• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Creative Assembly might make another Alien game, maybe

Aurongel

I played Isolation on a whim and had a fucking amazing time with it. Even the people who criticize it agree that it hit most of the order notes and had a pretty obvious route for improvement. They got soooooo so much right with the first game that it always seemed criminal that it wasn't a huge success.

Heroman

Banned
From what I know, the sequel is titled Alien Isolation: Resurgence. It will officially be announced at E3 along with a teaser trailer. The game is a direct sequel featuring Amanda.

A VR edition of the first game will also be announced.
And you are ?

DeaDPo0L84

THANK GOD! I was so disappointed after seeing how successful Isolation was that they were working on Halo Wars 2 (which most have already forgotten). Please be true.

Please do. Alien Isolation was amazing, and as there are new films coming out again now it makes sense to ride that wave. Still the best sound design in any game ever.

I'm assuming Halo Wars 2 didn't sell well enough to justify a third game so the team moving on to something else makes sense.

I generally don't care about reviews. But the Ryan McCaffrey IGN review of this game I can't help but feel hurt the game a lot and clearly Ryan just didn't get the game.

OldMuffin

Still waiting for a "good" colonial marines game... Come on sega do it right this time and don't trust those thieves at gearbox. Alternatively, AvP by rebellion, we are overdue for another one.

Bumhead

Banned
Alien Isolation is one of my favourite games of all time.

In terms of crafting an experience around a source material, I think it might be one of the industry's stand out examples, and is perhaps only some pacing issues away from being perfect in that regard.

That said, not entirely sure what I want from a sequel. I feel like Isolation ticked every box I wanted it to, and I feel like just doing an Aliens game perhaps leaves too much room for things to go wrong.

I mean.. I'll buy it. 100% day one. Just not sure what I want from it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I would give ANYTHING for this, AI is my GOTG and I really can't see anything beating it.

Still waiting for a "good" colonial marines game... Come on sega do it right this time and don't trust those thieves at gearbox. Alternatively, AvP by rebellion, we are overdue for another one.

The last one was pretty average, I would like another but they need to do better next time.

I generally don't care about reviews. But the Ryan McCaffrey IGN review of this game I can't help but feel hurt the game a lot and clearly Ryan just didn't get the game.

It certainly tainted the mainstream impression of the game, even people on GAF assumed it was a terrible game because of that review, IGN has more influence than we would like to admit. It was an absolutely terrible review though, I mean he complained about the difficulty after choosing to play it on hard.......

Akai__

The rumor says they're considering making another Alien game, presumably dependent on if Microsoft wants Halo Wars 3.

Dan Ayoub was specifically promoted to Studio Head for Strategy Games at 343i. Kinda implies to me that they want to continue this. Now, I'm not sure how well Halo Wars 2 actually did, if you break down development costs and sales, but if it did poorly that can obviously change.

Anyways, Halo Wars 2's support should end by the end of August. That's when their "6 months of support" Season Pass and DLC thing is ending.

I loved Alien: Isolation so I hope this rumor is true. If they can fix the minor problems that game had and improve everything else (VR support too) then I'll definitely pick it up.

Hopefully, this time they should focus on two things. One, cut the single player campaign in half the first one was bloated, second put that effort into a cooperative missions that plays like Resident Evil Outbreak. Open maps, puzzles that need to be solved, the ability to split up or stay together, freeform gameplay. It could be fantastic.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dan Ayoub was specifically promoted to Studio Head for Strategy Games at 343i. Kinda implies to me that they want to continue this. Now, I'm not sure how well Halo Wars 2 actually did, if you break down development costs and sales, but if it did poorly that can obviously change.

Anyways, Halo Wars 2's support should end by the end of August. That's when their "6 months of support" Season Pass and DLC thing is ending.
Had the game done well, it would be pretty unlikely they would shut off support after six months.

TedMilk

I'd be down if they made it similar to what Aliens was to Alien: Pure action with scary bits.

I don't see how a sequel can be justified if they stick to the same gameplay premise.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I'm with GAF. Incredible game. The fact that a PSVR version of A:I didn't happen is a total travesty. Even though I would totally shit myself......

I'd be down if they made it similar to what Aliens was to Alien: Pure action with scary bits.

I don't see how a sequel can be justified if they stick to the same gameplay premise.

I sort of feel the same, but would love if they kept the Alien(s) hard to bring down and utilizing similar behavior aspects (vents, flees flames but ignores after a while, drawn to gunfire). More RE7 in encounter philosophy than AvP2.

Throw in the acid complications (perhaps even in areas where you can't spill it or it compromises the environment), and there just may be enough to justify it.

Yeah it was an ok game. Though I don't know if I had the difficulty on too hard or not.

Because my entire stratagem towards the game turned into "get to the next save station". Which kinda took me out of it a little bit.

I'd still be more hyped for a new Dead Space that returned to the first games formula.

Cardon

Let's see how gung-ho Fox are about this when Alien: Covenant does middling business at the box office.

Yeah I'm not exactly expecting Covenant to be a hit, so Fox will probably want to ice the Alien franchise for a while, and as such, that may affect a potential project from Sega if one was actually in the planning stages.

At this point, I think the only Alien "game" we're going to get is the VR project/interactive short film that Ridley Scott's company is producing in connection to Covenant.

Griss

Both the best licensed game ever and the most faithful use of a licence ever. Humorously, it borrows game design features from Metroid, a series that borrowed so much of its fiction from Alien. Considering I love both Alien and Metroid in their respective genres, it's no surprise that it's easily one of my games of the generation.

A sequel would be superb news.

Please.

Shrink up that story. It was very long and unwieldy and ultimately not all that involving or effective. Thankfully the atmosphere, visuals, and gameplay more than made up for it.

Stop fucking with Ripleys. Done with Ripleys. Enough. You already found a new location. Find a new protagonist. One not related to Ellen Ripley, the single most important person in the whole universe.

Make the Aliens less rubberbandy and/or clingy, but ALSO make them more like the Aliens in the first 3 movies, and not like the ones in the fourth. The Aliens in Isolation were the clumsy, roaring, grunting ones from Resurrection, not the slick, silent, tricky ones from the first few movies.

I love love love Isolation, and I hope if they follow it up, they take the chance to improve on what they've got, and not abandon it for the 30,000th fuckin shooter these games have seen.

Akai__

Had the game done well, it would be pretty unlikely they would shut off support after six months.

That's not a reaction to the game doing poorly, though. It has been the DLC plan since Summer 2016, at least: http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/14/halo-wars-2-ultimate-edition-season-pass-halo-wars-definitive-edition-detailed/

Edit: Here is the quote, so people don't have to click and search:

The Halo Wars 2 Season Pass delivers regular content updates that span more than six months, including: new leaders with abilities that change the course of multiplayer battles, new units that add to your multiplayer arsenal, and a new campaign expansion featuring exclusive missions.

I still need to play the original!
Was planning to play it in the lead up to the release of Alien Covenant.

Now's as good a time as any, bud! Just make sure you play with headphones.

Edit - also, if those comments above are true, Alien Isolation: Resurgence is a horrible name!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
tumblr_o7ngsus1mG1rpduwho1_500.gif

Yes please!

Never has a gif felt so appropriate.

Internet winner here.

Top Bottom