• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

So this thread is full of very talented people, you know?

This is a thing.

DM_Uselink and all others are encouraged to apply = D

I would totally apply but I'm in Michigan and I have little to no 3D experience. :(

Anyway ArtGaf don't get too restless. Im still kind of planning this ArtGaf Artbook. I don't want to post my ideas until I run them by Eucharis first! Be excited though!

I would totally apply but I'm in Michigan and I have little to no 3D experience. :(

Anyway ArtGaf don't get too restless. Im still kind of planning this ArtGaf Artbook. I don't want to post my ideas until I run them by Eucharis first! Be excited though!

I want to be part of this. Do we still need Raging_Spaniard's approval to begin?

MrBig

I'd really like to see new original work produced for this btw, not just portfolio dumping :)

YES!!
jumping_man_excited.332122530_std.jpg

I want to know what the theme is and the limitations and stuff. Like for example size, settings etc...

lol wait what?
lol

edit: Ok. So I had a prelim meeting with Eucharis. I think an OT may be in order. We're kind of getting all the information needed together for that. Just stuff that you guys might ask or need to know. Again if anyone is super familiar with releasing an artbook contact me! Like I said Im talking to some people about it but the more the merrier!

I can echo that subject matter is game art. We'll address file size/settings a bit later as well. I will say right now it would be a good idea to kind of create some sort of group where we can all communicate a little better than in this thread -- and it would be more efficient for deciding who and how many are doing art from X game or X era. Skype or Email would probably work the best for that? That way I can pool information a bit easier. If you have a skype name and are willing to talk from time to time just PM me.

m0dus

Banned
Modus we'll have to take you on a journey of self discovery to test your limits and passions!
(We'll make you draw an mmorpg like ether saga online)

Just kidding! I can't wait for the OT.

I am confused :)

I was thinking, I can definitely put something new together as well, whatever is assigned, though the stuff I've already done is along the same lines, and it was made for gaf (based on votes/my poll thread), soooooooooooo. Use 'em too! That'll count as a few submissions :)

Love these, Prax. You're awesome man! I'm currently organizing some ideas trying to figure this out. I'll post it sometime later this week! HYPE!

YES!

ARTGAF list, let me know if I missed anyone:

Ok anyway now for some art:

Oh Oh ::raises hand:: I'd definitely be interested in something like this! I'd love to be part of an artbook!

Here's something I've needed to man up and finish, been noodling with it for months.
charactersheets_joss5_zps94ba20c0.jpg

eucharis

I was thinking, I can definitely put something new together as well, whatever is assigned, though the stuff I've already done is along the same lines, and it was made for gaf (based on votes/my poll thread), soooooooooooo. Use 'em too! That'll count as a few submissions :)

I like how you put a smiley face at the end : D

Don't worry we won't force you to do anything! Foxy is the spokesman so I feel like if I say anything I'll be divulging in secrets that I shouldn't be. If you would like to use old art I'm pretty sure you would be free to do so but I like the idea of using new work you made that shows your new tricks and honed skills you didn't have before. : )

Ahh so beautiful! ;O;
The shading on her left thigh looks so realistic.

UrbanRats

Oh Oh ::raises hand:: I'd definitely be interested in something like this! I'd love to be part of an artbook!

Here's something I've needed to man up and finish, been noodling with it for months.
charactersheets_joss5_zps94ba20c0.jpg

I like it.
One thing though (and maybe it's just me) her right hand gets a bit lost and my eye keeps confusing it as a part of the jacket, at first sight.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

Do you have a version that isnt as compressed? I can probably give you some color crits/paintover if youd like. Looks like a nice improvement btw :)

C.B.

Leave the body like that and work in the background, foreground and accessories. It should look amazing.

Leave it? I could never! I think I'm getting to a point where it's going in the right direction though. Hoping it comes out all right in the end. Also,

Self Explanatory.

WRMAwvj.jpg

I'm quite fond of this one actually. Reminds me of my dog and her squishy face.

Really like this one too, pose and colour choice especially.

Posting these other bits because I'm still working on that blue picture :/

I haven't done any pencil work for a little while now. I find myself trying to do more finished works which..they just take so long for me! Really wish I had the speed some people have. Older commissions I did sometime at the end of last year. I did a sort of spin off of the Starwatcher character Mobius has floating around. Someone like it enough to commission me to draw them again. Second one is starting to feel really dated to me though already haha.

I'm quite fond of this one actually. Reminds me of my dog and her squishy face.

I haven't done any pencil work for a little while now. I find myself trying to do more finished works which..they just take so long for me! Really wish I had the speed some people have. Older commissions I did sometime at the end of last year. I did a sort of spin off of the Starwatcher character Mobius has floating around. Someone like it enough to commission me to draw them again. Second one is starting to feel really dated to me though already haha.

First of all Thank you =).
Secondly, Looking really good, are you going to paint them? So far it looks like a pretty cool looking manga, I really dig how the pen and pencil co-exist so perfectly. Nothing I've seen before.

The panels are pretty boring though, they are all the same size and very symmetrical and organized, like it a window. I think even the slightest change, like making one longer than the rest or even organize a row kind of like bricks will give it a better flow in my opinion.

Well to be honest dude, after your post, I had the same question. I have only contributed four or five pieces over the last 6 months and although I volunteered I'm not really sure I should be a part of it now...

Yeah I also got a strong " We don't like your kind around here" vibe from it.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Apologies if you guys thought otherwise. This book was not my idea and its not my project ... plus, contributing to this thread is the best possible way to be a part of art GAF anyways :)

The panels are pretty boring though, they are all the same size and very symmetrical and organized, like it a window. I think even the slightest change, like making one longer than the rest or even organize a row kind of like bricks will give it a better flow in my opinion.

I disagree. The panel structure works because it shows a character getting around town doing mundane things and the panel layout reflects that. Its not an exciting activity and making the panels more exciting or making one bigger than the other leads bigger impact to one activity over the other and it really doesnt seem like its the point of the story at this point in time.

MrBig

Eh, the way I was looking at this was a sort of GAF community project where people would be creating stuff for it together rather than a personal place to show off whatever work you've done in the past, which can be published in any manner of medium on your own.

There seems to be a few things that need to be addressed. A lot of this info will go into the official OT when that happens (though before I make an OT Id really like everything to be as solid as possible...right now things are still very nebulous) but anyway, until then... I wanted to say that although it may have come out a bit odd, I like that Raging was thinking about that. I really don't want any stone unturned and its preferable to talk about any ideas an artist may have now than later.

To mitigate the newcomers vs. vets problem I was thinking about separating them in some way or making a special note of it. Not too sure how the logistics of that will work. Including everyone here but also a cheeky nod to those who have contributed to Arts & Farts and the general artistic side of Gaf for a while now would be a really awesome thing to do. I'm throwing some ideas around and I'd definitely be cool with having a third head for our Skype meetings...

I really want the book to be a randomish assortment of style and technical skill; however, I do want it to be very professional. Everyone should be prepared to put their best foot forward... We will critique and help if you think you need it. This is a collaborative project! Id rather not have a bunch of really crazy super awesome art limited to one section of the book. I'd like the viewer to be engaged from start to finish.

We will have a cutoff though. The book wont come out until sometime next year(??), but we could cut the "applications" right here, right now. No new batch of junior members may join. You had to be a member by 3/11/13 to have joined. When the book eventually comes out, the newer members already with us hopefully will have "earned" their keep so to speak. I think this is a good idea to avoid further confusion. So far we only have two juniors on the list. Im totally fine with this as they are both pretty awesome. Most everyone else has been here for at least a couple of months.

I'm also settting up a google doc spreadsheet. I've collected everyone's user name, join date, member status and tag.

Right now what all the artists can do is PM me your Skype if you have one or PM me with your email.

Anyway an updated list I'm really excited about the people that have been added! We're 25 deep!
FoxyFox39
Prax
Phandy
Pirateben
Gilby
Raging Spaniard
MrBig (maybe)
DM_Uselink
Demon Lizardman
Loxley
Timo
zoukka
Servbot24
Xun
-PXG-
Winterfang
eucharis
sammy
m0dus
Pylon_Trooper
dosh!
C.B.
bangladesh
thebaroness
Really excited for everyone that has recently joined! I haven't addressed nearly everything that needs to be but lemme know if you've got questions!

Prax

There seems to be a few things that need to be addressed. A lot of this info will go into the official OT when that happens (though before I make an OT Id really like everything to be as solid as possible...right now things are still very nebulous) but anyway, until then... I wanted to say that although it may have come out a bit odd, I like that Raging was thinking about that. I really don't want any stone unturned and its preferable to talk about any ideas an artist may have now than later.

To mitigate the newcomers vs. vets problem I was thinking about separating them in some way or making a special note of it. Not too sure how the logistics of that will work. Including everyone here but also a cheeky nod to those who have contributed to Arts & Farts and the general artistic side of Gaf for a while now would be a really awesome thing to do. I'm throwing some ideas around and I'd definitely be cool with having a third head for our Skype meetings...

I really want the book to be a randomish assortment of style and technical skill; however, I do want it to be very professional. Everyone should be prepared to put their best foot forward... We will critique and help if you think you need it. This is a collaborative project! Id rather not have a bunch of really crazy super awesome art limited to one section of the book. I'd like the viewer to be engaged from start to finish.

We will have a cutoff though. The book wont come out until sometime next year(??), but we could cut the "applications" right here, right now. No new batch of junior members may join. You had to be a member by 3/11/13 to have joined. When the book eventually comes out, the newer members already with us hopefully will have "earned" their keep so to speak. I think this is a good idea to avoid further confusion. So far we only have two juniors on the list. Im totally fine with this as they are both pretty awesome. Most everyone else has been here for a few months.

I'm also settting up a google doc spreadsheet. I've collected everyone's user name, join date, member status and tag.

Right now what all the artists can do is PM me your Skype if you have one or PM me with your email.

Anyway an updated list I'm really excited about the people that have been added! We're 25 deep!

Really excited for everyone that has recently joined! I haven't addressed nearly everything that needs to be but lemme know if you've got questions!

Aw man, I wish I had a tag now.. :(

--Hey guys, maybe we can get a Kickstarter started for the funding of the Gaf artbook. I bet we can totally convince people to help fund it! Our stretch goals can even be better book make, fancier inserts/posters/designs, if there is music gaf, maybe a soundtrack. Just think of the possibilities! Even just some of the more professional members being able to spend more time and energy for something special.
XD And then all the overflow proceeds can go to Child's Play or something.

PM sent~

I have been busy for the last few weeks with.. wedding planning stuff. Wah.
So here's one of the things I've been able to do because it was related to it: banner for invite. Style inspired by Gigi D.G. (that woman is so awesome..)
wedding_invite_banner_by_meibatsu-d5xjp1i.png

Aw man, I wish I had a tag now.. :(

--Hey guys, maybe we can get a Kickstarter started for the funding of the Gaf artbook. I bet we can totally convince people to help fund it! Our stretch goals can even be better book make, fancier inserts/posters/designs, if there is music gaf, maybe a soundtrack. Just think of the possibilities! Even just some of the more professional members being able to spend more time and energy for something special.
XD And then all the overflow proceeds can go to Child's Play or something.

PM sent~

I have been busy for the last few weeks with.. wedding planning stuff. Wah.
So here's one of the things I've been able to do because it was related to it: banner for invite. Style inspired by Gigi D.G. (that woman is so awesome..)
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/068/d/5/wedding_invite_banner_by_meibatsu-d5xjp1i.png[/QUOTE]

Nice work Prax! And yes me and Eucharis had like a 2 hour meeting. Kickstarter was brought up multiple times. Definitely an avenue we are considering. First though we are looking to compile as much info and knowledge to know exactly what we're all getting into.

m0dus

Banned
Leave it? I could never! I think I'm getting to a point where it's going in the right direction though.

Really like this one too, pose and colour choice especially.

Ah thanks. It's based on a black and white photo in an old art manual. I was dying for a value reference.

eucharis

So I'm working on some points for the OT and I just wanted to make sure you guys were ok on this. Since the theme is games... copyright games I want you guys to know that we will be going into some shady territory. I found a great wikipedia page that discusses fan-art and the legalities of it (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Fan_art). Though commercial fanart in the artist community seems to be fairly widespread with no real known repercussions (accept when dealing with Disney).

I feel that I'm being overly worrisome with this so if that is true just ignore this. Through all the videos and forums I've read on the subject most of the time when fan artists get caught the first offense from the company is to just stop selling what they are selling. And I sent Foxy a kickstarter link that was a fan book of video games (at school atm I'll post the link when I get home tonight). Kind of crazy how kickstarter is ok with funding fanart books... so then I guess it's ok? (since I know some publishing companies only print original work)

I think I'm the only one worrying about this... I just want to make sure that everyone knows what they're getting into haha. Sorry foxxy if this should be discussed in the OT! I'll stop spamming arts and farts now!

m0dus

Banned
So I'm working on some points for the OT and I just wanted to make sure you guys were ok on this. Since the theme is games... copyright games I want you guys to know that we will be going into some shady territory. I found a great wikipedia page that discusses fan-art and the legalities of it (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Fan_art). Though commercial fanart in the artist community seems to be fairly widespread with no real known repercussions (accept when dealing with Disney).

I feel that I'm being overly worrisome with this so if that is true just ignore this. Through all the videos and forums I've read on the subject most of the time when fan artists get caught the first offense from the company is to just stop selling what they are selling. And I sent Foxy a kickstarter link that was a fan book of video games (at school atm I'll post the link when I get home tonight). Kind of crazy how kickstarter is ok with funding fanart books... so then I guess it's ok? (since I know some publishing companies only print original work)

I think I'm the only one worrying about this... I just want to make sure that everyone knows what they're getting into haha. Sorry foxxy if this should be discussed in the OT! I'll stop spamming arts and farts now!

Hmm. Whatever is decided, I'm on board for entirely new original stuff too

UrbanRats

I disagree. The panel structure works because it shows a character getting around town doing mundane things and the panel layout reflects that. Its not an exciting activity and making the panels more exciting or making one bigger than the other leads bigger impact to one activity over the other and it really doesnt seem like its the point of the story at this point in time.

I agree with the Spaniard.
Panels' size and form basically dictates time in a comic, and the actions represented in the scene are somewhat the equivalent of an evenly cut montage of someone searching around, in a movie, you don't want one cut to last longer than the others, because no single cut has to be more important than the previous (aside from the last one).

eucharis

Hmm. Whatever is decided, I'm on board for entirely new original stuff too

Yeah... I was asking some printers some advice and one wrote this: "You might want to check into copyright laws a bit before committing a lot of energy into an end product that might bring you some grief."

I think I'm freaking out too much but I don't know. I thought another idea would be to let your creativity go wild and do something like if you created your own games what your worlds and characters to be/look like. Or like knock-offs of games eg like a special scene from Zelda but upon further inspection you see that Zelda is actually a girl with black hair and other little changed details(parodies?). (Sorry foxxy! I should wait till next Saturday to talk about this! ugh!)

I wonder if this is really going to hinder finding a printer, I wonder where fan artists go to get their books printed. It sucks that a lot of artists don't like to share their sources. I don't really know if We can find a legit printing company doing copyright work.

I'll just leave it at that and ask Foxy next week what his ideas for the book are on commercial success or just a small print for neogaf members and experience/fun for all of us artists.

So I got some cheap Verithin Prismacolor pencils and I'm not exactly sure what's the point of them. The tip is very hard and they don't blend easily, they are also very light so I don't think drawing with them is useful either.

I want to make the best of them and I'm not sure what to use them for.

CPCunha

agm.png

Just a cropped development of a piece. Slowly building the damn thing up. Been so swamped of late with work and other responsibilities that getting some scribble time was very nice indeed, if only for an hour or so.

Will work out more detailed colours/shadows/whatchamacallits etc., but for now, just assembling and getting the paint splashed is cathartic.

Pylon, your work is amazing. I'm really curious as to what software you use for those images... i'm totally an analog artist and i'm struggling to get things moving with a tablet.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hey folks, been awhile since I've actually posted in here. I recently started a tumlbr where I've been mainly drawing random bosses from various videogames. Here's a few of the choicer ones so far:

ezekial45

Banned
Cheers mate. They're part of a glacial project I'm doing with two other folks.

Think a new Terran Trade Authority meets 2000AD.

Yeah, I get that vibe. It looks really awesome. To me, I get some Monster Hunter vibes from it as well. It seems like it could be awesome concept for a sci-fi take on MH.

When it's complete, I hope we can see how it all turned out. Please share it with us when it's done.

Thanks JujuBeads, it was for a close friend so I wanted to catch her likeness as close as possible.

Quick Falcon Sketch. Pardon the crappy photo, I have bad lighting at home.

CYUtB7g.png

C.B.

Awesome awesome awesome.

First of all Thank you =).
Secondly, Looking really good, are you going to paint them? So far it looks like a pretty cool looking manga, I really dig how the pen and pencil co-exist so perfectly. Nothing I've seen before.

Thanks! And actually both things are entirely graphite, but I have some Derwent 2,3 and 4B pencils that get lovely dark. Also, as far as your pencil debacle, what type are they? Like value wise. It sounds like you got a hold of technical pencils, which will be in the H range. They're super hard and only come out really light, even with a lot of pressure. I tend to use these as well on more finished pencil works. They have their uses certainly, but you may want to invest in some B range pencils. The higher the number in the H range, the lighter the lead, and the higher the number in the B ranger the darker. F and HB seem to be the sort of mid point between the two.

I find H range useful to do really delicate gradients, and B range useful to get really deep values.

As far as the comic page. Well. that's literally all there is to it. It's not part of an actual comic or anything at all. That was one of the commissions, and I though instead of just doing one random page like thing, I though it would be better to have a sort of overview of the life of the character. So yeah, I think mundane montage of a pseudo nomadic lifestyle best describes what I was going for haha.

I see your one bird and raise you a 100 birds.

100_bird_sprites_by_neorice_by_neoriceisgood-d5x2gba.png
These look amazing! Are they for anything in particular? For whatever reason they kind of remind me of picross for the DS, like when you complete a level with few mistakes and the thing animates. So good.

Face is coming along, I didn't want to update with the full picture again as it probably doesn't look -that- different. Sometimes when I'm working on a slow moving picture I make a wall paper out of it, so I feel guilty every time I minimize photoshop to open something else.

I have 0 focus today...I might actually livestream tomorrow. Will there ever be an end? I think not.

Thanks for the tip CB. Yeah the colors certainly act like an H type pencil. They don't blend easily, they are very light so I can't really use them for drawing. I'm having a very hard time finding use for them

Even worse is that I one of my greatest weakness when I draw with pencil is that I press it too lightly, so even freshly drawn pictures with rich prismacolor pencil look old and washed out. But with those Verithin colors, you can't even see what I'm doing.

Maybe I should start drawing ghosts lol.

Esit: front post yet again? Goddammit.

noooo_by_blkcelebration-d5xtl14.png

stap_by_blkcelebration-d5xtkuy.png

Thanks Pylon_Trooper and angelicshadow! This thread moves fast now, sorry if I haven't responded to some others in the past.

The artbook is gonna be awesome. I don't have any suggestions at the moment. I think it does need to have a video game influence though.

Why not have you make your version of certain game? Not just your interpretation of it, when you take already existing settings and draw them in your style but like starting from scratch.

Like for example the new DMC compared to the original.

eucharis

I think I'm freaking out too much but I don't know. I thought another idea would be to let your creativity go wild and do something like if you created your own games what your worlds and characters to be/look like. Or like knock-offs of games eg like a special scene from Zelda but upon further inspection you see that Zelda is actually a girl with black hair and other little changed details(parodies?). (Sorry foxxy! I should wait till next Saturday to talk about this! ugh!)

I'll just leave it at that and ask Foxy next week what his ideas for the book are on commercial success or just a small print for neogaf members and experience/fun for all of us artists.

Winterfang That might not fall under parody laws though. Ill spend more time this weekend looking this up since it feels a bit cruel to be talking about this right now and not getting foxys opinion on it. But you guys should be informed as well since it is a group effort.

DM_uselink Yeah! With your art, this book is really going to be amazing :D

Raging Spaniard

Oh btw, Dreweyes needs to be on the list, I mean, he made this freaking thread (and hes great)

Top Bottom