• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Burli

Pringo
Have a merry octopus everybody!

8294594263_0500d75364.jpg

Awesome!

Skidd

PSY・S;45813104 said:
Hey guys my tablet came in today. What Windows compatible drawing/painting software do you guys recommend?

SketchBook Pro has excellent pencil tools for drawing and linework, and if the default ones don't do it for you, you can create your own with multiple options.

Also, it supports PSD. files which is super helpful for me when coloring.

Ran rp

SketchBook Pro has excellent pencil tools for drawing and linework, and if the default ones don't do it for you, you can create your own with multiple options.

Also, it supports PSD. files which is super helpful for me when coloring.

I tried it out and I love it, the only problem is that no matter what I do pressure sensitivity won't work with SBP anymore :/ It was working for a while but now it refuses to even after several reinstalls of SBP and the tablet drivers. Pressure sensitivity works everywhere else though.

Nevermind! It looks like my issue was that Windows kept installing generic tablet drivers alongside the official drivers and that was creating conflicts. This is definitely my favorite program out of the several I tried.

cluto

Fighting with this perspective thing.

Looks like you have multiple vanishing points when you only need one for this kind of perspective. Also make sure your vanishing point is on the horizon line. Your brush style and colors look good though.

Prax

Oh boy, sketch dump time for the last doodles of 2012...

- Random sketch request of a muscled anthro bird and a wizard rabbit for art request thread. XD
20121217_sketchrequest_by_meibatsu-d5odtsc.jpg

- Secret Santa featuring Young Justice Dick Grayson + someone's OC.
sgpa___gift_exchange___to_sapphiredean__by_meibatsu-d5p3ixb.jpg

- Christmas comic doodle of life philosophy. lol
ok_prax____by_meibatsu-d5p7jnf.jpg

- Secret Santa pic featuring person's OC (the dragonish woman) and my OC (the blacksmith guy~).
myriad_saga__secret_santa___to_samaryllis___by_meibatsu-d5pb2fh.png

- Sketches! Some old from 2008 (turtle dude), but most of them new~ (lol, don't mention how I have not improved much)
end_of_year_sketches_and_stuff__by_meibatsu-d5pfcqf.jpg

- More sketches of Nemesis because I think she's adorable..
moar_sketches_of_nemesis___by_meibatsu-d5pipd1.jpg

- And a demon character design~!
grae_the_red_by_meibatsu-d5pmhl4.png

And HAPPY NEW YEAR, ART GAF~!!
okay_prax__have_a_happy_new_year__by_meibatsu-d5pzpe6.png

Maybe I will actually get some real projects done this year instead of all these distraction things. XD

k guys. I have 4 art assignments due in a month and I haven't started any of them... even though I've had the past two weeks off uni.

How do you get through that initial stage of "I can't be fucked/this is shit/I've nothing to draw"?!

I've never procrastinated this much in my life..

403063_10151327929370977_61569030_n.jpg

^that's not mine btw, just an appropriate pic lol

Gazunta

Man, you guys are killing it. KILLING IT!

I hit the 1,000th comic strip on FunnyWebComic yesterday. Felt great. Then incredibly daunting trying to do the 1,001st. But here it is anyway.

Hey, while we're on the subject of art, a local library has hired me to teach kids how to draw a comic book cover next weekend. Any of you guys have any suggestions on what to...uh...cover? It's only an hour and a half so it won't be going into crazy detail, but I figure I'll show some classic covers, point out what works (strong logo, clear image of the main character doing their thing, dynamic poses, a story hook...)...but any suggestions you have would be neat as hell.

(I might cross post this in the comics thread)

Edit: Good holy Christ my comics are way too tall.

Maybe I will actually get some real projects done this year instead of all these distraction things. XD
k guys. I have 4 art assignments due in a month and I haven't started any of them... even though I've had the past two weeks off uni.

How do you get through that initial stage of "I can't be fucked/this is shit/I've nothing to draw"?!

I've never procrastinated this much in my life..
I wish I had more time and discipline and do more art. Talent and skill are there, just need to actually DO IT :/
You guys sound waaay too much like me. (Also all your SNs start with the letter P, lolwut)

We might need to start a help group or something. The hardest part about getting stuff done... is getting started in the first place!

Oh boy, sketch dump time for the last doodles of 2012...

And HAPPY NEW YEAR, ART GAF~!!
okay_prax__have_a_happy_new_year__by_meibatsu-d5pzpe6.png

Who's OC is that in the Dick Grayson pic? I think I might know her.

Prax

You guys sound waaay too much like me. (Also all your SNs start with the letter P, lolwut)

We might need to start a help group or something. The hardest part about getting stuff done... is getting started in the first place!

P for procrastination.
Q___Q Yes. Forgive my infinitely distracted ways, artistic universe..!

The OC is named "Alice". She's made by sapphiredean from Deviantart. Do you know her? :eek:

highrider

Banned
Really dig your work human shield. This is more of a craft project. Batting helmets Maryland Cyclones softball. A lot of work actually.

20130107_142525.jpg

20130107_151552.jpg

20130107_151623.jpg

20130107_151649.jpg

20130102_104445.jpg

highrider

Banned
Nice!
I dig your paint booth!

lol. i wish i could even consider owning my own downdraft booth. the zoning laws in maryland are brutal. the shop i work for was established in 1954. it nearly impossible to even build a paint facility here. it's actually a big reason why i do the work is having free use of it.

Hey guys! Never posted in this thread, I've actually tried to avoid it for the most part because none of my recent work is drawing or painting and I never post my sculptures because there is a lot of nudity and I'm not sure if its SFW, but I just finished my first set of applications to grad school so I figured I'd post some of my stuff! I'll probably just have to post links so I doubt they will get much attention, but here!

Balling of the Queen

Blighted Ovum

The rest are slightly more NSFW (molded from real body parts and stuff)
Just a Peek NSFW

Full Dress NSFW

Whole Enchilada NSFW

Obligation NSFW

Ahh thank you! I was wondering what kind of materials you used modeling? I'm sure you also casted items did you use resin?

Your image is great, cant wait to see it inked and colored. For the linked pictures, I used wax casted in silicone (just a tube of caulk and white paint mixed together). I get wax much cheaper than resin, so I've never used it to cast, plus fusing wouldn't be as seemless.

The other piece is made from Human hair and raw wool that I felt into spheres and wool that I hand spin, then dye both.

eucharis

Your image is great, cant wait to see it inked and colored. For the linked pictures, I used wax casted in silicone (just a tube of caulk and white paint mixed together). I get wax much cheaper than resin, so I've never used it to cast, plus fusing wouldn't be as seemless.

The other piece is made from Human hair and raw wool that I felt into spheres and wool that I hand spin, then dye both.

Ahh that must of been a lot of fun to do; sadly I'm weak I can't stomach scary looking stuff even talking about ghost I start to cry (getting teary eyed just typing this). How have you come to embrace and show off your creations without getting scared yourself? (Could also be that I'm WAY TOO superstitious too) I have two OC's one and angel and another a demon and I wanted to make postcards saying Greetings from Heaven and Greetings from hell but I chickened out thinking it would bring spirits to my house... God I sound so crazy xD I'm way to superstitious....

Also does the wax melt when you handle it too much? I've only used epoxy putty/ resin/polymer clay and an assortment of air dry clay. Have you used materials like that before?

Ahh that must of been a lot of fun to do; sadly I'm weak I can't stomach scary looking stuff even talking about ghost I start to cry (getting teary eyed just typing this). How have you come to embrace and show off your creations without getting scared yourself? (Could also be that I'm WAY TOO superstitious too) I have two OC's one and angel and another a demon and I wanted to make postcards saying Greetings from Heaven and Greetings from hell but I chickened out thinking it would bring spirits to my house... God I sound so crazy xD I'm way to superstitious....

Also does the wax melt when you handle it too much? I've only used epoxy putty/ resin/polymer clay and an assortment of air dry clay. Have you used materials like that before?
Well, when I did my B.A. Thesis Show, all of my pieces were casted from my own body, part of my breasts and my vagina. At first I was unsure about how I would present this to others, but my number one thing in making art is whatever you make, you had better have conviction. To me, thats the most important thing as an artist, to believe in what you're making. If you dont, then why are you making it? All my pieces have dealt with Gender, femininity and fertility. I dont actually think of these pieces as scary or shocking at all. I do like to make people come closer to my work, to have them interested in the ambiguity of the pieces.

I've never done pieces about religion, I'd like to eventually. Been thinking a lot about using things we treasure and hold dear, things that others would find useless and turning them into religious icons or shrines.

I'd love to see your other work, especially the religious ones! When I was younger, I was always envious of comic book artists, I draw and paint, but I've never felt that I could actually illustrate. I'm hoping to get back into drawing and painting next month. Last year I was working on a series where I would dye and bleach paper and then burn patterns into them with a wood burner, I'd like to continue experimenting with that, maybe drawing on top before burning.

highrider

Banned
SMemo_05-1.jpg

SMemo_04.jpg

Io.jpg

20130110_174255.jpg

Some new s memo doodles. Also I wasn't happy with the hard lines on the helmets so I used 1/16 inch tape to grab contours of the bill.

eucharis

Well, when I did my B.A. Thesis Show, all of my pieces were casted from my own body, part of my breasts and my vagina. At first I was unsure about how I would present this to others, but my number one thing in making art is whatever you make, you had better have conviction. To me, thats the most important thing as an artist, to believe in what you're making. If you dont, then why are you making it? All my pieces have dealt with Gender, femininity and fertility. I dont actually think of these pieces as scary or shocking at all. I do like to make people come closer to my work, to have them interested in the ambiguity of the pieces.

I've never done pieces about religion, I'd like to eventually. Been thinking a lot about using things we treasure and hold dear, things that others would find useless and turning them into religious icons or shrines.

I'd love to see your other work, especially the religious ones! When I was younger, I was always envious of comic book artists, I draw and paint, but I've never felt that I could actually illustrate. I'm hoping to get back into drawing and painting next month. Last year I was working on a series where I would dye and bleach paper and then burn patterns into them with a wood burner, I'd like to continue experimenting with that, maybe drawing on top before burning.

Ahh the angel and demon one is about angels and demons and how they have come into our existence from our imagination and how desensitization and dilution of souls (over population and the like) has left humans unable to create any more of these spirits. It’s an adventure on how Ascillas (the angel) must come to terms with this and figure out the purpose of life. My goal for this year is to start the comic and make some lesbian fairy tale comics too xD I made some charms of them:
il_570xN.401552191_3lp0.jpg

That’s cool I don’t think I would ever have the guts to do that. Starting your thesis did you know you wanted those pieces (your body parts) in for sure? Did you major in sculpture? LOL you’re cute “At first I was unsure” XD. I agree with that, I dropped many projects because my heart wasn’t in them anymore (or that was just unprofessionalism lol).

That would be cool I love little trinkets especially little papers and tiny things like matchboxes decoupaging them with images (I don’t do this now but when I was a kid I was obsessed with that stuff). YES their still amazing (comic artists) but I guess practice makes perfect. Hmm do you work digitally at all? Ahh do you have pictures of them? That sounds cool.

Working on a cover. All the things in this sans the birds are *probably* going to be redrawn, since they're quick doodles to help position things (not to mention the fact that the cut-out job was really rushed). Mutant hands!

Gonna experiment with putting other characters in the open space, changing the pose/expression to be less passive, etc.

Ugh too much good stuff in here, I am not that great, but whatever, Ill share.

Here's a Juvenile Pachycephalosaurus I did a few years back:

SxcZk.jpg

I have some massive shading and perspective issues on this, and I screwed up the teeth. But anyways, comments and criticisms? I may post more later, but most of my stuff is sloppy and unfinished.

Top Bottom