• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

I don't see how that would be better than just having a screen protector, that being said the plug has spring resistance to it so you should have to tape it down when using that, unless it might unplug it during usage.
Also if you do get one make sure the Switch itself is placed so that it is well ventilated.

Yup the ventilation is a primary concern for me, if I did ever try to do something like this I would want to prop it up somehow because every time I take the Switch out of the dock that thing is hot as hell.

Cranzor

Put my third amFilm screen protector on and have one piece of dust on the screen. Ugh... I used the shower method too.

I got the Mario M starter kit for my switch. I love the case, but expectedly everything else in the box is garbage. But it's not a big deal because this case is nice and roomy for accessories

Lexxism

F34R

anymore impressions of the USB-C extender? This seems like to best way to avoid the stupid dock problems. Anyone have any problems keeping the extender plugged in?

I don't see how that would be better than just having a screen protector, that being said the plug has spring resistance to it so you should have to tape it down when using that, unless it might unplug it during usage.
Also if you do get one make sure the Switch itself is placed so that it is well ventilated.

I use a different cable, but it's the same cable... lol.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DC9DS2M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a little tight since it's only 20cm (7.8") long, but it works just fine for me. I didn't have any problems keeping a good connection going.

TheContact

Any good non tempered glass screen protectors? I don't really get the point of putting glass over glass and I've always liked the feel of the film ones better

Any good non tempered glass screen protectors? I don't really get the point of putting glass over glass and I've always liked the feel of the film ones better

The Switch has a plastic screen that's why some of us are using the glass protectors, it makes it less prone to chipping and knocks.

//ARCANUM

The Switch has a plastic screen that's why some of us are using the glass protectors, it makes it less prone to chipping and knocks.

Also, as an added benefit, it makes the switch screen nicer to touch. Much smoother with the glass.

MutFox

Banned
Anyone try both AMfilm and Orzly?
Like can you tell the difference between 94% transparent and 99.9%?
Is there a difference and is one flubbing their numbers?

Also, Orzly being .06mm thinner might be better for docking over a long period of time.

Or are they the exact same thickness + transparency,
and most likely come from the same factory?

So I just ordered the Orzly glass protector since the AmFilm one doesn't ship to Canada. I've never installed a glass screen protector before and people have mentioned the shower trick. What is that? Just installing it in a steamed up bathroom?

Lexxism

So I just ordered the Orzly glass protector since the AmFilm one doesn't ship to Canada. I've never installed a glass screen protector before and people have mentioned the shower trick. What is that? Just installing it in a steamed up bathroom?
Yeah, and use the hinge method. I never bothered with the steamed bathroom. Just the hinge method.

Lom1lo

Just applied the orzyl, worked like a charm no bubbles or dust problems. How long should it rest before I can put it in the dock again ?

Fucked up both of my 2 Orzly screen protectors while applying them. Both times 1 or a couple specks of dust manage to get it in in the less than a second that takes to remove the film from the tempered glass and drop it. And yes I was a meticulous as I could, steamed room, hinge method, clean hands, I feel like I did everything right on my end, I even tried to ignore those specks of dust, but I couldn't, they were staring right into my soul every time I was playing.
I have my AmFil screen protectors coming today or tomorrow, will try again but now I feel there is some sort of luck in applying this thing perfectly.

Zafir

Fucked up both of my 2 Orzly screen protectors while applying them. Both times 1 or a couple specs of dust manage to get it in in the less than a second that takes to remove the film from the tempered glass and drop it. And yes I was a meticulous as I could, steamed room, hinge method, clean hands, I feel like I did everything right on my end, I even tried to ignore those specs of dust, but I couldn't, they were staring right into my soul every time I was playing.
I have my AmFil screen protectors coming today or tomorrow, will try again but now I feel there is some sort of luck in applying this thing perfectly.
Yeah I agree with that.

In the past I've managed to get screen protectors on without a spec of dust using the steamed bathroom + hinge methods, but sometimes they just won't go. The Nintendo Switch was one of those times.

I've just accepted a few specs of dust under the protector. I can only see them when the background is basically all white anyway.

Fucked up both of my 2 Orzly screen protectors while applying them. Both times 1 or a couple specks of dust manage to get it in in the less than a second that takes to remove the film from the tempered glass and drop it. And yes I was a meticulous as I could, steamed room, hinge method, clean hands, I feel like I did everything right on my end, I even tried to ignore those specks of dust, but I couldn't, they were staring right into my soul every time I was playing.
Two days after installing mine i noticed a small hair on the left side but it's not annoying enough to remove the protector, it sucks but I'm going to live with it as i don't have any more alcohol rubs.

Feeroper

I used the Hori regular film protector (not the premium one) and its great. the application is very easy and I've had no issues with dust underneath, peeling or anything else at all, it has been great. I also ordered some Orzly tempered glass but when they arrive I'm just going to store them away as I'm pretty satisfied with my Hori protector so far. If I ever get another Switch down the road or something happens to this protector then Ill go to the glass ones.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Got the orzly scren protectors, to my dismay as apply them I noticed a what I thought was a hair so I removed my 1st one... 'Twas a group of scratches. I've been super careful with this thing since the day I got it easing it into the dock, keeping it in a case at all times. All for nothing. Thankfully you can't see it when screen in on but dam what a poor design.

I don't even us the dock any more, only used to to charge before since I mostly play handheld. So disappointed, never had a scratch on a device before...

Finally got my order from Orzly Canada. Just applied it using the hinge method and almost got it perfect, but there's a small hair or something at the bottom edge. I don't know if I want to tempt fate by prying up the edge to try to remove it, especially since it's not on the screen itself.

iuXpcqN.jpg

F34R

Finally got my order from Orzly Canada. Just applied it using the hinge method and almost got it perfect, but there's a small hair or something at the bottom edge. I don't know if I want to tempt fate by prying up the edge to try to remove it, especially since it's not on the screen itself.

I wouldn't bother with it.

I wouldn't bother with it.

I wouldn't either. Just let that small hair stare at you for eternity, longing to be freed from his glass prison while you enjoy the frivolous activity of video gaming.

Do we need a screen protector AND something for the dock? Or will the screen protector be fine? I ordered a screen protector, just wondering if I need a sock/tape etc for the dock.

Thanks!

I would leave it friend. I have a similar one on the other side of the Switch at the bottom and it stopped bothering me, everything else is perfect about it. P.S. I am using the amFilm

Do we need a screen protector AND something for the dock? Or will the screen protector be fine? I ordered a screen protector, just wondering if I need a sock/tape etc for the dock.

Thanks!

With a Gorilla Glass Screen Protector I would say that's all that is needed. However if you're like me and that isn't enough I would recommend the double sided tape + microfiber cloth to the front 2 bars for ultimate protection.

Thoraxes

I have a tiny tiiiiiiiny spec of dust on mine, but it's 100% imperceptible when the system is actually on and i'm using it, which is totally fantastic. I even fucked up the hinge method because the sticker came loose lol

Edit: nevermind, just rubbed it out, must've been an air bubble.

Orzly ones are great for me, and I have an extra one I can use as a backup!

Y'all are probably right. I'll just get used to my fuzzy new friend.

Pretty impressed with how thin the orzly protector is. Almost looks as though it could be part of the system itself. I didn't do an immediate before/after of the display to see how much the glass impacts the display, but it looks good regardless.

RC0101

I put on the amFilm tempered glass screen protector tonight and you can barely tell that there is a screen protector, I love it.

MutFox

Banned
Bought the Orzly screen protector, let's see how long it takes to arrive...

It won over the AMfilm due to thickness.
.06mm isn't much, but it's something.
Especially with the dock and reports of adhesive melting.

Lexxism

It's a prime eligible item. You will receive that before Friday.

japtor

I wonder if anyone has actually measured the thickness to confirm that stuff...I kinda doubt people would notice a .06mm difference.

I have been trying to give my dock a little more room and I found something that worked for me. The past week I've been sticking in 2 Switch game cases in the dock to expand it while I sleep. Not sure how permanent it is, but I can tell you my Switch definitely has a good amount of room now

MutFox

Banned
I wonder if anyone has actually measured the thickness to confirm that stuff...I kinda doubt people would notice a .06mm difference.

Also the difference in transparency is 94% or 99.9%
I don't think anyone has confirmed anything.
They're probably all from the same factory, all flubbing their numbers.

japtor

Also the difference in transparency is 94% or 99.9%
I don't think anyone has confirmed anything.
They're probably all from the same factory, all flubbing their numbers.
Yeah they're all close enough I assume they're the same.

(...except the one I got which doesn't have the curved edges like the ones being posted)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So my amFilm was fantastic for the first few days. Didn't dock it to be careful on heat, either. But after traveling with it, I'm noticing that the protector is starting to lift on the side. I think I'm going to complain and possibly refund this. I'd rather have nothing and be careful than something that does...Well, what it's doing.

Top Bottom