• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I am really torn between getting a 2700k or waiting for the 3770k. I am not going to be building for about another 6 weeks, so I can definitely wait for the 3770k's to be in-stock, but all these heat issues have me a little wary.

If I pick up a Z77 mobo and throw a 2700k in it, will I be missing out on any features? I am under the impression that the native USB 3.0 support is a Z77 feature, not an Ivy feature. Is that correct?

I am only considering a 2700k because I can get one from NCIX for 299.99 right now, and the 2600k is still about $350. I am planning on doing some OC'ing and have a pretty good air setup, if that matters.
You should be able to pick up a cheap 2600K used for less?

Only thing you lose I think is PCI-E 3.0 but I'm not sure on that by a long shot.

theRizzle

You should be able to pick up a cheap 2600K used for less?

Only thing you lose I think is PCI-E 3.0 but I'm not sure on that by a long shot.

Getting a used processor kind of makes me a little nervous, and I'm not really that hard up for cash, so I don't mind spending the money to get it new (for warranty reasons). I would just rather make up my mind about it sooner rather than later if I can get the 2700k for cheap.

And I think by the time PCI-E 3.0 will start to make a difference I will likely be looking at a total system overhaul anyways.

Ok, I think I'm mostly done with the core computer:

Locked In Parts (a.k.a. already paid for):
Case: Define R3
HDD: Samsung (seagate?) 2tb hdd

Planned Unless Something better suggested:
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LE LGA
CPU: i5-3570k
PSU: Antec eco green 650w
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Optical: LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive

Unsure:
GPU: GTX 570 or 7870? (Might be too long of a wait til GTX670?)
Monitor: ASUS VH236H (Not really sold on the 120 Hz and this one was pointed to earlier)
Keyboard: Honestly no idea what is good here. Mechanical?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Getting a used processor kind of makes me a little nervous, and I'm not really that hard up for cash, so I don't mind spending the money to get it new (for warranty reasons). I would just rather make up my mind about it sooner rather than later if I can get the 2700k for cheap.

And I think by the time PCI-E 3.0 will start to make a difference I will likely be looking at a total system overhaul anyways.
A used CPU is the most indestructible used part you can buy after a case imo. I have zero issues buying a used CPU. 2700K is fine, no worries there.
how is this fan speed setting? 5850 O/C. I play BF3 on HIGH
As long as your temps are under 90C load.
Ok, I think I'm mostly done with the core computer:

Locked In Parts (a.k.a. already paid for):
Case: Define R3
HDD: Samsung (seagate?) 2tb hdd

Planned Unless Something better suggested:
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-V LE LGA
CPU: i5-3570k
PSU: Antec eco green 650w
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Optical: LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive

Unsure:
GPU: GTX 570 or 7870? (Might be too long of a wait til GTX670?)
Monitor: ASUS VH236H (Not really sold on the 120 Hz and this one was pointed to earlier)
Keyboard: Honestly no idea what is good here. Mechanical?
Looks fine to me

Gritesh

Would this be a good motherboard to pair with a i5 2500k?

P8H77-V LE

I'm thinking this weekend I will go from my x6 1055t to an i5 build, i only use my PC for gaming, and benchmarks are showing a severe increase in frames on the i5 over the amd I currently have.

What chipset do I want to go with on the mainboard?

I'm kind of out of the loop on SSDs since they're relatively new, but how reliable are they compared to magnetic HDDs? Seems like I've heard about firmware bugs resulting in data loss and limited write cycles that makes them die sooner than you expect, and that they're far less reliable than HDDs. True?

And specifically, how's the Crucial M4 128GB?

Hi, out of either the Corsair TX550M and the Silverstone Strider Plus 600w which should i get , im looking at psus around the AUS 110$ range.
Any alternatives to suggest?

Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm kind of out of the loop on SSDs since they're relatively new, but how reliable are they compared to magnetic HDDs? Seems like I've heard about firmware bugs resulting in data loss and limited write cycles that makes them die sooner than you expect, and that they're far less reliable than HDDs. True?

And specifically, how's the Crucial M4 128GB?
More reliable. Intel, Crucial, and Samsung being much more reliable. Those are a good amount under 1% failure tmk.
Would this be a good motherboard to pair with a i5 2500k?

P8H77-V LE

I'm thinking this weekend I will go from my x6 1055t to an i5 build, i only use my PC for gaming, and benchmarks are showing a severe increase in frames on the i5 over the amd I currently have.

What chipset do I want to go with on the mainboard?
Might as well go with Z77 for native support. It's like $10 more vs Z68.
Hi, out of either the Corsair TX550M and the Silverstone Strider Plus 600w which should i get , im looking at psus around the AUS 110$ range.
Any alternatives to suggest?

Thanks.
Silverstone if it's anything like it's 500W brother.

More reliable. Intel, Crucial, and Samsung being much more reliable. Those are a good amount under 1% failure tmk.

Might as well go with Z77 for native support. It's like $10 more vs Z68.

Silverstone if it's anything like it's 500W brother.
Thanks ill pick that up.

McHuj

No, you're not missing anything. There have been consistent deals for the last several months or so where you could get SSD's for about $1/GB.

Yeah I just picked the 128 up from Buy for 115 after shipping. not bad.

hope it's good, kinda only like to buy intel ssd's for reliability, but oh well. the intel 120's are more like 150, so it's worth the difference to get the m4 imo.

the user reviews on that m4 are simply stellar both at newegg and amazon, so it should be good.

i know it had a bsod problem, and a fw update fixed it, hope this drive ships with the fixed fw.

i really dont have much prob with my current 40 gb intel boot/prog drive, i usually have 4-5 gb free. but this 128 will be tons of space. plus a lot faster.

i should be able to sell my current ssd for 30-40, so that'll help too.

anybody know, since all the rest of my stuff will be the same, is it possible to just clone my current ssd over? any free software for that?

abasm

i should be able to sell my current ssd for 30-40, so that'll help too.

It might only be available on Z77 motherboards, but I remember seeing something with regards to turning smaller SSDs (64 GB or less) into caches for mechanical drives. That might also be an option.

Don't know if I should post this here.

Remember those faulty Sandy Bridge boards from a year ago. Yeah, I didn't have time to exchange mine and now I have the issue. My SATA 2 connectors have all failed (simultaneously). It's not a terrible problem. I just moved my CD/DVD drive from port 4 to port 1 (sata 3 port).

Is it still possible to exchange these things at this point?

Prozel

Hi guys, lately I've been looking into a new GPU. At first i was thinking 7950 but since my budget a shrunk a bit since I'm between GTX570 or 7850. I'm pretty noob at this but looking at benchmarks makes me even more confused. I'm leaning towards 570 because of the features nVidia offer but I dont know.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I did a build this week. Thanks everyone for advice and suggestions.

Highlights -
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance
CPU - i5 2500k
GPU - GTX560Ti 2MB
PSU - Corsair TX750 (I should have gotten the modular version.

7121570923_1b20a2fee8_z.jpg

7121570117_f3048ed1bb_z.jpg

7121571323_e88d314b65_z.jpg

I will be getting my cable management on this weekend, but everything is working just fine functionally.

Gritesh

Hi guys, lately I've been looking into a new GPU. At first i was thinking 7950 but since my budget a shrunk a bit since I'm between GTX570 or 7850. I'm pretty noob at this but looking at benchmarks makes me even more confused. I'm leaning towards 570 because of the features nVidia offer but I dont know.

Get a 7950 or wait for the new nvidia offerings. I cannot recommend a 7850 really when for about 100 more you can get into a 7950 3gb card.

The 570 would be a good choice but with the inveitable launch of the 670 down the road and whatever else nvidia has coming I would wait it out or go for ATI's top end offering.

Sethos

Banned
Very nice dskillzhtown :)

Get the 7950, no doubt about it.

Ultrabum

Highlights -
CPU - i5 2500k
GPU - GTX560Ti 2MB

IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7101/7121570923_1b20a2fee8_z.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7211/7121570117_f3048ed1bb_z.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8163/7121571323_e88d314b65_z.jpg[/IMG]

I will be getting my cable management on this weekend, but everything is working just fine functionally.

Great looking build! What kind of airflow do you get in that case? I mean, how many case fans, how many blowing in/out?

snack

Highlights -
CPU - i5 2500k
GPU - GTX560Ti 2MB

7121570923_1b20a2fee8_z.jpg

7121570117_f3048ed1bb_z.jpg

7121571323_e88d314b65_z.jpg

Which Corsair case is that?

suaveric

Hey Hazaro, are you going to be updating the OP anytime soon, like today or tomorrow?

My GPU just died out of the blue so now I'm going to be putting a new computer together about six months to a year before I had planned to. I want to have the new parts ordered before the end of the weekend. Thanks.

dskillzhtown

Which Corsair case is that?

Great looking build! What kind of airflow do you get in that case? I mean, how many case fans, how many blowing in/out?

It is the Corsair 600T.

The Corsair H60 is pushing out. There are two 200mm fans in the front top pushing out, as well as a 120mm fan on top doing the same. You can actually replace the plexiglass side with a mesh to mount more fans if you want.

dskillzhtown

You would think people would want smaller setups but looks like the 90s era PC cases want their fashion dominance back.

I am a novice at doing this building stuff, so a big case that gives me plenty of room worked for me. I have 8 expansion bays, only using 3 at the moment so I have plenty to room to upgrade/add.

clav

I am a novice at doing this building stuff, so a big case that gives me plenty of room worked for me. I have 8 expansion bays, only using 3 at the moment so I have plenty to room to upgrade/add.

I helped a friend build his first setup, so I understand that.

Still, you would think desktop computers would have become smaller today compared to how they were a decade or two ago.

Guess it's hard for case manufacturers to agree on setting an affordable micro ATX case design.

Sethos

Banned
You would think people would want smaller setups but looks like the 90s era PC cases want their fashion dominance back.

mATX just means worse airflow, much less versatile, slimmer selection of parts and in some cases harder to work with / make pretty and worse cooling solutions, especially for the CPU. That's just my view on it and would never go down the route. I can see all the advantages but it's not everyone who wants those advantaged compares to the drawbacks.

clav

mATX just means worse airflow, much less versatile, slimmer selection of parts and in some cases harder to work with / make pretty. That's just my view on it and would never go down the route. I can see all the advantages but it's not everyone who wants those advantaged compares to the drawbacks.

I don't agree with that, but I'll respect your opinion.

I'm just bitter that microATX cases are more expensive than ATX cases. :p

Prozel

Get a 7950 or wait for the new nvidia offerings. I cannot recommend a 7850 really when for about 100 more you can get into a 7950 3gb card.

The 570 would be a good choice but with the inveitable launch of the 670 down the road and whatever else nvidia has coming I would wait it out or go for ATI's top end offering.

I cant afford 7950 that's the problem.

EDIT: What the hell. I rather wait after talking with Sethos. Thanks anyway. :)

Hawk269

Just a reminder that Nvidia will be making their announcement later today. I beleive it is at 7:30pm PST...

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/its-coming-countdown/

That is the link to the countdown and it also says they are streaming the announcement.

Based on rumors here is in a nutshell what it might be:

1. Announcement of the GTX-690 which would be 2 680 GPU's on one PCB.
2. Announcement of the lower end GPU's. 650, 660, 670 series GPU's
3. Announcement of the high end GTX 780

We will find out in about 8 hours or so. My prediction is it is #1. Which will only really benefit those that want SLI, but have limited PCI lanes. 2x680's in SLI will outperform 1 rumored 690 since the 690 like it's formar 590 is just 2 680 GPU's downclocked to control heat and power consumption. But those that want quad SLI but only have 2 PCI lanes, you can get 2 690's and enjoy quad SLI albeit a bit slower than 4x680's in SLI. Again, this is just rumors at the moment and speculation on my part based on how the 590 worked out. The only "kink" in my comment is that the 680 does a great job at heat and power consumption...so will it be possible to put 2 GPU on one PCB without them being handicaped due to heat/power??? It might be possible, which would make it very interesting for this simple reason. 4x680 SLI cards, stacked next to each other will run hotter than having 2 690's in SLI with spacing between the 2 cards. Again, speculation on my part but gives you something to think about!!!

Speaking of rumors, Ivy Bridge is rumored to go on sale on Monday for those interested. I know the biggest speculation right now is if the retail/consumer level chips will have TIM or the Solder method which is rumored that the TIM is causing the high heat levels when the chip is overclocked above 4.5mhz.

Sethos

Banned
Very much doubt they would announce anything to trump the 680 ( Single cards ), that would be the business equivalent of a shot in the foot.

It's either the 690 or the lower range. My money is on the 690, that's where the majority of rumours point to. Rest of the rumours point to a May 10th launch of the 660 / 670.

Hawk269

Very much doubt they would announce anything to trump the 680 ( Single cards ), that would be the business equivalent of a shot in the foot.

It's either the 690 or the lower range. My money is on the 690, that's where the majority of rumours point to. Rest of the rumours point to a May 10th launch of the 660 / 670.

Agree. I don't think they would go the extent of hyping "it's coming" with a countdown and all on something that is "lower end" than the current flagship card. Since the 690 would be a dual GPU, it wont effect the 680 much because it will cater to a niche market moreso than the 680.

My biggest issue with any announcement is the fact that it is so hard to find a 680 as it is and now they are going to announce yet another 28nm GPU when they cant keep the current one in stock at all. If you visit evga it is almost comical how many people are camping the site for the 680's..especially the Signature edition cards.

Sarcasm

So wife is almost convinced I need a desktop...for autocad. Its what I say...haha!

So my quest if I buy an intel mobo and cpu, there a way to future proof it when the new intel cpus come out? I plan to get the 2500K i5 to OC.

MrBig

So wife is almost convinced I need a desktop...for autocad. Its what I say...haha!

So my quest if I buy an intel mobo and cpu, there a way to future proof it when the new intel cpus come out? I plan to get the 2500K i5 to OC.

There's no surefire way to future proof it. I would certainly go for a 3570k and not a 2500k, as that at least gives you PCIe 3 for you to do a better gpu upgrade in a few years without a whole new build, and you can still overclock to 4.4-4.5 and get better performance than a 2500k.

Hawk269

Well Ivy is rumored to go on sale on Monday, so you have to consider that. As far as any further future proofing, Haswell which is the next CPU from Intel will use a different socket than Z77...so regardless if you move to Haswell in the future you will need another Mobo.

The only chip that I know of that is coming out in the future that would work on existing Mobo's is the Ivy "E" Class chips which are rumored to come out at the end of the year/early next year and will be 2011 socket compatible.

Hawk269

Do we have any "air flow" experts that can comment on my air flow setup?

airflow.png

Here is the configuration/fan size etc.

1. On the outer right I have 3 120mm intake fans. Behind the bottom outter right fan are the 2xhdd's and 1 ssd to cool them.
2. On the inner right I have 2 120mm intake fans pulling air from the outer fans. Top fan is lined up with the memory modules blowing cool air, 2nd fan lines up with GPU's.
3. On the bottom right is 200mm fan pulling cool air from outside and into the case.
4. Bottom left is the PSU pulling air from inside of case and out.
5. Square in the middle is a 200mm attached to the side panel blowing cool air over GPU's.
6. Left near the top is a 140mm outtake fan
7. Top is the H100 with 2 120mm fans blowing air out the top of the case
8. Not pictured on diagram are 2 GTX 680's taking cool air in the case and blowing air out the back
9. Not pictured on diagram is a 120mm thin profile fan attached to the other case door blowing cool air on the back side of the cpu/mobo.

I have one more fan mount on the top of the case for an additional 120mm or 140mm fan to blow air out as well...if needed.

So just wondering if any our resident experts can comment on my air flow and if this is a good set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom