• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to order from microcenter and it gave me a processing error, "We're sorry. A processing error occurred. Please try again." so I did foolishly and it gave me the same error. Now I have two pending payments for 0.00.

Not sure if these will eventually resolve or if I need to get them reversed.

Edit: And now they removed the functionality of adding the cpu to the cart.

cilonen

Hmm.. so the GTX690's been announced with ~300-375W TDP.

I'm running an i7 2600K at 4.4GHz @ 1.256V with a 750W PSU, anyone got a feel whether I have enough headroom with a 750W PSU to run a 690?

Ty4on

Probably no good answer, but I have always wondered.

Why can't I buy a 7X50 with reference cooler (blower) when I can with 7X70. In all the reviews I see 7950 and 7850 with the same cooler as their big brother, but when I try to buy one it's like the radial cooler (which I don't understand the point of when the blower is able to cool the big brother) is the reference cooler.

Karmum

Banned
Bah, first purple screen. Really tempted to RMA this potential POS GTX 460, just don't really want to wait however long I have to for another (it's lame that I can get stuff from Edison, NJ but have to ship all the way to CA). Now that I think about it, the purple screen may either be from that or the beta EVGA drivers I'm using. Really hoping for it to be a driver issue for like BF3 and this purple screen.

dmann

Hmm.. so the GTX690's been announced with ~300-375W TDP.

I'm running an i7 2600K at 4.4GHz @ 1.256V with a 750W PSU, anyone got a feel whether I have enough headroom with a 750W PSU to run a 690?

If you can afford a GTX690 at 1k, why not just splurge and get larger PSU at the same time?

cilonen

If you can afford a GTX690 at 1k, why not just splurge and get larger PSU at the same time?

I'm prepared to pay for performance - and probably in a month or two rather than get shafted whilst they are supply constrained for a while - but I don't want to spend unnecessarily.

Double checking, it's actually an 850W PSU I have. I was torn between a 750 modular and an 850 non-mod for about the same money; went for teh 850 but still have it down as the 750 modular on my build excel spreadsheet. D'oh.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
So got a new PC recently, it's not that good at all but it will have to do for awhile. It's specs are:

AMD Athlon II X2 250
2 gigs of Ram
500 gig hard drive

I'm missing the video card so i was wondering which one would suit my PC best, obviously i don't want anything too powerful because the CPU would drag down the performance. Any suggestions guys?

Just bought the Intel Core i7 3770K processor 3.5 4 LGA 1155 from Amazon for free. I love my job, get so many Amazon credit :)

Infact, I built my whole new computer system for free!!!!!!

So, I've finally decided to upgrade my MOBO, CPU, GPU and RAM. For the GPU I think I'll get the GTX680 (if I can find one) and for RAM, I'll get 16 GB DDR3 1600 (haven't decided on a brand yet or if to get a 2x8GB sticks or 4x4GB sticks)

CPU though, I think I'm getting the IB 3570K, as far as I've read the IB's heat&power problems compared to the SB don't start until you reach 4.8GHz and above, and while I'll be losing my OC virginity with this build I don't think I'll try to reach those high numbers, so unless the 2500K got other advantages over the 3570K, I think I'll get the Ivy Bridge.

When it comes to MOBOs though I really have no clue, so I'm hoping some of the fine folks here will help me choose one.

so in summary I'll be getting:

GPU: GTX680
CPU: 3570K (unless the SB has something better that I don't know about besides better OCing)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 (don't know which brand yet)
Motherboard: Don't know yet

As for my PSU it's a Gigabyte GE-P610A-C2, 610W with 720W peak wattage (don't know what that means), so I hope it will be enough for now.

DSN2K

So got a new PC recently, it's not that good at all but it will have to do for awhile. It's specs are:

AMD Athlon II X2 250
2 gigs of Ram
500 gig hard drive

I'm missing the video card so i was wondering which one would suit my PC best, obviously i don't want anything too powerful because the CPU would drag down the performance. Any suggestions guys?

HD 6670 Review

dont worry about the low frame rates in the review, they are putting high levels of AA on, drop that and you will be able to play games at a decent level.

Ty4on

As for my PSU it's a Gigabyte GE-P610A-C2, 610W with 720W peak wattage (don't know what that means), so I hope it will be enough for now.

It can deliver 610W 24/7, but it can also deliver 720W for a short period of time. As you can see in this review (500W with 550W peak) that PSU is able to provide 550W, but it will shut down after some seconds if the load stays

Shambles

The 690 is a fantastic case, have that right now and it's really good.

Anyone had any hands on with the 400/500R and the 690II advanced? How do they stack up compared to each other? From what I'm reading so far the 690 has a lot better build quality.

Gritesh

About to pull the trigger on

GA-Z77-D3H Motherboard Bundle w/ Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kit

and an i5 2500k.

and a Hyper 212+ should I add the second fan in?

I would wait for the i5 3570k to be in stock, but I am an overclocking hound and don't like hearing that it runs hot.

Someone stop me in the next 10 minutes if im making a bad choice, I am going to go pick it up.

Also I will be selling my current mobo/cpu/ram/cooler set up

Amd X6 1055t running at 3.9ghz
Gigabyte UD3H
Patriot 4gb ram 1600mhz
and a Zalman Cpu cooler with flashy blue leds

I would really like to know how difficult it is to build your first full fledged PC? I'll be doing it in a few days and I'm a bit tentative. I've watched some of the how to videos linked in the OP. Man thats a lot of wiring to do and it seems a bit over my head. Hope I dont fry any expensive components. Any advice for a newb like myself?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
HD 6670 Review

dont worry about the low frame rates in the review, they are putting high levels of AA on, drop that and you will be able to play games at a decent level.

Thanks a lot! that does seem like a good card, having a quick check at my somewhat local store they sell 2 models: A XFX 6670 1 gig with DDR 3 and a Sapphire 6670 1 gig with DDR 5.
The DDR 5 model should be faster tough i dunno if if the difference is that huge, i'll probably go with DDR 5 model.

LordAlu

I would really like to know how difficult it is to build your first full fledged PC? I'll be doing it in a few days and I'm a bit tentative. I've watched some of the how to videos linked in the OP. Man thats a lot of wiring to do and it seems a bit over my head. Hope I dont fry any expensive components. Any advice for a newb like myself?
It's not difficult at all, even for a first timer. Just take your time and it flows easily. The OP has some links to some great video guides and posts about cable guiding as well :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
About to pull the trigger on

GA-Z77-D3H Motherboard Bundle w/ Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Kit

and an i5 2500k.

and a Hyper 212+ should I add the second fan in?

I would wait for the i5 3570k to be in stock, but I am an overclocking hound and don't like hearing that it runs hot.

Someone stop me in the next 10 minutes if im making a bad choice, I am going to go pick it up.

Also I will be selling my current mobo/cpu/ram/cooler set up

Amd X6 1055t running at 3.9ghz
Gigabyte UD3H
Patriot 4gb ram 1600mhz
and a Zalman Cpu cooler with flashy blue leds
I would buy 1 more fan and have a push/pull configuration.

Gav47

Any advice for a newb like myself?
It's pretty easy, almost every cable is keyed so you won't be plugging things in incorrectly and you don't have to use a lot of force on parts (bar the CPU bracket and ram) so the chances of snapping something is pretty low.
Try to read up on cable management before you start, you'll save yourself some time if you get it right on your first go. I had the Tested video in the OP open when I built my first computer just for reference.

Sethos

Banned

My best tip: Don't get nervous when seating the CPU. That scared me the first time, because your clamping it down and it just feels like your applying too much pressure, then you'll here some faint crackling sounds. Always hated that :p

So I should be constantly touching something metal to keep myself grounded so I dont fry my motherboard or CPU? This part also concerns me because my house is mostly carpeted and I'm always shocking myself.

Sethos

Banned
So I should be constantly touching something metal to keep myself grounded so I dont fry my motherboard or CPU? This part also concerns me because my house is mostly carpeted and I'm always shocking myself.

Build your computer on a wooden table somewhere with no carpet. If you don't have any Alligator clip wristbands to ground yourself with, touch something that's grounded within your home every now and then.

It can deliver 610W 24/7, but it can also deliver 720W for a short period of time. As you can see in this review (500W with 550W peak) that PSU is able to provide 550W, but it will shut down after some seconds if the load stays

Would that (610W) be enough to what am building ?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Okay, I've finally settled on a case (yes, I changed my mind yet again :p) and should have the money to spare in about a week. And so it is that I'd like PC-GAF's stamp of approval and/or words of advice on the following (bear in mind that these are Australian prices):

Case: SilverStone TJ04-EW $168
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K $249
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 $89
GPU: GTX 570 $N/A
HDDs/SSDs: 1x 2TB Hitachi 7200rpm and 3x 2TB Samsung F4 5400rpm; 1x 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 $N/A
Memory: Corsair/G.Skill/Kingston DDR3-1600 8GB Kit (2x4GB) $59
Motherboard: ASRock z77 Extreme4 $155
ODD: Pioneer BDR-206 $N/A
PSU: OCZ ZX 1000W $219

(Italicised items denote those that will be carried over from my current system [4GB DDR2-800 and an Intel C2D E6420 at 3.2GHz].)

Some notes to consider:
- I switched to the TJ04 from the Fractal Arc/R3 as it appears to offer good cooling performance and plenty of drive bays without the caveat of a potentially limiting/restrictive 290mm GPU length.
- I'll be overclocking the CPU to 4.5GHz Also, retailers are gradually adding the 3570K to their respective stores and it is looking to be at least $40 more than the 2500K; I don't think IB is worth the premium considering the miniscule performance benefit and apparent OC issues. Edit: Fast-forward to today and the store increased the price of the 2500K by $10 while also lowering the price of the 3570K by the same! IB it is, I suppose. Ideally I won't be upgrading from IB until Intel finally release some OC-friendly mid-tier hex-cores or desktop octo-cores.
- Australian summers are hot, so I think the extra grunt of the NH-D14 will come in handy during those warmer months. Although I'd set my sights on Thermalright's equivalent, the Silver Arrow, it is no longer available from either of the two stores I'll be ordering from.
- All three mentioned RAM manufacturers offer a low-profile 8GB kit at said price point; I'll just be ordering whatever happens to be in stock on the day.
- ASRock has made a name for itself with its "cheap but not nasty" motherboards; the Extreme4 seems to perform well and its rather standard feature set is enough for me.
- I may not buy the PSU if my car's very-long-overdue service ends up costing me an arm and a leg. I'm currently using a Corsair HX-520W that has been running my current system admirably for 2 or 3 years now, and from what I can gather my proposed system will chew about the same if not a little less power than my current one. I won't tempt fate by overclocking if I go this route; I'll put that on hold. If you're wondering "Why not just wait until you have the $220?", well, my current system is quite literally falling apart and two of my HDDs are taking up residence on the floor outside of the case -- I really do need a new system as soon as possible, and this upgrade has been put off long enough. I should also mention that I have my eye on a 1KW PSU since I'd like some headroom as gaming on a high-res 27" monitor would require quite a lot of GPU grunt (I'm still wavering between paying the premium for Dell's U2711H or just opting for its 23" 1080p cousin, the U2312HM).

Deadly

I've been having some troubles lately. Sometime I'll boot a game up and my fps will be pretty much dead. In Aion it's cut by half (~60 to ~30) and in dota2 it drops all the way to like 20. I'm guessing my video card is dieing ?

Hawk269

My best tip: Don't get nervous when seating the CPU. That scared me the first time, because your clamping it down and it just feels like your applying too much pressure, then you'll here some faint crackling sounds. Always hated that :p

lmao Sethos...I was going to reply to his original post but scrolled down to see if anyone was going to mention about the seating of the CPU and of course you did. For me that was also the most nerve racking thing about the build and even though I have build 4-5 rigs since then, seating is still a little nerve racking. The only other thing for me is feeling confident that I applied the TIM properly.

My recommendation to any new builder is to take your time, read what you can, even watch a few youtube video's of seeing someone build a rig (this helped me a lot). And ask questions, everyone here in this thread are very helpful.

The other thing, dont worry about your cable management at first, get everything hooked up, check to see if it posts, get windows going then work on cable management later.

darkvir

Just purchased a machine, was waiting for ivy & 680s. Here are the specs:

CPU i7 3770
EVGA 680gtx
Asus Sabertooth z77
Corsair 600T case
Corsair Vengeance 32 gigs of ram
Intel 520 120GB SSD
Antec Earthwatts 750W power supply
Asus Blu-Ray Writer

A heatsink from Coolmaster and an Asus Wifi N adapter. Now I have to wait for the 680s to be in stock again.

Arg! Turns out I had made it in time for the 3570k + $50 off the Z77 -V Pro deal (making it same price as the LE) at microcenter but Chase declined the charges ("anti-fraud") so it never went through and now of course you can't do the deal online...

So I've been thinking about picking up an IPS monitor for a dual monitor setup for the last little while, but I'm sorta wondering if its worth the extra expense. I'd really like a 1920x1200 one as well, which a lot of IPS monitors seem to be. My biggest worry though is I hear the refresh rates aren't all that good for gaming. Anyone have any recommendations for what I should start looking at?

ParityBit

Couple more questions:

1. Do you put your rig on the floor or up on your desk? Specifically full towers.
  2. Anyone use the monitor arms to save space on the desk? If so which? (I have a 27 and 24 monitor)

Thanks!

Checking to see if anyone has any feelings on these questions!

vazel

Banned
So I've been thinking about picking up an IPS monitor for a dual monitor setup for the last little while, but I'm sorta wondering if its worth the extra expense. I'd really like a 1920x1200 one as well, which a lot of IPS monitors seem to be. My biggest worry though is I hear the refresh rates aren't all that good for gaming. Anyone have any recommendations for what I should start looking at?
There will be blurring with fast motion on an IPS monitor plus the black levels are not good. Only get one if colors matter a great deal to you.

Snagged a i5-3570k as a walk-in deal from Micro Center.

If I had known they were doing the motherboard combo from Day 1 I would have gotten that there as well. :-/

Sethos

Banned
There will be blurring with fast motion on an IPS monitor plus the black levels are not good. Only get one if colors matter a great deal to you.

Depends on the quality of the IPS panel. I have never seen any blur on mine and the blacks are astounding.

vazel

Banned
Depends on the quality of the IPS panel.
I've yet to see a review for an IPS that has a similar pixel response time performance of a TN panel. And bad blacks are inherent to the technology(and I have an H-IPS panel which supposedly has the best blacks of all the IPS variants).

Sethos

Banned
I've yet to see a review for an IPS that has a similar pixel response time performance of a TN panel. And bad blacks are inherent to the technology(and I have an H-IPS panel which supposedly has the best blacks of all the IPS variants).

Higher pixel response doesn't automatically mean blurring / ghosting. I have yet to see any sort of blurring on my U3011 and with the Adobe RGB preset, I have some extremely good looking blacks that rivals my Panasonic plasma.

sk3

Banned
I remember when I got my 2005fpw way back when and I noticed some blurring in battlefield 1942. But you get used to it pretty fast. The viewing angles and color accuracy is worth it to me.

I just put together my new computer with 3570k. Routed all the cables... everything good to go... and I have no displayport cable. The motherboard has hdmi and displayport, my U2412M has dvi and displayport. I have a million hdmi cables, no displayport. fuuuuuuck.

vazel

Banned
Higher pixel response doesn't automatically mean blurring / ghosting. I have yet to see any sort of blurring on my U3011
Reviews do test for motion resolution with an app like pixperan
and with the Adobe RGB preset, I have some extremely good looking blacks that rivals my Panasonic plasma.
So you got one of the pannies with the rising black level problem I take it. :p j/k

MrBig

Higher pixel response doesn't automatically mean blurring / ghosting. I have yet to see any sort of blurring on my U3011 and with the Adobe RGB preset, I have some extremely good looking blacks that rivals my Panasonic plasma.

You play games in Adobe RGB? I didn't know any games used color management. How do the colors look?

I'm wanting to get an IPS panel (2 if I can get them for ~$200 each) for color work and gaming. Is the 23" IPS235V still the best choice, or should I wait for the LG IPS4 monitors?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Stop me Gaf.....I have 415 bucks worth of points on my card and im close to pulling the trigger on a 3770k with the Biostrar z77E4 MP, and 16 gigs of ram.

I already have an i7 930 with a 7970 and 12 gigs of ram but damn its so hard to resist the new shiny hotness :/

Stop me Gaf.....I have 415 bucks worth of points on my card and im close to pulling the trigger on a 3770k with the Biostrar z77E4 MP, and 16 gigs of ram.

I already have an i7 930 with a 7970 and 12 gigs of ram but damn its so hard to resist the new shiny hotness :/

I have basically the same system. My i7 930 is clocked at 3.9 Ghz and one thing I haven't run into yet is CPU bottlenecking while gaming. However, I don't do a lot of emulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom