• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Cross post from ivy thread

From Overclockers.com

Why is Ivy Bridge so hot? Ask that question in any forum currently, and you are likely to receive one of two different popular (but not entirely correct) answers that everyone has been parroting:

“Power density is greater on Ivy Bridge than Sandy Bridge”
“Intel has problems with tri-gate/22nm”
The first answer is correct, but wrong at the same time – power density is greater, but it isn’t what is causing temperatures to be as much as 20 °C higher on Ivy Bridge compared to Sandy Bridge when overclocked. The second answer is jumping to conclusions without sufficient evidence. If you aren’t in the loop, there’s evidence of a considerable temperature difference nearly everywhere you look – we confirmed it by mirroring settings in our Ivy Bridge review, and we have read similar reports in solid testing at Anandtech as well as from other sites.

600x274px-LL-6571a4c0_251a.jpeg

So based on what evidence we could find from our own investigation, as well as what experience has taught us, Ivy Bridge is running hot when overclocked because of TIM paste between the IHS compared to solder attach used on Sandy Bridge. Why Intel made this choice we aren’t yet sure. We also aren’t sure if they will continue using TIM paste on the Ivy Bridge line, or if this will only be seen on the Engineering Samples like the units sent out for review. However, we’ve put word out again to Intel and are waiting to hear back if they have any further insight or comment to offer. If nothing else, we can hope their reply will again be in good humor… “Secret Sauce” did give us a laugh!

Sethos

Banned
Wow, it's ridiculous how Intel could let something like this slip... [conspiracy]unless Ivy Bridge was such an amazing overclocker they had to artificially limit it...[/conspiracy]

I wouldn't even be surprised if it was to limit the product to fit into their business scheme.

Hawk269

I tided up my cables a little and it resulted in my BIOS temps falling by around 10°C. I was just wondering if anybody could see any room for improvement, the secondary power's the only thing that stands out to me and I think I'm screwed on that front. Anyway the image is here:

r2Bww.jpg

Flip the HDD around so that cabels are on the other side. Get an extension cable for the seconday Mobo power so you can route it from behind the case. And I know it sounds a bit anal, but if you order sleeving you can sleeve any cable that is not black..or you can go cheap and still get a great look is get black electrical tape and sleeve the cables using electrical tape to make them look black.

Lastly, get about a dozen medium sized zip ties in black and tighten up all the cables. For example you can tie the cables leading to the mobo's bottom together to give it a cleaner look, just leave enough slack to ensure they plug in.

Karmum

Banned
Well, I'm all SLI'd up. Noticed in MSI Afterburner that GPU 2 usage is almost always at 0% even though GPU usage for my first GTX 460 is fluctuating depending on what's going on. Bad? Froze in Skyrim when I tried to pull back to the task manager to dry and check out the usage then.

Edit - Doing the Windows Performance Test now and I see it going up and down. So far so good, hopefully.

mkenyon

Banned
You certain you have SLI enabled?

*edit*

If you want to be certain, do a run in 3DMark11 and compare it to someone in the Race your PC thread.

*edit 2*

And make sure your drivers are up to date, and that you have a profile for your game of choice.

MisterNoisy

I tided up my cables a little and it resulted in my BIOS temps falling by around 10°C. I was just wondering if anybody could see any room for improvement, the secondary power's the only thing that stands out to me and I think I'm screwed on that front. Anyway the image is here:

r2Bww.jpg

I flipped around your image to present it as if you're looking at the back side of the motherboard tray with the right side door off.

bjIHT.jpg

Your case has a bunch of ziptie loops on the motherboard tray - use those to secure your cables and route them where they need to go. Everything from the PSU should first pass through to the underside of the mobo tray through the big hole next to the PSU. In the case of your EPS CPU power cable, you can get a cable extension if it won't reach when it's routed in this fashion.

Hawk269 is spot on re: flipping the HDDs around - that way you can gather up all the cables so they can be secured/hidden under the motherboard tray.

None of this will likely improve temps, since your cables are already mostly out of the way - this is mostly just about making it look nicer.

mkenyon

Banned
Mr. Noisy's advice is good. One thing though is that you can clip the bottom zip tie hole that he has outlined in red and put your front panel connections through that. Also, your CPU power cable should be routed behind your motherboard tray. If it doesn't reach, literally route it underneath the motherboard, between the motherboard and the tray. Check out this guide, link from the OP.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be sure to get some more zip ties and tidy things up a little. I think I'll leave the secondary power as it is unless I need to reapply my thermal paste given that it's such a hassle to get it in with the Noctua installed. Still the diagram and advice is really helpful so cheers.

Sethos

Banned
It's funny, a few years ago cable management was the last thing on my mind when building a machine - Hated the idea and all the effort. Then in my last build, it was so much fun doing it, almost a challenge how much you could tuck it away. Probably the thing I look forward to the most on my upcoming build <3

mkenyon

Banned
That's where it all starts...

Before you know it, you're cutting into your case, fitting radiators, and thinking about how your tubing matches your motherboard and graphics card.

Sethos

Banned
That's where it all starts...

Before you know it, you're cutting into your case, fitting radiators, and thinking about how your tubing matches your motherboard and graphics card.

Nah, water isn't the natural next step - I really dislike the look of water setups for some reason, while the temp benefits are great the look is awful. Looks like a toilet.

Did help a friend out with a water setup and it was fun to work with but I just don't feel the looks.

Whelp it's time to say goodbye to my q6600 after nearly 4 years of loyal service. Had a 10% discount voucher for overclockers.co.uk and a £25 cashback on an msi mobo. Couldn't resist.
pc.jpg

Going to keep my HD5850 for the time being. But I'm looking forward to the boost in performance. Just in time for Diablo 3. And I have the Witcher 2 to play through as well.

1-D_FTW

It's funny, a few years ago cable management was the last thing on my mind when building a machine - Hated the idea and all the effort. Then in my last build, it was so much fun doing it, almost a challenge how much you could tuck it away. Probably the thing I look forward to the most on my upcoming build <3

I never cared either, but with these new cases, even a chimp can do good cable management. Makes a big difference.

Sethos

Banned
I never cared either, but with these new cases, even a chimp can do good cable management. Makes a big difference.

Yeah, probably why I was never too bothered - The cases back then were terrible for cable management. No real cutouts, not enough room to pull the large cables through, terrible layouts and no locations to tuck anything away.

mkenyon

Banned
pc.jpg

Going to keep my HD5850 for the time being. But I'm looking forward to the boost in performance. Just in time for Diablo 3. And I have the Witcher 2 to play through as well.
Nice choice on the RAM. That stuff is stupid amazing.
Nah, water isn't the natural next step - I really dislike the look of water setups for some reason, while the temp benefits are great the look is awful. Looks like a toilet.

Did help a friend out with a water setup and it was fun to work with but I just don't feel the looks.
It's cause you haven't seen it done right.

The thing I used to not like about it was that the design of the plastic case around videocards have a really nice look. Stripping them to the bare PCB seemed to make them ugly. Between EK full cover blocks and the backplates, I think they look much better though. The 580 Hydro Coppers and Classified Hydro Coppers are still one of my most favorite in terms of aesthetics.

Sethos

Banned
Nice choice on the RAM. That stuff is stupid amazing.

It's cause you haven't seen it done right.

The thing I used to not like about it was that the design of the plastic case around videocards have a really nice look. Stripping them to the bare PCB seemed to make them ugly. Between EK full cover blocks and the backplates, I think they look much better though. The 580 Hydro Coppers and Classified Hydro Coppers are still one of my most favorite in terms of aesthetics.

Yeah but what's the point, you never see those kind of builds let alone something you do yourself. Then it's just a pipedream and has no bearing and the thousands of water users out there, constantly going "OMG U NEED TO GO WATER" when their setup looks like a drunk plumber drove through their case. Then again, the pumps already ruin the looks of the overall build in that link.

I'm more of a sucker for a nice fan based builds, they really hit my nerdy bone.

Karmum

Banned
You certain you have SLI enabled?

*edit*

If you want to be certain, do a run in 3DMark11 and compare it to someone in the Race your PC thread.

*edit 2*

And make sure your drivers are up to date, and that you have a profile for your game of choice.
Yep. BF3 ran fine until I decided to crank up the settings, booted me to the desktop (didn't really try to open it back up) and just ended it through Task Manager. Then ran 3DMark11 and it froze.

Looking good so far. I'm going to update to 301.24 from 296.10 and underclock it some more and see if it does anything.

Edit - Ugh, get through two of them (not sure how many there are) and it stops and this comes up:

Workload Single init returned error message: DXGI call IDXGISwapChain::SetFullscreenState failed:

The requested functionality is not supported by the device or the driver.

DXGI_ERROR_NOT_CURRENTLY_AVAILABLE

I have pretty much everything closed. Steam, Skype, iTunes, etc.

I ran all over town today looking for monitors with glossy screens, I couldn't even find one. I've been out of the loop for a few years now but I recall going to bestbuy/futureshop and casually seeing them in the aisles but I guess they are phased out. Its so odd to me because they look so much better, at least in the stores.

So I guess I have to get a matte finish monitor. What do you guys think of this 27" Benq GL2750HM? Pretty cheap for the size, but the specs fall in line with the budget stuff you guys recommended to me, only problem is this model is a bit older now I think. Can't find a lick of reviews for it. Nothing really looked good in the store because of the shitty setups, that includes the Asus 24" stuff, the best looking one was an Acer :\

MrBig

I ran all over town today looking for monitors with glossy screens, I couldn't even find one. I've been out of the loop for a few years now but I recall going to bestbuy/futureshop and casually seeing them in the aisles but I guess they are phased out. Its so odd to me because they look so much better, at least in the stores.

So I guess I have to get a matte finish monitor. What do you guys think of this 27" Benq GL2750HM? Pretty cheap for the size, but the specs fall in line with the budget stuff you guys recommended to me, only problem is this model is a bit older now I think. Can't find a lick of reviews for it. Nothing really looked good in the store because of the shitty setups, that includes the Asus 24" stuff, the best looking one was an Acer :\

The dot pitch on a 1920x1080 at 27" is going to be huge, I'd stay away from that and rather go with 2 smaller screens.

1-D_FTW

Yeah, the Asus is pretty terrible out of the box. With custom settings, you can get it looking fantastic, but it's pretty nuts they don't have a 6500k setting on it.

The 360 controller is basically as much a standard for PC as it is for 360. It's the only controller for PC.

Considering that most people here who are coming to PC gaming don't have already own a way to hook up a 360 controller to their PCs, but many of them do have Dualshock 3/Sixaxii it's worth nothing that the latter works quite well with the motioninjoy drivers.

Karmum

Banned
Decided to unplug the card and just run my first GTX 460 through 3DMark11, which it didn't make through due to a benchmark error but nearly made it to the end and was on the last test. Close enough. I'll try it again with both.

Out of curiosity, do they both have to have the same exact Core/Shader/Memory Clock?

mkenyon

Banned
Decided to unplug the card and just run my first GTX 460 through 3DMark11, which it didn't make through due to a benchmark error but nearly made it to the end and was on the last test. Close enough. I'll try it again with both.

Out of curiosity, do they both have to have the same exact Core/Shader/Memory Clock?
They generally automatically scale to the lowest, but yes. You try running it in windowed mode?

Karmum

Banned
They generally automatically scale to the lowest, but yes. You try running it in windowed mode?
I did with just my first one, about to do it with both. I had checked off synchronizing them both to match originally, but I'll check it back on and just lower the settings.

Just want to get it to work, let alone at 800/1600/2000.

Edit - Well, it made it through. Not sure why it went through the first two tests and took forever going through them (maybe like a minute each) and then booted back up the first test and went through that and the rest in ~25 seconds. Maybe I didn't have them synched when I was playing BF3, maybe when they were synched (I think) in Skyrim this second one might not be able to OC as well as my first one.

Might have to boot both up to make sure they're good.

Karmum

Banned
Ran it again to make sure it wasn't a fluke, this time in a full window. Got a 7134, not aware of how well that's supposed to be, but I know 1 GTX 460 is around like 4k, so at the moment it works for me. I'll start OC'ing it up slowly. Hope I'm good to go.

Thanks for helping me out throughout the way, mkenyon.

The dot pitch on a 1920x1080 at 27" is going to be huge, I'd stay away from that and rather go with 2 smaller screens.

For what its worth, the Benq model I listed has a 0.276mm pixel pitch, same as the 24" ASUS (btw I found out how to pronounce Asus today...yeah I'm not saying that).

Karmum

Banned
The more I think about it, is it possible that BF3 (for instance) brings me back to the desktop and black screens because of temps? Probably need to crank up the fan speed from 40 percent to higher when I'm playing at Ultra in BF3.

ZJ1UL.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The more I think about it, is it possible that BF3 (for instance) brings me back to the desktop and black screens because of temps? Probably need to crank up the fan speed from 40 percent to higher when I'm playing at Ultra in BF3.
Unlikely, 80C is quite fine.

Fan speeds of 60% would be better for load though.

Any thoughts on a good monitor about 21 inches? 23 at biggest (never was a huge fan of giant pc monitors). I havea 26" tv, but it's only 720P and my new PC will be capable of 1080p for most games and I'd like to give it a go if it's not super expensive.

Karmum

Banned
Unlikely, 80C is quite fine.

Fan speeds of 60% would be better for load though.
Gotcha. It seems like as of right now I can't sync both to 850/1700/20xx because of the second card, at least not in BF3 anyway. Still seeing a decent boost, which is good enough for me.

theRizzle

I am really torn between getting a 2700k or waiting for the 3770k. I am not going to be building for about another 6 weeks, so I can definitely wait for the 3770k's to be in-stock, but all these heat issues have me a little wary.

If I pick up a Z77 mobo and throw a 2700k in it, will I be missing out on any features? I am under the impression that the native USB 3.0 support is a Z77 feature, not an Ivy feature. Is that correct?

I am only considering a 2700k because I can get one from NCIX for 299.99 right now, and the 2600k is still about $350. I am planning on doing some OC'ing and have a pretty good air setup, if that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom