• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Klepek: Don't Reward Nintendo For This SNES Classic Pre-Order Bullshit

Mechazawa

dont reward waypoint for this clickbait bullshit
blame retailers for holding preorders at random times or holding back stock for overpriced bundles

Those "preorders at random times" are the only reason a bunch of people were able to realistically get the damn things since there were at least a few minutes that you could grab one if you happened to be up late at night. The people that tried to get a SNES Classic at 12pm or whatever are the ones that actually got fucked over.

This is 100% on Nintendo for putting out such hilariously low stock.

snap

Banned
So he is upset that he wasn't able to pre-order it? And his answer to all the problems is give a date (to him) so that it can be pre-ordered (by him)?

Feel there is a lot off about that. Not to mention I think that would crash websites. It isn't intended to be a widely available product.

No, he's angry because instead of doing this like everybody else where preorders go live at a specific date and everybody is able to attempt to get one if they plan out ahead and then selling out when they run out of stock, or leaving the preorder option up and continuing to make more of the product based off of the demand instead of artificially limiting the supply, Nintendo continues to do it in such a way that favors scalpers the most.

tuxfool

Banned
R4ouCcM.png

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I assumed I wouldn't be able to get one and that turned out to be true. Another Nintendo product I will just pass on because they make them so hard to get. Nintendo never seems to want my money.

sirap

One of us! One of us!

Good luck Patrick. These aren't sonic fans you're gonna have to deal with. Nintendo stans are something else.

Experien

$250 for the fucking bundle? Holy shit.

(ThinkGeek I know, but still, what the fuck)

Either that was an old bundle or he is adding in shipping to exaggerating to go along with clickbait. I mean at that price, they do free shipping!

The most expensive one was $220 and it comes with a Mega Man helmet, megabuster, and pen and pins. They all came with various NES nostalgia junk but ranged from $140-210.

The $140 came with classic NES box posters, a puzzle, and a piranha plant puppet.

blakep267

Do retailers really want to have clearly communicated pre-order times like that, though? If I sell out in seconds when I put up my stock at random times, why would I want to communicate pre-order date and time in advance, when such a thing would likely only lead to trouble on my end? (As in, even more people killing my servers, leading my system to act up, etc etc).

Putting up pre-orders overnight is a dick move to your customers, but at the same time I imagine that managing it this way would lead to the least amount of trouble for my day to day business.
FOr the Xbox one X, we knew ahead of time that it was gonna go live after the show and most of the retailers went live around the same time(not instantaneous but not hours apart)

Don't worry guys, even if we missed the limited preorders I'm sure we can still relive these great classics on our new Nintendo portable console.

If it's a hassle it's not worth it and that's why I've never bothered with an amiibo and won't with this either. Nintendo will never not have something stupid to say or do.

I completely agree with Patrick here, but I hope he also recognizes that his peers in the press (because we already know he's not letting this slide) need to hold Nintendo accountable for this by holding their feet to the fire on their front pages and in interviews conducted with reps. There's not much we can do as consumers when quantities are limited enough that our wallets won't be heard because scalpers will buy leftover units anyways.

bachikarn

I'm still going to get it, though it's upsetting that BB and Amazon put preorders up at 2-4am.
It's not out for over a month and they're supposed to be shipping a lot more SNES Classics than NES Classics so I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find...right?

Is it better when they announce it for the middle of the day and it sells out in literally 20 seconds?

MikeRahl

It seems odd to blame the manufacturer in all of this... it's not like Nintendo can create infinite amounts of these consoles.

Who is even handling the pre-orders? Is it Nintendo giving retailers their initial allocations and then the retailers allocating so many of them (or all of them) to pre-orders?

No-one even knows how many consoles Nintendo is producing, or what their production limits are like. As far as we know Nintendo had their internal estimates and ratcheted them way up and are still behind. But this is an entirely new SKU with it's own production demands, you just don't go from 0-100 or re-allocate other resources magically.

I know the general attitude between this and the NES Classic is 'lol Nintendo' but some critical thinking would get you to the thoughts that if Nintendo had the means to sell you a console they would, and they aren't doing this out of spite.

$250 for the fucking bundle? Holy shit.

(ThinkGeek I know, but still, what the fuck)

It's actually incorrect in that, because the biggest bundle was 330 dollars. it came with 1 item, a 30x60 oil canvas of breath of the wild

Either that was an old bundle or he is adding in shipping to exaggerating to go along with clickbait. I mean at that price, they do free shipping!

The most expensive one was $220 and it comes with a Mega Man helmet, megabuster, and pen and pins. They all came with various NES nostalgia junk but ranged from $140-210.

The $140 came with classic NES box posters, a puzzle, and a piranha plant puppet.

see above

baphomet

blame retailers for holding preorders at random times or holding back stock for overpriced bundles

Random times is by far the most fair way to get them. At predetermined times bots come out the very clear winners.

I want these games on my Switch, I don't want to have to plug in another console
I am already too lazy to go for PS4 to Switch sometimes I need a TV with more HDMI lol

I'm still going to get it, though it's upsetting that BB and Amazon put preorders up at 2-4am.
It's not out for over a month and they're supposed to be shipping a lot more SNES Classics than NES Classics so I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find...right?

You would think that, but you also have to take into account that there have to be way, way more scalpers watching this thing than there were with the NES. Not only did the limited NES Classic supply indicate that the SNES would also be a rare item, but Nintendo themselves announced the SNES would be limited stock like the NES Classic.

Both of those things practically invited scalpers to pay attention to this item. There's no way Nintendo couldn't have anticipated that this would happen all over again. Even with an increased stock.

8byte

Banned

Nah, Nintendo is very VERY clearly under producing because they value having a hard to find product in the news all the way through holiday season than they do their consumers.

This is just them trying to ride the demand wave to get the Nintendo name on news networks, etc.

Fuck Nintendo.

finalflame

Gold Member
Honestly just seems like he's using his influence as a journalist at a major entertainment outlet to loudly cry about not being able to get the toy he wanted.

I get it, I felt this way about not getting BoTW Master Edition, but I stopped at posting about my disappointment in the GAF thread. I felt the same things: I'm on the internet a lot, I check GAF a lot, yet I somehow missed it and it bummed me out.

But going to this extreme to loudly complain just seems silly. Nintendo products are hard to pre-order. Sometimes they're under-manufactured. That's just life. Nintendo is getting rewarded only in as many units as they can sell, and nobody is entitled to a product a company sells. If their practices are bad, people will stop buying it, but they won't.

Nah, Nintendo is very VERY clearly under producing because they value having a hard to find product in the news all the way through holiday season than they do their consumers.

This is just them trying to ride the demand wave to get the Nintendo name on news networks, etc.

Fuck Nintendo.

So you don't get to give them money. Big whoop.

Hero

This isn't an either/or scenario though. Nintendo allows retailers to fly by their asses so we get stuff like preorders going live at 4 in the morning and Gamestop bundling the system with like, a fucking 1997 Toyota Camry.

If Nintendo was actually an organized machine with regards to how this stuff is handled you wouldn't be having these problems.

Like, you don't see Scorpio Edition XOX's being bundled with halo merch on thinkgeek do you? My guess is Microsoft and Sony nix them from doing that sort of stuff.

Supply and demand, how does it work?

You really think if GS could get away with bundling shit with any other system they wouldn't?

SirShandy

Those "preorders at random times" are the only reason a bunch of people were able to realistically get the damn things since there were at least a few minutes that you could grab one if you happened to be up late at night. The people that tried to get a SNES Classic at 12pm or whatever are the ones that actually got fucked over.

This is 100% on Nintendo for putting out such hilariously low stock.

How do you know how much stock Nintendo has ready for their first shipment?

Kureransu

I think we put too much stock in these products. I can understand wanting one, I get it, but it's just not worth getting angry over. I don't really blame Nintendo, I blame the pro-order culture we've created in addition to everyone needing it day one. It makes super easy for people to scalp. Nintendo could've put 1 million out on day one and it still will be sold out, because it's just so easy to preorder one from your bed. The only way this could work is if no release date is announced, no pre-orders are taken, and it just shows up in stores/shipped out. But personally it's just not worth the stress. I feel like supporting the "classic" systems is what's slowing down the VC release anyway, so i'm not suppporting it regardless.

Papacheeks

Banned
When it comes out I'll be giving my money to Polymega console and stick it to Nintendo that way.I'll just play my original Carts in HD and know I made the right choice.

Zarth

For all the complaints about Nintendo and the scalper scenario its a thing with other hardware too. I'm not sure what they could do to stop it. Any scenario that possibly stops scalpers also exposes them to overproduction.

Its not as simple as just making more of them or informing people when a sale will happen.

I'm sure I'm showing ridiculous ignorance here, but why don't Nintendo just make enough to fulfil demand? Surely that way they make more money by selling more units, and potentially save on the manufacturing costs because they're building more of the bloody things?

I know storage is an issue and stuff, but surely the NES Classic would have given them a reasonable indication of roughly how many people would want this thing? They must have the data to make a reasonably educated guess on how many of these they're likely to sell.

MikeRahl

Plastic with an off-the-shelf mobile chip.

They nearly could make infinite amounts of them.

There has to be a production line somewhere, and then they have to be QA'd and packaged. And then you have to store them until they need to be shipped. And then they need to be shipped....

New002

How do you know how much stock Nintendo has ready for their first shipment?

If history is any indication it honestly seems like a pretty safe bet that the stock situation is going to be fucked. Maybe it will be less fucked, but still fucked.

Let's see what happens come launch though, sure.

SpecX

Did Nintendo fire their supply chain people after Wii U? It's been amateur hour ever since Amiibo.

Feels like it. Nintendo supplies the opposite based on the market demand or they are just horrible on gauging the market when it comes to supplying retail.

I just don't get why they don't make enough for people. Would they really make that much more with the virtual console? How much could these honestly cost to make? Think of the money Nintendo is leaving on the table.

Experien

No, he's angry because instead of doing this like everybody else where preorders go live at a specific date and everybody is able to attempt to get one if they plan out ahead and then selling out when they run out of stock, or leaving the preorder option up and continuing to make more of the product based off of the demand instead of artificially limiting the supply, Nintendo continues to do it in such a way that favors scalpers the most.

Everybody else does that for novelty items?

The Switch didn't have a set day you could pre-order, it was just found out early gamestop was going to have pre-orders the next day after the event. Samus 3DS XL didn't have announced day. PS4 didn't have an announced day (had a reveal and it was available during/after conference).

The only time I can think of someone saying there was a date and time for pre-order was maybe the PSVR (dont think there was a time, just day) and new shipments of NES Classic which wasn't a pre-order.

Did the xbonex have a date and time?

For all the complaints about Nintendo and the scalper scenario its a thing with other hardware too. I'm not sure what they could do to stop it. Any scenario that possibly stops scalpers also exposes them to overproduction.

Its not as simple as just making more of them or informing people when a sale will happen.

Nah, there's a way to do it, but it would take some genuine planning, so it won't happen. This product isn't important enough for Nintendo long-term.

Nintendo could open pre-orders on their website 3-4 months in advance for 24 hours, require at least a $100 deposit immediately that is non-refundable save for the $20 overcharge after the item has shipped, and take as many pre-orders as possible during the entire 24 hour period.

Heck, they could extend the timeframe for ordering the item indefinitely if they utilized a waiting list and informed consumers that they may have to wait a few weeks or months to obtain one, but they will be guaranteed the product eventually.

baphomet

I'm sure I'm showing ridiculous ignorance here, but why don't Nintendo just make enough to fulfil demand? Surely that way they make more money by selling more units, and potentially save on the manufacturing costs because they're building more of the bloody things?

I know storage is an issue and stuff, but surely the NES Classic would have given them a reasonable indication of roughly how many people would want this thing?

Because it's better to have all of them gone than to have them sitting on shelves.

molnizzle

There has to be a production line somewhere, and then they have to be QA'd and packaged. And then you have to store them until they need to be shipped. And then they need to be shipped....

Correct.

...they could still easily produce enough. This thing doesn't have supply-constrained components like the Switch. It's a plastic box with a generic mobile chip running emulators. They could pump them out like thumb drives if they wanted to.

Top Bottom