• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

So, like an idiot I ordered another one of the PDP protectors, hopeful that the first one I got was bad. Nope. I admittedly suck at screen protector application, so I got my girlfriend to do it who has done this many more times than myself and she was like "this is fucking garbage."

Went ahead and did what I should've did and got the amfilm one, but leaving the PDP one on until then as its... on there, just looks like shit.

Mega

Banned
What is the hinge method? I applied my amFilm protector by bright sunlight my of window to make it easy to see dust. I kept cleaning the screen when dust would settle on it and when it seemed safe, I applied the screen protector as the instructions state. I massaged out some air bubbles with my fingers, a couple were really stubborn but got 'em out, and now it's perfectly aligned and in place without any dust/bubbles.

I'm surprised it turned out so well (practically flawless). I have screwed up applying every single kind of screen protector in the past, although those were not the glass type.

Bowl0l

Actually put my order way back in January, and it shipped on March 2nd. The dates that Amazon gives you for delivery should be a pretty good estimate (mine was between March 23-Apr 2nd).
I think Amazon estimates are misleading. My estimate is March 20 - Apr 4. It looks like they simply key in a random number for the earliest date.

Leatherface

dZ6nlOF.jpg

This has been working amazingly well for me. Excellent quality, inexpensive, and easy as hell to install. 👍

Andrea23

My experience so far...

Amfilm flawless application + 48 hours of inactivity of the console + some books/ game case as weights to allow the protector to adapt on the screen.

Today i've player for about 2 hours and the film is already melted in the lower side. Slightly but unmistakably...

Maxrunner

My experience so far...

Amfilm flawless application + 48 hours of inactivity of the console + some books/ game sleeve as weights to allow the protector to adapt on the screen.

Today i've player for about 2 hours and the film is already melted in the lower side. Slightly but unmistakably...

Damn, now i don't if i should buy from here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Protector-amFilm-Tempered/dp/B01N3ASPNV/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490226629&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=amfilmswitch

Regarding the cases which one is the RDS?

My experience so far...

Amfilm flawless application + 48 hours of inactivity of the console + some books/ game case as weights to allow the protector to adapt on the screen.

Docked or portable?

Leatherface

So the amfilm protector melts in dock mode?

I mostly play in dock mode, have over 60 hours into Zelda so far and didn't even wait a "setting" period after I applied it to the screen. I have had zero issues at all with my Amfilm screen protector. It looks and feels great.

Worst case the thing is $10 and even comes with a spare. I think it's worth the gamble.

stoke1863

i got Ozrly protector, its feels superb and actually enhances the switch.

It went on easy enough but mine is literally 1 or 2mm to far on the right, i got 0 bubles or dust so i will just live with it.

Remember people if you get bubbles while applying you have to work them out with your thumb, i spent a good 30 minutes on mine to get it perfect

The Argus

So the amfilm protector melts in dock mode?

Since applying about two weeks ago and playing Zelda primarily in dock mode, my amFilm looks brand new. I see zero wear and tare. I did let it go about 5 hours before docking it though, and about 30 before turning it on in the dock.

i got Ozrly protector, its feels superb and actually enhances the switch.

It went on easy enough but mine is literally 1 or 2mm to far on the right, i got 0 bubles or dust so i will just live with it.

Remember people if you get bubbles while applying you have to work them out with your thumb, i spent a good 30 minutes on mine to get it perfect

Yeah when I applied mine earlier I spent a good 15 minutes stroking out two bubbles using the cleaning cloth and the plastic thing, I also spent a good 5 minutes realigning the protector with stickers so it would go on straight.

My experience so far...

Damn. Guess I'll see how the Orzly holds up.

I say yes, sorry.

No need to apologize to me. That's fine, but the bulk of what I've seen shows this is not the case. Sorry if you're having the issue, but that doesn't mean that everyone does. I'm using the same protector, play my switch every day and I've had zero issues. General quality seems to be iffy though, looking at reviews, but the bulk are still really good.

Looking below, it may be worth trying a replacement if they're hook you up.

Shadouian

Neo Member
I also noticed that my AmFilm screen protector has developed what appears to be bubbles on the edges, presumably from the adhesive melting, after having it in the dock for several hours while playing Zelda. I've noticed a few people on Amazon complaining about this (and other quality issues) in their reviews and TechMatte responded back with the following message:
We're very sorry that our screen protector arrived defective, but your screen protector is covered by our lifetime replacement warranty! Please feel free to contact our customer support team by emailing support@techmatte.com with your 17-Digit Amazon Order ID, or by clicking the link below, and they will be happy to get you a free replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/cont...ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&sellerID=AG8AYSVS7E5IO

TechMatte Support

So, if you're experiencing this issue, be aware that the company seems to be offering replacements if you contact them.

VitaCat, it worked. Thank you so very much. Followed your instructions to a T and it looks pristine. I'm so happy.

Going to let it settle for 24 hrs with front backside on just to be safe.

Poppyseed

Finally applied my amFilm protector. Turned out great!

Applied mine, too. Didn't use the hinge method, but just held it over the screen and dropped it on. Went on perfectly, and absolutely zero bubbles at any point. I mean, I thought I'd done it wrong it was so peculiar. Just plopped on, and no bubbles.

chekhonte

Soooo is excess heat primarily caused by the enclosed nature of the dock not allowing the switch to dissipate heat faster than it builds or is it that the switch's cooling fan just not good enough for when it's docked and clocked at a higher rate?

I just bought a second switch for my wife. I'm thinking of cutting off the front of one of the docks to see if that allows the switch to stay cool.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Got my amFilm on. Had to use both because the first one went on fine, but there was a bit of black dust/dirt that got behind the screen. Suuuucked. Didn't notice it until I loaded up BOTW and saw it in the sky.

Second one went on great, though.

My case comes today!

j-wood

Should I be worried about my switch feeling tighter in the dock after putting on my amfilm glass protector? I had the official plastic one that came with the official nintendo case, and it fit into the dock perfectly with that.

Should I be worried about my switch feeling tighter in the dock after putting on my amfilm glass protector? I had the official plastic one that came with the official nintendo case, and it fit into the dock perfectly with that.

My dock is tighter too but not by much, it's enough to give it a snug fit instead of making it feel slightly wobbly, I would not worry about it.

By snug I mean at the bottom of the dock where the little rubber feet are, the rest of the dock is as loose as ever.

Wow guess i should go check and see whether mine started to melt too then..

Edit: looks fine.. Played about 4 hours of Zelda with it on last night, docked.

Chorazin

It's thicker than the Nintendo one so yeah, that's totally normal. Mine feels nice and snug when I dock it now!

Peltz

I got the hybrid case for when I want to carry my Switch in my coat pocket (with the joycons detached of course). It works surprisingly well. And the branding on it is gorgeous. It also comes with a Switch themed microfiber cloth that looks really great. And the material is surprisingly sturdy and well textured. It will not pick up dust or anything.

My only complaint is the way the flap dangles as you play in handheld mode.

I am not having any issues with the Velcro as some people reported, and I actually like the build quality of the case.

I'm still getting the RDS case for when I travel, but the hybrid case gets the job done for when I just want to play on short trips within walking distance.

I recommend it if you are looking for a flap/cover style solution. It will not fit within the dock however, but that's not what it's for anyway.

MutFox

Banned
Tempted to buy this COOSA screen protector off Amazon.

It's .02mm fatter than the Orzly,
and .04mm thinner than the AMfilm.

It also says it has a visual opacity of 99.9%.
Whereas the Orzly says it's 94%.
AMFILM is at 99%.

All are 9H for scratch resistance.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XPXJ1LY/

Could be a lie, has no user reviews yet.

It's also cheaper than both.

Though Orzly being thinner is probably good,
due to the dock.

Tempted to buy this COOSA screen protector off Amazon.

It's .02mm fatter than the Orzly,
and .04mm thinner than the AMfilm.

It also says it has a visual opacity of 99.9%.
Whereas the Orzly says it's 94%.
AMFILM is at 99%.

All are 9H for scratch resistance.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XPXJ1LY/

Could be a lie, has no user reviews yet.

It's also cheaper than both.

Though Orzly being thinner is probably good,
due to the dock.

Let us know how it is, if you do get it.

japtor

Looking at the link you posted I think i made a huge mistake. Hah! I like that bag a lot too. Switch should fit inside that just perfectly. Looks like itd make for a really good travel option.
Well the middle size one came in, haven't tested it much but it's a good size...I'm thinking the smaller one might be a bit too small but eh I'll just return it if I can't find a use for it. Just for a sense of scale for now, about two inches wider than the Switch, height is just enough for an iPad mini vertically. Front pockets fit the Switch tablet itself and the front front ones can fit joycons, haven't checked thickness or anything when cramming everything in but it seems pretty good on a quick glance.

Drci3sDl.jpg

Lxocc7Hl.jpg

ErbilT

Got my AmFilm protector installed. It's a little crooked, but meh. Good enough. I gave my spare to a co-worker.

Lexxism

I finally received my orzly tempered glass after a long wait. It's definitely a good one. No dust or bubbles. It was great.

Kudo

anymore impressions of the USB-C extender? This seems like to best way to avoid the stupid dock problems. Anyone have any problems keeping the extender plugged in?

I don't see how that would be better than just having a screen protector, that being said the plug has spring resistance to it so you should have to tape it down when using that, unless it might unplug it during usage.
Also if you do get one make sure the Switch itself is placed so that it is well ventilated.

M_A_C

I don't see how that would be better than just having a screen protector, that being said the plug has spring resistance to it so you should have to tape it down when using that, unless it might unplug it during usage.
Also if you do get one make sure the Switch itself is placed so that it is well ventilated.

because then you don't risk scratching the back either.

Top Bottom