• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

DrBo42

They still have over a hundred people working on just elite. They just need to kick out whoever is in charge of designing their shit and put someone that actually cares about fun instead of "Immersion" and frustrating grind as a substitute for challenge.

Also dump the official forums into an acid pool and never look back

None of this is going to happen. Braben is still happy with the design team. The immersion and grind bullshit is never going away.

sqwarlock

Picked up the game Friday since coworkers were playing it and I enjoyed what I saw. Put in 10.1 hours so far and I'm not even sure how. Hell, I'm not even sure what I'm doing. Just bought an Eagle to maybe do combat stuff but ehhhhh. So far just flying around is surprisingly fun for me.

~Cross~

None of this is going to happen. Braben is still happy with the design team. The immersion and grind bullshit is never going away.

Braben is pretty distant with these sort of things. But things aren't going to change till Sandro gets demoted or moved to another project

DrBo42

Braben is pretty distant with these sort of things. But things aren't going to change till Sandro gets demoted or moved to another project
I'm not sure how distant he is really. He seems pretty invested in the game to be honest. I agree that things aren't going to change until Sandro either has some strict direction or gets replaced.

Yeah I dunno... I thought about it but I'm only doing trade so I'm going for the Anaconda (and the Cutter eventually) so I don't feel like I should spend 70 million on a python when I could wait a bit and spend 110 on a Type 9

Python can land on medium pads though so you can trade at a lot more places.

Sure but right now I'm already doing 1 jump trade loops getting 1.1 million profit with Imperial Slaves so how much more money would I really get using Outposts?

As always it's subject to the BGS but there have been times where an outpost was giving the best prices.

Hell, they've even had CG's before that were at outposts. Was actually nice to not have people in cutters decimating everyone else for the top 10.

Widge

What is the menu setting for inverting look on controller?

I've already got headlook inverted on mouse, but that doesn't seem to translate to controller. There are a million menu options.

Peroroncino

Fuuuuck, I finally did it!

20451923_1602564796472020_8274184155918041213_o.jpg

And I think I'm the first person in the world to achieve the platinum, lol.

Peroroncino

Wow nice. :D

How the fudge did you get into CQC matches? Shit's dead.

There's a pretty small group of people constantly playing, I've befriended some of them and we mostly played together against people that were trying out CQC for the first time, unfortunately I think we've scared most of them from the mode, never to return lol.

TDM is your best bet to get a CQC match.

Widge

Bronze - Mr Magoo: award for terminal dogfight in a pitch black asteroid field
Bronze - NOPE: that's the wrong landing pad!
Silver - 5 x forgot to lower landing gear award
Silver - fingertwister: opened fire in station instead of opening throttle
Gold - I slipped: station ping pong boost by accident when attempting to get to shortcut menu for landing gear
Bronze - no spare change: died without insurance

darkwing

Bronze - Mr Magoo: award for terminal dogfight in a pitch black asteroid field
Bronze - NOPE: that's the wrong landing pad!
Silver - 5 x forgot to lower landing gear award
Silver - fingertwister: opened fire in station instead of opening throttle
Gold - I slipped: station ping pong boost by accident when attempting to get to shortcut menu for landing gear
Bronze - no spare change: died without insurance

yup, got all these trophies

Volimar

What wasn't "What's your least favorite aspect of the game?"

I would answer Engineers and explain why.

Would you be more okay with Engineer sliders if they were skill based rather than RNG? Like you have to click while the slider is in the sweet spot to get the best results.

Manzoon

Banned
Engineering is just poop in its current form, so is Powerplay. Both of these could be amazing if they rehaul them.

Agreed and signed. They had a lot of promise, but the current implementation just seems like a stop gap till they think of something better.

I did that survey and said I wanted improvements to all aspects of the game, haha.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Flew out to Sothis to finish my Fed grind. Federation Unite!

Meanwhile I'm slowly working on Empire rep. Really enjoying doing a mix of delivery, salvage and assassination missions in my Kielbasa. Not sure whether to side with Aisling Duval or Arissa Lavigny-Duval; on the one hand, blue haired space waifu, on the other hand I like the sound of increased bounty payouts and Arissa is the actual proper Emperor, bask in her glory.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Engineering is just poop in its current form, so is Powerplay. Both of these could be amazing if they rehaul them.

IMO, Powerplay puts other "meta games" in other recent titles to shame.

I've been getting into it over the past few weeks, and it's actually quite cool.
Some of the implementation could certainly use improvement, but it gives additional meaning to simple mission running and makes you pick your allied factions more carefully.

I'm having a lot of fun chatting with the SiriusGov guys on their Discord, learning about their strategies and policies and getting some nice lore insight in the meantime.

You can totally ignore it if it's not your thing, or just play it passively for the rewards/cash, but there's a lot of depth there if you're so inclined.

Hylian7

Would you be more okay with Engineer sliders if they were skill based rather than RNG? Like you have to click while the slider is in the sweet spot to get the best results.

Yes, only because I have some sort of control and makes a difference between getting an acceptable result vs getting fucked over by RNG and getting something shitty so you have to start all over again.

Burny

Yes, only because I have some sort of control and makes a difference between getting an acceptable result vs getting fucked over by RNG and getting something shitty so you have to start all over again.

Quite frankly, the RNG based rolls are only half of the Engineer's issue. In the end, all you have to do is grind enough resources to maximize the chance to get a roll with at least a certain positive effect. Much game designz, many skill based mechanicz. But Frontier game design loves to beat what they apparently consider the the risk vs. reward horse to death. They only seemingly never stopped to think that the risk of wasting your time, determined by RNG is piss poor game design. Leading to utter elimination of the risk, by mere means of maximizing time investment. No skill required, other than googling how to get what resource most efficiently. And having a bunch of very active, crafty people who figure out what to get where.

The other issue is the manner of the grinding itself. E.g., spending about two hours finding a famine system with a distribution centre, pointing your ship at a wake and holding the trigger until a timer completes. That's the equivalent of an asian free 2 play MMO, only with less fun involved. It's utterly arbitrary and hopelessly menial, but still convoluted AF. It's like doing a Diablo dungeon and boss over and over for a certain drop. Only minus any of the fun this usually involves.

Then there is the meta issue of idiots white knighting all this shit: "Grind is a state of mind!" "If you don't like it, don't do it!"

Oh right. We will just play the other, more fun activities in the game to get the very much desired and required engineer upgrades (or rank locked ships, really) in a timely manner that doesn't turn the game into our primary job. If only there were such activities.

Megasoum

Banned
Just bought a Type-9...

I love the cargo space but holy shit that thing turns like the Titanic 10sec before hiting an iceberg lol

The type 7 was enough of a barge...friend of mine said the 9 was just a pain in the ass and went back to the 7.

I just looked up the turn rates on a Type 9. WIth max pips to ENG
20°/s for roll and pitch, 8°/s for yaw.
Using class A thrusters (costing extra 70% of the base ship cost!) makes those things better... by 1°/s

The roll rates in all other ships are much faster than their pitch, so the way you fly a Type 9 will feel very different.
I bet it's lots of fun to land on high-G planets...

I think I made the right decision in skipping the T9 and saving for a trade/exploration Anaconda.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah... I'm starting to regret the T-9 purchase... I should have waited to get like 30mil more to go straight to the Anaconda... Sigh

Top Bottom