• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Not really. Geoff Johns actually wrote the story, King and Williamson are just doing the scripting for their particular issues. It seems pretty apparent it's going to be a Flash heavy story, so it makes sense the Flash writer would do the bulk of it.

So why not say that when the book was announced or solicited? Less than a week before when it was obviously done before? Didn't King just get brought during c2e2 talking about Button?! Didn't actually see t but saw him tweet about it.

Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of shady to wait until the last minute to suddenly announce King isn't writing Batman 22? Suddenly less King on the event that was mostly hyped on King...

It's just a week away right? Unless they are working deadlines really close to release it does seem a little weird. I just looked up the solicits for May 2017 and it looks like it was specifically left out.

Sandfox

I just put this in my basket last night haha, glad to hear the whole thing is a good read! I just remember on and off chat about it back around cancellation, but I don't remember folks talking about the resolution. It sounds like a compelling read though, especially if the book being cutoff didn't mess up the end. glad you posted this. I was looking at grabbing Powerman & Iron Fist too, folks liked that, right? I haven't read any Walker but that seems like his best stuff so far.

I thought Super Heavy & Bloom were okay, not too bad, but the whole premise of Gordon as Batman is giving such little exploration before they move on it feels wasted and a mistake to have bothered if not to go further with the premise, and I was a little flummoxed at times. I haven't read either Eternal series or some of the other ancillary titles at the time and it felt like I was missing some plot beats etc. It's right on the edge. If you like Snyder's actual writing style and Capullo's artwork it's a good shout, but you could move on if you're more in it for plot.
Powerman and Iron Fist is good.
Is Snyder writing it!? I would start buying Batman again in single issues if he picked it up after King!

Edit: nvm its the Flash's writer. I haven't been a big fan of King on Batman tbh. It just feels like going through the paces, nothing new or unique to add.

Also I hope Aaron get the Avengers after Waid, either him or Ewing. I think I read somewhere Waid might be going to D.C. For Superman which could be good. If Aaron gets Avengers or whatever the flagship Legecay boom is I hope Wolverine is part of the roster. I would really like to see him writing a book with Wolverine(Logan or Laura), Thor, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, and hopefully a reset OG Cap (if he survives Secret Empire). Could be pretty cool seeing how he lives with what he has done post SE along with everyone else hating him.
The Waid rumor said that he would be working for both Marvel and DC. The Superman part is weird unless the current team is leaving the book, which would be pretty shocking.

I posted this before, but my Avengers team would be:
Steve
Tony
Thor Odinson
Janet
Black Panther
The new Giant Man
America Chavez
Banner Hulk

I think Marvel is setting it up so that Scarlet Witch can return to her old role though. Zub also gave an interesting non-answer to someone asking him to fix Pym in Uncanny.

Vic_Viper

So why not say that when the book was announced or solicited? Less than a week before when it was obviously done before? Didn't King just get brought during c2e2 talking about Button?! Didn't actually see t but saw him tweet about it.

Pretty sure your thinking of King's Batman War of Jokes and Riddles event/story. The Button was always sold to us as a Johns plotted Flash story with Batman in it.

Sandfox

Pretty sure your thinking of King's Batman War of Jokes and Riddles event/story. The Button was always sold to us as a Johns plotted Flash story with Batman in it.
His issue is that Tom King was listed as the writer in the solicitations only for it to change at the last minute.

caliph95

Call up Ennis and tell him he has 100% free reign to write the Avengers, let's see what happens
I want to post stuff from the Boys but i don't want to be banned
Remender mad
What happened now
Well when your character development is always built around the character having been abused...
You can't have a fight without narration about the character breaking his wrist or ribs or whatever

Johns has been touted as being behind a lot of Rebirth but it really seems like it all just hinges off the whole Rebirth idea as a whole. They have definitely touted Button as a King/Williamson event and King especially when promoting it on twitter and stuff. I think I was thinking of Jokes and Riddles when it came to the C2E2 thing though, now that I think about it.

King writing Batman is a positive now?

I know it's not been for everyone but I've loved it outside of the ending of I am Suicide and the start of Rooftops. But I can look past two issues.

skybald

Extremity 1,2
Well this book is great. I love the medieval science fiction styling and the crazy monsters. The violence is grisly but not over embellished. Keep these coming.

Deadpool vs. The Punisher 1
Neat story. The superhero fight club part is hilarious even if it makes no sense. Forgot to add this to my pulls and forgot it came out today.

mreddie

Hellcat was a gay, fun ride.

I wish for more but Marvel and usual comic fans hate fun these days and want SHOOT MOPE BANG GRIMM.
KNEMxaE.png

Heheheheh

Is it that hard to pin down a release date?
No one acknowledged this post properly.
That's good then. I'm not a big fan of him or Snyder tbh. I like how Tynion writes Batman.
I like how Orlando writes him: just a huge asshole obssessed with winning.
https://twitter.com/TomBrevoort/status/857716354589347840

Brevoort dropping bombs on you Greg Land haters. In all seriousness this is true. The artists that people like to praise most are the only that will only do like six issues.
My issue with Land is the faces primarily. I don't have many issues beyond that

mreddie

Comicbeat article says Marvel releasing 3 books with the same character dilute the product.

Have they seen the Batfamily line?

Sandfox

Does that have any effect on the sales of the main book as long as it's clear what the main book is.

I doubt it. In the New 52 era for example there was Batman, The Dark Knight, Batman and Robin, and Detective Comics. If Batman was the only book it wouldn't have sold 200k or something. There's an argument that most characters should only have one book, but I don't agree with the idea that people dropped Doctor Strange because of the Sorcerers Supreme book.

https://twitter.com/TomBrevoort/status/857716354589347840

Brevoort dropping bombs on you Greg Land haters. In all seriousness this is true. The artists that people like to praise most are the only that will only do like six issues.

as someone mentioned in his mentions, Allred and Henderson are Marvel's most consistent artists right now. anyway, Greg Land being on every issue on a run (which he doesn't do either) doesn't suddenly make him good or respectable

Sandfox

as someone mentioned in his mentions, Allred and Henderson are Marvel's most consistent artists right now. anyway, Greg Land being on every issue on a run (which he doesn't do either) doesn't suddenly make him good or respectable

I mentioned Land as a joke. Brevoort name-dropped better artists.

Hellcat was a gay, fun ride.

I wish for more but Marvel and usual comic fans hate fun these days and want SHOOT MOPE BANG GRIMM.

Heheheheh

The interesting thing is the headline is Marvel, but the issues are much bigger.

The harder you make it to collect “Marvel comics”, the fewer people will do so. And that audience fracturing has finally come home to roost.

Meanwhile, we’re selling one hundred and sixty copies of “Saga” every month, on preorders of about eighty copies. The takeaway here, as I see it, as that there is no lack of customers for periodical comics, and there’s no lack of passion and energy for the format, and that there is no indication that “casual” readers won’t be interested in purchasing periodical comics (A big chunk of those “Saga” readers, like the “Sandman” wave that happened two decades before, are not normal and traditional “Wednesday Warriors”, yet there are still stoked to buy periodical comics!) – but that Marvel (and DC, largely) have harmed their own sales and chased their own customers away. There’s a problem when I sell 160 “Saga” and 16 copies of “ASM”… but this is problem of Marvel’s making over the accumulation of time.

Why? Well, beyond “Saga” clearly and directly showing me that there’s a huge market for the right periodical to the right market, we’ve had our best superhero success in something like a decade with Marvel’s “Black Panther”. The first issue was our #1 best-selling title of 2016, we sold near double the copies as we did of “Saga” – and I’m sure we can sell way more than that of the right Spidey comic, in an eco-system where Spidey comics are actually something special.

People who say the new audience inherently don’t want super-heroes or don’t want periodicals are fundamentally wrong. They just don’t want them in the way they’re being offered.

The last bolded line is the drum I've been banging on for a long time now.

They’re not looking for a LINE of comics… they’re looking for a comic. That new young woman who is buying “Squirrel Girl”? For the most part she’s not looking for five more female heroines to go along with it. That’s not to say that maybe she couldn’t be convinced to buy five more comics (she can!), but they have to be different flavors. They emphatically don’t want a line, like we did when we were kids.

In the micro, the kid who is buying “Totally Awesome Hulk” is most likely going to jump the heck off when that book crosses over into “Weapon X”, especially when you add an extra and above $5 special in there as part of the crossover – that kid doesn’t care that it is creatively valid, being driven by a writer’s story… what he cares about is he just wants to read “TAH”! Up and down the line Marvel is constantly pushing for customers to buy more and more, and that worked (for a while…. Even a good long while), but I think those days are now gone, and so they’ve made it harder to draw people into the line without a truly radical rethink of how they publish comics.

To which I think nonsense – if there’s a problem stemming from who is in the costumes, it’s that all of these changes are happening at the same exact time, where essentially “none” of the “legacy” characters are active right now at all. That’s a problem of timing, to be sure, but it doesn’t mean the solution is to just bring the “legacy” characters all back in a rush. Ultimately “Tony Stark as Iron Man again!” becomes a creative dead-end, just like it’s been the other half-dozen times they’ve done this. There’s a reason that Steve Rogers quits being Captain America every few years – Steve Rogers is kind of dull. There’s a reason that they keep changing the status quo of Bruce Banner and The Hulk – because otherwise the formula gets stale really fast.

I don't entirely agree with him - the lines and hold onto multiple books focused around the same character - but I understand the general thrust of his argument. Part of that is what I was trying to get at in my shot at paring down Marvel's lineup.

I also think DC is heading in that direction, despite the bump from Rebirth. The most-recent issues of Action Comics are all about working out continuity, which I think is aimed at us veteran readers. It just feels confusing to new folks.

The Spider Woman team was pretty good, yeah. I haven't read the post-SW run, who'd they replace Rodriguez with when they poached him for Sorcerors?
I mentioned Land as a joke. Brevoort name-dropped better artists.

I know, but he's always cited as a guy who hits deadlines which automatically makes him important. I did assume he meant Land but I saw his list and it's got some good examples. I feel like you can kinda see the cost of Ramos's consistent schedule though, and I also feel like people do appreciate the people I mentioned, plus Maleev. I give Larroca and Bagley credit for having some longer uninterrupted runs, buuuuuut not for much more than that

Which was it again?

The previous posts:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227230111&postcount=5121
Honestly, I love the idea of floppies, but I'm all digital at this point (helps when taking screenshots for reviews).

I think the industry needs to rethink the 22-pager at some point, because I'm not seeing the need there, outside of servicing the direct market.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227232149&postcount=5126
Basically, the 22-pager exists because that was the form that was good for the newsstands from a size/price standpoint. None of that really matter anymore and these days, we keep it because of tradition and the fact that direct market is built to handle floppies in their current form.

Once you move to digital, that goes out the door. Make the story the length you need to tell the story. Marvel's slowly coming to this realization with it's digital-only books. X-Men 92 is anywhere from 20-25 pages per issue, but there's room for more variance. You can see minimums for pricing purposes ("You'll always get at least 20 pages for $1.99!"), but otherwise, the format should fit the story being told, not the other way around.

And yes, like you point out, you can put lower performing titles in an anthology series. You can experiment with the format: maybe a monthly 100-page anthology with five stories is the best format for your smaller characters and new ideas. Maybe 6 pages released weekly, like Warren Ellis' FreakAngels is your best method. It depends on your story.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=227233993&postcount=5137
I mean, everything sells poorly except for Spider-Man, Batman, Star Wars, and various combinations of those properties.

I argue that major publishers and the direct market are more predicated on not seeing them as a strong profit driver and so they don't really try on the format. There's nothing really preventing a collection featuring something like Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman, Adventures of Superman, and Legends of the Dark Knight in the same book alongside some smaller stories. Essentially, the industry has taught a specific demographic that this is what we offer as a norm and in doing so, alienated other demos. We sold pulp magazines until we decided pulp magazines weren't the thing we were selling anymore.

It's like manga. For the longest time, manga was either not published on Western shores, or sold in odd-cut floppy format. It wasn't that a market didn't exist for translated manga in the tankobon format, it was that existing publishers and retailers didn't try hard enough to sell the different format to new or existing audiences. Once someone really dug in, the format took off. And note, it flourished outside of the direct market, where the market itself wasn't trying to force the content to fit its existing format.

Top Bottom