• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Some stuff from my old job. All drawn on Tablet PC with MS Journal! Yes, the free notetaking app in Windows, LOL.

035.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

047.jpg

051.jpg

067.jpg

I've been meaning to post some stuff here forever. Here's a few kind of old things I've done. I actually work as an artist for a tropical clothing company during the day, so I am always drawing new stuff, but these aren't from my day job, they're either freelance stuff or just whatever:

brando.jpg

voodoo2.jpg

flo.jpg

whytecolor.jpg

marchposter.jpg

monte_2.jpg

bonefishkb6.jpg

Oh wait, that last one is from my day job.

Prax

Fanart of Project Oblivion because uhm.. though I am not in love with the character designs presented, I want to like the game and this character, and the thread about the update was full of whinging and I felt it needed some fan appreciation..

And more prize art for someone.
It's their character, who is a villain or some sort!
I kind of like the oldschool feel it gives me.. like a stereotypical anime villain. XD

EDIT: I did slightly edit it after a couple of suggestions and after staring for a while and being really irked by his leg. XD Hopefully it's less irksome now and I may rest.

Servbot24

Banned
Nice! The cast shadow is distracting though, I'd make it more of a solid shape, would help with the composition and keeping the eye on the figure :)

Prax

Nice! The cast shadow is distracting though, I'd make it more of a solid shape, would help with the composition and keeping the eye on the figure :)

Thanks! Yeah, I got frustrated when it came to the background and gave up pretty fast to finish colouring him instead.
I'll keep that in mind for next time.. and maybe put more effort into making an actual background. lol

I didn't want top spend more time on this than I allotted myself (~3 hours). I'd probably fix his crotch area and extend the right flap/panel so it didn't just disappear too if I gave myself more time.. >_> BUT OH WELL! Off to finish another prize.. which I probably won't be able to post since it will be too erotic in nature lol.

MrBig

untitled-1vqim1.jpg

photo study and a color study

going to try to get into a school soon so hopefully I'll be posting some more interesting project like work

Swig_

Does anyone have any resources for learning to draw cartoons in a "modern" style? Thinking like Penny Arcade, Gorillaz, Secret of Kells, Cheeks74, etc.. All the resources I can really find are older styles, like the Loomis cartoon book or Disney type stuff.

Swig_

You mean how to draw them in Photoshop? Or just to draw them period.

If it's the latter, I'll just tell you.

Practice.

The latter. I'm very good with realistic drawing, but I'd like to try my hand at cartooning/illustration and it'd be nice to see some kind of lessons or even process shots.

The latter. I'm very good with realistic drawing, but I'd like to try my hand at cartooning/illustration and it'd be nice to see some kind of lessons or even process shots.

Watch and keep drawing scenes of ren and stimpy. You will learn a lot about squash and stretch. really fun ways to exaggerate. There was a really old comic that spumco used as a bible for type of curves and playfulness cartoons should have but the name is blanking on me. John K drilled that into after the first season.

also check out john Ks blog, he talks about a lot of great old cartoonists and why they are great with pictures and stuff. http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/

highrider

Banned
Not sure if this belongs here but what do you guys think about this logo:
9FixW.png

For a school club >__>
I like it. Very clean. My first thought was thinning out the line on the middle square and maybe a subtle break or flourish in the line on one side. But what the hell do I know right? Lol.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
This is from the blog, since its kind of long:

Jake Parker is kind of a legend in our field. By all accounts hes incredibly nice, very talented and extremely hardworking. Any time you can find that combination in the artistic field you can consider yourself lucky.

For a while now I've been thinking that my mechanical work needs a lot of help. I think I'm OK with organics, and I have stepped up with my painting and backgrounds, but vehicles and hard surfaces I still dont feel confident in ... and the best way I know how to learn is to look at what the best in the field are doing, and copy it.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi is an amazing documentary about the best sushi chef in the world. Its a very inspirational story and in it, Jiro explains than in order to become an exceptional chef you must eat exceptional food. I believe that same idea translates to art. If you aspire to be the best, then learn from them.

My method is not to copy in the traditional sense of the word. I like to draw from the inside out and try to replicate the method of how the artist drew the design, figure out the basic shapes and expand from there. The result will probably not be identical, but that's not the point. The objective is to get me to think like he does and to expand my visual library, so that when I design robots on my own time I can incorporate what I remember from the freehand copy.

So anyways, these are the two concepts from Jake that I started with:

battlemech-940x626.jpg

rook-940x621.jpg

And here are my freehand copies

jparker_copy01.jpg

Then I tried my hand at some mech designs of my own and see what if I learned anything

xavi_mechs_01.jpg

I think its pretty clear that its nowhere close to his level, but there are some things I'm starting to retain. His shapes are better, consort in more interesting ways and his sense of balance, perspective and negative space are much more refined ... but I think that by the end of the week my improvement will be noticeable ... Well see where it leads!

Phandy

SNIP*MECHSNSTUFF*

Hey that's a pretty neat idea. Jakes a pretty cool guy to work from too. He's nicely inbetween realistic and stylised. I do mostly environments and hard surface stuff and I've picked up a few really helpful tips already that might help your little hard surface quest.

Reference is invaluable for doing hard surface stuff, its just way harder to make things seem real if you just 'winging' it. Until you have a big 'visual brain library' of your own anyway. Its pretty obvious that those 2 mechs of Jakes are pulling a lot of shapes and smaller design elements from tanks (as do most mechs these days).

My colleague told me once that what makes a concept feel realistic isn't always the components of a design, but how they are stuck together. Researching basic joint and limb mechanism etc. As always good perspective and delivering the design realistically is always gonna help too. He also always hammers home the point of consistency. Like detail consistency (rule of thirds works here) and shape consistency. Jake does it well in both of those, he re-uses the simple cylindrical shapes and the flat-clean-box shapes across both designs.

Good idea for a study though, I might try something similar with an artists work I like. I can ALWAYS appreciate people drawing mechs though :D

Some recent stuff from Lunch times again;

10_Riverpoo.jpg

11_Fightpoo.jpg

9_BadShipoo.jpg

Prax

Hahahaaa.. My latest "masterpiece", which is another prize art for someone:

The rest of the image is too risque to just post here, but you can click on it and head over to my DA account to see the full thing. The composition is probably not as nice as this cropped image though. >_>

And dang it guys, you all draw machines and backgrounds and structures so well. I'm going to have to try some of that soon and tackle my greatest weakness! *takes a deep breath*

Ran rp

Can anyone recommend me a good entry-level tablet? Is there any significant advantage to using the more expensive ones?

MrBig

PSY・S;45422897 said:
Can anyone recommend me a good entry-level tablet? Is there any significant advantage to using the more expensive ones?

The bigger you go the more accurate the strokes will be; with the smaller bamboos small movements get translated into huge strokes, every time I had to use one it was really jarring. I'd try to find a good used, medium size Intuos 3/4. Stick to paper until you've got the fundamentals down though

Ran rp

The bigger you go the more accurate the strokes will be; with the smaller bamboos small movements get translated into huge strokes, every time I had to use one it was really jarring. I'd try to find a good used, medium size Intuos 3/4. Stick to paper until you've got the fundamentals down though

Thanks! I have the fundamentals down I'd just like to start drawing directly into a program instead of cleaning up my scans.

Strange that Raging brings up the mech/industrial design stuff. I was talking to some art buddies about that the other day. I too will probably start doing some of that stuff soon.

finalflat27.png

jokkir

I haven't done an actual sketch in a while:

lCHQI.jpg

Tried doing actual shading + my own style this time so it's not just a 1:1 copy. Moo.

Really good posts Raging and Phandy. It's funny as well because my mechanical skill is garbage...I've been thinking about stepping up my game in that area among others.

vio

Phandy, i really like your work. Great stuff!
Here is something i made for practice. It is from Free drawing requests! thread.
jlegx7rRwGK5F.png

Dali

Always get inspired and depressed everytime I peak in here. Great stuff from the usual suspects, timo, dm-uselink, spaniard. Some new faces I don't think I've seen before. Duane C. I like your style and OMG burli I'm in love with what I'm seeing. So imaginative, distinct, and original! Its like a cross between paul frank and ukyo-e or something. I love it.

Ran rp

Good buy... but touch is useless. Cheaper alternatives available.

Is it really? If multitouch isn't going to be much of a benefit then I guess I can go cheaper!

http://frenden.com/the-little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could/

Look into that tablet, dudes pretty good and he loves them.

Sweet wallet 8bits.

Ohh, this looks promising. I'll probably go for this instead. Edit: Bought! Got it for $44 and two-day shipping with a $25 gift card I had. Thanks guys!

Top Bottom