• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Game Informer Cover Tomorrow [Up: Batman: Arkham Knight website semi-up]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the latest game called again? Arkham Origins?

#1. Batman: Arkham Asylum
Rocksteady Studios - 2009

#2. Batman: Arkham City
Rocksteady Studios - 2011

#3. Batman: Arkham Origins
Warner Bros. Games Montréal (single-player)
Splash Damage (multiplayer) - 2013

#4. Batman: Arkham Knight
Rocksteady Studios (presumably) - 2014-2015

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Skipped origins so I'll be down for this.

I LOVE the Batman Arkham series, but skipped Origin as well. Not because it didn't seem like a good game, it just came out less than a month before the next gen console launches and I wanted to focus on games for the XB1. I really wish Origins would've come out on the XB1, but this new will have to do.

So yeah do you think this'll have a Wii U version? I'm curious.

Not after how Arkham City and Arkham Origins sold.

But Nintendo could always pay for a port...and they seem to have a good relationship with Warner Bros. because Warner Bros. continues to support Wii U with new retail games (LEGO The Hobbit, LEGO The Movie Videogame), so there's a chance.

Some Nobody

If it's exclusive to next gen platforms, it'll have my attention. If it has actually evolved beyond what the other 3 games where while taking on the new 52 designs, it'll have my money.

If it's just the same, hulking, bowling ball shouldered batman, fighting the same, traversing the same and generally just stagnating...then i'll pass.

...Do you NEED the, New 52 designs? I like them for other characters but for Bats? Eh.

I got Origins launch week, still haven't finished. I think I stopped right after the beating
Bane the final time (I hope final)
. It just kept draining my interest.

Does Arkham Origins ever have anything to do with ARKHAM anything?

Origins aside, Arkhams 1&2 gave me great joy.

I hope this new entry is the finale and we get a totally different stylization for a reboot. Go to Japan and ask those Guilty Gear Xrd artists and animators "How did you do that?"

I enjoyed origins, what was so wrong with it compared to ac and aa?

More glitchy than the previous games, or at least worst glitches. Had a game breaking bug where I fell through the environment and the game saved on me so there was no way to continue other than restarting (this was about 6-8 hours in for me).

Also had issues unlocking challenges once they had been performed. I did a stealth area using the 4 types of takedowns required (too me like 3-4 attempts to finally do them without being spotted), but then when I finished the mission it didn't unlock and because the game saved I was unable to try again (this challenge is only possible in like 3 spots in the entire campaign).

Most of the gadgets were just copies from the previous games (being the third game and a prequel, that was disappointing to me at least) and there was only about one new gadget that I actually enjoyed (
Shock Gloves
) which you get pretty late in the game.

More nitpicky, but I found that the core combat was tweaked just slightly to the point where I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous games. I think it was the enemy attack speed that was slightly sped up, so you seemed to get more easily punched in the middle of a combo compared to the previous games. But I will admit that the gadget you get later in the game (
the shock gloves
) does speed Batman up A LOT and makes you feel pretty unstoppable.

So if I HADN'T hit that game breaking glitch, I'd probably still not have liked it quite as much as the other games, but not bad on it's own. But since I DID hit that glitch, I had much more negative feelings toward it overall. I'm hopeful that if Rocksteady is making the next one they'll avoid the polish issues I had with Origins, and since it'll be their third Batman game I'm also hoping they'll do a better job of mixing things up (like how Arkham City added a new playable character/campaign with Catwoman).

RPGCrazied

Man, Arkham Batman's are getting milked! Can we at least have it on a new engine? I'll only buy it if its by rocksteady, Origins, while okay, was a buggy mess.

Joei

bad decision, Origins is a great game.

Yeah, I get confused about the people that skipped Origins. Yes, it's a lower quality game than AC, but it has, by far, the best story out of the three and a really interesting cast of characters.

That said, I'm very curious as to what the next game will be like. I think the best one is AA because of its tight focus, though I'm thinking they'll continue to make the game bigger, although that might not be smart. One of the problems I have with AO (though I did like the game) was that it had probably twice as much ground to cover than AC, but it was all so pointless. When I was doing endgame stuff, I was wandering into parts of the city that I was never in during the game, and frankly, had no use post-game. They need to go back to the AA formula and give a game with a tight narrative where the game world slowly enlarges with the story.

More glitchy than the previous games, or at least worst glitches. Had a game breaking bug where I fell through the environment and the game saved on me so there was no way to continue other than restarting (this was about 6-8 hours in for me).

Also had issues unlocking challenges once they had been performed. I did a stealth area using the 4 types of takedowns required (too me like 3-4 attempts to finally do them without being spotted), but then when I finished the mission it didn't unlock and because the game saved I was unable to try again (this challenge is only possible in like 3 spots in the entire campaign).

Most of the gadgets were just copies from the previous games (being the third game and a prequel, that was disappointing to me at least) and there was only about one new gadget that I actually enjoyed (
Shock Gloves
) which you get pretty late in the game.

More nitpicky, but I found that the core combat was tweaked just slightly to the point where I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous games. I think it was the enemy attack speed that was slightly sped up, so you seemed to get more easily punched in the middle of a combo compared to the previous games. But I will admit that the gadget you get later in the game (
the shock gloves
) does speed Batman up A LOT and makes you feel pretty unstoppable.

I have to admit, these are issues I had with the game as well. What WB did to combat did mess things up a bit. In fact, it altered the combat to the point that I didn't even want to do the challenge rooms, and I 100% them in AA and AC. But the ability you spoilered, man, I loved it. I saw a lot of hate for it in some of the threads here, but I really enjoyed it. One thing I absolutely hated was that they locked abilities behind those in game challenges. I was soooooo pissed about that.

Shinta

Banned
Yeah, I get confused about the people that skipped Origins. Yes, it's a lower quality game than AC, but it has, by far, the best story out of the three and a really interesting cast of characters.

That said, I'm very curious as to what the next game will be like. I think the best one is AA because of its tight focus, though I'm thinking they'll continue to make the game bigger, although that might not be smart. One of the problems I have with AO (though I did like the game) was that it had probably twice as much ground to cover than AC, but it was all so pointless. When I was doing endgame stuff, I was wandering into parts of the city that I was never in during the game, and frankly, had no use post-game. They need to go back to the AA formula and give a game with a tight narrative where the game world slowly enlarges with the story.
I'll get the GOTY version after a price cut. I just stay one year behind the new ones and they come out just as frequently for me. They'll probably pack in a movie too like last time, in addition to all the DLC. They already have a digital movie bundle with origins on PSN.

Besides ... I just played Blackgate.

Does Arkham Origins ever have anything to do with ARKHAM anything?

Yeah at the end it's revealed that
Arkham has been closed for many years, and Quincy Sharpe is on the radio using the incident at Blackgate to lobby for the re-opening of the Asylum to give the criminally insane the treatment they need. Hence, Arkham Origins. Also it pretty much sets up for a Suicide Squad game with Waller recruiting Deathstroke in the ending, and Deadshot and Bronze Tiger in the Blackgate spin-off.

If this game only has Bat characters I'll cry.
There's been 3 Arkham games, it's time for some Superman damn it.

I have to agree.

As soon as Sir Conroy leaked that little bit of information...it stood out when he said things like "huge cast, working on it for a while" etc etc.

It is impossible for this to NOT be a Justice League game..impossible.

KORNdoggy

...Do you NEED the, New 52 designs? I like them for other characters but for Bats? Eh.

Not necessarily, no. But something other then the designs they currently have. I'm sick of playing as a batman who looks like he can barely move due to his muscle mass. I get that he needs to be strong, but Arkham batman doesn't look agile at all.

Messi

Yeah at the end it's revealed that
Arkham has been closed for many years, and Quincy Sharpe is on the radio using the incident at Blackgate to lobby for the re-opening of the Asylum to give the criminally insane the treatment they need. Hence, Arkham Origins. Also it pretty much sets up for a Suicide Squad game with Waller recruiting Deathstroke in the ending, and Deadshot and Bronze Tiger in the Blackgate spin-off.

What about
my girl Harley Quinn. She may as well be the leader of the suicide squad. I'd love to play as her.

Not necessarily, no. But something other then the designs they currently have. I'm sick of playing as a batman who looks like he can barely move due to his muscle mass. I get that he needs to be strong, but Arkham batman doesn't look agile at all.

A suit and build more towards the Origin model would be ideal IMO.

Shosai

Banned
Arkham Knight: 2014
Arkham Returns: 2015
Arkham and Robin: 2016
Arkham Revelations: 2017
Arkham Country: 2018
Arkham Rises: 2019
Arkham Forever: 2020
Arkham World: 2021
Arkham Universe: 2022
Arkham: 2023

I've got my decade's worth of Batman games pre-ordered already!

javac

I doubt it

Not after how Arkham City and Arkham Origins sold.

But Nintendo could always pay for a port...and they seem to have a good relationship with Warner Bros. because Warner Bros. continues to support Wii U with new retail games (LEGO The Hobbit, LEGO The Movie Videogame), so there's a chance.

Yeah like you say WB seems to be cosy enough with Nintendo for such a crazy thing to happen but the sales have been really poor so it's really doubtful I guess. Even 3DS game under preformed didn't it? I'm guessing this will be PS3/4/360/One/PC.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So yeah do you think this'll have a Wii U version? I'm curious.

Considering that they cancelled the DLC for Arkham Origin and had to refund it, I really doubt it.

Aren't the Lego games release for almost all systems?

You can't just act like Origins doesn't exist. It does, and even though it wasn't made by Rocksteady, it plays mostly the same. So that makes three games in four years.

People would also prefer Rocksteady to be working on a new game for next-gen consoles.

It's not Rocksteady's fault that WB wanted to milk the franchise. They still want to tell the last part of their story.

Considering that they cancelled the DLC for Arkham Origin and had to refund it, I really doubt it.

Aren't the Lego games release for almost all systems?

Yeah, but the fact that Warner Bros. is actually releasing new retail games on Wii U in 2014 is a faint sign that they still have faith in them...even if it is only LEGO games.

KORNdoggy

A suit and build more towards the Origin model would be ideal IMO.

Origin suit felt like armour around a more agile, thinner batman. But it still ultimately felt like a re-skinning and still looks clumsy. I want a batman who looks strong, but also looks like he could do the moves he does. I just want a different looking batman. Something like the batman begins suit. Where it looks like a guy who's trained to fight. Not a guy who's trained to be bronzed up and enter a mr universe contest. Lol.

If Arkham Knight is a reference to Knightfall and the main villain is Azrael, I'm in.

Otherwise, I think I may be done with these games for a while. City was good but not as good as Asylum and the formula was getting old. I played City last December so I'll probably wait 1-2 until I play Origins.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
If Arkham Knight is a reference to Knightfall and the main villain is Azrael, I'm in.

Otherwise, I think I may be done with these games for a while. City was good but not as good as Asylum and the formula was getting old. I played City last December so I'll probably wait 1-2 until I play Origins.

Well, Arkham Origins was kind of a reference to Knightfall since it borrowed a lot of things from the Bane story arc

I really couldn't see Azrael as a main character in the game. He only was important in Knightfall and he's been dead in the comics for a long time iirc

.la1n

Conroy didn't do that good a job in the first two Arkham games. He's great in other media, but not good in this series, for whatever reason. He probably needs better voice direction. Roger Craig Smith had a much better performance in Origins.

I feel like it may have to do with him being used to playing off other voice actors in television voice roles vs reading lines by himself for video game recording. I only know he mentioned it being the case in Asylum, not sure about City.

Neoxon

I feel like it may have to do with him being used to playing off other voice actors in television voice roles vs reading lines by himself for video game recording. I only know he mentioned it being the case in Asylum, not sure about City.
He was definitely in the same room as Mark Hamill during Arkham City recording, as shown in some behind the scenes footage.

Psykoboy2

He was definitely in the same room as Mark Hamill during Arkham City recording, as shown in some behind the scenes footage.

Not always. A lot of the times for voice actors, behind the scenes video stuff are scheduled shoots. Something they arrive for specifically and not done during the actual recording of the lines....just done for a video shoot.

I hope the next Arkham is more Origins than it is City in terms of story. Arkham Origins simply nailed the tone, the pacing, the narrative. City became a clusterfuck at the ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom