• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

I have a question:
I'm going to the country side for some days and, for the first time ever, they have connected it to the broadband.
So i'm wondering: can i use my steam games, from two computer, at the same time?
I would bring the imac over and play with it, and leave the PC here so my brother can play with that while he stays in the city.
Do i have to buy all of them from scratch? :(

UrbanRats said:
I have a question:
I'm going to the country side for some days and, for the first time ever, they have connected it to the broadband.
So i'm wondering: can i use my steam games, from two computer, at the same time?
I would bring the imac over and play with it, and leave the PC here so my brother can play with that while he stays in the city.

You both can't be logged in to steam at the same time, if it's just one steam account you're talking about, which it sounds like you are. Coordinate game time and it should work.

confused

Banned
Can we please ban Steam calculator posts from this thread. Nobody gives a fuck how much you spent because you didn't spend that ammount anyway.

Please add something like this to the OP

confused said:
Can we please ban Steam calculator posts from this thread. Nobody gives a fuck how much you spent because you didn't spend that ammount anyway.

Please add something like this to the OP

Yeah, it would be maybe semi interesting if it calculated when you bought it and what sales were going on to see how much you saved total over your Steam lifetime. As it is, I just skip right past these calculator posts.

vsjkmf.png

Keep calm, follow this handy guide to make this a better thread.

BarrenMind said:
You both can't be logged in to steam at the same time, if it's just one steam account you're talking about, which it sounds like you are. Coordinate game time and it should work.
Offline mode.

Why does my community profile say that I have 76 games, and then only shows 63 games, which is the same number as is shown in the library tab?

MNC

UrbanRats said:
I have a question:
You can. I've played loads of LAN steam games with my nephew. There are two solutions.

The first is that you install all of the games you want on the imac and login in offline mode and play the games. Your brother can then still run the games at home. I'd suggest some trial-error practice at home in which order you'd need to login on which PC.

The other... Well, on PC 1, log into steam and boot up the game. then, log into your iMac. The game on PC1 will still be running but get an error about 'account being used somewhere else'. You can do this back and forth and even play LAN games at home. But, the trick is, you need to relogin for these things, so if you want, your little brother uses the login/pass of your steam account to play games which I guess you don't want that though. :lol

Rufus

@Visualante
Comparing categories is missing. I'm sure there's something else, but it's very comprehensive otherwise.

graywolf323

CecilRousso said:
Why does my community profile say that I have 76 games, and then only shows 63 games, which is the same number as is shown in the library tab?

combination of glitch and community profile counts all the DLC you've bought as "games"

MNC

graywolf323 said:
combination of glitch and community profile counts all the DLC you've bought as "games"
Plus free games which don't stay in your list (free peggle game, portal first slice I think)

UrbanRats

MNC said:
You can. I've played loads of LAN steam games with my nephew. There are two solutions.

The first is that you install all of the games you want on the imac and login in offline mode and play the games. Your brother can then still run the games at home. I'd suggest some trial-error practice at home in which order you'd need to login on which PC.

The other... Well, on PC 1, log into steam and boot up the game. then, log into your iMac. The game on PC1 will still be running but get an error about 'account being used somewhere else'. You can do this back and forth and even play LAN games at home. But, the trick is, you need to relogin for these things, so if you want, your little brother uses the login/pass of your steam account to play games which I guess you don't want that though. :lol
On the contrary, it's not a problem :D
Thanks for the help! i'll try it.

Vik_Vaughn said:
I bought Civ 4 Complete and now I've got 2 copies of everything in the pack showing up. Any ways to hide Mac-only stuff on my Windows Steam?
I just created a category called Mac and keep it minimized in my Steam games list

asdad123

Is it possible to transfer saves between computers? Im playing ME2 on my M11x and wanna transfer the save to my desktop.

Rufus said:
@Visualante
Comparing categories is missing. I'm sure there's something else, but it's very comprehensive otherwise.
That might just be a GAF phenomena, but it'll probably migrate to goons soon.

graywolf323

oh nice you can upgrade to the Assassin's Creed II deluxe for $5 now :lol

edit: which apparently I already own, had gotten an activation code off eBay (someone who got it from buying a processor I believe) was never sure if I had the deluxe or not >_>

thefil

Nabs said:
Assassin's Creed II is now Steamplay

This strikes me as incredibly important for some reason. With Ubisoft on board for AAA Steamplay, how far behind will EA be? And maybe event Activision?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
epmode said:
Awesome new Steam stuff, same old DRM. No thanks.

If it helps at all, Ubisoft has changed the way the DRM works. An active internet connection is only needed to start the game now. Still not the best, but it is at the very least different.

Visualante said:
http://i47.tinypic.com/vsjkmf.png[IMG]

Keep calm, follow this handy guide to make this a better thread.[/QUOTE]
It nearly has everything. Its just missing "would have bought it but the DRM"

thefil said:
This strikes me as incredibly important for some reason. With Ubisoft on board for AAA Steamplay, how far behind will EA be? And maybe event Activision?
The thing is Assassin's Creed 2 already had a Mac version. If you're looking for AAA SteamPlay titles from EA or Activision, I'd first look for ones that they already have on Mac. Although most of their titles were ported by porting houses, so that lessens their probability of showing up on Steam.

Avyrocky said:
Does AC:2 work on Steam offline? As in you do not have to be connected to the internet?

Please say its true!
Nope, when you start the game via Steam you load the Ubisoft loader program that requires an internet connection for authentication. As has already been mentioned it does not require an internet connection the whole time you play anymore.

Javaman

graywolf323 said:
five different preorder versions? :lol
Ugh. Makes me not want to buy any of them. I'll just wait till the next xmas sale and get it for $15. By then the other bonuses'll probably be patched in.

trinest

mmm Rockstar games in Australia now- like Bully and GTA:III etc. Thanks Steam- now I have to wait until next sale to get them- screw paying $15 for them each.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wait...what? AssCreed 2 on Mac? What the hell? This is...out of left field, and awesome! And the DRM going away? I'm starting to regret not buying on that holiday sale now...

But on a broader perspective, as someone said, if Ubi makes the Mac jump then the other publishers will follow suit. And Mac Steam will certainly grease the wheels.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Javaman said:
Ugh. Makes me not want to buy any of them. I'll just wait till the next xmas sale and get it for $15. By then the other bonuses'll probably be patched in.

Relic deserves your money, they are one of the few studios still producing amazing AAA PC exclusives. Don't be a cheapass.

Mrbob

Javaman said:

Honestly these pre order bonuses probably aren't that big of a deal. You'll find better gear in game.

Javaman

Sinatar said:
Relic deserves your money, they are one of the few studios still producing amazing AAA PC exclusives. Don't be a cheapass.

I own their entire recent catalog on PC. I'll give them my money when they do away with these stupid preorder bonuses and charge a normal price for a glorified expansion.
10ej2q0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom