• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Game Informer Cover Tomorrow [Up: Batman: Arkham Knight website semi-up]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

I hope the next Arkham is more Origins than it is City in terms of story. Arkham Origins simply nailed the tone, the pacing, the narrative. City became a clusterfuck at the ending.

Yeah but it, unlike Origins, was balancing multiple narratives. Something necessary for an open experience like City (and lacking in Origins, which had only one meaningful narrative thread, and as such suffered by feeling more linear. Perhaps more cohesive because of it). City's ending is just the repercussion of trying to resolve all of the narrative threads at once. It didn't work entirely, but it does it better than when Origins tries with Bane in the third act.

I understand why some people are tired of Batman games, but I'm not one of them.

I'm 34 years old and spent a lifetime of gaming with terrible Batman games. It broke my heart as a massive fan of the character. Sure, there were highlights. Batman on the Genesis, Batman Returns on the SNES and The New Adventures of Batman and Robin, also on the SNES. But the vast majority of games were crimes against humanity.

Arkham Asylum rekindled my interest in gaming in 2009. Not only was it a phenomenal game, but it was written by Paul Dini and included the excellent voice work of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil. Arkham City, from it's surprise reveal during the VGA's to the moment it released, topped it in every way.

I'm about a quarter of the way through Origins now. Yes, there are bugs - but the story and voicework are fantastic. There is great material there for a Batman fan.

So, tired of these games? I'm sorry to hear that.

But I spent 29 years waiting for a great Batman game and want Rocksteady to keep this train rolling as long as humanly possible.

Okay? What's wrong with a subtle introduction of another DC hero? It's not like they need to have Staring roles or anything like that. It could be a cameo or what not.

They can I suppose but how meaningful would such a cameo even be? At best it would be a hint of something to come which just means more waiting. They'd never have two hero characters fight like some suggested

El_Chino

They can I suppose but how meaningful would such a cameo even be? At best it would be a hint of something to come which just means more waiting. They'd never have two hero characters fight like some suggested
It could be a fan favor, create hype, and maybe just tease a JL game for fun (weren't there rumors about that?)

The Flash

Banned
Nope aquaman should be in it.

post-35593-you-make-me-sad-gif-Monty-Pyth-VrmD.gif

It could be a fan favor, create hype, and maybe just tease a JL game for fun (weren't there rumors about that?)

lol I guess what I mean is the appearance of some other DC hero character in a batman game doesn't bother me but I would much rather just get information on a JL or Arrow game etc.

Having both wouldn't hurt

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I understand why some people are tired of Batman games, but I'm not one of them.

I'm 34 years old and spent a lifetime of gaming with terrible Batman games. It broke my heart as a massive fan of the character. Sure, there were highlights. Batman on the Genesis, Batman Returns on the SNES and The New Adventures of Batman and Robin, also on the SNES. But the vast majority of games were crimes against humanity.

Arkham Asylum rekindled my interest in gaming in 2009. Not only was it a phenomenal game, but it was written by Paul Dini and included the excellent voice work of Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil. Arkham City, from it's surprise reveal during the VGA's to the moment it released, topped it in every way.

I'm about a quarter of the way through Origins now. Yes, there are bugs - but the story and voicework are fantastic. There is great material there for a Batman fan.

But I spent 29 years waiting for a great Batman game and want Rocksteady to keep this train rolling as long as humanly possible.

Preach.

Woah, so I guess that (semi) confirms that Azrael will be the main villain of the next game.

Really hope it pans out. Knightfall was pretty great and the ending of City was perfect to help set up events if that is what they are using as inspiration for Arkham Knight.

if I'm not mistaken; isn't the whole premise of Arkham City that your fighting these confined villains and thugs in this makeshift area or "city" because Arkham Asylum is being rebuilt after the events of the first game? wouldn't that mean Rocksteady's third Arkham game would center around Batman going back to the newly rebuilt Arkham Asylum?

don't get me wrong, based on the natural progression of the games narrative and gameplay/level design; you'd think Rocksteady would make a huge and vertical Gotham City for Batman to explore as the premise of the third game's design; rather than go back to small rooms and corridors of Asylum. but i don't see that being the case unless Rocksteady went eight generation consoles and PC only. i just can't see a fully flesh out and detailed Arkham version of Gotham City being possible on seventh generation consoles.

Tookay

if I'm not mistaken; isn't the whole premise of Arkham City that your fighting these confined villains and thugs in this makeshift area or "city" because Arkham Asylum is being rebuilt after the events of the first game? wouldn't that mean Rocksteady's third Arkham game would center around Batman going back to the newly rebuilt Arkham Asylum?

The premise wasn't that Arkham was being rebuilt; it's that they were portioning off part of the city to be Arkham from now on.

ieatzombies

I concur man.

Blader

I remember having Batman Forever on the original Game Boy...I literally never got past the first level. Ever. I think there was a ledge above an elevator door that you had to jump onto, but I could never make that jump for whatever reason.

umm shouldn't it be called Gotham Knight? Does WB know that Arkham is just the name of the asylum/hospital for mentally sick in gotham?

Arkham is the brand name name now.

Would have liked Ashes of Arkham as the title to go along with what Azrael tells you in City. Still, Rocksteady Batman has my full interest. Was kind of hoping they would be working on something else before getting to a third game but I can't help but be excited to see it. Origins, other than a great middle act and the
ending in the church with Joker
, was just okay.

HardRojo

Hopefully it's a full fledged next gen (current gen now?) game but I know they'll go cross gen for the hard-to-ignore install base.

Btw wasn't there a month long embargo about visiting Rocksteady's offices? What was that about? Embargo lifts tomorrow?

Is there any chance this new Batman game is made by the guys who made Origins for PS360 using UE3 and Rocksteady are working on a next gen only UE4 Justice League game for release in late 2015 ?.

Anyone thinking this is going to be next-gen only is out of their damn mind. No way are they skipping the PS3/360 user base with an established and successful franchise like this. That said, I hope the next gen version has some significant plusses over old gen.

I skipped Origins so I'm pumped to see some next gen, Rocksteady, Batman goodness.
Same here. Loved the first two games but just didn't have time for Origins. Looking forward to what Rocksteady has in store for us again.

sn00zer

Why cant it just be Batman: Gotham City
EDIT: Im still pumped and think the brand is "Batman: Arkham" so the games will always be "Batman: Arkham Blah"

ZeroX03

Banned
Same feelings as the Hush thread, don't mind if they take aspects of the Knightfall story, but don't need to see a full retelling of it in the game.

Would love to see the gameplay talk a good half step forward like City did and Origins didn't, and a conclusion to the 'Rocksteady trilogy', if that becomes a thing. Wouldn't be surprised if WB forced Rocksteady to keep going with Bats, but I'd love for them to have a go with other DC properties or an original IP.

To those who skipped Origins... you made the right call.

Blader

This thread is starting to remind me of TDKR title speculation from a couple years ago.

"They should just call the the third movie... 'Gotham.'"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom