• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Klepek: Don't Reward Nintendo For This SNES Classic Pre-Order Bullshit

Waypoint link.

Trying to buy an NES Classic last year was a nightmare, something that even Nintendo seemed to realize when it announced the SNES classic earlier this year, eventually releasing a statement that, in corporate speak, was the closest you're going to get to a genuine apology for all the time and effort people wasted just to buy a piece of nostalgia. But if the last 24 hours are any indication, Nintendo's learned absolutely nothing from the experience.

The first wave of pre-orders at both Amazon and Best Buy went up overnight—while I was sleeping. The Target and Wal-Mart pre-orders went up this afternoon—while I was waiting for a mechanic to finish administering an oil change to my car. I'm someone who spends way, way too much time on the Internet, and I somehow missed on every one of those pre-order slots. I didn't even get a crack at trying to buy one, I straight up missed it and they sold out.

On its own, a SNES Classic is only $80, but if I want to wander to ThinkGeek, I could pay as much as $250 for a crappy bundle. (Conspiracy theorists, GameStop owns ThinkGeek!!!!) ThinkGeek's not alone in exploiting bundles, but still.

This shouldn't be so hard to do. You ask retailers to flip on pre-orders at the same time, with a time and date announced in advance, so people have a reasonable expectation at being part of the lottery that is smashing reload on a web browser, in hopes they're one of the lucky ones. If it doesn't work out, at least you had a reasonable shot. You could feel like you tried, at least.

It's not a question of whether the SNES Classic will sell out and make a lot of money for Nintendo. That's a given. People will keep searching for one to buy. But it's frankly depressing to realize how many machines will be flipped onto eBay, lining the pockets of clever scalpers, rather than finding their way into the hands of the people who made Nintendo a household name in the first place.

I'm done. There will probably (probably?) be another wave of units available head of the SNES Classic launch next month, but what's the point? I want to play Star Fox 2 as much as the next person, but it's not worth all this. Given how many times we've all done this dance with Nintendo, it's easier to accept they've learned nothing—or, for crass and cynical reasons, continue to make their fans dance for financial amusement—and just move on.

It's on Nintendo to figure this out. The rest of us should stop playing along, and Nintendo should forfeit the right to complain about why people use emulators.

dont reward waypoint for this clickbait bullshit
blame retailers for holding preorders at random times or holding back stock for overpriced bundles

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
This may be a stupid question. But, given the demand, would it have been in Nintendo's interest to take pre-orders earlier and produced units based on that number? Instead of the other way around? Is that a thing in this world?

Yeah, not supporting this nonsense. Has been silly seeing games press on twitter brag about being able to buy a product

Glix

Yup. Could not agree more. Saw the thread here about preorders at brick and mortar gamestops...

Work two blocks away from a gamestop.

Decided... Fuck it. I'm not playing these games. Nintendo can go fuck themselves selling these "classics" in this manner.

I'll live without one, just like the NES classic, and I'll be just fucking fine.

blame retailers for holding preorders at random times or holding back stock for overpriced bundles

Do you really not hold Nintendo accountable at all? The things that you said about the retailers are true as well, but if Nintendo would actually produce the things in numbers that make sense then the retailers wouldn't be able to do these things so easily.

Shiggy

This may be a stupid question. But, given the demand, would it have been in Nintendo's interest to take pre-orders earlier and produced units based on that number? Instead of the other way around? Is that a thing in this world?

Wouldn't have happened with this item. Didn't happen with the NES Mini either.

Experien

So he is upset that he wasn't able to pre-order it? And his answer to all the problems is give a date (to him) so that it can be pre-ordered (by him)?

Feel there is a lot off about that. Not to mention I think that would crash websites. It isn't intended to be a widely available product.

I'm still going to get it, though it's upsetting that BB and Amazon put preorders up at 2-4am.
It's not out for over a month and they're supposed to be shipping a lot more SNES Classics than NES Classics so I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find...right?

Lothars

Nintendo deserves all the criticism in the world for their handling of the NES Classic and The SNES Classic.

They are not innocent and should be called out at any opportunity because it's a common thing for them to not have enough stock and screw over their customers constantly.

DryvBy

Nintendo is one of the most unfriendly gaming companies to their fans. The do this crap on purpose to force scalpers to buy them all up.

klepek dot vice dot com

Yeah this shouldn't even need to be said, I think people secretly enjoy the masochistic thrill of it all at this point. Don't buy that thing. If you're that high on SNES nostalgia, buy one off ebay or some shit. Or just get SMW on 3DS.

molnizzle

This is 100% on Nintendo for not making enough units available.

They knew this shit was gonna be popular. They can't act all surprised this time. They're doing this shit on purpose because it generates buzz and increases their bottom line.

Fuck Nintendo.

AaronMT86

So he is upset that he wasn't able to pre-order it? And his answer to all the problems is give a date (to him) so that it can be pre-ordered (by him)?

Feel there is a lot off about that. Not to mention I think that would crash websites. It isn't intended to be a widely available product.

If I can't just walk into a store and buy an SNES Classic I simply won't be buying one. Nintendo clearly doesn't care enough, why should I?

Nintendo's providing them stock. They can easily ask for pre-orders to be organized, rather than pop up at complete random. They can also say no to the exploitative bundles that GameStop is hustling.

They didn't.
We're here.
Nintendo deserves the blame.

Don't get mad at a journalist for telling you the truth.

Shoyz

I'm still going to get it, though it's upsetting that BB and Amazon put preorders up at 2-4am.
It's not out for over a month and they're supposed to be shipping a lot more SNES Classics than NES Classics so I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find...right?

Just past 1 at bestbuy, for Eastern US, to be fair.

Him knowing that preorders were going up, not sure why he went on blackout at a mechanic today.

rabathehutch

Neo Member
This is an unusually emotionally charged article by Patrick but I completely agree with him. Nintendo even promised that it would be better this time compared to the NES Classic but it's clearly not the case.

On its own, a SNES Classic is only $80, but if I want to wander to ThinkGeek, I could pay as much as $250 for a crappy bundle. (Conspiracy theorists, GameStop owns ThinkGeek!!!!) ThinkGeek's not alone in exploiting bundles, but still.
IMO this is the really disgusting thing done today, nothing but predatory sales tactics by ThinkGeek/GameStop to clear inventory, ultimately I don't think there is anything that can be done but I really hope Nintendo punishes them somehow.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Curious to understand the financial amusement he is talking about
I can understand if people get tired of trying to pre order something but still, if they are interest and get a pre order it's not that Ni tends get more money than the SRP suggested
If scalpers sell for higher prices those moneys don't go to Nintendo

Basically

You can follow OP/article suggestions but at the end of the day the only one not satisfied will be a consumer interested that forces himself to not pursue the purchase

Or the scalpers not able to resell

But not Ni tendo that will sell the production units planned anyway

Catvoca

Banned
Agree with Klepek here. If I could just go into a store and buy one I'd probably get it but I'm not going through a whole song and dance to get an expansive nostalgia product.

I'd rather they just put VC on the Switch tbqh.

Kyuur

Wouldn't scalping prevention fall to the retailer? Nintendo doesn't sell these things direct.

Unless the complaint is "they should have made more" which is.. a nonsense complaint. If their supply chain could have more ready for launch they would (and they'd still probably be sold out).

People are gonna call him a whiny bitch but I'm with him. Kinda random seeing preorders popping up out of nowhere at 2 AM it's pretty bullshit, but lesson learned. Nintendo don't want this things publicly available, there are treasures now.

But the insane ammount of RAGE when this happens to the future N64 Mini it's gonna be a whole other level.

wrowa

Do retailers really want to have clearly communicated pre-order times like that, though? If I sell out in seconds when I put up my stock at random times, why would I want to communicate pre-order date and time in advance, when such a thing would likely only lead to trouble on my end? (As in, even more people killing my servers, leading my system to act up, etc etc).

Putting up pre-orders overnight is a dick move to your customers, but at the same time I imagine that managing it this way would lead to the least amount of trouble for my day to day business.

if you never meet demand you never pay for the unsold products you manufacture.

plus it creates that ravenous, artificial demand.

Boke1879

Nah you blame Nintendo for this. Sure you can upset that amazon and Best Buy went up overnight, but if Nintendo made enough to actually satisfy demand. This wouldn't be an issue.

Kaizer

Banned

How is it clickbait & how is it really retailers fault that bots snatch things up immediately as soon as they go up? As much as I wanted a SNES Classic today, I still understand why some retailers chose to release their SNES allotment when they did.

The real fault lies with Nintendo for just not making enough of these things for no real reason other then artificial scarcity. If Nintendo decided to restock the NES Classic in-stores world & nationwide, it'd sell like hotcakes, but for whatever reason they keep doing this limited quantity bullshit.

Lum1n3s

No one wins in these situations, like I can understand pre-orders at the butt crack of dawn or late at night necessitating hate but people are salty because they went up at like 2-3pm? This guy is made because he couldn't get to a GS due to him having to get an oil change (which I'm sure is more important than this system.) I don't get it lol

lt519

There is just so much salt over this it's getting ridiculous. I didn't get one either, grow up and stop running around crying because you didn't get something you want.

akileese

This isn't an either/or scenario though. Nintendo allows retailers to fly by their asses so we get stuff like preorders going live at 4 in the morning and Gamestop bundling the system with like, a fucking 1997 Toyota Camry.

If Nintendo was actually an organized machine with regards to how this stuff is handled you wouldn't be having these problems.

Like, you don't see Scorpio Edition XOX's being bundled with halo merch on thinkgeek do you? My guess is Microsoft and Sony nix them from doing that sort of stuff.

Banned
I expect this kind of petty whining from a twitter fanboy edge lord not a professional games writer. Whew.

Fox Mulder

The NES classic broke me. I had jumped through hoops for their shit for years and got hooked on amiibos like crack.

Nintendo's no stock scalper bullshit replaced decades of joy and nostalgia with hatred. I just let it all go and wondered why I even still cared about them.

I'll spend my money elsewhere.

molnizzle

I see the Nintendo defense force is here in full force. Expected, I guess.

No one wins in these situations, like I can understand pre-orders at the butt crack of dawn or late at night necessitating hate but people are salty because they went up at like 2-3pm? This guy is made because he couldn't get to a GS due to him having to get an oil change (which I'm sure is more important than this system.) I don't get it lol

He's mad they just showed up at random times with no warning.

All pre-orders should have opened at the same time, and this time should have been announced in advance. This is how every other hot value item works. When Apple announces the launch date of the next iPhone they will also announce the date you'll be able to pre-order it.

Top Bottom