost.

Keep your throttle in the sweet spot (blue area) for maximum mobility then you'll have the best turn rate.

Once you've got that down, toggle flight assist off for an even better pitch rate so you can quickly turn. Toggle it back on once you've turned in your desired direction.

Widge

Keep your throttle in the sweet spot (blue area) for maximum mobility then you'll have the best turn rate.

Once you've got that down, toggle flight assist off for an even better pitch rate so you can quickly turn. Toggle it back on once you've turned in your desired direction.

Oh so THAT'S what blue is.

Turning off flight assist will let you turn quicker.

Oh so THAT'S what blue is.

You can also use vertical thrusters to tighen your turns... In big ships with normally crap turnrates, like the Python, the use of vertical thrusters is a must unless you're a master at FA-off.

Vertical Thrust Maneuvering:

Pitch ship nose up = Use downward vert. thruster
Pitch ship nose down = Use upward vert. thruster

The key isn't to maintain vert. thrust throughout the turn, but to thrust hard for a couple of seconds and then let the ship accelerate into the turn, then thrust again to stabilize - rinse and repeat.

With the above you can track small ships in a max. engineered Anaconda, without needing to bother with FA-off.

Kyoufu

I asked this Anaconda player to not steal my kills in the HazRes. He didn't listen.

I rammed him until he had 40% hull. Was going to ram him again until I saw his hull was dropping 1% at a time with cargo hatch failure...

Dude was self-destructing LMAO. I logged out before he could tag me Wanted. LOL

PVP is pointless in E:D when everyone just combat logs. It's so dumb lol.
Yeah it's a bit annoying, but at least on PS4 you can send them a message over PSN afterwards.

I personally plan to never combat log; if my ship is lost then I'll just suck it up and take the rebuy (I will still escape by FSD if that's an option).

I suffered my first death in battle against another player yesterday. I was flying my Fer De Lance against a Federal Assault ship and a Corvette. They interdicted me in the CG system so I decided to submit and fight. It was actually a great battle which lasted 15 minutes. I have G3 dirty drives which allowed me to evade for so long.

I was eventually able to get the Corvette's shields down so next targeted it's FSD. I came pretty close to destroying the module and hull was below 50%. As expected, they combat logged around that time.

I then switched my attention to the Assault Ship. I don't know what the FAS is like to fly, but I noticed it wasn't very fast in a straight line, yet had crazy manoeuvrability. Whatever I tried, even with flight assist off, I wasn't able to get behind it. So then I made the mistake of having a head to head 'jousting' fight back and forth past each other.

The first time I collided, it took me down to one ring of shield and took off all the shield from the FAS. We went back and forth a few times and I was struggling to land much damage with my beam laser and my cannons were missing most shots.

The second collision was devastating for me. My canopy smashed and my hull went down to 2%. I think the FAS was still over 50%. In my panic I decided to boost away immediately. In retrospect I still had a couple of chaff left, but forgot to deploy it. It might not have saved me anyway. The FAS was able to land a final shot or two in my escape and I promptly blew up.

So I suppose the moral of the story is don't have a jousting fight against a ship with a higher hull mass.

Widge

You can also use vertical thrusters to tighen your turns... In big ships with normally crap turnrates, like the Python, the use of vertical thrusters is a must unless you're a master at FA-off.

Vertical Thrust Maneuvering:

Pitch ship nose up = Use downward vert. thruster
Pitch ship nose down = Use upward vert. thruster

The key isn't to maintain vert. thrust throughout the turn, but to thrust hard for a couple of seconds and then let the ship accelerate into the turn, then thrust again to stabilize - rinse and repeat.

With the above you can track small ships in a max. engineered Anaconda, without needing to bother with FA-off.

I'll look forward to a more nimble fly about in my next session, thanks you lot!

In future aims, I like the idea of Keelback and fighter. I would assume I could bung a load of turrets on the thing, make it tanky and then let a dude pilot it while I go all dogfighter.

Or vice versa. I've not used turrets yet but I'm assuming I can just plough about with the trigger held down. My vision is going to one of those simultaneous combat/resource CG's, grabbing STUFF and then mowing down foes.

Top Bottom