• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Final Fantasy remake 7 greatly suffer from episodic release?

I love games without satisfying endings and lengthy wait times between entries! It worked out so well for Deus Ex Mankind Divided last year, right?

MilkBeard

Judging from Square Enix's comments about the remake project being akin to the XIII trilogy as separate full-priced games, I'm mentally preparing myself for something like the way the Xenosaga series turned out: a total lack of cohesion in gameplay systems and visual fidelity across entries, with cuts in budget, scope and content from the first entry to the last to the point where you end up with a less expansive and inferior "reimagined" experience compared to the original game. Anyone expecting to fly the Highwind across the planet in HD hasn't been paying attention to the company's output the past decade. At this point, all I want from Square Enix is for them to release the PC ports of VIII and IX on PS4 after XII: The Zodiac Age comes out, but I'll probably pick up Final Fantasy VII: The Complete Remastered Collection once it releases on the PlayStation 6 in November 2027, just in time for the 30th anniversary.

I understand what you are saying. But at the same time, your example isn't very good. In FF XV, you can fly the Regalia over the open world map by endgame.

I understand what you mean, though, which is that there will be reductions to the scope. However, if the episodic nature works like intended, there really won't be, because they can take smaller chunks of the game and expand on it. And you have to keep in mind, this is Final Fantasy, a series that is known to sell millions, and not Xenosaga, a somewhat risky venture for a game of unknown popularity (at the time).

It's hard to say what will happen until we get concrete evidence from the first game, which will no doubt surface closer to the actual release.

It's kind of crazy how badly a thread title can misinform the public. Square Enix never said it was episodic, but a journalist or someone on Neogaf called it episodic in a thread title, and that word got burned into their memory and now 2 years later its still accepted to be true.

gun_haver

My hype level went from "zomg" to "meh". Not even believing that the first episode will come out before 2020. How long are they thinking they can keep up the interest? 30 Years?

Nomura hurts the remake more then anything or anybody else.

this is the kind of reaction they should probably be trying to avoid

I just hope they do a complete version sometime afterwards. A version where it's all one game and the character progression spans throughout the whole thing. I dont know if thats what they're trying to do anyway but idk. (In regards to the character progression)

I just hope they do a complete version sometime afterwards. A version where it's all one game and the character progression spans throughout the whole thing. I dont know if thats what they're trying to do anyway but idk. (In regards to the character progression)

It would be still a collection rather than one game due to how each game will have a specific introduction sequence, a full-blown ending sequence, probably even an ending song, etc.

Like the FFX|X-2 HD Remaster IMO.

Pantz

The idea has grown on me since first hearing about it. If they can put in more detail during each release it could be a good thing.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'm starting to think they should just wait and release the full game when it's done all at once as a launch title on PS5.

gelf

How they handle the transition from one game to the next could certainly hurt the remake. Will they allow stats to be carried forward? Is it a clean slate with each release so anything you spent time leveling up is gone? How do they handle letting you go back to previous areas in old episodes. Will they let you or will they cut down the freedom of travel post airship.

gun_haver

How they handle the transition from one game to the next could certainly hurt the remake. Will they allow stats to be carried forward? Is it a clean slate with each release so anything you spent time leveling up is gone? How do they handle letting you go back to previous areas in old episodes. Will they let you or will they cut down the freedom of travel post airship.

yeah it'll fuck it up no matter what. cos either no stat carry over, in which case, bullshit, or stats do carry over and then they've gotta balance the game for theoretical newcomers as well which will make battles bogus and lose the sense of progression as new skill types and materia types come into play, etc.

so they should just do it as one game or not do it.

Spaghetti

My thought as well. Even if PS5 comes out as late as 2020 we might still only see episode 1 on PS4/Pro. :/
(Off Topic: It wouldn't surprise me if Shenmue 3 will slip to PS5 as well. Stop announcing games or their platforms too early devs!!)
Shenmue III had to be announced to get funded. No way around it, so I'm not sure it's applicable when it comes to "announcing too early".

Ithil

I'm expecting some ridiculous release schedule like a new episode after say, 18 months, that completely destroys any sense of momentum for the title.

jobrro

Well, I'd have said Sonic 4

Eh Valve were saying making HL2 into episodes would allow them to release the games at a consistent and often schedule. They ended episode 2 on a cliffhanger then nothing.

Sonic 4 was OK but was Sonic 4 in name only. It didn't really feel right, but I don't think the physics were caused by being episodic. I don't think too many people were upset about not having a third episode of Sonic 4, whereas people are still talking about HL2:E3/HL3.

Hopefully FFVII remake doesn't suffer from either of these paths.

Edit: Well the HL2 path is somewhat impossible I guess unless people are unwilling to play the original.

With SE, couldn't it very well go one of two ways?

1- The 'FF14 Realm Reborn fixed to perfection' model after initial blunders

2 - FF13 Trilogy of diminishing returns in sales, asset quality, importance, oh who gives a shit.

So there's hope they can learn if they underperform, or radically suck for a decade plus of studio efforts. Sounds par for modern SE.

It's no worse than the release schedule of the Star Wars sequel trilogy...
Just completely different standards to even begin to compare tho...

Judging from Square Enix's comments about the remake project being akin to the XIII trilogy as separate full-priced games, I'm mentally preparing myself for something like the way the Xenosaga series turned out: a total lack of cohesion in gameplay systems and visual fidelity across entries, with cuts in budget, scope and content from the first entry to the last to the point where you end up with a less expansive and inferior "reimagined" experience compared to the original game. Anyone expecting to fly the Highwind across the planet in HD hasn't been paying attention to the company's output the past decade. At this point, all I want from Square Enix is for them to release the PC ports of VIII and IX on PS4 after XII: The Zodiac Age comes out, but I'll probably pick up Final Fantasy VII: The Complete Remastered Collection once it releases on the PlayStation 6 in November 2027, just in time for the 30th anniversary.
You are wise, though the only thing I ask for is a Tactics release on PC better than current options.

Daffy Duck

All this talk of three separate games (I admit I didn't know this as i just thought it was the game split up due to the amount of time it took) shows me just how incompetent the people handling this are, I mean the premise is simple take FF7 and make it pretty, it's that simple.

No need to do weird things with it, no need to inexplicably make it three games for no reason other than being stupid, just make it beautiful to look at and play and bingo.

I bet 98% of people in the wider gaming community will have seen FF7 REmake news and thought amazing can't wait to walk down memory lane, what they will
Actually get (because they seemingly incapable of communicating in some sort of modern language) is nothing what they expect.

Either that or it won't sell because nobody actually cares abou it.

Either way I'm really gutted about what I've discovered in this thread about this "project".

All this talk of three separate games (I admit I didn't know this as i just thought it was the game split up due to the amount of time it took) shows me just how incompetent the people handling this are, I mean the premise is simple take FF7 and make it pretty, it's that simple.

No need to do weird things with it, no need to inexplicably make it three games for no reason other than being stupid, just make it beautiful to look at and play and bingo.

I bet 98% of people in the wider gaming community will have seen FF7 REmake news and thought amazing can't wait to walk down memory lane, what they will
Actually get (because they seemingly incapable of communicating in some sort of modern language) is nothing what they expect.

Either that or it won't sell because nobody actually cares abou it.

Either way I'm really gutted about what I've discovered in this thread about this "project".

They explained why they're doing it but gaf likes to act hysterical so they neglect to mention things like that.

If you're curious, they cant remake FF7 with PS4 graphics and release it for $60. There's too many unique locations and assets to create, the amount of work it would require would be insane. So they had two options

1.Cut significant amounts of content

2.Make multiple games out of it.

They went with route 2, you can be critical however, of them changing the combat and adding additional content to the games. (I think its pretty obvious we're getting a greatly expanded midgar, it doesnt make sense to built a huge city like that and be out of there in 5 hours like you are in the original game). That's just an example.

I'm personally very happy with what they're doing. This project is basically Nomura's original vision for Versus XIII but with Final Fantasy 7's story and characters.

BadHand

Hopefully, it's technically the base game (episode 1) with Subsequent episodes delivered as DLC expansions that require the base game. This will at least allow for a levelling system to carry from episode to episode and allow you to return to prior locations. This won't be an issue in my opinion, and the only frustration will be the wait between releases.

If the episodes are stand alone games (and I can play episode 1 on PS4 then episode 2 on Xbox, for example) then there will be no carrying over if stats/weapons/abilities/exp/Gil etc and that will be a damn shame.

Daffy Duck

I totally missed the plans they had for this game, I hadn't seen any other real news other than it was coming so had no idea about this.

I also never got into another FF game after 7 so have no idea what 13 is or the type of game it was.

If it's too much they shouldn't have said it was coming then to be honest, that's the stage I am at.

jviggy43

They explained why they're doing it but gaf likes to act hysterical so they neglect to mention things like that.

If you're curious, they cant remake FF7 with PS4 graphics and release it for $60. There's too many unique locations and assets to create, the amount of work it would require would be insane. So they had two options

1.Cut significant amounts of content

2.Make multiple games out of it.

They went with route 2, you can be critical however, of them changing the combat and adding additional content to the games. (I think its pretty obvious we're getting a greatly expanded midgar, it doesnt make sense to built a huge city like that and be out of there in 5 hours like you are in the original game). That's just an example.

I'm personally very happy with what they're doing. This project is basically Nomura's original vision for Versus XIII but with Final Fantasy 7's story and characters.
Option 3. charge more for the full game.

Option 3. charge more for the full game.

People aren't going to pay 150 dollars or whatever they would need to justify the costs, and they dont want to go 10 years without a return on investment. So from a business point of view thats a terrible idea.

From an artistic point of view they dont want to spend another 5-10 years of their lives remaking the exact same game with better graphics. Kitase believes that Nomura and his team can make the game better, and when Square Enix's executives listened to Kitase's pitch, they obviously believed him or they would have said no.

I just don't understand how the story of FF7 could even be told in episodic form.

I can't think of any point that would be a satisfying end for the 1st episode. Maybe the battle with Jenova Life? That's the only point I could think of where it would make sense for it to end. I can't think of a time before that where it'd be feasible to end the episode.

Then have your characters that are created through your design (levels, weapons, materia, etc), though I suppose that could carry over to the next game as long as you have the save file.

The whole thing just seems problematic the more I think about it.

TheMan

My heart sank so fast when I first heard of plans for an episodic release. These guys are so excruciatingly inefficient that it will probably take over a decade for this thing to be completed. Utter ridiculousness but I expect no less from square.

I just don't understand how the story of FF7 could even be told in episodic form.

I can't think of any point that would be a satisfying end for the 1st episode. Maybe the battle with Jenova Life? That's the only point I could think of where it would make sense for it to end. I can't think of a time before that where it'd be feasible to end the episode.

Then have your characters that are created through your design (levels, weapons, materia, etc), though I suppose that could carry over to the next game as long as you have the save file.

The whole thing just seems problematic the more I think about it.

When they get out of Midgar for the first time. Just make Rufus the final boss at the end of the bike/car/helicopter chase.

I'm definitely concerned about the episodic nature. But I think it would be possible to handle well also.

Either way I'm 100% in no matter what they do *shrug*.

There was no way SE was going to build a game of FF7's scale/# of unique assets with modern AAA production standards for a single, non-subscription release. Dividing the original game's content into multiple episodes may not result in a product that feels much like the original, and it may introduce all kinds of new complications, but I suspect people would be pretty horrified by what a single-release FF7R would have looked like in 2018-19.

Peltz

Biggest issue I'm seeing is if there's a generational jump during the releases and the issues of keeping data between them. Personally, if it doesn't turn out to be a complete mess, I'm waiting for the full release when I'm riddled with arthritis and having a robot butler do the heavy lifting. Until then, I'm just fascinated by what Square have undertaken.

A once full game now divided up is considered a trilogy not an episodic game? What am I reading? Do the people citing the discs remembers how much content was on each disc comparative to one another? I know Square has released some games without proper endings recently, but it's a lot harder to swallow when everyone knows what the ending is and the beats along the way. Each episode might be 60 hours long, but that doesn't hide that there is an ending; more likely make the extra stuff feel like unnecessary padding.

I'll point out that I don't have a problem with releasing it in parts as I get taking something the size and scope of VII into 202X as a single title would be a money pit, but let's not try and make it anything more than that.
I think the data issues is the least of our worries with cloud saves and all being a thing now. Importing save data should be simple even across generations.

I expect part 1 to be good.Other parts to be uneven or stuck in dev hell.

There`s no way part 3 will continue to be made by the same team(if we actually get to that)
Okay this scares me. If the same team isn't handling the other parts then it has the potential to go extremely off hill.

Yogg

That gives me bad XIII vibes.

I hate cliffhangers that span a year+. I hate TV shows that do that, and I hate when games do it, and games take much more planning and preparation and financial stability.

See the ending of Xenoblades X ? It pissed me off to no end, because the game didn't get enough success and we'll never know what's next.

And writers, technology, financial stability, directors, or just many decision-makers, will change between each episode. That will unavoibadly affect the continuity of the story.

It's a like a TV show that has a great first series, then signs for 3+ more seasons with no idea where it's going.

I'd rather wait 5 or 10 more years and get the full thing.

Fredrik

Shenmue III had to be announced to get funded. No way around it, so I'm not sure it's applicable when it comes to "announcing too early".
You're right that was a bad example. It just annoys me that we get to hear about games so early on now, FF7R, Shenmue 3, GTSports, GoW, etc. 4 years after the launch and 1 year after the first hardware upgrade we're soon getting GTSports, Shenmue 3 might not even arrive this generation for all we know, FF7R is split up into episodes and might not all end up on PS4, GoW arrives soon unless there is a delay. I get that the hype for upcoming games is what sells the console early on but I think it has gotten out of hand tbh. Within a year of the release is enough, unveil at E3 and release it at the latest at the start of next year. Why do I need to know about games before that?

Raitaro

The incremental release and the possible delays etc. aside, I'm mostly concerned about whether we will be able to travel the entire game world as a continuous whole when the last episode has rolled by.

I have no idea how they will make that work in a model where people could conceivably only buy the last episode for some reason and try to travel to Midgar for example (apart from a pop-up when approaching the city citing they need to buy episode 1?). Ideally we'd get a full game when all episodes are bought or something.

Eylos

Banned
I think It depends on the conclusion, If a game has a beginning, Middle and end then its a trilogy, duology etc, each game is a complete experience. If the game ends in the Middle of a story or part of It its episodic.

If ff7 Will be a trilogy depends of the direction they Will have to change some things in the story.

Fredrik

I fucking hate this term "EPISODIC".... it's so Telltale Games.

Is Mass Effect episodic?
I'd say that Mass Effect trilogy is three different games cleverly connected through some NPC related story choices.

FF7R is one game, one classic story, chopped up in smaller "episodes" because of the storage and dev time needed to remake it properly 20 years after the original release. I honestly don't get how they're supposed to do it unless they change the main story and put restrictions on the map. Will you be able to go wherever you want whenever you want without bumping into some "you need episode 3 to get access to this area" notifications? And will the price for each "episode" be a full $60 release or smaller $20 releases?

Top Bottom