• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

Hasney

No way is this happening. But I really hope it does :(

There's no fucking way this is happening on Switch. I sincerely hope it would as I'd use the hell out of it, but there's not a chance.

I question the eShop implementation once Nintendo works out what it does, but it looks like it works in browsers. If the Switch gets a browser or the Jacky ways of getting to one still work, it could still be doable.

Nzyme32

Are other PC streaming devices able to do 60fps (over wifi)?

Edit: looking at reddit they are also saying it will work on Starbucks wifi.

I'd love to see it happen, but I'm slightly skeptical.

Steam Link runs at 60fps in my house with 5ghz wifi, not sure about other devices.

Yeah same - but this is all entirely dependent on the network and WiFi implementation on the source device and router.

wrowa

If he's stating Switch as a target platform, doesn't that imply that he owns a dev kit? Considering that Nintendo still doesn't seem to give those to just anyone, I suppose they approved of his streaming idea before sending him one.

Link_enfant

This makes me unreasonably hyped even though my PC is... well... pure BS regarding gaming specs (Isaac Afterbirth slows down pretty badly for almost no reason, like when using a simple Brimstone laser).

I can't wait to have more info about this, though Nintendo allowing it would be really, really surprising.

Unai

If he's stating Switch as a target platform, doesn't that imply that he owns a dev kit? Considering that Nintendo still doesn't seem to give those to just anyone, I suppose they approved of his streaming idea before sending him one.

There's always the chance that he's bullshiting and only wants to release it on the eShop, without even knowing if Nintendo will allow it / provide a dev kit.

wrowa

There's always the chance that he's bullshiting and only wants to release it on the eShop, without even knowing if Nintendo will allow it / provide a dev kit.

Sure, but I don't really see what he would have to gain from not being open about that. The dev's relatively well-known in the scene and the software is supposed to be distributed for free anyway, so it's not as if they either need or profit from "free PR" very much.

It's certainly possible that this won't come to fruition, but I assume he'd use less definite words if they weren't even in talks with Nintendo yet.

Bit-Bit

For those saying it would kill 3rd party support. No it wouldn't.

Why would I stream Rocket League with possible lag if I can get it native for the Switch AND have the ability to take it with me and play it anywhere?

And that's just one example. Developers would obviously have to differentiate their Switch version with their PC version. Local mutliplayer for one would make it so I would ALWAYS choose the Switch version over the PC version.

I'm incredibly shocked that he seems very confident about this getting on the eShop. I'm still excited nonetheless. Buy a PC game, play it at my desk, play it on my TV via Xbox, or play it anywhere via wifi on Switch. What a time to be alive. I can totally see Nintendo rejecting this mainly due to emulators, but let's say emulators are ruled out, I think this would still be niche enough to where it wouldn't hurt Nintendo on multiplatform titles.

I'm curious about bandwidth though. I have 6Mbit upload. I can get a very good 720p 60fps stream at 4200kbps. Highest I can go without getting lag online, but that's stressing my CPU. It looks like this program will use GPU compression, which is WAY behind in terms of quality per kbit.

I just can't see Nintendo being okay with this, especially when they seem to be referencing competitors products in their own marketing.

It also seems like the kind of thing Nintendo could do themselves via nvidias existing apis and thus control in house and turn a profit directly without any fidgety third party work. That is if they were interested.

Trying to think of a game I would stream to my Switch... Rocket League and Trackmania would be the main ones if the latency is good enough.

I still don't believe this is gonna happen. Like KojiKnight said, this is something Nintendo could easily do themselves since it's a built in function of the TX1, so if they want to allow this (which is also fairly unlikely) they have no need for a third party app.

Switch sales increase by 150% after this! LOl

Seeing as how it's still basically sold out worldwide that could only happen with a big shipment increase.

TheJoRu

I call BS. Or if I'll make a guess their "update" is probably a generic "Hi, we've received your inquiry for your software to be released on the Nintendo eShop. We hope to take a closer look and get back to you shortly."-email that'll end up with a rejection because they haven't actually looked at it yet, and when they do they sure as hell won't allow it.

Good publicity to make people hopeful for it to happen even though it never will, though.

whyman

I dont think this is going to ever become reality but if it does it will change consoles forever and Nintendo will win this gen.

Zaph

I call BS. Or if I'll make a guess their "update" is probably a generic "Hi, we've received your inquiry for your software to be released on the Nintendo eShop. We hope to take a closer look and get back to you shortly."-email that'll end up with a rejection because they haven't actually looked at it yet, and when they do they sure as hell won't allow it.

It's 99% likely that.

I'm pulling for that 1%....

Drek

Good, Nintendo and Nvidia should have had this out of the box. The majority of games people will stream aren't going to make a 1:1 transition to the Switch anyhow, and the small number of indies/etc. that people would maybe do this with wouldn't be portable, so the native Switch version would have a huge feature advantage.

jonno394

Good publicity to make people hopeful for it to happen even though it never will, though.

Pretty much my thoughts too

prag16

Banned
Went into this thread thinking "oh, has this been shut down yet?"...only to see the exact opposite, lol.

Pretty nuts if this all happens.

Same. I was waiting until AT LEAST Mario Odyssey to buy a switch (or possibly even longer).

But if this is legit and works as advertised, that time frame could get fast tracked.

But I'm still team BS on this one. Nintendo's reaction probably something like:

tenor.gif

tebunker

Banned
I agree. I'll repeat what I said earlier in the thread: this dev is either incredibly optimistic or wildly misinformed.
Why not both?

To those people saying Nintendo would jusy do this themselves. Well no, thats not what they are set up to do and resources are always constrained.

So if Nintendo is totally cool with this, which seems not 100% likely, but just for discussion lets say they are, why not let someone else develop the application. It costs them nothing.

Now the real issuse comes from games that exist on both PC and Switch, not many, but there are indie crossovers. Does Nintendo want to allow someone to play something they would prefer they bought from Nintendo? Who knows atm. I would guess not.

In the grand scheme though, this could be pitched to Japanese execs as a win because if people wanted to use this app and the Switch it only exposes more people to Nintendo software, and if you own Nintendo hardware for this odds are you would probably try a Nintendo game or two.

Granted all of this is head in the clouds bs. As I am not even convinced this dev has/can get a dev kit, and even if so how good will the application be etc.

Wish them the best of luck and would love to be proven wrong, but even in the most optimistic of situations I can't see this actually working as intended.

Scoops

Banned
If this actually happens, it'll be game over. Switch will dominate the console cycle.

Imagine all those 3rd party PC games playable on Switch. No more "Switch has no gamez."

So, what does that mean? You can buy PC games and play them on the Switch?

As long as your Switch is connected to wi-fi you could stream PC games to the Switch from your PC.

Who gives a shit about the Switch, it looks like he wants this to work on everything

God bless America

But Switch is the best platform for playing these games portably.

cacildo

If i could play old DOS games on switch i would have no excuse to just pay any price they ask for a switch in brasil

(is that what this rainway does? Could i play old dos games on it?)

Aselith

If i could play old DOS games on switch i would have no excuse to just pay any price they ask for a switch in brasil

(is that what this rainway does? Could i play old dos games on it?)

Sure, if you can.play them on your PC. It's a front end to stream from your PC.

Only issue I see is setting up DOS games to accept controller inputs? I'd assume they are expecting keyboard inputs mostly.

ASaiyan

Banned
Regardless of whether or not Nintendo lets this live, a small team has already figured out streaming on Switch? So, could Twitch get their act together and push an app already? Or at least, you know, Netflix, which works on the freaking 3DS?

Top Bottom