• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft talks Zombi U sequel; possible co-op

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Eh, screw the early negative press. ZombiU owned, and much of what the early reviews complained about was a matter of preference and/or missing the point. The worst thing that could happen to a sequel is pandering to complaints from people who really just didn't gel with the kind of game ZombiU is, or succumbing to a larger budget and trying to up the anti in product.

The slow, methodical, grim trek through apocalyptic London needs to stay. No pandering to lazy gamers. No scripting. No hand holding. No voice protagonist, abundance of cutscenes, or setpiece driven level design. Just the same kind of game ZombiU is, with focus put on the areas ZombiU could grow: bigger game world with even more Metroidvania style progression and short cuts, more "random" elements, and more stuff to discover.

ZombiU+. Make that and you have my money.

and I quote.

Akira_83

Banned
Just make sure to provide an auto loot function next time so that I don't have to manually drag and drop items in and out of my backpack. Worst aspect of the game for me.

Edit: Plus, if you're gonna call it ZombiU 2, make sure to include Bono as a boss. And if it's going to be in London/UK again, please make sure to include members of royal family.

umm no

half of the tension in that game is when your tryin to sort/drag stuff to our backpack and watchin the TV to see if something is sneaking up on you

auto-loot ruins that

being non-streamlined is what made Zombi-U so cool, go play one of the millions of more user friendly games if thats what you want

Amneisac

Eh, screw the early negative press. ZombiU owned, and much of what the early reviews complained about was a matter of preference and/or missing the point. The worst thing that could happen to a sequel is pandering to complaints from people who really just didn't gel with the kind of game ZombiU is, or succumbing to a larger budget and trying to up the anti in product.

The slow, methodical, grim trek through apocalyptic London needs to stay. No pandering to lazy gamers. No scripting. No hand holding. No voice protagonist, abundance of cutscenes, or setpiece driven level design. Just the same kind of game ZombiU is, with focus put on the areas ZombiU could grow: bigger game world with even more Metroidvania style progression and short cuts, more "random" elements, and more stuff to discover.

For me there are two issues here, yeah the game got a lot of unwarranted hate from people who just didn't 'get it' and that's fine. It was also an INCREDIBLY flawed game technically and I can't think of another major release that had more game-breaking bugs that have STILL yet to be addressed by the developer.

They go around and say, "Gosh, we were really bummed about the early reviews!" and yet they won't fix their fucking game. It's infuriating that they would announce a sequel without any mention of a patch for the first game which is still broken.

This is perfect. Exactly right.

Get it out of London.

Post-apocalyptic horror games set in modern and known mega-cities never resonated well for me, despite the somewhat cool factor of seeing iconic sites and structures half-destroyed or occupied by monsters.

Quiet suburbs or rural/underdeveloped backdrops scare me more, like the original Halloween or Friday the 13th settings. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories nailed it, IMO.

Mael

Get it out of London.

Post-apocalyptic horror games set in modern and known mega-cities never resonated well for me, despite the somewhat cool factor of seeing iconic sites and structures half-destroyed or occupied by monsters.

Quiet suburbs or rural/underdeveloped backdrops scare me more, like the original Halloween or Friday the 13th settings. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories nailed it, IMO.

I'd say they should do both.
In a way like GTA SA, I mean with big town AND countryside and small town environments.
London was a fantastic setting for this game though.

It was really rough around the edges, but i really loved ZombiU. I'm sure we'd all love co-op in the sequel. I'm looking forward to this already.

derFeef

Remove all the scripted "ambushes", make it more random and even more open - perfect.

Two scripted "we will fuck you" moments killed the game for me, did not even finish it :(

Crub

I doubt a potential sequel would be Wii U exclusive, looking at how poorly Red Steel 2 did. I could even see them having a semi-sequl ready in time for the launch of 720/PS4.

I have not played the game, so can someone please inform me why the GamePad is important to the game.

Kacho

Remove all the scripted "ambushes", make it more random and even more open - perfect.

Two scripted "we will fuck you" moments killed the game for me, did not even finish it :(

The
Carnival
for one? Talk about feeling out of place in that game. Nearly made me say "FUCK IT!" lol

For me there are two issues here, yeah the game got a lot of unwarranted hate from people who just didn't 'get it' and that's fine. It was also an INCREDIBLY flawed game technically and I can't think of another major release that had more game-breaking bugs that have STILL yet to be addressed by the developer.

They go around and say, "Gosh, we were really bummed about the early reviews!" and yet they won't fix their fucking game. It's infuriating that they would announce a sequel without any mention of a patch for the first game which is still broken.

right on here. I got the missing gas can bug and havent touched it since. Which really sucks because i was absolutely loving the game up to that point, so much that i would have considered it one of my favs since RE4. But alas.. they need to patch the game.

The Boat

Where's that Yeah! button?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Well, bugs are the obvious exception, because nobody in their right mind would willingly and knowingly keep bugs to supplement the gameplay :p. My gaming time with ZombiU has been mostly if not completely bug free, but it sucks others have issues. They should be patched, I agree, and I'm not sure why they haven't already, unless Ubisoft isn't interested in giving the studio rope to do so.

Get it out of London.

I loved it being set in London if just because every fucking zombie game these days is Americana. I'm tired of the US being the cornerstone of everything zombies. It's boring. London at least provided a fresh gaming location for an outbreak, even if it was a 28 Days Later archetype.

I'm happy for it to move out of London, but keep it European, or anywhere other than America. In fact, outside of massive concessions made to the game design to pander to the mass market, setting a ZombiU 2 in the US would be my biggest disappointment.

Mael

I doubt a potential sequel would be Wii U exclusive, looking at how poorly Red Steel 2 did. I could even see them having a semi-sequl ready in time for the launch of 720/PS4.

I have not played the game, so can someone please inform me why the GamePad is important to the game.

RS2 is hardly a good comparison, it happened 3 to 4 years after the 1rst one and they scrapped multiple times what they were doing, the game itself felt unfocused too.
The gamepad is absolutely necessary, basically the HUD is minimal and everything happens on the pad as far as menu goes.
The multiplayer would be impossible on other platforms too.

Red Steel isn't ZombiU and Wii U isn't Wii, so your comparison don't make any sense.

yeah. as far as 'co-op' goes, it'd be fun if basically when you run into someone else, it gives you a shared side mission which you both have to work together to complete, but that there is a small random chance that one player is given the objective of killing the other.

if they aren't assigned that task, the spoils are only shared if they don't kill each other, but if they are given that task, then they will get all the spoils if they succeed and none if they don't.

if it's just up to the players, people will always try to kill each other and it'll be too predictable.

GulAtiCa

I don't know how I feel about co-op. But I'd love an online world where you could interact with others and try to survive together. Like a big open city.

olimpia84

Despite its flaws I thoroughly enjoyed ZombiU, so if they manage to fix some of the issues from the first game and add new features this will be a must buy game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think co-op could work, but in a REALLY passive way. Like, you don't set up a gain or join a friend's hosted match, but instead it's kind of like an expanded social networking element similar to the infected system they've already got (which, might I add, needs to stay).

Think of it like this: whenever you play ZombiU 2 you play it exactly as you did ZombiU: alone. But if you've got the game set to stay connected to the internet while in play, it's possible that when you enter a zone you will connect to another person's Wii U and passive multiplayer will begin. You're both existing inside the same game world, and you can chose to do whatever you want to do from there.

Similar to Dark Souls invade feature. It would be a massive multiplayer mode. You never know when or where you're going to bump into another survivor, or let alone who. It's totally random and unexpected.

Within a larger game world than what ZombiU offers, that could be neat. Indirect, passive multiplayer connections, but still a multiplayer 'environment', where players can on the off chance see and interact with one another.

Crub

The gamepad is absolutely necessary, basically the HUD is minimal and everything happens on the pad as far as menu goes.
While I'm sure the GamePad adds to the experience, wouldn't they be able to rework the game for a regular controller?

In the Castlevania games on DS it's a nice feature to always have the map visible on one of the screens but it's hardly a necessity for the game to work.

Red Steel isn't ZombiU and Wii U isn't Wii, so your comparison don't make any sense.
The comparison makes no sense because "Wii U isn't Wii"? Clearly there are many similarities that can be made between the two titles and I think the comparison is completely logical.

While I'm sure the GamePad adds to the experience, wouldn't they be able to rework the game for a regular controller?

They could. Just overlay the menus on the main screen. Same idea of multitasking, you just don't have to look down at the pad.

It's a preference thing really.

Mael

In the Castlevania games on DS it's a nice feature to always have the map visible on one of the screens but it's hardly a necessity for the game to work.

Considering the game is kinda touchscreen heavy, no it wouldn't work.
Let's not even talk about the codes to inserts and all the moment where you need to interact with the lower screen while something happen on the bigger.
It can work in the same way that Prime 3 can work on a regular controller but it'll be shit.

The comparison makes no sense because "Wii U isn't Wii"? Clearly there are many similarities that can be made between the two titles and I think the comparison is completely logical.

No it isn't because RS 2 is a botched sequel as far as marketing goes. Everyone was trying to forget about RS when they announced RS2, not exactly the same thing.
If you even liked RS 1, there was no reason to get RS2 as they ditched everything that made RS1 except for the general idea behind the game.
It could have been a new IP as far as everything goes because there was no point in using the RS IP.

Crub

Considering the game is kinda touchscreen heavy, no it wouldn't work.
Let's not even talk about the codes to inserts and all the moment where you need to interact with the lower screen while something happen on the bigger.
Why wouldn't you simply be able to look at the characters tablet device in-game? And can you be more specific about touchscreen use? I'm not questioning if the GamePad adds to the game, I'm just curious why some people seem to believe the game wouldn't be possible without it.

Heck yes. So glad they're openly talking sequel already. There were so many awesome ideas in this game, more time to polish what they want to do should produce something truly fantastic.

Why wouldn't you simply be able to look at the characters tablet device in-game? And can you be more specific about touchscreen use? I'm not questioning if the GamePad adds to the game, I'm just curious why some people seem to believe the game wouldn't be possible without it.

Because the core of the game is the tension it creates by forcing you to look away from the screen all the time. That's why it was genuinely something new. You can't replicate that by having a menu screen come up. Both spaces are active at the same time on the U.

Haunted

I'm a fan, so I'd love to see them expand on the ideas of ZombiU. It obviously had a lot of cut corners to make launch, there's a lot of potential there.

That source link doesn't go to our full interview, which you can read here.

There's some other neat stuff in there, we spoke to them about crafting such a violent game within a studio that earned acclaim for their work on platformers, and what kind of work goes in developing a modern FPS (considering their last was King Kong).
Thanks, it's a good interview.

I think co-op could work, but in a REALLY passive way. Like, you don't set up a gain or join a friend's hosted match, but instead it's kind of like an expanded social networking element similar to the infected system they've already got (which, might I add, needs to stay).

Think of it like this: whenever you play ZombiU 2 you play it exactly as you did ZombiU: alone. But if you've got the game set to stay connected to the internet while in play, it's possible that when you enter a zone you will connect to another person's Wii U and passive multiplayer will begin. You're both existing inside the same game world, and you can chose to do whatever you want to do from there.

Similar to Dark Souls invade feature. It would be a massive multiplayer mode. You never know when or where you're going to bump into another survivor, or let alone who. It's totally random and unexpected.

Within a larger game world than what ZombiU offers, that could be neat. Indirect, passive multiplayer connections, but still a multiplayer 'environment', where players can on the off chance see and interact with one another.
It's obvious he's talking big inspiration straight from DayZ, with a smaller player count per instance.

Mael

Why wouldn't you simply be able to look at the characters tablet device in-game?
What do you mean?

And can you be more specific about touchscreen use? I'm not questioning if the GamePad adds to the game, I'm just curious why it wouldn't be possible without it.

Basically there's some minigames (that could be replaced by lame QTE btw) that are pretty heavy on the use of the touchscreen.
The design of the game is also very reliant on the fact that (aside from the - menu) there's no break possible from the moment you begin the game till you put it down.
It's not as heavy as something like Trauma Center but it's still pretty important for the experience, I think there's a gaffer on the OT thread that did a good stream of the game with both screens, I can't find it right now.

Haunted

Oh, it's totally possible.

It's just not the same kind of experience. They did a really great job utilising the second screen (above and beyond "just" using it as an additional interface for interaction).

Amneisac

right on here. I got the missing gas can bug and havent touched it since. Which really sucks because i was absolutely loving the game up to that point, so much that i would have considered it one of my favs since RE4. But alas.. they need to patch the game.

Hi-Five, brother. I got the exact same bug.

Zombi U was 2012 sleeper hit! The game is just fantastic at what it tries to do. I cant wait for a sequel.

I was lucky enough not to have any game crushing bugs happen to me and I played the games for over 60 hours.. Hopefully Ubi patches it.

Neff

satisfiede.gif

Lizardus

Because the core of the game is the tension it creates by forcing you to look away from the screen all the time. That's why it was genuinely something new. You can't replicate that by having a menu screen come up. Both spaces are active at the same time on the U.

You know what would be more immersive and tension-inducing? Forcing players to put down their gun (wiimote) when they are playing minigames/rummaging through backpacks/picking locks etc.

Surely you don't do all of that while holding a gun, right? Dual analogue needs to die because its archaic and unfun.

Not sure how co-op can be implemented well, but I'm glad they admitted how dumb the man hole/barricade tapping was.

Between this and the GameInformer (surprising venue considering how much they ignored/ shit on the game since its announcement) interview going into different melee weapons, I'm pumped for a well-developed sequel.

Agreed.

I don't want co-op, though a DayZ style setup could work well.

Top Bottom