• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Final Fantasy remake 7 greatly suffer from episodic release?

night814

It will because there is no way I'll get any part of it until it's all done, they want people to invest in the first part and many people will choose to wait until the entire game is released.

I'm sure people will bite the second the first part is available, it really depends on how the release schedule is planned.

CJY

Banned
If the PS5 rumour is true, we could be seeing episodes split across console generations... just think about that.

I don't see the problem at all. Uncharted (as just one example) is a series split over multiple generations as are most other series'.

I have faith that it will be good. But yeah it was weird for me when they announced the episodic thing and it's still weird to me now. Like others have said before it's like comparing them to the discs in the original game but we had all the parts at once.

I have faith that it will go good though. I just wish it didn't take so darn long.
I don't see the problem at all. Uncharted (as just one example) is a series split over multiple generations as are most other series'.
Except those are multiple stories and games. Final Fantasy VII is one game and story.

CJY

Banned
It will because there is no way I'll get any part of it until it's all done, they want people to invest in the first part and many people will choose to wait until the entire game is released.

I'm sure people will bite the second the first part is available, it really depends on how the release schedule is planned.

Ideally they would plan all the parts concurrently. Which shouldn't be hard considering they created the source material. It would be nice to see them hitting Holidays '18, '19, '20. That would be analogous to The lord of the rings film trilogy, but I find it hard to see a remake of a ps1-era game garnering that level of interest, even if it's one of the most beloved JRPGs of all time.

EctoPrime

The first game will sell really well but the sales of the other two will likely drop quite a lot.

Will be really annoying if Square drop some of the mini games though. Perhaps they could make mobile versions to pay for their development.

G Bike ( Has a mobile version )
Snowboarding ( Has a mobile version as above but both would need new visuals)
Submarine game
Chocobo racing ( Recycle content from 15)
Mog house
Fort Condor ( Square could make a tower defense mobile game)
Speed Square (They could dump the Prompto VR game and make a FF7 Until Dawn clone)

They really need to have a set schedule for when they all will come out by at least first one gets launched.

But that will never happen

Unless they add a bunch of new stuff to the game, then yea it'll definitely suffer. You can't take a full game and split it into thirds and then call them each a full game.

It's SE, so I can see them trying to charge $60 for each episode. It will sell under expectations, SE will panic and botch the remaining episodes.

night814

Ideally they would plan all the parts concurrently. Which shouldn't be hard considering they created the source material. It would be nice to see them hitting Holidays '18, '19, '20. That would be analogous to The lord of the rings film trilogy, but I find it hard to see a remake of a ps1-era game garnering that level of interest, even if it's one of the most beloved JRPGs of all time.
They should probably aim for quarters, make it the year of FF considering it's an anniversary year. I don't know if they want to cut the releases that close.

wtd2009

If that ign article about even the first episode still being at least 3 years out is true then it might be more than I thought. Unless they're trying to lay enough ground work to launch each episode every 12-18 months but who ami know doing, that's not happening.

Oresama

My biggest concern is how long between episodic releases? Too long a wait would kill the momentum for me, especially in a story focused​ game.

Do you guys think the episodes will release months apart or years apart?

My biggest concern is how long between episodic releases? Too long a wait would kill the momentum for me, especially in a story focused​ game.

These are AAA games, they will be years apart.

Months ?

8FxEa.gif

FiraB

Banned
It will be a trainwreck, monthly episodic hurt hitman even though it had unique missions between all the episodes. SE time schedule with episodic content is going to be bad.

OmegaDL50

What if all three games are on the same engine and share assets between each other.

Sure they are full length games in individual installments.

Much like how Mass Effect was a trilogy, or Tales in the Sky was also a trilogy.

If Square wants to maintain a level of consistency between each of the FF7:R games, would it not sense to just stick with a base foundation to work on and just build upon it for the next installment.

Final Fantasy X-2 as well as Final Fantasy XIII-2 borrow a lot of assets, even reusing locations wholesale from their previous games.

If the FF7 Remake trilogy are all on the same engine, sharing the same assets, then in this sense they should be able to release each installment in short succession from each other. As opposed to developing three entirely unique titles on their own unique engine entirely from the ground up.

FFXIII came out in 2009, FFXIII-2 was 2011, and the last game in 2013. Three full installments of a trilogy over a period of 5 years.

Let's also drop the narrative because FFXV was in pre-production and not active development for a long time and did not come out for nearly 10 years after it's initial announcement implies that every future FF game will also be delayed eternally. It's different teams handling different tasks. Isn't the team behind the FF7 Remake also mainly responsible for the FFXIII trilogy.

Just something to keep in mind.

JayEH

If that ign article about even the first episode still being at least 3 years out is true then it might be more than I thought. Unless they're trying to lay enough ground work to launch each episode every 12-18 months but who ami know doing, that's not happening.

it's not at least 3 years out. the slide said that KH3, FF7, and the recently announced marvel game will be out within the next 3 years.

OmegaDL50

It will be a trainwreck, monthly episodic hurt hitman even though it had unique missions between all the episodes. SE time schedule with episodic content is going to be bad.

Except in the case for FFVII:R "Episodic" in this case isn't in the case you describe for Hitman (which was developed by a entirely different Western studio by the way) does not apply.

SE used Episodic in the sense of multiple full length games, like the FFXIII trilogy, or Mass Effect trilogy, or Trails in the Sky trilogy, and so on.

We aren't talking about Telltale / Hitman stuff here, but rather several individual full length games labeled as part 1, part 2, and so forth.

It irks me when people compare FF7R to stuff like the Mass Effect trilogy. It's not the same thing, whether they add content or not FF7R will be a remake of an old game chopped in three parts or more. People know or can easily know the story, something that did not happen (as far as I know) with games like Mass Effect, etc.

You want to compare this to something? Compare it to The Hobbit movie trilogy, not Lord of the Rings.

Oresama

Lol RIP the dream.

I mean if these things release 3 years apart, and assuming they will have 3+ episodes, we're talking 9+ years for one game lol.

Each episode better have near Witcher 3 amounts of content, or a G.A.S. model to keep me engaged between episodes.

wtd2009

it's not at least 3 years out. the slide said that KH3, FF7, and the recently announced marvel game will be out within the next 3 years.
Ah ok. I thought it said "three years or so", and my faith in SE is not high, so i interpreted "or so" to mean maybe longer. I hope you're right, though.

Lol RIP the dream.

I mean if these things release 3 years apart, and assuming they will have 3+ episodes, we're talking 9+ years for one game lol.

Each episode better have near Witcher 3 amounts of content, or a G.A.S. model to keep me engaged between episodes.
Things take time. People get heated because SE announces shit early and assume that the game is in dev for a years (which isn't the case if you know how SE operates)
This excuse don't make any sense. Only reason it had 3 disk is for storage reasons.

You can't even compare software output from SE compared to the snes/ps1 days, let
alone development. Storage perhaps was the excuse back then nowadays is a variety of other reasons.

But rebellions are built on hope!

I waited 10 years for a game so I know about how hope turns into true despair pupupu.

Reallink

What's going to hurt it is releasing surrounding a HW generation transition. Being a remake it's selling point is the visual spectacle, but with the way things are apparently going PS5 will be on the horizon (if not already available) by the time they get "Disc 1" out the door--never mind the rest of it. Obviously there's no luster in releasing a PS4 era title in a post PS5 world. So many late-gen titles of exceptional quality have bombed because there's no excitement for last-gen shit.

Foxxsoxx

I would just release it all at once, but of course Square can't do anything fucking normal so this will inevitably turn into a nightmare to develop for if it hasn't already.

HeeHo

I'll play it anyway I can, but I wish Square would try to be more ambitious with this title. Try to reinvent itself kind of like Breath of the Wild did. If they really can make each episode seem like a full game I'll be impressed but I think the whole point of people being excited about a FF7 remake is that they wanted to play the whole damn thing again.

What difference does it make? I said that this game wouldn't come out until there was a PS5 and an XboxWhateverTheFuck, and I can't see that changing. Gives them plenty of time to think about how to handle this. It obviously turned off LONG TIME HITMAN fans. It's something for SQUARE to keep in mind when releasing this game. Also KH3, same thing. That game at best will come out as one of the last PS4 and Xbox games, or in the first couple of years of the next generation.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
They're working with CyberConnect which worked on the .hack series -- that was also one series broken up into parts. In that, everything carried over and you could still go back to the same locations from the previous games.
As much as I love .hack, the one new thing they added each game was a town. A town smaller than any in FF7 considering there were never any buildings to go into an the rest of the game was re-used randomly generated dungeons. FF7 doesn't do dungeons so I really find it hard ta make this comparison work.

I've said it from the beginning that going episodic is a bad idea considering who's running the show (and Nomura now having the reputation for taking forever to finish projects because he's too much of a perfectionist). Especially when it's been 2 years and still no news about when the first episode is about to come out. If that's what people should expect for 7-II and 7-III , then they should have just developed the entire game in one sitting in the first place. No one's going to wait that long, plus it's an easy way to lose sales momentum (which was one of the points of going episodic, alongside development costs, etc).

MoonFrog

I, mean, yes. Funding, audience, staff, creative direction could all fall through somewhere along the line. That comes with the territory.

MilkBeard

There is a lot of potential that they could screw it up, or that diminishing sales could reduce the quality of the final parts.

What if sales drop off heavily for part 2? Does that mean they will cheap out on part 3 to save money? Also, one thing to point out is that the quality of design decreased in some ways from FF XIII to part two, and then again to Lightning Returns. I hope this doesn't happen with FFVII R.

But when I was done with Disc 1 I wasn't forced to wait (potentially) years before I was allowed to pop in Disc 2. So not quite an apt comparison.

Hopefully they don't release anything until they're confident they can release the following episodes in a timely manner. I'd be fine with a year in between entries like some of the big multi-part movie series.
Not just that but this is gonna be a full price 60 dollar game that you'll have to spend 3 times to get the full experience. The true final fantasy 7 remake is gonna cost 180 bucks to get the full experience. This of course is not including sales later on, but I know there's gonna be a lot of people who want to be there Day 1.

Darksol

XII, XIV and WoFF give me hope that SE can still make great FF. XIII (1-3) and XV have me questioning that.

At this point I feel like it's a crap shoot.

DSix

Banned
I don't think it could, I think it will suffer.
It will hurt the game a lot, cheapen its legacy by being full of badly put together fillers to extend the playtime of each release, and the long wait times between each episode will destroy the original pacing of the story.

I have nothing against games conceived to work with the episodic format - I think it can work very well if the very premise of the game is fit for it - but FF7 is not one of those.

Yeah echoing the issue of how long between releases. I get content takes time but I just keep seeing it coming up against-

Episode like Telltale- every couple of months or even every 6 months. Well why not just delay and have it come out later? Like it's not like it's aiming for this holiday at this point. Also I hardly see that a game this big just needs an extra 6 months. Like it's either done or it needs a while. If you get what I mean. Like they aren't going to develop right up until the Golden Saucer then be like "OK we have 6 weeks to create and program golden saucer, bug test it then ship ok go team". This type of game is going to be big and complicated.

Every year- Like the lord of the rings example above. This I could see working if it was stuck to, and I guess there are various points where you can leave off in 3 parts (Is that still the plan?) but my worry and many others would be like Half Life episodes. How long till the next one? If the games were good and had solid launch dates that Square Enix stuck to I could see it, but If they didn't- who would buy the third if they didn't play the others, and who would stick by them?

I just don't think it's the type of game that would be better due to this model, develop better due to this model, or even make necessarily more money due to this model. I just don't get it.

Jotakori

As much as I love .hack, the one new thing they added each game was a town. A town smaller than any in FF7 considering there were never any buildings to go into an the rest of the game was re-used randomly generated dungeons. FF7 doesn't do dungeons so I really find it hard ta make this comparison work.

Maybe you're right, I suppose the scales would be entirely different. But that was also like 15 years ago and games can be a lot bigger as far as setting scale and detail goes, too, right?
I mean just thinking of XV and like what I've seen my roomie playing of BotW -- those are pretty huge locations. But I'll admit I'm not really savvy on what would or wouldn't fit on one game disc and I know the entire world of FF7 would probably be a LOT bigger if to scale.
But I still think it's within reason to look at .hack as an idea for how data could be transferable and having at least some places accessible again in later game parts. Maybe not everything, but certain on some things?

Top Bottom