• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

How good it is to hear that there's still Pencil & Ink guys out there...

i'm transitioning from graphic design (heavily digital) to a more artsy, illustration style, but i need to be able to do illustration work on the computer also... just having a hard time with tablets... something i've never done before.

Anyways, here's my "transition portfolio"... the idea is to increase the analog section and gently remove any traces of my creative director days.

www.nothere.co

ps. it LOVES chrome... but i cant guarantee it will work right with 'em rest...
"=0)

I love the site and all the artwork, sir! I'm curious to know what you use for the shades in the sketchbook pieces...copics? Pitts? Because goddamn, grayscale work on paper gives me unashamed tumescence.

MrBig

i'm transitioning from graphic design (heavily digital) to a more artsy, illustration style, but i need to be able to do illustration work on the computer also... just having a hard time with tablets... something i've never done before.

Anyways, here's my "transition portfolio"... the idea is to increase the analog section and gently remove any traces of my creative director days.

www.nothere.co

"=0)
Needs much much much less clicking to see your work. You have to click for each project/section and then click again to see each piece by itself. Why would you make someone work in order to see what you're capable of? Most of your best work should really be visible as soon as the site loads with no clicking, so that you're able to entice people to bother delving into the rest

LuffyZoro

www.nothere.co

"=0)

The site and drawings look good, but I think you should be able to click on the sides of the pages to flip back and forth instead of clicking on the tiny link.

Nilaul

heroes_by_aggelet-d5j9wsb.jpg

Thought Ill share this... Panagiotis Angeletakis from Greece did it. I love it.

Collete

I was messing around with Artrage trace feature and apparently I can make drawings in less than hour using it. Who knew. (The photo was a cup of tea I took last week, and I traced over it. It's kind of bad so apologies but it was a good doodle in my opinion.)

Ken

I was messing around with Artrage trace feature and apparently I can make drawings in less than hour using it. Who knew. (The photo was a cup of tea I took last week, and I traced over it. It's kind of bad so apologies but it was a good doodle in my opinion.)

Very painterly!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im digging through my old college art and I found this tutorial on drawing nipples that I drew on ... toilet paper?

Its actually pretty good, but yeah, NSFW

zoukka

Im digging through my old college art and I found this tutorial on drawing nipples that I drew on ... toilet paper?

Its actually pretty good, but yeah, NSFW

It's weird how the most unlikely surfaces can feel so right. For example, I have never found any medium as satisfying as drawing straight on a school desk. All those masterpieces washed away after every lesson...

Collete

Very painterly!

Thanks!
Artrage itself is a program that emulates a painter's canvas and tools. So most of what is produced kind of look like actual paintings (but I've seen preview images where it looks nothing like a painting...still got a lot to learn about the program =_=)

C.B.

I understand you're just starting out drawing and getting back into the swing of things, but I suggest not to trace, as you're really doing yourself a disservice. You're sort of creating a gap between your hand and brain and the form of your subject. What will happen is instead of learning how a form behaves in an environment, you will draw what you will assume is how a form should be have in -every- possible environment. In the long run, tracing is pretty counter productive. I would say that you've at least learned a deal about colour theory from that exercise though!

I'm mostly making sheets of 100 sprites for background props/decoration in a comic I'm doing.

What's it called if you don't mind me asking?

EXACTLY OMG. That's me every time I contemplate buying one. I'm so superstitious and scared I have to sleep with a nightlight on sometimes (used to be all last year and I'm 20...).

Wow, £28 per proof per image that's bs. Haha exactly. Wow, I didn't know that ahh I can't wait for your calibrating post I need to follow you thank you! : D I've seen some screens for artist that are around $1k if not more, would you ever spend that much for one?

Yeah, the whole buisness was a cluttered mess. I found a different printing place since then, but even still, having to pay £10 a proof plus shipping just isn't good enough, especially for something that will be trail and error.

Also, I wish I could spend that much on a screen, but I can't see myself doing that any time soon. Maybe if I was rolling in it I would, because it would be like re-investing in your own business, but it's not really worth it if you're trying to make money from your stuff and not really...making enough to cover the expense. But yeah, I'll more than likely post that bit about calibrating and what not on my tumblr or my blog. I'll let you know when I drop it!

irFCwwGtuxBXn.jpg

This is basically the only thing I've painted today haha. Most of my time was colour correcting this thing for printable purposes. Spent most of my day learning about file types and what does what and why and what is the best for printing and so on.

Jhoan

No socks, its more interesting and fits the concept better as it is :)

Real quick, I bought the Frenden presets the other day .. I think I may have mentioned them before, but theyre fucking GREAT. I feel like my digital inking is finally starting to resemble my analog inking. Tried them with an old character sketch along with Fabian Monks brush set, which I also highly recommend.

I just bought the blue pencil set yesterday and messed around with it for a bit earlier. It's pretty damn good! It responds pretty well to the amount of pressure I put on the tablet which is sweet. I started laying down the basics for a drawing but I keep forgetting to use layers. Thankfully, I added them in but I'm afraid it's already mucked up. I'll see if I post a work in progress shots of the stuff I've left incomplete once I get home (I'm at school). Seeing your process screen grabs are pretty good/educational.

Flek

Banned
hey guys,
if you had 6h a day for 2 weeks to create 30 original works how would you do it?

iam curently having this problem and would love to hear how you would structure your day to get the most out of it creativly ?

zoukka

hey guys,
if you had 6h a day for 2 weeks to create 30 original works how would you do it?

iam curently having this problem and would love to hear how you would structure your day to get the most out of it creativly ?

Maybe start by trying to manage 2 pieces a day. So divide the day in half. If you need to sketch all the pieces first, then use a few days for that and then begin the actual rendering.

What kind of pieces are those? 30 is a heck of a lot.

Flek

Banned
its for the university aplication :/

the works can be anything sketches, digital art, photography and more. but if possible only 2 a kind. Also 10 of tgese works have to follow a given theme

edit:
so if you run out of ideas what are you doing to spark your creativity? Take a walk? Change location? Google something? Do you have favourite sources?

zoukka

so if you run out of ideas what are you doing to spark your creativity? Take a walk? Change location? Google something? Do you have favourite sources?

Whatever works. For 30 pieces though, I think planning is key. Plan ahead of what mediums you will use and how many times each. Then it's easier to plan your schedule (one day for photos, two for drawings etc).

Prax

hey guys,

Procrastinate a bunch? LOL

Anyway, serious things I might do:
Can you divide the time or does it have to be a 6 hour chunk?
I would spend 3 and 3. Or 1.5 x 4.

On the first day:
Sit down for the first half hour and scribble out ideas or write a list of ideas.
Spend the next hour sticking to one of the ideas to flesh it out. Then whatever happens, move onto the next one for an hour. Then the next one for an hour.
Now you have 3 semi-formed images and you can spend 30 minutes each to refine them more. And then you can muse for the next 30 minutes because hopefully by then you have thought of a good theme or bunch of pictures you can make.
These were 3 warmup pictures anyway, but add them to your portfolio.

And then spend your remaining days making 2-3 images each. (1.5 hours for each image, then extra half hour for each image to refine them? Possibly more time if you only want to make 2 images that day and are running behind.)
Hopefully you will have a surplus by the end and can choose the best ones. Or will have an extra day to refine all of them.
If you are finding yourself lacking for ideas, just open a dictionary or book or turn on tv or random search wiki or tropes and make something based on whatever you see. The deadline is tight, so you don't need some kind of master inspiration, right?

If 10 have to follow a theme, leave that third out for one period of 5 days.
My suggestion would to be something that can easily fall into some thematic sense but still be any kind of style and can vary. Something like a guy hallucinating throughout his day, or walking through a dream sequence. lol Then it can almost be a comic and tell a story. You can make it nonsequitors or have an actual coherent plot (like a nightmare unravelling or something).

Yeah, that all sounds good. Unfortunately, I think if it were up to me.. pure procrastination until the last few days. <__<

jujubeads

wip. im having lots of trouble with her face. ive redrawn her facial features a few times but something about it still looks a bit "off" to me. its like the lower half of her face doesn't quite fit with the upper half. very weird.

zoukka

wip. im having lots of trouble with her face. ive redrawn her facial features a few times but something about it still looks a bit "off" to me. its like the lower half of her face doesn't quite fit with the upper half. very weird.

Make the same face in mirror or photo it. It's the best way to see what's off if anything is.

C.B.

As well as doing what zoukka suggested, have you tried flipping your images horizontally while working on them? I find this helps point out jarring mistakes that you aren't necessarily used to looking out for.

zoukka

As well as doing what zoukka suggested, have you tried flipping your images horizontally while working on them? I find this helps point out jarring mistakes that you aren't necessarily used to looking out for.

Yes gotta have that transform - horisontal flip on a hotkey :)

I have been on GAF a while now and recently found this thread lots of good stuff guys. I had some free time last night while watching the game and did quick piece.

tumblr_mjw0ndG7zP1rz2t2qo1_500.jpg

jujubeads

Make the same face in mirror or photo it. It's the best way to see what's off if anything is.

thanks guys. im a compulsive flipper but i hadn't considered the "make a face in the mirror" trick. it gave me a few ideas to try out.

I've been lurking Arts & Farts for a while now. Easily my favourite thread on Gaf.

Here's an old clay bust I did years ago while at school. The photo is more recent.

I hope to share more painting and illustrative work soon, I have a new set up now and I'm still getting used to it. :)

I scanned this painting I did many years ago and enhanced it a bit :

n40hTI7.jpg

I also did this recently, based on a photograph, after a loooong break with traditional painting :

QRs6fFd.png

Kinda happy with it, although I can already see what's wrong with it. Felt good to actually get back to painting and drawing though.

Thought I'd post some pictures I did a little while back.

Was into Max Ernst at the time with his techniques for stimulating the imagination like frottage, or fumage. I called this 'Crayonage' you just scribble madly over a piece of paper, until the colours are really quite dense. I then used a black biro, and 0.5 Rotring to find forms and shapes inside them.

This is Marilynium

Marilynium_zps3b763e5c.jpg

Collete

Thought I'd post some pictures I did a little while back.

Was into Max Ernst at the time with his techniques for stimulating the imagination like frottage, or fumage. I called this 'Crayonage' you just scribble madly over a piece of paper, until the colours are really quite dense. I then used a black biro, and 0.5 Rotring to find forms and shapes inside them.

This is Marilynium

Marilynium_zps3b763e5c.jpg

That is beautiful, I love it. Looks really original as well.
Like high school doodles, but more well done.

Flek

Banned
Procrastinate a bunch? LOL

Anyway, serious things I might do:
Can you divide the time or does it have to be a 6 hour chunk?
I would spend 3 and 3. Or 1.5 x 4.

On the first day:
Sit down for the first half hour and scribble out ideas or write a list of ideas.
Spend the next hour sticking to one of the ideas to flesh it out. Then whatever happens, move onto the next one for an hour. Then the next one for an hour.
Now you have 3 semi-formed images and you can spend 30 minutes each to refine them more. And then you can muse for the next 30 minutes because hopefully by then you have thought of a good theme or bunch of pictures you can make.
These were 3 warmup pictures anyway, but add them to your portfolio.

And then spend your remaining days making 2-3 images each. (1.5 hours for each image, then extra half hour for each image to refine them? Possibly more time if you only want to make 2 images that day and are running behind.)
Hopefully you will have a surplus by the end and can choose the best ones. Or will have an extra day to refine all of them.
If you are finding yourself lacking for ideas, just open a dictionary or book or turn on tv or random search wiki or tropes and make something based on whatever you see. The deadline is tight, so you don't need some kind of master inspiration, right?

If 10 have to follow a theme, leave that third out for one period of 5 days.
My suggestion would to be something that can easily fall into some thematic sense but still be any kind of style and can vary. Something like a guy hallucinating throughout his day, or walking through a dream sequence. lol Then it can almost be a comic and tell a story. You can make it nonsequitors or have an actual coherent plot (like a nightmare unravelling or something).

Yeah, that all sounds good. Unfortunately, I think if it were up to me.. pure procrastination until the last few days. <__<

thx man this sounds like a great plan. Iam afraight i might end up procastinating too

Here's an old clay bust I did years ago while at school. The photo is mor....

thats a very good sculpt, nice! always good to see other ppl doing clay :]

2 recent projects, one video game related!

i always hated the curvy back of the gameboy color, so i'm going to create a DMG styled gameboy color with epoxy
(currently preparing the back to add the gameboy details)
ibevPVIEOvT9Ux.JPG

and a super early wip shot of my kimjongILteddybearcostume sculpt

ibzDSKYKsb1gam.JPG

iMoLqt2JaE9H3.JPG

Didn't post the other picture I dug out. This was produced by using a 3h or 4h pencil to just lightly scribble stuff then using pen and ink to find figures and forms, afterwards erasing the pencil. Result was this Jacobean Storm Trooper with pet Coypu, Snail and ectoplasm.

Restoration Blitzkrieg

restorationblitzkrieg_zpsd0fb5d61.jpg

jujubeads

I also did this recently, based on a photograph, after a loooong break with traditional painting :

QRs6fFd.png

Kinda happy with it, although I can already see what's wrong with it. Felt good to actually get back to painting and drawing though.

that looks pretty great to me. what do you think is wrong with it?

jokkir

Posting one of my friends work because it's just way too impressive to just leave on Facebook

8lzj8yL.jpg

Goddamn, wish I could digital paint like that. I have little experience on computers and just don't have enough patience to do something with a lot of detail >__> I don't even think he does the basic shape steps with his drawings and just draws straight away and from what I know, didn't have any real art classes (except maybe highschool, I guess)

some stuff that is on my backlog of "unfinished" (pretty much 99% of my collection is unfinished... i need to stop doing that)

crash_bandicoot_3_by_blitzcloud-d5y8dsn.jpg

squall_vs_seifer_by_blitzcloud-d5y8eae.jpg

trunks_by_blitzcloud-d5y8lzb.jpg

sefiroth_by_blitzcloud-d5yaqho.jpg

kratos__god_of_war__by_blitzcloud-d5y8mtz.jpg

kula__kof__by_blitzcloud-d5yawu7.jpg

squall_leonhart_by_blitzcloud-d5y8lhs.jpg

jack_bauer_grayscale_by_blitzcloud-d4hqkck.jpg

well, that's gonna be a long post all right.

Can I make a request? Could someone possibly make a small image, or a banner saying something like "Team Feathers" "Team Feathers JP4" or "We Want Feathers for Jurassic Park 4" while incorporating a feathered dinosaur, or something similar? It could be cartoony, simple, realistic, whatever. I'm just looking for some imagery to help support the want for feathers in Jurassic Park 4. (if you are interested you can follow and support @TeamFeathersJP4 !)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yo guys, I hate to ask for $ and I feel weird about making a thread for this, but my wife just launched a Kickstarter yesterday and Im trying to help spread the word.

Shes a fulltime game artist, but shes trying to get her side business going. Its mostly product design, t-shirts, that kind of thing and were making a plushie out of one of her new characters, Crabapple

1491f2c6c76298c705e5a69580c79099_large.jpg

3540e40f868a138ac968ded0ba9f63c4_large.png

If you can check it out and spread the word a bit, I definitely appreciate it! Kickstarter is here, twitter here.

Thanks!

thats a very good sculpt, nice! always good to see other ppl doing clay :]

and a super early wip shot of my kimjongILteddybearcostume sculpt

ibzDSKYKsb1gam.JPG

iMoLqt2JaE9H3.JPG
Thank you :) KimJongTeddy is looking great. Please post once he's done.

Another of mine from around the same time as the Old Man above. Working out my teen angst with another bust, hehe.

I remember it being inspired by the album art from The Prodigy's Music for the Jilted Generation.

And a Pigeon doodle using ArtRage on the iPad.

Still getting to grips with the Bamboo tablet along with Sketch Book Pro 6 at the moment, it is proving pretty difficult.

eucharis

Wow you guys have such talented/ lucky girlfriends!

Ahh Seth that's so cute and you're so lucky Marceline is so hot e__e *ugly sobbing (Oh no Mori's going to read this!) I'm glad your girlfriend liked it it looks amazing!

Raging Spaniard: Your wife is so creative that plushie is adorable. If she hasn't already done this why don't you talk her into making tumblr and having a giveaway on there? I would also recommend making a youtube account but it takes a bit of awhile to get subs there (for cutesy stuff if you're not making tutorials 24/7) if you're not already known. http://oborochann.deviantart.com/ has a cult following on deviantart so when she moved to youtube it was very easy for her to get a bunch of subs there. As I can tell she's recently made a tumblr and it's ok (she gets at least 30 notes on each post)...... BUT this girl got around 50 notes on all of her stuff including fanart until she had a giveaway http://indolentjellyfish.tumblr.com/post/45802759316/i-thought-it-would-be-fun-to-do-a-little which she got 13k notes for and about 26 sales on her etsy. So if done correctly she can get a lot of recognition and help for her kickstarter. It might be just the people I'm following but pastel goth kawaii stuff is still pretty popular on tumblr.

Top Bottom