• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Improved Sequel of 2017?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What game sequels have improved the most on their predecessor of 2017?

Assassins Creed Origns, from a stale, directionless franchise to a well thought out story (Ceaser, cool protagonist) with a theme (ancient Egypt) and vast improvements (combat, graphics, photo mode)

hymanator

GTA III was a pretty big jump compared to the first two games.

edit: For 2017 I would have to say Zelda Breath of the Wild. The mechanic of being able to climb almost all of the environment was a very well executed and original idea that will inspire many future open-world games in 2018 and beyond. The last few Zelda games couldn't hold my interest for nearly as long.

EBE

Gears of War 2.

It's almost too good.

But Watch Dogs 2 is a good recent example. And Zelda, obviously.

I think WD 2 might've been late 2016. But I'll allow it. OP will have to as well.

DrDerekDrs

Neo Member
Evil Within 2 for me, on console. Went from a disjointed, shonkily frame-rated game which felt trapped in a ten year old design to something much better on all fronts.

Many are missing the "of 2017" part of the OP.

As far as what I've played this year that's been a sequel, definitely Origins. Great improvement to the series that I hope stick around in the next few titles.

Wolf2 also feels improved, but not nearly to the same degree.

Also, maybe if you consider Uncharted:Lost Legacy a sequel. That game made huge strides to the formula(well designed sandbox) that I hope to see implemented in The Last of Us 2.

xviper

Many are missing the "of 2017" part of the OP.

"of 2017" wasn't in the title about 2 hours ago

there is no doubt that the most improved sequel in 2017 and the best game of the year is Botw

i haven't played Skyword sword but i know that it is the most hated Zelda game

SonicSleuth

GTA3 and Uncharted 2 are both great answers, but since we're just talking this year... I'm not qualified. I never played Zelda, Nier, or Persona.

Does Prey count? It's not technically a sequel, but this version is quite a bit better.

GTA3 and Uncharted 2 are both great answers, but since we're just talking this year... I'm not qualified. I never played Zelda, Nier, or Persona.

Does Prey count? It's not technically a sequel, but this version is quite a bit better.

I loved Prey 2017 but can we say it's "better" than the original ? Most of the first one's mechanics are a lot better (shooting, platforming...), but the sequel is not interested in these elements so...
Quite a complicated one to be honest.

Street Fighter II

There is no other option for me. The first Street Fighter is a complete mess, but this sequel popularized the entire fighting game genre.

EDIT: Just read first post, for 2017 I would say Sonic Mania. Mechanically, it plays like classic Sonic, but the level design, boss battles and soundtrack are all above its Genesis predecessors.

Android Kuma

Neo Member
Uncharted 2 and Infamous 2. I think Dark Souls 2 is a good one as well.n

Edit: Didn't realize it was only for 2017... I'd say Gravity Rush 2.

BANGS

Banned
Yakuza 0 no contest, although technically it's not a sequel...

Edit: Forgot about Sonic Mania, that is a contest lol

SonicSleuth

I loved Prey 2017 but can we say it's "better" than the original ? Most of the first one's mechanics are a lot better (shooting, platforming...), but the sequel is not interested in these elements so...
Quite a complicated one to be honest.

I think most people remember the first Prey as being the racist game with the vagina doors, so I'm gonna have to say better. But I did beat the old one...

Ballthyrm

best improvement of all time: probably Uncharted II (went from the Mummy to Raider of the Lost Ark)

best improvement of 2017: Zelda , the last few ones felt uninspired, they managed to do what mario galaxy did to the mario franchise. And innovating on such a well known franchise is really really hard, you can piss off a lot of people if you slip up.

best sequel of 2017 : Persona 5 (improvement over Persona4 which is impressive)

Vbrasa

Do you mean which game and sequel that both came out in 2017?

I don't really know any games where the sequel came out the same year it came out this year.

Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwani counts (maybe?)

Resident Evil 7 easily. Uncharted Lost Legacy was definitely a return to form over the boring Uncharted 4. Many games released this year were inferior to their predecessors though, such as Breath of the Wild, Odyssey, and The Evil Within 2.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would say Prey counts for rebooting an IP. Adding sci-fi elements to its sounds and atmosphere was a pleasurable experience. I enjoyed it more than I did the original Prey. I'd play another Prey. The Shock formula mixed with key readers for business and janitorial offices can be a lot of fun. Like finding a shotgun in a security officer's room because you found the key or hacked the door open.

Resident Evil VII hit a home run in my books just because I have not found a more interesting first person horror game.

The Evil Within 2's open world segment was fun and I felt like that I could have kept exploring it had it not been for rushing through everything at first glance. I found myself feeling like I had missed something along the way.

Wolfenstein 2 was a lot of fun, even if the plot seemed crazier than expected. I really enjoyed the gunplay a lot more than TNO.

Destiny 2 was fun, but I haven't gone back since I finished the solo campaign. I would need to see a major change in some unique DLC package before I paid more for the game.

If I can say RE7 I would choose that just because it made me feel like I was in a hell house and I've been wanting that feeling for a long time. I played REremake again, but this was a new take in an already classic franchise. I would have said the same thing back on Dreamcast with Code Veronica just because it was the best horror game on that console.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Resident Evil 7, for me. RE6 basically killed the franchise for me. 7 turned that around in a single title. Very impressive stuff. If it wasn't for the last third or so of the game, it would rank among my favourite ever.

Destiny 2

haha
HdzSK3o.gif

Nosgotham

Xenoblade chronicles 2. Its everything i thought the series could be one day. Wayyyy more improved especially in cinematics

Velius

Banned
Xenoblade 2 or NieR.

I know people will hate me for this, but...

As much as I love BoTW, Twilight Princess is my favorite Zelda game. I just don't understand how it's hated around here.

shpankey

not an idiot
From it’s previous incarnations? gotta go w / NBA Live 17. Mostly due to just how bad it was before to now being halfway decent.

I could be the only person alive that didn’t like the new RE. :/

Top Bottom