• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's currently the Leader of the Free World?

It kinda does...

...for rich white men.

giphy.gif

But China is the largest economy in the world.
e3a08d3c4f08a34be3b998f800f86cbb.png

PPP is the more accurate measurement of a countries GDP in comparison to another country.
Anyways, no one is the leader of the "free world" whatever the heck that is.

I have never heard of anyone using PPP over GDP, but feel free to use what ever suits your argument. May as well be using the Big Mac index (Or KFC for Africa)

Stasis

its trump wether we like it or not

Nah. That's done. USA can still be the largest economic powerhouse (for now) but that title doesn't belong to Trump and never will. And will likely take a while to regain once he's gone. The high GDP states don't even back him. Top companies don't. A nation this divided with his "side" being smaller and weaker overall (yes I realize Republicans have house and Senate, I mean population, companies, states with power and money) means he's not even a real leader of his own country. Let alone the world.

Massive joke is what he is. One who is and will unfortunately cause a ton of long term issues for the most powerful nation on the world. And may actually cause their downfall completely.

#MAGA

frontovik

Banned
No such thing as a free world. If we're talking about who currently has significant influence over global politics .. it's still the US for now.

Macron is relatively new but is already making a big splash. He seems like a strong leader. His speech about US withdrawing from the Paris Climate deal was given more attention than anything Merkel has said, to most Americans anyway.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
How can some of you say Trump?

Immediately when he took office, you lost that "title".

Currently, it's Merkel. Agreed by many countries.

spons

Gold Member
Merkel. Unlike Trump she's respected by the international community. She still has to be lectured on gay marriage though. Fuck Germany sideways for not allowing that.

There is no leader of the free world right now. Nobody sticks out enough to have that title, and Trump has wasted his opportunity to get it by default. Leadership is spread among several countries right now, and that is probably for the best in the long run.

I have never heard of anyone using PPP over GDP, but feel free to use what ever suits your argument. May as well be using the Big Mac index (Or KFC for Africa)

Unless everyone in the world shops in dollars (or one currency) , nominal is quite a bit less useful as a measuring tool between countries. PPP is harder to measure absolutely but it is ultimately more accurate, am using it because that's the most accurate measurement of a countries GDP in comparison to another country.

ikr? I was just as surprised when I did research on it, that the Big Mac Index was the KFC index for Africa. Even though, I'm pretty sure Africa has several McDonalds locations so the KFC index is unnecessary. Weird.

You'll be surprised to know that McDonald's is simply not that popular in Africa neither is it widespread, with that said I don't support the KFC index, it is indeed sneakily racist.

CloudWolf

It's still Trump, because "Leader of the Free World" is a term Americans made up to give themselves a feeling of superiority. No other country leader would be so vain to name him/herself the "Leader of the Free World".

Nerokis

"Leader of the Free World" isn't a permanent title that must be given to someone. If the president of the United States currently isn't worthy of it, chances are no one is.

You'll be surprised to know that McDonald's is simply not that popular in Africa neither is it widespread, with that said I don't support the KFC index, it is indeed sneakily racist.

How is it racist that the stereotype originates from the USA and it isn't that known (like at all) in other places, the index was invented by a Pan-African market research firm and KFC has plain the highest presence in Africa?

moggio

Banned
The USA is one of the most destabilising, unreliable, pernicious countries in the world right now.

If it was in the Middle East, Donald Trump would bomb it.

JpmD0m2.jpg

Leader implies if some shit is going down you can step in and take care of it by gun or by forcing people to do what you want. I don't think Canada or Germany have anywhere near that level of power, clout, or influence. China maaaay be able to. USA of course, but I don't think Trump gives a shit about anything happening anywhere else, only his poll numbers.

If Israel invaded Lebanon next week, only a few countries could have any impact on it.
If India or Pakistan fired a nuclear weapon at each other, neither country would care what Canada or Germany has to tell them.

This is a strong argument. People saying Merkel or whoever aren't really giving a reason. You could however say that if you're "leading the free world" you're in a leadership position in a country that serves as an example of respecting modern human rights and social democracy. Trump represents a shift away from social democracy and human rights. Its true that Canada alone doesn't have the kind of militaristic power to contribute, but it is still able to work with NATO to enforce human rights and democracy. Countries like Canada and Germany are examples of peaceful countries(obviously they're not perfect, but in Canada we aren't having to deal with Gerrymandering, mass shootings, mass government censorship/surveillance, sectarian violence, etc.)

How is it racist that the stereotype originates from the USA and it isn't that known (like at all) in other places, the index was invented by a Pan-African market research firm and KFC has plain the highest presence in Africa?

The United States exerted a great influence in many parts of the world for decades, that meant that stereotypes (much like a lot of other things) that originated in the states spread throughout the world. Yes, the stereotype that black people love chicken is widespread, something that will become evident when you visit other countries.

The United States exerted a great influence in many parts of the world for decades, that meant that stereotypes (much like a lot of other things) that originated in the states spread throughout the world. Yes, the stereotype that black people love chicken is widespread, something you will become evident when you visit other countries.

So you with your American exceptionalism want to tell me that the Pan-African market firm which invented the KFC index is racist and the people in Africa which made the plain fact possible that KFC is the fast food company with the biggest presence in Africa don't know it better?

Give me and especially yourself a break.

Wvrs

It's still the office of the president of the united states. Trump is only occupying it temporarily and I can't see him getting a second term. The job of the next president will be convincing the free world that America can still lead it.

It's still the office of the president of the united states. Trump is only occupying it temporarily and I can't see him getting a second term. The job of the next president will be convincing the free world that America can still lead it.

It is not just Trump. Obama attempts of forming the future of global trade with TPP and TTIP or have seen the USA isolated with tyring to kill China's sponsored development bank.
The American vision of the future is more and more not in line with the rest of the world. The USA wasn't the frontrunner for the Paris Agreement either, their biggest archivement in the PA was afterall that there aren't any explicit stated mechanism to compensate for damage done by the result of climate change. Great job I guess.

Its Trump. America still has the best Freedom of Speech laws in the world AFAIK and has enough power that other countries care what you think.

Azoor

There is no such thing as "free world", it's time to retire this cold war propaganda bullshit. The world is no longer divided into east and west anymore.

So you with your American exceptionalism want to tell me that the Pan-African market firm which invented the KFC index is racist and the people in Africa which made the plain fact possible that KFC is the fast food company with the biggest presence in Africa don't know it better?

Give me and especially yourself a break.

Lol, I think you mean Nigerian exceptionalism. Anyways, let's not fight.

There is no such thing as "free world", it's time to retire this cold war propaganda bullshit. The world is no longer divided into east and west anymore.

eh it kind of is still is and it isn't. Communism isn't as popular anymore, but it has been replaced with a democracy spectrum, with countries being more or less democratic. Some countries bill themselves as democratic but have presidents with unlimited mandates and are referred to as "his excellency". Countries that are on the other negative end of the democracy spectrum can benefit from positive examples of countries where democratic institutions can actually lead to benefits for EVERYONE instead of a select few.

If you're, male, white, and christian.. sure.

The americans I often see complaining about their free speech rights being infringed upon are straight white male christians(not saying I agree that their concerns are justified, it's just ironic)

Top Bottom