• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Man, this sounds fun. Keelback may have to be my next purchase after I've dabbled in exploring.

How/where do you hire fighter pilots, and is it safe to let them take control of the mothership every once in a while?

You hire crew from space stations, in the crew lounge; you can pick from a range of skill levels (more rubbish pilots are cheaper, and take a smaller cut of your profits), but any crew you use for a while will level up their ranks as well (my SLF pilot went up to Novice quicker than I did!). Apparently a rubbish pilot who levels up will take a smaller cut than a pilot you buy at that equivalent level.

Also, remember that if your ship is destroyed, your crew don't get the same clone/telepresence deal you do; if they die in the game they die in real life. That's only for your ship though, they telepresence in the SLF so if that's destroyed no biggie.

I haven't personally let my crew take control of the Keelback, maybe I'll give that a go tonight.

Kyoufu

If you get shot down in a fighter, what happens then? Just appear back in control of ship?

Yep, you have a certain amount of Fighter "copies" to deploy. When the fighter is destroyed you wait for another copy to be ready for deployment.

Personally I let the NPC handle the Fighters.

lordxar

So that CG....

All rare commodities...

Closest one to the CG Station is 7 jumps away.

I just did a round trip there (so 14 jumps total in my T7) for 15 Units of Gin....FIFTEEN....

Yeah fuck that.

That was enough to get me in the Top 100% but I think I'll go back to grinding my Empire rep and doing Trade loops at 1.3mill profit every runs instead...

You are supposed to collect a sample from each listed station from what I gather. So each only has a limited amount. I did the circuit once and hit top 25%. Hit up Reddit's thread about the cg, they have a good path listed and it's really not bad. Just takes time. I will be hitting it again tonight or tomorrow.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Frontier just got $22 million USD. Interestingly, the FD directors (including Braben) no longer have majority control.

Not sure how to feel about this. Let's consult an expert.

giphy.gif

I had a trip to Sag A then I said fuck it and I went to Colonia because it was closer. On the way back I said fuck it again and just killed myself and respawned in a Sidewinder. Exploration is not for me.

~Cross~

I was wondering how they were going to pay for the updates post 2.4 and the team necessary to overhaul the core features. Guess this is how.

Ummm what makes you think this is for elite? They post financial reports every quarter and annual returns and had plenty of cash in hand and two revenue generating titles. They didn't need to secure more money for elite or planet coaster.

They are expanding recently, moved to a larger building and have two unnanounced titles in early stages of development. They are padding their cash reserves because producing them is going to strain them until they start generating revenue.

DrBo42

Ummm what makes you think this is for elite? They post financial reports every quarter and annual returns and had plenty of cash in hand and two revenue generating titles. They didn't need to secure more money for elite or planet coaster.

They are expanding recently, moved to a larger building and have two unnanounced titles in early stages of development. They are padding their cash reserves because producing them is going to strain them until they start generating revenue.

I like to think it means something is actually going to happen in Elite Dangerous in terms of content and design. Don't take this fantasy from me.

So I just played Elite for the first time on my monitor after playing with the Oculus Rift for a few days.

VR has ruined me.

Having my TrackIR at least helped some as I could still look around and whatnot but man, I don't think the clarity of maxed out 1440p gaming is worth the immersion loss.

Just wish setting up my Rift was faster.

StonedRider

So I just played Elite for the first time on my monitor after playing with the Oculus Rift for a few days.

VR has ruined me.

Having my TrackIR at least helped some as I could still look around and whatnot but man, I don't think the clarity of maxed out 1440p gaming is worth the immersion loss.

I feel the same. Playing Elite in VR is another level for me. Despite low resolution and rare stuttering, I play Elite to BE THERE and in I AM THERE (at least my brains are tricked into it). In my first hours I parked my Anaconda near gas giants or stars, reset hmd in one corner of my room to be able to go to another corner near the window just to stay there and enjoy the view. My childhood dream is fulfilled.

And more, after several days of playing in VR I fly much better than earlier, without VR. I did not practice FA Off much, just for emergency turns, but now I can easily navigate in asteroid field with FA Off. Docking was never a problem for me, but now I can do that last boost before entering station with confidence, which I did not risk to do before. And all this crazy maneuvers while bounty hunting in asteroid field! In VR I feel much better where my ship is heading to, how to steer it right.

Yesterday I removed built-in Rift headphones and switched audio to receiver with 5.1 speakers and I love it much more. There is some disposition of close sounds, when side panels open, for example. But all other sounds - engines, fsd charge, other ships fly-by, ambient sounds in stations are much better and positioned correctly. And my ears feel fresh. I think, I will keep this setup in Elite and maybe racing simulators.

SmartBase

VR has ruined me.

What GPU do you have? I've considered getting a Rift but I fear my old 980Ti might not cut it.

I'm enjoying the the weekly community goals currently. You haul shit for a bit on one then shoot shit down for a bit on the other. Rinse and repeat. Do some odd excusions...profit. As I've made cash I've bought bigger ships and made more. If you put in some work and upgrade right you can easily pull 9 to 13 mil per cg per week and that does not include bounties or trade profit. Think I had 14 mil the other day and now I'm at like 42 mil today now that both of last week's paid out. Parked at the new one on lunch and will be space trucking by supper. Couple loads a day and some bounties will see another cash pile next week.

Hm this could be convenient if I can line up CGs close to other activities.

I feel the same. Playing Elite in VR is another level for me. Despite low resolution and rare stuttering, I play Elite to BE THERE and in I AM THERE (at least my brains are tricked into it). In my first hours I parked my Anaconda near gas giants or stars, reset hmd in one corner of my room to be able to go to another corner near the window just to stay there and enjoy the view. My childhood dream is fulfilled.

And more, after several days of playing in VR I fly much better than earlier, without VR. I did not practice FA Off much, just for emergency turns, but now I can easily navigate in asteroid field with FA Off. Docking was never a problem for me, but now I can do that last boost before entering station with confidence, which I did not risk to do before. And all this crazy maneuvers while bounty hunting in asteroid field! In VR I feel much better where my ship is heading to, how to steer it right.

Yesterday I removed built-in Rift headphones and switched audio to receiver with 5.1 speakers and I love it much more. There is some disposition of close sounds, when side panels open, for example. But all other sounds - engines, fsd charge, other ships fly-by, ambient sounds in stations are much better and positioned correctly. And my ears feel fresh. I think, I will keep this setup in Elite and maybe racing simulators.
It does add a lot to the game that's for sure.
What GPU do you have? I've considered getting a Rift but I fear my old 980Ti might not cut it.
I have a 1080Ti

~Cross~

I like to think it means something is actually going to happen in Elite Dangerous in terms of content and design. Don't take this fantasy from me.

They still have over a hundred people working on just elite. They just need to kick out whoever is in charge of designing their shit and put someone that actually cares about fun instead of "Immersion" and frustrating grind as a substitute for challenge.

Also dump the official forums into an acid pool and never look back

iosefe

for you guys playing in VR, how did you calibrate the height? i hit calibrate sitting position and when i play elite my view is from my stomach

StonedRider

for you guys playing in VR, how did you calibrate the height? i hit calibrate sitting position and when i play elite my view is from my stomach

Did you map "Reset HMD orientation" in game controls options to any button? When you press it, view should reset to sitting position.

MarionCB

Define griefers?

Honestly, you come across as a bit of a griefer in your posts. But I'm talking specifically about ones that hang around RESes, wait until you've just finished a hard fight and you're in bad condition with your shields down and then attack you "for the lulz" as they said to me. Then earlier in the day there was a guy who was deliberately leaping into people's lasers so he could "legally" kill them with his Corvette. There was multiple people complaining about that one. Apparently he'd been at it for hours. He tried to do it to me and I only just missed him. And on and on.

Effect

Frontier just got $22 million USD. Interestingly, the FD directors (including Braben) no longer have majority control.

Ed actually provided an update for that in the reddit thread.

[–]EdwardLewis_FrontierSenior Community Manager 49 points 8 hours ago
This is incorrect. David still owns the majority of the company. The direction and operation of the business remains EXACTLY the same. I'm not a finance/shares expert by any means, but I just wanted to step in and say that I know the above for certain, because I asked.

Kyoufu

Honestly, you come across as a bit of a griefer in your posts. But I'm talking specifically about ones that hang around RESes, wait until you've just finished a hard fight and you're in bad condition with your shields down and then attack you "for the lulz" as they said to me. Then earlier in the day there was a guy who was deliberately leaping into people's lasers so he could "legally" kill them with his Corvette. There was multiple people complaining about that one. Apparently he'd been at it for hours. He tried to do it to me and I only just missed him. And on and on.

I only ram into ships who steal my kills in RES despite asking them not to. It's frustrating when you do all the work with limited ammo and then someone takes the kill at the end. I ram those players hard enough for them to leave and repair. They deserve it.

I don't think that's griefing on my part tbh.

MarionCB

I only ram into ships who steal my kills in RES despite asking them not to. It's frustrating when you do all the work with limited ammo and then someone takes the kill at the end. I ram those players hard enough for them to leave and repair. They deserve it.

I don't think that's griefing on my part tbh.

Sorry that it didn't come across, but I meant that in a kinda joking way as there is a glint of glee in your descriptions, haha.

Kyoufu

Sorry that it didn't come across, but I meant that in a kinda joking way as there is a glint of glee in your descriptions, haha.

Well I do get a lot of enjoyment out of ramming jerks. They have to leave to repair and that usually negates the 200k+ credits that they stole from me when I did all the work to kill that damn Anaconda.

I think the worst part of Open Play is combat logging. It makes PVP utterly pointless when you can just close your application/client and get away with no penalty. That's what kills Open Play for me. If you're going to attack my ship, then at least let me kill you lol.

akira28

I think if you're at a RES and a PVP shark pulls you in that's not exactly griefing.

if you're limping away in hyperspace and that same shark interdicts you and kills you, then I would agree.

Megasoum

Banned
All right...firmly into the Top 10% of the CG and it's almost at Tier 8....

Enough for this week... Back to doing trade loops and grinding Empire Rep.

Hylian7

Well I do get a lot of enjoyment out of ramming jerks. They have to leave to repair and that usually negates the 200k+ credits that they stole from me when I did all the work to kill that damn Anaconda.

I think the worst part of Open Play is combat logging. It makes PVP utterly pointless when you can just close your application/client and get away with no penalty. That's what kills Open Play for me. If you're going to attack my ship, then at least let me kill you lol.
I thought they were actually going to do something more about combat logging...I remember they talked about it a little over a year ago. Guess nothing came of that.

I just RES hunt only in solo. To me it just isn't worth dealing with kill stealing players, and while you can ram the assholes, you damage your shields/ship too. IMO it just saves trouble to do it in solo or private group.

Kyoufu

I thought they were actually going to do something more about combat logging...I remember they talked about it a little over a year ago. Guess nothing came of that.

I just RES hunt only in solo. To me it just isn't worth dealing with kill stealing players, and while you can ram the assholes, you damage your shields/ship too. IMO it just saves trouble to do it in solo or private group.

Yeah I just like to play with random people in a Wing. Bounty hunting is much more fun that way. Unfortunately it's usually crowded so it's nowhere near as profitable as solo mode.

I don't think they can do anything about combat logging in a P2P environment. If the game had dedicated servers then your ship could stay active after your connection was lost but unfortunately not possible with P2P. :'(

Another thing I like doing since I bought my Cutter has been acting as police. You know how people buy big ships like Corvettes and Anacondas and then go noob hunting to make themselves feel good? I've been driving those jerks away in CG systems lol.

StonedRider

Actually, Frontier could give bounty to every player who have shot the wanted target within its last seconds. Bounty hunting in multiplayer would be much friendlier. Of course, it will never happen.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm very happy with Mobius. Haven't played in open since the Salome event.

Yep, I play exclusively in either Mobius or Fleetcom. Open is just too toxic for my tastes, I prefer friendly commanders, it makes the game so much more fun and relaxing to play.

MarionCB

Another thing I like doing since I bought my Cutter has been acting as police. You know how people buy big ships like Corvettes and Anacondas and then go noob hunting to make themselves feel good? I've been driving those jerks away in CG systems lol.

You're doing good work there. That's the kind of thing that makes me reluctant to give up open, and why I was so upset.

My first experience with a pirate player was awesome. It was early on when I only had my little cobra, and I was carrying rare goods. They demanded my cargo and I resisted, affronted, but I had no real idea about combat, so they stripped my shields and ripped my cargo hatch off and starting taking cargo. I fled but not before they got a fair bit. I got back to the station and they followed and said "Thanks for the cargo"; well, I'd topped off my cargo hold with Biowaste and it turns out they'd only got that, no rare goods, so I replied they were welcome to my shit and we both had a laugh about it. They could have destroyed me but they were playing a pirate role and weren't trying to be cruel to a noob. That was a good experience.

Lately, I've been having a great time in the CG RES flying in and forming ad hoc wings. Sometimes people will be quiet and efficient, sometimes they'll chat, and there's a nice atmosphere to it. Once last week, one player had just got cascading mines, but had never used mines before, so we went away a bit and I let him experiment with them on me in my heavily shielded, reinforced Anaconda. It was incredibly trustworthy of me, but it turned out very positive. He almost blew himself up a few times but then got better and better until he destroyed my shield generator completely from full shields (and his too haha). He was so happy to start getting the hang of them; it was a fun time you wouldn't get from solo. I hate the idea that jerks could ruin it for me.

Megasoum

Banned
I got to a bit over 75 Millions yesterday with the end of the CG­... I'm so tempted to swap my Tier 7 for a Tier 9 but I know I must resist since I would not have enough to upgrade it.

Manzoon

Banned
Yep, I play exclusively in either Mobius or Fleetcom. Open is just too toxic for my tastes, I prefer friendly commanders, it makes the game so much more fun and relaxing to play.

Is Open that toxic now? I remember when the SpiceyBois were a big deal, but it's been a few months since I seriously put any time in, and it was usually in a private group with a couple of friends or solo when I was out exploring.

I've had some pretty positive Open experiences, but if things have only gotten worse then I can understand not wanting to deal with it at all. I know a couple of people that play on Mobius, and I was always interested, but haven't looked into how you join.

Widge

Oh, so fighting with my throttle I the sweet spot was much better! No jousting!

I'm having a go in my Dolphin next though. Just for a spin. So I'll probably have to have a go at that infamous ship transfer...

Top Bottom