• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Im in love with your work. I beg of you make a wallet and sell it to me.

Thanks for your compliments, but after using my wallets for awhile and seeing others use my wallet I realise I still need to learn how to make them too bulky and unwieldy to use. If you're still interested though PM me and tell me what you want.

Finished the 2nd bag of my 2 leather bag series. Decided to make it a much more simpler construction this time. Single compartment, using rivets and a stitching style that doesn't take a dozen hours to finish. Decided to try out leather lacing as an alternative. Came out pretty nice if I do say so myself.

I think I might stop going full-on in leathercrafting and start focusing on my drawings a bit more. It's been a fun few weeks playing around with leather though. Super satisfying to make things which I can use myself.

_1012257 by Antiwhippy, on Flickr

_1012260 by Antiwhippy, on Flickr

_1012264 by Antiwhippy, on Flickr

I drew a self-portrait and I liked it so much that I want it on my wall, but framing is another Art all together and I want something that won't take away from the drawing but rather enhance it. Anyone here knows something about framing, like what materials give what kind of vibes?

You might want to post it so we can give you a better suggestion.

Here it is. Hopefully one of you can help me. I like your Billy Hatcher one, looks pretty cute and the color choices are great.
S131XTL.jpg

-PXG-

Thanks. I did a redesign of Beat. I'm satisfied with it, but it's way too rough. I'm actually going over it again, cleaning it up and basically redrawing it. I'll probably post it tomorrow. Might do a quick matte paint too, just like with my Stiletto dude.

Acid08

Banned
Thanks. I did a redesign of Beat. I'm satisfied with it, but it's way too rough. I'm actually going over it again, cleaning it up and basically redrawing it. I'll probably post it tomorrow. Might do a quick matte paint too, just like with my Stiletto dude.
The only critique I have would be it's not very..."hip hop", I guess. Needs more of that street style to fit in with a game like JSR.

zoukka

Haven't drawn anything "free" outside of game projects in a while. Here's something I made today for the conceptart.org challenge (hence the borders and shit).

I'm trying to participate more to them because I sorely lack practice in form building and lighting ;__;

-PXG-

The only critique I have would be it's not very..."hip hop", I guess. Needs more of that street style to fit in with a game like JSR.

Gouji Rokkaku didn't have anything about him that portrayed urbanity or anything from the street. Stiletto is meant to be a villain :p

Also, JSR is influenced by rock, punk, funk and all kinds of electronic music too. Not just hip hop.

EDIT

beat_jsr_2013_cleanupiku4q.png

So yeah, I basically redrew the whole thing. Still can't nail down a color scheme that I'm satisfied with.

EdmondD

Gouji Rokkaku didn't have anything about him that portrayed urbanity or anything from the street. Stiletto is meant to be a villain :p

Also, JSR is influenced by rock, punk, funk and all kinds of electronic music too. Not just hip hop.

EDIT

beat_jsr_2013_cleanupiku4q.png

So yeah, I basically redrew the whole thing. Still can't nail down a color scheme that I'm satisfied with.

Wow. This is awesome.

Loxley

Guess I could post this here, I did a sketch of Tolkien to use as the banner image for the new thread talking about his stuff (I removed the border and text):

tolkienportrait.jpg

Loxley

Here's the art for two pages from a comic book I wrote and illustrated for my senior thesis project (with the dialogue removed):

page7nowords.jpg
page8nowords.jpg

Vinci

Danish
As always, great work, guys! Oh, to have the time to contribute more...as this thread really does inspire with all the awesomeness.

A couple...one almost done, the other just new.

Bnl.png

Reworked some colours, enjoying a cooler colour palette. Still need to add a few more things, but for just some shmoe getting a little late-night scribble in, pretty happy.

Cnl.png

A new one. Will rework some colours etc., and then kick off the background/foreground etc. Lots of foliage and all that jazz.

Keep up the great work, folks. Love it.

Reminds me of Geof Darrow. Very nice.

DEO3

'sup Arts & Farts, it's been a while. My latest scratchy scratch scratchboard:

(Click for larger version)

I did most of the work back in January, but kind of got burned out and didn't get around to finishing it until this morning.

eucharis

Someone I used to know just got accepted to be an apprentice at Disney... I'm so jealous. It made me wonder why am I even going into accounting and not into art. And I know why but why can't I just not worry about my future and do something I love. ugh.

Reminds me of Geof Darrow. Very nice.

Cheers, mate!

Someone I used to know just got accepted to be an apprentice at Disney... I'm so jealous. It made me wonder why am I even going into accounting and not into art. And I know why but why can't I just not worry about my future and do something I love. ugh.

There's no reason you can't do work a normal job and keep running with your art. I'm a teacher by day, and as much as it would have been nice to continue down the art/animation path I originally envisioned, these things happen. At least with accounting, you've got a better chance of a firm financial base to build upon. Then, who knows?

The worst thing is to compare your choices to those of others. That way lies unreliable perspective. Go hard, write the numbers by day, scrawl like a boss at night.

Here it is. Hopefully one of you can help me. I like your Billy Hatcher one, looks pretty cute and the color choices are great.

Hmm. You might want to try frameless mounting but I'm not an expert. I thought maybe there was a frame expert here.

Anyway here are a bunch of doodles ArtGaf!

For Valentine's day:
moonrise_valentine_by_sethard-d5uzv5a.png

expedition_by_sethard-d5uww81.png

This was a commission of Retsu from the 1st SF:
street_fighter_origins__retsu_by_sethard-d5uuooe.png

3_14_by_sethard-d5twbvk.png

Some of the process for the above picture:
pianimation_by_sethard-d5twe6x.gif

goblin_king_by_sethard-d5tgoa5.png

I'd love to see your process for this one.
:(

I never really thought about making a process .gif (saving the file as a png as I go) until I did the Pi piece. And even then I didn't think about it until halfway through the process because I thought no one would believe it was a painting. I will tell you I did use a leather texture for the Goblin picture.

Foxy Fox, I love that Retsu.

Working on a thing for my comic, playing around with some of the background/silhouette assets I've been building up.
Thanks man! It was a really fun commission! The guy already had a backstory where Retsu was a street thug before becoming a monk. Quite interesting.
Goddamn man. Did you photocheck the proportions or just spend a fuckload of time to hone everything in?

Your gif starts so late to the process :)

I did near the end. But yes. I spent quite a while on this painting. First I just sketched it out, then blocked everything in, then started to paint. I had three Photoshop windows open. Two of my painting (one image zoomed out and one zoomed in focusing on whatever I area I was working on at the time) and one window of the reference image. As I worked I would eyeball distances and negative space, which is why you see the tarp at the top get pushed over from the initial rough as well as a few other things and areas.

The majority of the pores and pimples were hand done with some areas being helped by a "skin pore brush"...though the brush was basically splatters of paint so you have to know how to use it. Again this was used very little comparatively. I didn't try to copy his skin (pores) exactly as that would be insane, just the main blemishes. Everything else I made up.

The shirt was painted but helped along with a cloth texture which you can see me add during the process animation, and I even paint under the texture after I lay it down. I chopped the texture and manipulated it to curve with the folds and the way the shirt hung from his shoulders. I also messed with the layer properties as well.

The hair was probably the hardest. It took the most time out of everything. I did try to copy what I was looking at fairly close but if I did an image overlay the placement of a lot of strands and different areas would be really off -- but it doesn't really matter because no one sees the original image.

I'd say all in all it's fairly close but again if I did an image overlay you would see how off I really was to the reference.

eucharis

There's no reason you can't do work a normal job and keep running with your art. I'm a teacher by day, and as much as it would have been nice to continue down the art/animation path I originally envisioned, these things happen. At least with accounting, you've got a better chance of a firm financial base to build upon. Then, who knows?

The worst thing is to compare your choices to those of others. That way lies unreliable perspective. Go hard, write the numbers by day, scrawl like a boss at night.

That's right, I don't know why I was having such a hissy fit earlier. That's true, I don't know what his experience would be or if it would be anything I think it might be. Thank you for your words of wisdom.
: )

Hnng, simply amazing. I see you're looking for commissions. Did you ever think of creating a youtube account to post videos? You can get some pretty good cash since artists on youtube are kind of rare. I only have 400 subs and I only get a couple hundred views on my video a week but I get a couple bucks a month from them. And if you get more than 1k views you'll be making some good money. If you are interested in that I can give you a few pointers I learned along the way.

Prax

ART Gaf should come out with an ART BOOK!

Yes! Make it happen! I will.. TRY to put effort! Q___Q Maybe.. I hope..

Anyway.. latest things I did after trying to not procrastinate!

Some kind of priestess lady.
Technical pens and Prismacolor markers. It had been a while since I even touched the markers so.. I was fumbling around not knowing how they worked. xD And then my scanner doesn't really capture the shades well, but you kind of get the idea, I hope:
the_priestess_by_meibatsu-d5tgqud.jpg

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn stuff! Jill, Tauroneo, and Zihark being Daein's Defenders. It was for an xmas/valentine exchange!
Mechanical pencil, then a bunch of Paint Tool SAI and paper/wood textures:
fe__secret_santa_2012___valentine_2013_for_krad__by_meibatsu-d5uzg4h.png

I finally said "screw it, just finish shading that thing and don't look back", so here's my colouring those flats I had back a page or so ago so I could move onto the next character profile. XD
Paint Tool SAI:
_s2__miss_candy___bold_and_brazen_bounty_hunter_by_meibatsu-d5s72ks.png

Hnng, simply amazing. I see you're looking for commissions. Did you ever think of creating a youtube account to post videos? You can get some pretty good cash since artists on youtube are kind of rare. I only have 400 subs and I only get a couple hundred views on my video a week but I get a couple bucks a month from them. And if you get more than 1k views you'll be making some good money. If you are interested in that I can give you a few pointers I learned along the way.

Hey can i ask you some questions about that? I have an account on youtube with similar number of subs and art videos and was trying to get it monetized. How much do you make off it? I got an email off AdRev Talent Network asking me to become a partner, have you heard of anything like that?

Cheers

PSY・S;47881008 said:
I would definitely purchase an ArtGAF art book.

Awesome! I have no idea how to actually publish a book -- I've done numerous published book covers but that's it. We would probably need someone with experience in actually coming out with a book. I know a few dudes who have come out with artbooks so I could ask them....

Lets say this were a thing. How many people from ArtGaf would be up for contributing?

I'll start the list. Just quote me and add on or just reply and I'll kind of update or keep a tally of the roster:

Foxy Fox 39
Phandy ( Maybe...he hopes!)

Phandy

Awesome! I have no idea how to actually publish a book -- I've done numerous published book covers but that's it. We would probably need someone with experience in actually coming out with a book. I know a few dudes who have come out with artbooks so I could ask them....

Lets say this were a thing. How many people from ArtGaf would be up for contributing?

I'll start the list. Just quote me and add on or just reply and I'll kind of update or keep a tally of the roster:

Foxy Fox 39
Phandy ( Maybe...he hopes!)

hehe, I'm sure I could find the time. We could always just do a little Art-PDF, or just a thread. And everyone does a video game or neogaf related art piece.

I wonder if Sammy is still around, haven't seen anything from him in aaaggges, let alone on GAF.

Mœbius

I'd be up for it, assuming my style is of interest to anyone besides me!

Gilby

I haven't done anything (aside from some basic vector animation for a game I'm working on) since school ended back in May :( I don't have a ton of time lately, but I'd love an excuse to get some practice in before I start my new program in June.

hehe, I'm sure I could find the time. We could always just do a little Art-PDF, or just a thread. And everyone does a video game or neogaf related art piece.

I wonder if Sammy is still around, haven't seen anything from him in aaaggges, let alone on GAF.
Haha it worked! Now, we have got to do this. I like the idea as well of us doing videogame or neogaf related art. Perhaps we could have sections devoted to different areas? VG art, Original, and what-else have you. I'm not opposed to a PDF either. All good ideas.

Sammy was amazing too. Maybe I can track him down somehow.
I'd be up for it, assuming my style is of interest to anyone besides me!
ArtGaf brother!
I haven't done anything (aside from some basic vector animation for a game I'm working on) since school ended back in May :( I don't have a ton of time lately, but I'd love an excuse to get some practice in before I start my new program in June.
So you're in?

Preliminary list:
FoxyFox39
Prax
Phandy
Pirateben
Gilby (??)

There's some other art gaffers I'd love to get in on this. I'll start talking to people and see what's possible in terms of releasing an actual book. But for now we could shoot for just a PDF like Phandy suggested.

Top Bottom