• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Flipped on Afghanistan Strategy after seeing Afghan Women in Miniskirts

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/hr-mccaster-donald-trump-afghanistan_us_599c6105e4b06a788a2c2026

President Donald Trump was reluctant to send more troops to Afghanistan after years of saying the war was ”wasting our money." So national security adviser H.R. McMaster used a 1972 photo of Afghan women in miniskirts to show the president that the country had once adopted Western values and to convince him to escalate the war, according to The Washington Post.

McMaster reportedly showed Trump a black-and-white snapshot of bare-legged women in Kabul to illustrate that the region might be able to embrace Western ideals again. Miniskirts were replaced by full-body burqas in the mid-1990s, when the Taliban took over Afghanistan, banned Western clothing and rolled back women's rights. The Taliban now controls only parts of the country, but many Afghan women still choose to wear traditional burqas because it makes them feel safer from violence and judgment in a society where gender-based violence is rampant.

Jamil Smith‏Verified account @JamilSmith

Afghani women in miniskirts isn't alarming. They should be free to dress as they wish. It's that McMaster knew that tactic would sway Trump.

It's quite reassuring to know that the foreign policy of the most powerful nation on earth is decided by whether women can wear miniskirts or not :/

Edit:

The game changing pic in question(from the article):

599c68d51e00002700c5ed04.jpeg

Fuchsdh

If true, Trump absolutely deserves ribbing, but those photos of 1970s Iran and Afghanistan are always pretty sobering. Progress can regress really, really fast if you aren't careful (and as Americans are finding out as well.)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Geez. Getting him to launch a nuke wouldn't be too hard.

Advisor: "See this shiny red button?"
Trump: "Yeah, it is the nuke button, what about it?"
Advisor: "Well, did you know it also brings you two scoops every time you push it?
Trump: *pushes button*

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol anyone who thinks Mini skirts will become the norm again in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran and middle eastern countries is out of their minds. the 70s and 80s were a different time.

*TO BE FAIR*

If I was an idiot and thought there was any chance of undoing the insane regression in that area, I'd probably authorize it. Though I'd wager there are things other than miniskirt photos that could demonstrate that.

Bronx-Man

Banned
"We were gonna leave them alone, but when I saw how many dimes they had over there.....I realized the entire region was up for grabbing"

I've seen similar pictures, and they do actually serve to demonstrate the difference between then and now. Just too bad that that's what people have to sink to to convince this jackass.

Fury451

Banned
I'm inclined to think this is a "something out of nothing" situation that's being made to sound slimier than it is. Showing how things have regressed is a great way to educate people, and it's a huge wake up call to me to actually see it myself.

Then again, we know what the president has said in the past, so it's always going to be slimy regardless and I'm not going to waste time defending otherwise either.

NimbusD

I'm inclined to think this is a "something out of nothing" situation that's being made to sound slimy.

Then again, we know what the president has said in the past, so it's always going to be slimy regardless.
Yeah, in a vacuum I don't think it's not Noble to want to impart freedoms to women is an oppressive society, but this is easy to imagine as true because the dudes a pig.

Also as Noble as it is, this doesn't mean we should got to (continue) war. How is that exactly going to help? Are we going to annex them under our government? It's the Taliban govt that did it in the first place you can't just undo it by killing them.

It was a matter of time before the military convinced Trump to do what they wanted. Of course the military wants to ramp up operations there, they feel it's their duty to make sure that their efforts there are not in vain. Trump didn't stand a chance.

Sulik2

Trying to win a war in afghanistan is insane hubris. You cannot win a war in a country with the mountains and caves they have. The Soviets learned that and the US is learning it too. Being able to manipulate the president into escalating an unwinnable war with a picture is just pitiful.

Top Bottom