• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will robots take my job?

13% for software engineer there better be basic income by that time. I would gladly spend all that free time programming games instead of herp derp enterprise systems.

Fat4all

Banned
Robot in action

giphy.gif

gappvembe

I have various jobs in the electrical category, and this site lists some of them anywhere from 15%-91%. Yikes. But to think about it, someone's going to have repair the robots...

Makai

This is clearly based on BLS numbers since Computer Programmer is a separate category and a low growth job.

48% chance of automation. Somebody try to explain that.

If we all quit our jobs now then that would mean robots would take our unemployment, meaning we all get to go back to work while the robots don't get to work.

Checkmate singularity.

60% for correctional officers. I doubt this will happen within my time.

How would an AI deal with a suicidal inmate?
How would an AI deal with mentally challenged inmates who are unpredictable?
How would an AI react if an inmate says they have been raped?

Corrections is more than simply turning a key. Communication is the most important aspect of it and you need a human touch for that. Can I see it becoming more automated? Yes of course, but you'll always need people.
Yea I was thinking the same thing. I looked up the jobs around some form of Law enforcement, and a few are a bit high for what the job entails. Dispatcher percentage is harsh phew.

shira

Physicians and surgeons - 0.42%

That'll do. I look forward to seeing robots as a supplement to my future job, not a complete replacement.
Well when the hospital administration and the hospital CEO are all robots who do you think they will be hiring to cut costs?

Basic programming is already heavily automated. 90% of the work that existed in the 80's is handled by compilers, linkers, and standard libraries. The logic seems to be that beyond a certain point, rather than feeding pseudo-code to a junior programmer who's going to convert it into C++/Java which a compiler will then convert into assembly and an assembler will then convert into binaries, you're going to also automate away that second step and just feed pseudo-code straight to a "programmer" utility.

Jesus, the tiny fraction of programmers who know the ultra-low level stuff at that point will command such fat paychecks when something goes wrong

Makai

Basic programming is already heavily automated. 90% of the work that existed in the 80's is handled by compilers, linkers, and standard libraries. The logic seems to be that beyond a certain point, rather than feeding pseudo-code to a junior programmer who's going to convert it into C++/Java which a compiler will then convert into assembly and an assembler will then convert into binaries, you're going to also automate away that second step and just feed pseudo-code straight to a "programmer" utility.
That's impossible. We can write a pseudo-code compiler, but if it's consistent enough to reliably transpile, it's a programming language - at which point what are we talking about. The biggest problems in programming are in the macrostructure and maintenance, which even junior programmers have to be aware of.

klaushm

13% - Software Development

In a near future? Okay. In the long run? No way.
I'll be replaced by our robot overlords in a blink of an eye, if not just by an AI.

I already do this to myself. I automatize every piece of work I can, so I won't need to do it again.

Necrovex

I'm pretty high on the list for 70% when I start working my federal gig. I'd be worried if I was in the private sector and not the public one. Hooray for a gigantic union protecting me and the mythical meme, "Feds employees don't get laid off."

Dyle

Weird numbers for me, 0.68% if I type in curator, 59% for museum tech/conservators/ 76% for archivists. My job is kind of a mix of all three, so I should be safe for quite a while

Im one of the guys who's figuring out how to give your job to a robot. So I'll have a job for atleast the coming years. I'm sure our future machine overlords will appreciate my part in their rise to power:p
Edit: 3,3% Thank you machine overlords;)

compo

Banned
I got multiple answers for mine:

Software Developers, Applications = 4.2%
Computer Programmers = 48%
Information Security Analysts, Web Developers, and Computer Net- = 21%

I'm technically a web developer right now, but I could label myself as any 3 of those. There's also Software Developers, System Software = 13%, but that's one I don't think I can label myself as, since it sounds like low level C type programming.

I'm just going to take the average of the top 3 and say 24.4% for me.

One thing people always seem to forget when they say their job is 'safe' is how the automation of other sectors will dramatically increase competition for their field. Vast amounts of educated, hard working and hungry people will come for your job when they lose theirs.

Pepboy

I do think that teaching is going to be uberized sooner or later, but fortunetly, conservadorism will kick in because the culture of sending your kids to a school is too strong.

MOOCs struggle to retain attention from users. I think less than 1% finish courses they start.

Put another way, Feynman lecture videos have been around forever. But people still study physics in other ways.

snitsky

I work at an automotive supplier, so I think it's more likely a Mexican will take my job and a robot will take his.

Reckheim

https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/

There's a 0.78% chance that my job as a philosophy teacher will be at risk.

And everyone in my entire life including myself said that philosophy was a dead-end career. pff. Take that, i'm future proof!

Now, to find a job.
-
How about you, GAF? How dependant on UBI will you be?

You probably also have a 0.78% chance to even find a job in your field so don't get too happy.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
One thing people always seem to forget when they say their job is 'safe' is how the automation of other sectors will dramatically increase competition for their field. Vast amounts of educated, hard working and hungry people will come for your job when they lose theirs.

Yeah, I'm less worried about the robots than I am about the people who are younger, more qualified, more driven and more desperate than me. I have zero qualifications or skills, and apparently a 98% chance of automation. Future looks bright.

Saganator

Salesforce Admin/Developer

The website converts my job Database Admin, which has a 3% chance of being replaced by robot. Not bad!

Salesforce is going all in with AI, and by the looks of it, part of my job will be implementing AI.

So, as student studying general computer science, how safe am I? This disparity between computer programers and software developers is worrying me.

Surgeons might have to think on their feet if something unexpected happens (I assume) and we're a long way from teaching a computer to improvise a solution to a problem. Anything that involves even a degree of improvisation should be safe.

We need to see the success failure rate first.
A knowledge based system had access to thousands of years of human experience and can make decisions in nanoseconds. The need to improvise most often comes after a mistake is made.

Makai

So, as student studying general computer science, how safe am I? This disparity between computer programers and software developers is worrying me.
It's not a real distinction. It's there because the Bureau of Labor Statistics created those categories long ago.

Top Bottom