• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 8-14 | Cena-Factor validated, WWEsports remain stAGEd

vocab

Didn't AE PC require an internet connection until people bitched?

There was something stupid like not having access to characters. I think it was a piracy prevention scheme that they tried to carry over to legitimate customers. Of course it didn't work, because people don't like that shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So I clicked this thread about GI.biz's defense of always online, and got smacked in the face by this gem from Sven.
Every publisher wants this, it's only really indies who are fighting this because they're not really in a position to impose DRM that their core audience, enthusiasts, will dislike and result in no sales instead of a few sales. This is why so many big publishers are in bed with MS right now, and even those working on PS4 are releasing titles that require online at all times. It's a pretty big possibility that just because MS makes stuff always online, publishers make their titles on the PS4 always online at the same time too. Everyone loses if MS does this, regardless if you pick the console that doesn't have an always-online requirement at the hardware level.

Destiny/Watch_Dogs already have this, and it's looking like Assassin's Creed may follow suit.

There was something stupid like not having access to characters. I think it was a piracy prevention scheme that they tried to carry over to legitimate customers. Of course it didn't work, because people don't like that shit.

IIRC, the GFWL Restrictions were
-15/39 characters available
-No save capabilities
-No DLC access

Correct, Sony clearly said they would do the right thing. Everybody else making their shit always online achieves the same thing as Microsoft.

But as usual it'll either mess up or get hacked or whatever (you can bet an always online xbox will be a huge target) and they'll roll it all back to whatever level they think they can get away with.

Meanwhile if this creates a huge problem for fighting games? Somebody will step up to make and sell an offline one. If people just adjust anyway as is almost certain? World keeps spinning.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Correct, Sony clearly said they would do the right thing. Everybody else making their shit always online achieves the same thing as Microsoft.

But as usual it'll either mess up or get hacked or whatever (you can bet an always online xbox will be a huge target) and they'll roll it all back to whatever level they think they can get away with.

Meanwhile if this creates a huge problem for fighting games? Somebody will step up to make and sell an offline one. If people just adjust anyway as is almost certain? World keeps spinning.
Shit is fucked up all around. Sony will likely put game unlock codes in all of their retail titles too, as an extension of the online pass system they're making mandatory for their games. Without it, you'll be reduced to a demo. I'm sure MS will do this, not sure about Sony, but I'm not willing to let all the good PS4 news sway me away from the idea that they have their own DRM up their sleeves and have done a 180 in that regard.

Scary times ahead. tl;dr: fuck you Diablo III.

Also it doesn't matter if someone steps up and makes an offline game if it's not one somebody wants to play. Diablo III and SimCity prove that gamers will put up with any shit and buy what they want to play, and is more evidence that people complaining on NeoGAF really are the minority. If SFV is always-online and the competition isn't, people will still play it more than the competition.

Shit is fucked up all around. Sony will likely put game unlock codes in all of their retail titles too, as an extension of the online pass system they're making mandatory for their games. Without it, you'll be reduced to a demo. I'm sure MS will do this, not sure about Sony, but I'm not willing to let all the good PS4 news sway me away from the idea that they have their own DRM up their sleeves and have done a 180 in that regard.

I regret buying Diablo III. :(

Didn't AE PC require an internet connection until people bitched?

They locked out most of the characters. I think only 10 or so were selectable. I remember when my internet was down and I couldn't even use Evil Ryu in training mode, I was pretty pissed about it. Capcom quickly recognized how big of a issue this was and removed it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't think it was posted here, but Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist Kickstarter has gone up.

Thread here.

Echoing my thoughts in the thread, this is pretty much the best chance SF ever has at creating something good that's live action and not the old JCVD film. These seem like the guys for the job but it seems like they have to raise a LOT of money to get this thing done, but it looks like the production values will be pretty good for that amount of money.

I thought it was supposed to be originally entirely funded by Capcom but it looks like they funded only part of it and this is the Kickstarted to finish up production.

I don't think it was posted here, but Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist Kicksterter has gone up.

Thread here.

Echoing my thoughts in the thread, this is pretty much the best chance SF ever has at creating something good that's live action and not the old JCVD film. These seem like the guys for the job but it seems like they have to raise a LOT of money to get this thing done, but it looks like the production values will be pretty good for that amount of money.

I thought it was supposed to be originally entirely funded by Capcom but it looks like they funded only part of it and this is the Kickstarted to finish up production.

After seeing how awesome that Live action Mortal Kombat youtube series is, I'm sure they can make a good Street Fighter one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Street Fighter movie? Why would I want to watch that?
It's not a movie, it's a miniseries.

Also I don't get how it looks like shit. The hadoukens don't look perfect but it seems like they're already taking the #1 complaint of legacy into account, which is Ryu's actor. Ken's was fine and it looks like he will be returning.

Dahbomb

What did we learn about making conjectures and statements about next gen without mental clarity? This is why you are a console neophyte.

There is no proof about Sony going this always online requirement on games or requiring some expanded online pass non sense. Yes there will be an option for publishers to make online only games YET there will be games that will have an offline version.

You mention Diablo 3 but that game would've sold 10 million even if it had come in a broken disc. Now Blizzard has learned their lesson and have put in an offline mode plus no RMAH on the PS4 version. So obviously there is no requirement.

sleepykyo

Sorry. I thought console shit was supposed to carried over to pc shit, I didn't think it would work both ways. I guess I should have seen it coming when one of the great advancements this generation was being able to patch games which turned into shipping broken games and maybe patching them later if the game sold well.

DRE Fei

imagine if the next street fighter had always online drm but capcom sold offline mode for 10 bucks.

Only $10? That's a great deal if you ask me. Maximum CPM CPM CPM CPM welcome to april duels CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM hey it's the cameraman here CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM CPM

It's not a movie, it's a miniseries.

Also I don't get how it looks like shit. The hadoukens don't look perfect but it seems like they're already taking the #1 complaint of legacy into account, which is Ryu's actor. Ken's was fine and it looks like he will be returning.

Eh, I don't understand the appeal of the Street Fighter movie. Its the way people play the game that interest me more than the origins or El Fuerte or Ryu.

Give me a new Blood Sport type movie then I will be hype. There is too much baggage attached to the Street Fighter lore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What did we learn about making conjectures and statements about next gen without mental clarity? This is why you are a console neophyte.

There is no proof about Sony going this always online requirement on games or requiring some expanded online pass non sense. Yes there will be an option for publishers to make online only games YET there will be games that will have an offline version.

You mention Diablo 3 but that game would've sold 10 million even if it had come in a broken disc. Now Blizzard has learned their lesson and have put in an offline mode plus no RMAH on the PS4 version. So obviously there is no requirement.
What lack of mental clarity? What are you on about? I never suggested there is proof, only that Sony is not beyond DRM or controlling the used market in their own right. Which is supported by the online pass requirement which they have said will be on every first party title going forward. That's not indicative of them doing it next gen, but it is support for the idea that Sony is not beyond that sort of DRM and can still reap the same rewards MS is reaping.

I've always said, if MS is doing always-online, Sony can and should too, it makes too much sense and money to not do it. They reap all the same rewards as MS and destroy the used game industry at the same time, as gamers are left with no next gen alternatives. And so what if some games have offline options? That's great, but that doesn't have anything to do with publishers making it standard across their multiplatform titles.

And you don't understand the impact Diablo III had at all. Yes it would've sold as much always online or not, but that's exactly the point I'm making. It really doesn't matter, they can put always-online in their titles and they'll still sell. It's a plus for publishers who can eliminate used games, piracy and hacking and STILL make the same amount of sales. People complaining about always-online are the minority until services suffer issues like with SimCity and Diablo III. And guess what, at the end of the day, folks keep playing and nothing changes.

What lack of mental clarity? What are you on about? I never suggested there is proof, only that Sony is not beyond DRM or controlling the used market in their own right. Which is supported by the online pass requirement which they have said will be on every first party title going forward. That's not indicative of them doing it next gen, but it is support for the idea that Sony is not beyond that sort of DRM and can still reap the same rewards MS is reaping.

I've always said, if MS is doing always-online, Sony can and should too, it makes too much sense and money to not do it. They reap all the same rewards as MS and destroy the used game industry at the same time, as gamers are left with no next gen alternatives. And so what if some games have offline options? That's great, but that doesn't have anything to do with publishers making it standard across their multiplatform titles.

And you don't understand the impact Diablo III had at all. Yes it would've sold as much always online or not, but that's exactly the point I'm making. It really doesn't matter, they can put always-online in their titles and they'll still sell. It's a plus for publishers who can eliminate used games, piracy and hacking and STILL make the same amount of sales. People complaining about always-online are the minority until services suffer issues like with SimCity and Diablo III. And guess what, at the end of the day, folks keep playing and nothing changes.
Enzo, I've been reading your stuff in various threads, and it seems pretty clear that you're angry/defensive about the bad news coming out about Microsoft's next system, and you've been projecting a lot of hope that Sony will fuck up too.

Eh, I don't understand the appeal of the Street Fighter movie. Its the way people play the game that interest me more than the origins or El Fuerte or Ryu.

Give me a new Blood Sport type movie then I will be hype. There is too much baggage attached to the Street Fighter lore.

Same here, I'm as big of a SF fan as they come and also one of those dudes that shuts off the stream when MK is on. But it's the complete opposite when it comes to their screen versions. I loved the original MK movie, I even loved the TV series. The web series has been pretty entertaining as well. As for SF, both live action movies sucked, SF V sucked, SF Alpha sucked, SF Alpha Generations sucked, and yes the American cartoon sucked as well. The lone good SF anything was original anime movie, that shit was hot.

Sfxt PC isn't patched yet right unless you did it manually? Any update on when that is coming on steam?

Mk tv show was amazing.

Dahbomb

Enzo, I've been reading your stuff in various threads, and it seems pretty clear that you're angry/defensive about the bad news coming out about Microsoft's next system, and you've been projecting a lot of hope that Sony will fuck up too.
This is EXACTLY what I meant with lack of mental clarity. You are projecting the bad news of Microsoft and expecting the absolute worst from Sony as well.

Just the fact that Diablo 3, a fully online game on the PC is going to have an offline mode on the PS4 is great news for other games especially fighting games.

You are also underestimating the impact online DRMs will have on future games. If you think Diablo 4 will see 10 million again you got another thing coming.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't hope Sony will fuck it up, why would anyone want that? To quote myself from another thread, it's hard not to be excited about the PS4 right now. It's literally everything a gamer would want right now.

I think at some point you have to discern discussion about what's going on from a business point of view and a gamers point of view. I'm discussing the ramifications from a business perspective. And I don't know how you'd even get that impression since I've gone in on Microsoft/always-online enough times too, even in FG threads. As a gamer, it's hard not to be afraid of what MS is planning, even beyond always-online and looking towards XTV/NUI. I really don't see how folks would get that impression if you've been following all of my posts since the first Orbis/Durango leaks started coming out.

Shouta

Winnings from the Revelations tournament (if I remember correctly) that weren't given to them.

He's the guy who ran Revelations. Funny how the Japanese got paid in 2011, but Americans got screwed last year.

Ah, that explains it, then. Slimy TO.

https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/321762452700270592

Scroll up and read from top to bottom if you're not a twitter monster.

That works too.

Was UltraDavid's fireball pattern analysis insightful?

He brings up a really good point about them actually. The video was being wonky but you can definitely catch certain patterns in Chris G's fireball spam. It makes sense why he can shut guys down when he's warmed up and why he gets blown up otherwise.

Top Bottom