• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's currently the Leader of the Free World?

Xando

Is it though? it seems to have more in common with early 20th century american isolationism than nazism, which actively calls for the killing of ethnic groups

You mean like that time he called to kill muslim families because they might or might not be associated to terrorists or that time muslim civilian deaths are drastically up since he became president?

You can literally go on for an hour if you think about his muslim policy, his statements regarding immigrants etc.

A comedy candidate in Maidenhead, totally useless at politics, unable to debate and seems to want to lose everything for fun. She's pictured here with leader of the free World Lord Buckethead.

buckethead.png

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Its Trump. America still has the best Freedom of Speech laws in the world AFAIK and has enough power that other countries care what you think.
Lol no it absolutely doesn't. We have people more and more tolerating the rise of fascism and calling nazism just a difference of opinion that deserves national platforms that's how absurd our free speech laws are as well as how they're understood.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Can you explain why you say the free speech laws of America are better than those in The Netherlands?
For those that don't know:

He who publicly, orally, in writing or graphically, incites hatred against, discrimination of or violent action against person or belongings of people because of their race, their religion or their life philosophy, their gender, their heterosexual or homosexual orientation or their physical, psychological or mental disability, shall be punished by imprisonment of no more than a year or a monetary penalty of the third category

The Netherlands is far more progressive than the U.S. and part of it is due to laws like these. Since our culture takes so much from the Dutch we should seriously consider copying these laws verbatim because holy shit consider the notion that we even have to question who the leader of the free world is because our presidency is an incredibly dangerous laughing stock.

I'm starting to look like I'm defending Trump or nazism, I am absolutely not, I just want us to be precise here. Yes what he is talking about is a war-crime, but to compare it with Nazism doesn't seem accurate to me as from what I understand about the Nazi party, they saw jews and other ethnic groups not as enemy combatants that they could match in battle and must resort to extreme measures like killing their families/affiliates to send a message--but as actual parasites that could be killed easily. The threat that nazis percieved Jewish people and others to be was more insidious, they were viewed as groups that "pollute" the "purity" of any country they enter, not as people who actually had weapons and could do harm. The assumption that the average Trump voter has when it comes to Muslims and Islam is that they have hate for america and will use violence to get their way. A Trump foreign policy represents a validation of those fears and an approach to Islam that is based upon perceiving Arabs as armed threats and their families as collaborators. It has more in common with the classic American Paranoia around communism and McCarthyism more-so than nazism, which itself borrows heavily from imperialism and overt ideas of "purity" and the defense of "purity"

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Lol Trump?? To be leader of the free world first you need to be from a country which is free.
What country has more freedoms than America?

Better yet, list the countries that have better bills of rights and constitutional admendments than the US of A. After naming this country, explain why you havent moved there.

oti

Banned

Better yet, list the countries that have better bills of rights and constitutional admendments than the US of A. After naming this country, explain why you havent moved there.

I have no idea where this US delusion of "the most free country in the world" is coming from. But it's quite embarrassing that so many people still believe this nonsense.

The Human Freedom Index (HFI) is the most comprehensive freedom index so far created for a globally meaningful set of countries. The HFI covers 159 countries for 2014, the most recent year for which sufficient data are available. The index ranks countries beginning in 2008, the earliest year for which a robust enough index could be produced.

The top 10 jurisdictions in order were Hong Kong, Switzerland, New Zealand, Ireland, Denmark, Australia (6), Canada (6), the United Kingdom (6), Finland (9), and the Netherlands (10). The United States is ranked in 23rd place. Other countries rank as follows: Germany (13), Chile (29), France (31), Japan (32), Singapore (40), South Africa (74), Brazil (82), India (87), Russia (115), Nigeria (140), China (141), Saudi Arabia (144), Zimbabwe (148), Venezuela (154), and Iran (157).
https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index

To add to the human freedom index posted above me, you can look at the democracy index where the USA is below 20 countries and the press freedom index where its below 42 countries, so take your pick.

Aeonin

American here - I say Marcon. His speech to America concerning the Paris Agreement was what really got me on his side. He's well spoken, has the right temperament, and is confident enough to reach out and send a positive forward thinking message.

Canada has got a looker for sure, however surface level that assessment may be. Justin, I think is the man for social issues. He doesn't seem to let politics compromise his stances and will make little gestures towards that, like standing away from world leaders yuking it up with Trump.

Merkel may have the tidiest "ship" in this race. But I don't know how she's reaching out into the world in a leadership role. Wish I could see her try to positively affect the EU more at some point. She just seems insular to me.

And no, it is not in any way shape or form Trump. It's more about influence than it is power. America can no longer coast on military protection anymore. In this semi post-nuclear era, and into this misinformation post-truth era - competent and confident leadership is sorely needed. Trump cannot, and would not, provide that.

I mean, you've already shown staggering ignorange with all that's written before the bolded, but... do you have even the faintest idea how hard it is to legally move to a different country?

Let's be real, folks. As your average American, nobody gives a shit about any of your non-US leaders. It's laughable, even. So, Trump by default. Sorry, folks.

Let's be real, folks. In North Korea, nobody gives a shit about any of the non-North Korea leaders. It's laughable, even. So, North Korea by default. Sorry, folks.

Let's be real, folks. As your average American, nobody gives a shit about any of your non-US leaders. It's laughable, even. So, Trump by default. Sorry, folks.

Well, you're right in that Americans decide their imaginary title. Since nobody else cares and they need to reaffirm their exceptionalism.

Let's be real, folks. In North Korea, nobody gives a shit about any of the non-North Korea leaders. It's laughable, even. So, North Korea by default. Sorry, folks.
You don't see the difference between America defining itself as the leader of the free world and North Korea proclaiming it?

In effect its the same thing since no one is actually following either of them right now. You cant be a leader if no one follows you.

Nobody is following Trumps doings on the world stage? Where you at fam? The NK boy is only mentioned when he fires a missile, or kills an American. T-dawg gets a thread here every time he takes a shit.

Were this a NK-centered forum, maybe you would have a point...but, well...

Sunster

Nobody is following Trumps doings on the world stage? Where you at fam? The NK boy is only mentioned when he fires a missile, or kills an American. T-dawg gets a thread here every time he takes a shit.

Were this a NK-centered forum, maybe you would have a point...but, well...

well I think the Trump threads just come along with most gaffers being American

In effect its the same thing since no one is actually following either of them right now. You cant be a leader if no one follows you.
No one is following the US? Or no one is following Trump? The US is still the most powerful nation with the biggest bank account and the largest influence. The world will grit it's teeth and wait it out like it always has. Being President is a 4 year job, maybe 8. The idea that one bad election cycle is the end of America as the dominate force in world politics is insane. We built the free world. We run the free world.

No one is following the US? Or no one is following Trump? The US is still the most powerful nation with the biggest bank account and the largest influence. The world will grit it's teeth and wait it out like it always has. Being President is a 4 year job, maybe 8. The idea that one bad election cycle is the end of America as the dominate force in world politics is insane. We built the free world. We run the free world.

Lmao, American exceptionalism at it's best. Can't do anything wrong and patting itself on the back.

"Largest influence" my ass. International relations are deteriorating so fast, it's not even funny. He's actively encouraging Europe to become more independent from the US.

Lmao, American exceptionalism at it's best. Can't do anything wrong and patting itself on the back.

"Largest influence" my ass. International relations are deteriorating so fast, it's not even funny. He's actively encouraging Europe to become more independent from the US.
You just sound bitter. No one said anything about right or wrong. As far as patting itself on the back, Americans have a lot to be proud of historically. We've come a long way from an English colony on the ass end of the world.

Relations with Trump are bad. Trump is not America. You want to run around proclaiming that the sky is falling because you don't like Trump then go for it. America will still be here.

You just sound bitter. No one said anything about right or wrong. As far as patting itself on the back, Americans have a lot to be proud of historically. We've come a long way from an English colony on the ass end of the world.

Relations with Trump are bad. Trump is not America. You want to run around proclaiming that the sky is falling because you don't like Trump then go for it. America will still be here.

Oh my god. Of course I sound bitter, which self-respecting citizen of an US ally wouldn't be?

No shit America will still be there, it's just losing any goodwill and much of its influence left in real time. The world went through a Bush presidency and said "Yeah well, we won't hold it against you guys, surely won't happen again". Jump to the present, here we are.

We had fucking Merkel saying that we shouldn't rely on the US anymore. One of the least persons I would have expected that from. The situation is that bad, and US allies are realizing that Bush wasn't a one-off, but that y'all gonna keep electing Republicans, most of which I wouldn't even wanna set foot in my country.

The US is weakening it's global position right now, whether you want to acknowledge it or not. That at the same time Americans discuss such veeeeery important topics like who the holder of this completely meaningless title should be, is just sad.

I don't think any average citizen of a country gives a shit about anyone but their own leader. Sure we follow the actions of Trump like we would gaze upon a chimp in a circus of clowns, but then again we also follow other world leaders.

IISANDERII

Lol wow. Even if you take your arbitrary standard of bills and constitutions as your measure, they're meaningless when in practice they fall way short of their promise.

And I haven't moved because there are over 20 countries which have more freedoms than the US of A and it's impossible to live in 20 different countries simultaneously.

Grug

Oh my God. Pick up a fucking book.

That said, I'm not sure you can undo this sort of nationalist inculcation. You are probably one of those people who consider public healthcare to be an assault on "freedom".

IaN_GAF

I would like to, yet again, say that I enjoy a large amount of freedom in The Netherlands and when I look at America I feel like I would be less free over there, but I am not looking to convince anybody.

It was also completely easy for me to move to, and find a job in, different countries in Europe, adding to that feeling of freedom.

I wish nothing but freedom and happiness for all, but some Americans should really learn to look outside their own borders. They focus on a very small part of this huge world they claim to protect.

H2Yo

the biggest bank account

Just because you have a credit card with a large limit, doesn't make you rich.

USA have a $18.96 trillion debt.

Hahahahahahahahaha this is hilarious! The US have the second-highest incarceration rate in the world at 693 people per 100,000.

People still care about this bullshit title?

If you ever wondered how a lot of foreign people see Americans, this right here is it.

Top Bottom