• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's currently the Leader of the Free World?

Haunted

Since the US have stepped away from that (unofficial) position under Trump, there isn't one.

It's a transitionary period for now.

I assume a duo of Merkel/Macron will establish themselves as the go to leaders when prime ministers/presidents/chancellors of other free democracies look for answers, but this will take time.

Haunted

Denial in full force for quite a few US GAFers still.

It's been a rough couple months with more bad years for US pride/self-esteem ahead. I feel sorry for those who voted Clinton, but as a whole, the US just... fucked up. Gotta take that L.

Domaje

You just sound bitter. No one said anything about right or wrong. As far as patting itself on the back, Americans have a lot to be proud of historically. We've come a long way from an English colony on the ass end of the world.

Relations with Trump are bad. Trump is not America. You want to run around proclaiming that the sky is falling because you don't like Trump then go for pit. America will still be here.
Hiistorically Usa have a lot to be proud of and a lot to be ashamed of.

Still the right answer.

Like, LOOK. I fucking hate Trump. I think for all his hilarious talk of wanting to "drain the swamp," he is very definition of the SWAMP, and a obvious con man. But *sighs* by default, because Trump currently holds the office of POTUS, he's the leader of the free world by holding said position.

Now, please Gaf, don't make me say that again.

I fucking hate my country.

Still the right answer.

Like, LOOK. I fucking hate Trump. I think for all his hilarious talk of wanting to "drain the swamp," he is very definition of the SWAMP, and a obvious con man. But *sighs* by default, because Trump currently holds the office of POTUS, he's the leader of the free world by holding said position.

Now, please Gaf, don't make me say that again.

I fucking hate my country.

What does leader of the free world even means for you?

What does leader of the free world even means for you?
IDK. Why are you asking these sort of questions while I'm buzzed?

Personally, if I am TBH, it's whoever is the president of the USA, and ATM, it's *sighs* Trump.

Been half a year, and my brain is still having a great amount of difficulty accepting that concept.

IDK. Why are you asking these sort of questions while I'm buzzed?

Personally, if I am TBH, it's whoever is the president of the USA, and ATM, it's *sighs* Trump.

Been half a year, and my brain is still having a great amount of difficulty accepting that concept.

So it just means President of the USA no matter his influence or his policies.

Doesn't seem like a useful title if you got it no matter what you end up doing.

It's Trump.

He isn't a very good one but he still holds the most sway.

In what way? I can't think of anything right now which Trump introduced and was widely followed by most of the world.

If anything it's the contrary, under Obama there was way less US allied calling them out. France did, Germany did, Canada did, Israel did (they pulled some shit with Obama too). And it has only been a few months.

It really doesn't feel like it.

So it just means President of the USA no matter his influence or his policies.

Doesn't seem like a useful title if you got it no matter what you end up doing.

Pretty much.

The "Leader of the Free World" is a colloquialism, first used during the Cold War, to describe either the United States or, more commonly, the President of the United States of America. The term when used in this context suggests that the United States is the principal democratic superpower, and the U.S. President is by extension the leader of the world's democratic states, i.e. the "Free World". The phrase has its origin in the 1940s during the Second World War, especially through the anti-fascist Free World magazine and the U.S. propaganda film series Why We Fight.

Sunster

^ well, there you go. free world is ours to command forever guys. we did it.

Why does the free world need A leader? What does that title even mean? Or is this another dick waving contest?

it means absolutely nothing. other countries aren't following our lead or waiting with bated breath for our next move. the world doesn't work that way. this is just some bullshit title we made up decades ago. who are we leading exactly lol? because we have more money and soldiers we are leading the world? leading them how? since when was the world lead by one person? go tell any other country about how the US is leading them. i'm sure they'll take you seriously.

Like, i'm a citizen of the USA, and you'll hear zero arguments.

Like, I think some people don't get it. I'm not defending Trump. I never have liked this MF'er. Even before he entered the political arena I thought he was a egomaniacal asshole.

oti

Banned
Denial in full force for quite a few US GAFers still.

It's been a rough couple months with more bad years for US pride/self-esteem ahead. I feel sorry for those who voted Clinton, but as a whole, the US just... fucked up. Gotta take that L.

It's fascinating to me how this American exceptionalism crap is still going strong. After electing Trump, after electing even more Republicans after that, after being faced with the very obvious flaws of the constitution and election system that just need reforms to be on par with international counterparts. After all that some self-reflection would be in order and yet... USA USA USA.

This whole Freedom Propaganda must be an amazing drug they feed you from a kid's age and onwards.

Sunster

It's fascinating to me how this American exceptionalism crap is still going strong. After electing Trump, after electing even more Republicans after that, after being faced with the very obvious flaws of the constitution and election system that just need reforms to be on par with international counterparts. After all that some self-reflection would be in order and yet... USA USA USA.

This whole Freedom Propaganda must be an amazing drug they feed you from a kid's age and onwards.

whatever country you're from...we lead it. cuz Trump leads the free world... tell all your friends.

tumblr_nz7t7guHIU1rkiuhro1_400.gif

Grug

That Pledge of Allegiance be powerful.

Always found the idea of a routine loyalty pledge a little... totalitarian.

Banglish

People still care about this bullshit title?

I think the reason why the title carries weight among people "still" is that as a global society or at least those that believe in pushing for the advancement of democracy, civil rights, etc.. we want that to be best personified in a single leader. Whether it's right, wrong or traditional.

Top Bottom