• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Haven't posted here in a while. These are all fairly old, but still decent enough to post here I guess.

halo_reach___srs99_final_by_ajemsuhgao-d53njir.jpg

High Res link

m6c_socom_automag_by_ajemsuhgao-d5gnkrt.jpg

High Res Link

nobody_kexara__s_dagger_by_ajemsuhgao-d51m3w9.jpg

High Res Link

steampunk_sniper_rifle_by_ajemsuhgao-d57wx9j.jpg

High Res Link

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
No socks, its more interesting and fits the concept better as it is :)

Real quick, I bought the Frenden presets the other day .. I think I may have mentioned them before, but theyre fucking GREAT. I feel like my digital inking is finally starting to resemble my analog inking. Tried them with an old character sketch along with Fabian Monks brush set, which I also highly recommend.

About an hour of work.

old_nadia_concept__revisited__by_theragingspaniard-d5w3sz0.jpg

I've added some socks, just as a test.. still not sure though.
I also made some improvements on the backpack and added a string to the camera.
(the hands are beta, still not 100% happy with them)

...Really really cute are you going to cast it??

thanks!
The figure was made with the intention to be casted one day (the backpack wasn't part of the initial figure though)
I made a cast before, but i'm not sure if i'll be able to pull a cast off like that. (moneymoney)
But i would love too, i would like to see people paint him in different colorways or add some other details.

zoukka

Gonna attempt to colour this with a very bright palette. >__>
Let's see how this goes...

sketch___my_boyfriend_s_got_a_cat_by_meibatsu-d5w5vuf.jpg

You've progressed clearly. Really nice dimensions in the characters and the sense of 3D is good. Now just study some face structuring and the art will reach next level. Wrap the eyes, nose and mouth around the skull and facial muscles a bit more accurately. It's very important even in manga style.

Prax

You've progressed clearly. Really nice dimensions in the characters and the sense of 3D is good. Now just study some face structuring and the art will reach next level. Wrap the eyes, nose and mouth around the skull and facial muscles a bit more accurately. It's very important even in manga style.

I'm glad you think so because I have my doubts of improvement! Especially because I am lame and resist doing proper life studies..
Fix it for me so I know how to do it and can learn from example? lol Or.. I can decide if I like it or not.
(Yeah, I should probably go do some life studies instead but bsabfab..)

I feel like I have not progressed at all. My ability really just hovers around this level, and pretty much changes depending on energy/effort. I feel like I could match this with something I drew 5 years ago.

Example: Oh gosh, I drew these freehand with pen and no pencilling/eraser too, unlike the above pic which was sketched out on a tablet and was erased and corrected a bunch! lol So really.. maybe a 5% improvement after 5 years?
The_stories_yet_to_come__by_Meibatsu.jpg
And____ACTION___Zehn__l_by_Meibatsu.jpg

Also, despite not much changing, there's also some kind of rampant inconsistency in my style and I don't know how to settle down and just try to develop one.. or two. >_> Well, that about makes up the most of my artistic angst (besides the being unable to follow through with large personal projects).

Thanks for your input though, Zoukka! I will try to muster up the energy to increase my skill--hopefully to make drawing faster and easier (which is probably my first problem since I would rather focus on speed than quality. I lack so much patience.)

sammy

Word, Foxy Fox 39 PMed the artbook idea over! Yea sign me up, that's a good call. There's all kinds of artists with a range of different art styles and mediums here that would be perfect for an art-book.
Times aren't so easy for creative folks, this could be a great opportunity for many to get work published, out there, and also receive credit for their work.

Phandy

Word, Foxy Fox 39 PMed the artbook idea over! Yea sign me up, that's a good call. There's all kinds of artists with a range of different art styles and mediums here that would be perfect for an art-book.
Times aren't so easy for creative folks, this could be a great opportunity for many to get work published, out there, and also receive credit for their work.

Y u no post work anymore!
Show your blog or here some love <3

Huh, my thoughts are:

Every artist gets up to 5 pages.
Maybe one will be a huge spread over 2 pages. And then 4 other 1 page illustrations. Maybe you only want one page because you don't have the time for more.
Maybe if your art is too low resolution, it will have to share a page with other small art.
If you are shy and don't want to even take a whole page, you can also request your art be on a shared page! :) Credit and name/website/whatever also for each illustration of course, and the game it's related to. Maybe even a 2-3 sentence blurb about the illustration.
And maybe an "about the artists" section for the index or intro? I like those.
(I just like big books lol, so the more content the better)

For criteria of participants, I don't really care about who is active or not as long as they are part of the overall gaf community in some way, but we should definitely have a deadline for sign-up and choose an editor for the book, who will have overall "creative director" role.
And then definitely some kind of deadline for the illustrations to be handed in. lol (I am a very flaky artist without a deadline!)

Preference is for full colour illustrations, but black and white/greyscale is also okay.
We can also divide the book into different game genres? And the last section for mashup/crossover work.
I would very much prefer for the artwork to be "new" for the book and not be posted in full anywhere else for the public until the book/.pdf is finished (teaser images are okay to show though! Especially for "advertisement" lol), but I'm not sure people will have time for that.

Uhhh.. well, that's my thoughts anyway! I will elect Foxy Fox 39 to be the main mediator because he brought it up first! XD
Love these, Prax. You're awesome man! I'm currently organizing some ideas trying to figure this out. I'll post it sometime later this week! HYPE!
YES!

ARTGAF list, let me know if I missed anyone:
FoxyFox39
Prax
Phandy
Pirateben
Gilby
Raging Spaniard
MrBig (maybe)
DM_Uselink
Demon Lizardman
Loxley
Timo
zoukka
Servbot24
Xun
-PXG-
Winterfang
eucharis
sammy(!)

Ok anyway now for some art:

C.B.

I've been a lurker on gaf for...years now and only decided to make an account quite recently. I'm super nervous because this is my first post ever on the form and I always really liked the arts and farts thread and wanted to one day post in it. It was quite convenient that it was bumped today! So here:

i9FGANHGkjDDE.jpg

I hope it's okay to post? (I didn't think it was NSFW because there's not really any bits...nor will there ever be, but if it's considered NSFW then I'll remove it right away! or crop it or something...)

Anyway, I only started painting it today so its really really rough, but I'm happy with how it looks so far so I thought it might be a good first picture to share with you all. I watched "The Fall" the other day. Really inspiring movie!

Please don't hate me gaf (*´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;)&#65417;~~&#12288;I just want to be art buddies (&#65377;&#65381;&#969;&#65381;&#65377;*)

Also Foxy Fox 39 you have a great sense of style in your work!

Question for Art-GAF: The only real troubling complaint I hear about the Cintiq 22HD is the fuzzyness caused by the anti-glare coating. Does anyone know how this issue varies between the 22HD and the 24HD? That might be a deciding factor between the 2 models for me.

Ran rp

I've been a lurker on gaf for...years now and only decided to make an account quite recently. I'm super nervous because this is my first post ever on the form and I always really liked the arts and farts thread and wanted to one day post in it. It was quite convenient that it was bumped today! So here:

i9FGANHGkjDDE.jpg

I hope it's okay to post? (I didn't think it was NSFW because there's not really any bits...nor will there ever be, but if it's considered NSFW then I'll remove it right away! or crop it or something...)

Anyway, I only started painting it today so its really really rough, but I'm happy with how it looks so far so I thought it might be a good first picture to share with you all. I watched "The Fall" the other day. Really inspiring movie!

Please don't hate me gaf (*´&#12539;&#969;&#12539;)&#65417;~~&#12288;I just want to be art buddies (&#65377;&#65381;&#969;&#65381;&#65377;*)

Oh man, I am loving your style. You need to get some work into the artbook!

C.B.

PSY&#12539;S;48287310 said:
Oh man, I am loving your style. You need to get some work into the artbook!

Oh wow thanks! I would really love to participate, but being that I literally only had my account activated like, two days ago, I felt it wasn't really fair to be apart of it and just randomly jump in and ask about it. But would certainly want to if possible!

Have lots of backtracking to do with this thread now though that I'm an actual member....anyway thanks again!

Oh wow thanks! I would really love to participate, but being that I literally only had my account activated like, two days ago, I felt it wasn't really fair to be apart of it and just randomly jump in and ask about it. But would certainly want to if possible!

Have lots of backtracking to do with this thread now though that I'm an actual member....anyway thanks again!

Well the artbook may take a while before we have everything together so I wouldn't sweat it. Just keep posting man. Your work is great.

eucharis

WOW! CB your art is simply stunning! Post more! :D

Prax

Welp, I ended my struggle with a very conflicting colour palette. XD
Yeah, I probably could've thought this out better, but oh well! Enjoy being blinded.
my_boyfriend_got_a_cat_on_a_neon_afternoon_by_meibatsu-d5w9dei.png

Also.. lol.. the background. Lost patience.

zoukka

I'm glad you think so because I have my doubts of improvement! Especially because I am lame and resist doing proper life studies..
Fix it for me so I know how to do it and can learn from example? lol Or.. I can decide if I like it or not.

My critique was nothing major. It's just something I struggle with myself and noticed you had some minor inconsistencies in the same areas as well :) Here's what I meant:

RQCw6AD.png

Now the example is not better or worse than the original because the style changes, but I just wanted to point out how such a simple trick of laying out some guidelines that are roughly based on the skull, help to pin eyes and mouth so that they align in perspective.

The charm of your linework is gone in the example and I haven't drawn manga style in ages :b It was fascinating to simply just open someone elses work in PS and draw over it. You truly start to appreciate the unique individual quirks all of us have! You have great delicate lines in the faces of the characters. I could never reproduce the subtleties.

Thanks for your input though, Zoukka! I will try to muster up the energy to increase my skill--hopefully to make drawing faster and easier (which is probably my first problem since I would rather focus on speed than quality. I lack so much patience.)

We all share this problem. You can't do anything new "fast", because all learning is a slow process in drawing. I'm sure you can create your characters very fast at this point compared to many artists. I would suggest some colouring studies next if you aim to sell your work. The linework is already adequate enough :)

Prax

My critique was nothing major. It's just something I struggle with myself and noticed you had some minor inconsistencies in the same areas as well :) Here's what I meant:

Now the example is not better or worse than the original because the style changes, but I just wanted to point out how such a simple trick of laying out some guidelines that are roughly based on the skull, help to pin eyes and mouth so that they align in perspective.

The charm of your linework is gone in the example and I haven't drawn manga style in ages :b It was fascinating to simply just open someone elses work in PS and draw over it. You truly start to appreciate the unique individual quirks all of us have! You have great delicate lines in the faces of the characters. I could never reproduce the subtleties.

We all share this problem. You can't do anything new "fast", because all learning is a slow process in drawing. I'm sure you can create your characters very fast at this point compared to many artists. I would suggest some colouring studies next if you aim to sell your work. The linework is already adequate enough :)

Oooh THANKS! I see what you mean.
Also, WHY did I not think about ROTATING the image, especially when SAI makes that so easy too? Gosh, that would have helped!

I did change that guy's eye slightly based on your previous input though! So he looks better in the coloured image than in the previous lienart. The other dude's still a little skewed now that I look at it, but it's passable. lol
Heheh.. I am very amused how you made him look more caucasian with your changes too. (Also the googly eyes one almost made me do a spittake..)

Haha, yes. I have to figure out where I want to take my colouring since I find shading so tedious in general. I uhhh.. the next image I try to colour will have better colour choices hopefully. Maybe I will use a reference to make a background for once too.

zoukka

Most clients want just clear and readable colouring. I might as well say "generic", because that's my personal experience :)

For your own stuff, don't worry about it too much. Just experiment and keep things lively/varied. No reason to limit yourself to boring reality.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Finished up a new wallet (though it's more like a purse I guess) which I'm happily using now after a series of failed experiments. Nice and compact while being able to carry coins, which is key for a wallet I'll use.

Also easy access back for quick access to commonly used cards (bus card and bank card)

_1012318 by Antiwhippy, on Flickr

_1012314 by Antiwhippy, on Flickr

_1012330 by Antiwhippy, on Flickr

C.B.

WOW! CB your art is simply stunning! Post more! :D

Thank you! Very nice of you to say. I don't want to clog up the thread with old art from over eagerness. But here's some stuff I've finished a bit recently that I think still hold up. First one is a commission, second a personal work, and last a character from a comic book I'm working on.

iPNBZPPb4sgBU.png

i56YIjNu7UAkP.jpg

ibncb3pMGLqLW3.jpg

I'll just post some newer and mostly finished stuff so I'm not popping up way too often. But thanks for the warm welcome!

And Prax, I totally feel you with trying to get use to painting and getting the right pallet/colour choices. Have you ever tried doing studies of other artists' work? Though I'm not advocating copying or "stealing" someone else's style, I find that trying to work out how some of your favourite artists work can get some cogs rolling and force you out of your comfort zone quite quickly, and help you learn much more quickly. Just my 2 cents anyway!

I also was wondering, do any of you guys do livestreams of your work? I often livestream (get to meet people who enjoy your work and just chat and bounce ideas off each other)...think I might do tomorrow to try and finish up mr. blue chickadeedude.

GXUc3TD.png

Part of some studies I made about my friends and their fears. Pretty small, 10 in total.

Edit: I don't want to double post so I'll just say that your work is beyond beautiful C.B. Please post more.

Timo

EzxoRTY.jpg

Little promo thing for a book i'm in that debuts in comic stores tomorrow, Spera Vol. 2. If you see it give it a look.

Phandy

EzxoRTY.jpg

Little promo thing for a book i'm in that debuts in comic stores tomorrow, Spera Vol. 2. If you see it give it a look.

You're in Spera? Have you written a story for it?
I've read some bits and pieces from the first one, it seemed really awesome, had some really great work. I really should pick up the whole book.

Timo

You're in Spera? Have you written a story for it?
I've read some bits and pieces from the first one, it seemed really awesome, had some really great work. I really should pick up the whole book.
Its all written by one writer, Josh Tierney. He just gets a lot of different artists to illustrate it. Ive done three stints on Spera, once for the original online colaboration, once for this book out today (volume 2), and recently they did a online series called Glass Flowers i did a five pager for. You should check it out, lots of great artists on it. Sam Bosma is gonna be in volume 3, which im super excited about.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Its all written by one writer, Josh Tierney. He just gets a lot of different artists to illustrate it. Ive done three stints on Spera, once for the original online colaboration, once for this book out today (volume 2), and recently they did a online series called hlass flowers i did a five pager for. You should check it out, lots of great artists on it. Sam Bosma is gonna be in volume 3, which im super excited about.

Thats awesome, congrats!

I wanna be in books like that :| Sam Bosma is AMAZING

Xtyle

Been working on a comic book by myself since last year and here are some characters I made over the holidays. These aren't necessary reflect the art that's in the comic but character design / colors will remain the same basically.

Char 1 Main Character - Note, I may still have to move her pantie up a little more as a fix
YukiPUR.jpg

Char 1 Main Character - different costume used in a section of the story.
YukiALT.jpg

Villain - not sure if this is final design yet
bad normal.jpg

Villain corrupted and transformed - Yes I know you are thinking Akuma!
Villian_Boss.jpg

Male Main Character - there is a chance I may use him as Villain instead
herobright.jpg

One of the 3 female in the story. She's one of those manly girl type. Missing shadow and background. Don't have final drawing on this computer to upload. There is a chance I may switch this design as main character instead.
sisterA.jpg

Here's the original design of the female main
yuki_28_960.jpg

Line art
yuki_10.jpg

An old piece I made. A style I may use for the comic
warrior's demise.jpg

I also want a tip. What are the steps you need to take in order to get rid of the bluish tint you get from using flash/scanners while trying to digitalize your art.

Xtyle

Help me GAF. So I'm working on my color/shading/detail. I'm not very good with it, because I've never really ever done it. I want to get into it.

Pointers???

Edit:
probably be consistent on 1 light source...basically think of where the light is from and stick to doing the shadow accordingly. another thing too, I see that your dress doesn't have much detail to it so I guess before you want to do shadow on it, you want to know how that dress is moving so you can detail it accordingly with color/shadow. if you have never done this kind of coloring process, you may want to at least draw some detail on it as a separate layer that you can use as coloring guide (but don't necessary show in the final as it is a layer). Not an expert on this either. Curious to see how others do it:)

legacyzero

Banned
Edit:
probably be consistent on 1 light source...basically think of where the light is from and stick to doing the shadow accordingly. another thing too, I see that your dress doesn't have much detail to it so I guess before you want to do shadow on it, you want to know how that dress is moving so you can detail it accordingly with color/shadow. if you have never done this kind of coloring process, you may want to at least draw some detail on it as a separate layer that you can use as coloring guide (but don't necessary show in the final as it is a layer). Not an expert on this either. Curious to see how others do it:)

Yeah, that's a WIP for now, and I only included just base colors, and intended to add color shading to it after.

Feran

I also want a tip. What are the steps you need to take in order to get rid of the bluish tint you get from using flash/scanners while trying to digitalize your art.

If you're talking about preparing scanned artwork for coloring in photoshop, maybe a tutorial like this?

Xtyle

here's a colored version. Without background.
sisterA2-2.jpg

wow the hair looks real back with the compression. Here's a close up. Crap I just realized I have to fix her hairline on the skull as now the skull seems too big due to how much of the skull is showing (Edit, fixed)
sisterAhead-2.jpg

C.B.

Well I think it depends what you're using the line work for. Are you planning on keeping the line work or just going to paint over it?

If you're using photoshop, there are a few ways you can change the over all tone, it just depends on what you want. If you want to change the hue of the entire picture (this works pretty well for line art only as you're really only working with two major colours - your lines and the white of the paper), then you can use "Hue/Saturation" in the Image/Adjustments drop down bar.

You can also use "Colour balance" and mess around with the scales in there and change the three tones (between mid-tones, light, and shadows) and get some pretty interesting wash type effects. Like the paper has been dyed.

If you're wanting to get a very specific colour to your line work and your paper, you can use a gradient map. Having it range from black, then to the over all colour you're wanting to show within the white of the paper, then to white. The usefulness of using a gradient map is you can control how much of each area is effected by a particular colour....

It can be a bit tricky with line work that hasn't had it's contrast adjusted, so you might want to go to "brightness/contrast" and darken your image just slightly before messing around with the tones and hues.

I hope that all makes sense and helps. I can make picture guides or something if it doesn't make much sense in text.

However, if you're wanting to have super crisp line art to stand alone, then these probably won't help....I would just re-ink it digitally manually.

I'm really bad at digital art, I did those with the Polygonal lasson on photoshop and are very pixeladed. But I still like to share them.

I actually like these. Have you tried working in higher resolutions and dpi to reduce pixilation? Might help, but I never really use the polygonal lasso tool so I wouldn't be sure.

blank_abyss_by_tosgos-d5wbn3o.png

just a reinking of an old piece. What are you guys methodologies for selecting colours? Just randomly chose them or do you go by pallettes or kuler for example?

Top Bottom