• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Flipped on Afghanistan Strategy after seeing Afghan Women in Miniskirts

gaz5jUU.jpg

McMaster: "Mr. president if you build the wall and cancel NAFTA the US supply of taco salads will run out within a day"

Trump: "I've changed my mind!"

RDreamer

If true, Trump absolutely deserves ribbing, but those photos of 1970s Iran and Afghanistan are always pretty sobering. Progress can regress really, really fast if you aren't careful (and as Americans are finding out as well.)

Yeah definitely. You watch shit like Handmaid's Tale and it feels really farfetched but then you look at some countries and places like this that have slipped so ridiculously quickly and it's scary.

Window

Trump is terrible (as he's proven again and again) but I'm not sure what angle they're going at with this story (or headline)?

"Donald, look at this! You used to be able to on them like a bitch! Now you can't, Sad. If we bomb them enough we can get them to wear skirts again!"

Alucrid

Banned
Trump is terrible (as he's proven again and again) but I'm not sure what angle they're going at with this story (or headline)?

trump knows nothing, reads nothing, listens to nothing, but pictures make him clap and get his attention

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

I mean the POTUS changing his mind on something of this magnitude after seeing a pic of what women were wearing then vs now is pretty headline worthy.

McMaster has pretty much figured out how to manipulate Trump as he pleases, just play to his inner pig.

Shadybiz

Well one thing it shows is that the President of the United States doesn't know the history of the country that he is tasked with deciding strategy for. Normally I would find it incredible that a president would not know this information, but in this timeline, it's just another day.

Photos of Afghanistan and Iran through the 1960s through 1970s are some of the most heartbreaking things to me. Beautiful progression brought down by religious zealots and literally regressed into medieval societies.

McMaster reportedly showed Trump a black-and-white snapshot of bare-legged women in Kabul to illustrate that the region might be able to embrace Western ideals again

That ship has sailed a long time ago and increased military involvement won't bring it back.

Wahhabism was a mistake.

Oersted

Poor Onion writers.

The Onion, post if you are ok.

I swear to God the Onion writers don't get paid enough to have to work around this stuff.

“Let me be perfectly clear: America will not rest until our enemies have been defeated and the Afghan people are free, unless I start to get frustrated by all this, come across some other thing that seems like a bigger deal, or see a segment on TV that says we should do something else,” said the president, who called for the deployment of thousands more troops to pursue the Taliban until they were completely eradicated or until he lost interest in the situation. “Anyone who stands in the way of freedom shall know that the United States will never surrender and will never back down in the face of evil, except maybe after a couple of months pass and I just don’t want to deal with it any longer or some completely unrelated idea crosses my mind and I start running with that instead. Nothing, aside from maybe a personal feud with a media personality that occupies all my time and energy, will defeat our resolve.” A solemn Trump went on to assure viewers that sending America’s sons and daughters to the front lines of a deadly overseas conflict was the hardest thing a president had to do after having to memorize a lot of things and sometimes sit through hours of briefings without eating.

http://www.theonion.com/article/trump-we-will-fight-afghanistan-until-victorious-o-56719

MC Safety

People want to believe the Aghanistan briefing consisted of someone showing Trump a picture and it convinced him to alter his basic strategy.

To be fair, you really have to acknowledge there was a real briefing, and probably multiple high-ranking military officials gave presentations. There may have been questions and answers and a series of recommendations, etc.

This is not a defense of our president but rather an indictment of how far people are willing to go to highlight any sliver of information that paints the administration in a bad light,

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
That ship has sailed a long time ago and increased military involvement won't bring it back.

Wahhabism was a mistake.

Yeah that's the problem, no amount of U.S. or European intervention is going to change anything because Islam has been hijacked by hardliners in most of these nations where Islam and the government is one and the same. The spread of wahhabism and the complete intertwining of mosque and state means moderate and liberal Islam never gets a voice strong enough to make a difference in most nations.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
A half arsed war is not gonna suddenly make this society magically embrace western ideals. If anything it will make them more fearful and hateful.

Also, I might be somewhat mistaken here, but wasn't it the soviet union that tried to empower the women in the afghan society during the 70s-80s? And they achieved this minor moment of enlightenment through education, not war.

So it's kinda silly to imply that US military force can ever revive that.

gtvdave

Trump needs to decide.

Afghani women with skirts that he can touch you know where
Or billions of weapons sold to keep a few influential folks happy.

Never ending profitable war or ***** grabbing.

It is a tough one.

Apt101

"We're pulling out of Afghanistan"

"Sir, take a look at these post war pictures of Afghan people and culture...."

"Muslims"

"Sir, their women were hot"

"OK let's do a troop surge"

gcubed

If true, Trump absolutely deserves ribbing, but those photos of 1970s Iran and Afghanistan are always pretty sobering. Progress can regress really, really fast if you aren't careful (and as Americans are finding out as well.)

Some are I guess, but we have a thread dedicated to idiocy around the true progress is through regression.

Condom

*shows picture of communist Afghanistan*

"Yeah they embraced western values"

Piss off.

Now this pic is from before that afaik, I have to be accurate but acting like 'they embraced OUR values!' has a disgusting undertone.

I'm not sure if you can really, at the same time, look at those photos from Afghanistan, Iran etc and say "What a shame, it used to be so much more free" (as everyone here does) and say "ha ha ha, Trump's an idiot for letting this be a compelling argument!" (ad everyone here is). It is a compelling argument - a demonstration that there was a time when this place embraced western values and aesthetics and it could do again. That's not enough on its own, but there's hardly evidence that this was literally the only thing.

Edit:

*shows picture of communist Afghanistan*

"Yeah they embraced western values"

Piss off.

Now this pic is from before that afaik, I have to be accurate but acting like 'they embraced OUR values!' has a disgusting undertone.

Sorry, communist?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Photos of Afghanistan and Iran through the 1960s through 1970s are some of the most heartbreaking things to me. Beautiful progression brought down by religious zealots and literally regressed into medieval societies.

The US fucked around in both those countries prior to the religious zealots taking over. In fact in one (Afghanistan) they helped arm and fund some of these zealots.

I'm not sure if you can really, at the same time, look at those photos from Afghanistan, Iran etc and say "What a shame, it used to be so much more free" (as everyone here does) and say "ha ha ha, Trump's an idiot for letting this be a compelling argument!" (ad everyone here is). It is a compelling argument - a demonstration that there was a time when this place embraced western values and aesthetics and it could do again. That's not enough on its own, but there's hardly evidence that this was literally the only thing.

Edit:

Sorry, communist?

We know it wasn't but it is still good to laugh at him, because he is capable of it.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Seeing how far the middle east has regressed is depressing. All because of oil greed and a book of fairy tales (To be clear I view the bible the same way).

Sending more troops is moronic though. The followers of Islam want to rule themselves, back out and let them try to survive on their own. The future of American Foreign policy should be anything but nation building.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Hasn't the same tactic been used on us in meme videos on Facebook?

I'm not sure trump is the only dope in America to fall for it.

That he is in charge of a military hasn't gone unnoticed obviously, but it's not like we weren't already concerned about that power

MUnited83

For you.
People want to believe the Aghanistan briefing consisted of someone showing Trump a picture and it convinced him to alter his basic strategy.

To be fair, you really have to acknowledge there was a real briefing, and probably multiple high-ranking military officials gave presentations. There may have been questions and answers and a series of recommendations, etc.

This is not a defense of our president but rather an indictment of how far people are willing to go to highlight any sliver of information that paints the administration in a bad light,
Using pictures and video is literally the only way people can get to have him pay attention to briefings ( http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...-top-secret-intelligence-briefings-big-617515
)

Top Bottom