• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

I gave my orzly screen a check now that it's been a good week and the top right corner has slight bubbling, but not enough to ruin anything.

I think this is just how these protectors are going to end up after long use and dock heat, the newly forming bubbles are the glues bubbling up so you can't exactly push them out.

I personally don't care as long as the visible part of the screen is clean and protected.

icespide

Banned
anyone else tried one of those dock socks that people make on etsy? I've had one for a few days and like it. The fit is a bit tighter but that's unavoidable I suppose.

Effect

Came across this one yesterday and wish I had earlier. Both the same type as this but I wasted one glass. After that I found this video and then tried the hinge method with the second glass and it worked perfectly. I wish the instructions that came with the glass were clearer that this is the best method. The hinge tape is included but don't recall seeing anything on how to use them.

Before the glass came though I used the electrical tape method and that honestly worked pretty well. With that I put two strips along the parts that are pushed out a little inside the dock that would make contact with the Switch. No issues. I only got the glass just to be doubly safe.

gogogow

The Orzly instruction video shows the guy using them as hinge stickers, the amfilm does the same. That's why I tried it.

It probably doubles as hinge/dust stickers. The Amfilm one actually says "Hinge/Dust sticker". With Amfilm you get 6 of them, Orzly only gives you 2 and is only labelled as dust stickers.
Amfilm also gives you a double pack of alcohol wipe/cloth combo. Which makes sense since you get two pieces of glasses. Orzly only gives you one pack of alcohol wipe/cloth.

anyone else tried one of those dock socks that people make on etsy? I've had one for a few days and like it. The fit is a bit tighter but that's unavoidable I suppose.

I just cut out some of the white soft foamy material that comes with those tempered glass protectors. I then used double-sided tape to stick it to the guidance rails of the dock. Works great and costs nothing.

ParityBit

Okay so I watched that movie and have all my stuff, but I am still antsy about doing this.

I just got my Switch and I have the same Glass 2-pack!

sirap

Okay so I watched that movie and have all my stuff, but I am still antsy about doing this.

I just got my Switch and I have the same Glass 2-pack!

A humid environment and tape wrapped around your finger is all you need. The former will take care of any dust particles in the air, and the later is super useful for taking out any stray specks on your screen or adhesive side of your screen protector.

bobawesome

I can't very well tell people to avoid buying it since it was recalled but the Skinomi full body protector for the Switch was a disappointment. What a waste of $20. Guess I'll have to eventually just get that tacky PDP Breath of the Wild skin to protect the back of the Switch while docking it.

Seik

Banned
I think I've reached the pinnacle of being able to use the Switch without fucking it up by simply using it.

Tempered glass on the front of the Switch+ moleskin for the plastic tabs of the dock for the back because the extra thickness of the tempered glass may create pressure on the back of the Switch, I noticed a very thin hairline scratch on the back of mine so I remedied to it immediately.

Only thing is that it's quite a tight fit in the dock, but it's pretty much guaranteed to not be scratched by it now.

zdN7pdF.jpg
CVf1Arc.jpg

Nesther

I highly recommend against buying the Hori Switch case. Everytime I take my Switch out, its screen is just absolutely coated in all kinds of fabric particles. Makes just wiping it out and playing in a train or bus very difficult if you dont have a microfiber cloth with you to wipe it with. If they'd at least have supplied one with the case, it might have been acceptable.

TheContact

Bought and applied the amFilm tempered glass screen. I've typically put Zagg protection screens on my devices but I'm pleasantly surprised with the glass one. The clarity is certainly better; the only downside is it has no fingerprint protection. For a case, I got the simple softcover one from GameStop. I like it a lot. It's lightweight and has a pad to protect the screen and has a small bag for storing something and slots for the SD cards. It also came with some crappy plastic screen protector I used until the amFilm screen came in.

gogogow

I highly recommend against buying the Hori Switch case. Everytime I take my Switch out, its screen is just absolutely coated in all kinds of fabric particles. Makes just wiping it out and playing in a train or bus very difficult if you dont have a microfiber cloth with you to wipe it with. If they'd at least have supplied one with the case, it might have been acceptable.

The Hori Tough Pouch?

If people want a simple case, get the official Nintendo one. It also comes with a screen protector. I used the screen protector while waiting for the Orzly glass to arrive. The case also has a built-in stand, space for straps and gamecards. No issues with fabric particles or whatsoever. Really happy with it.

Nesther

The Hori Tough Pouch?

If people want a simple case, get the official Nintendo one. It also comes with a screen protector. I used the screen protector while waiting for the Orzly glass to arrive. The case also has a built-in stand, space for straps and gamecards. No issues with fabric particles or whatsoever. Really happy with it.

Yeah thats the one. Gonna return mine to get the one you mentioned, thanks!

shiyrley

Banned
Sorry for the quality of the pic, I'm currently using my secondary phone.
Mine doesn't lift no matter how much the Switch heats up (I play docked a lot), and that's with a bad application (Applied too much to the side, almost covered the speakers lol). Except for the little hair to the left, any dust you may see is above the screen protector, not below.

It's the amFilm one.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I bought the amFilm one and messed up the first batch. Tons of bubbles. I emailed the company and they responded in less then 5 minutes saying they would send me another batch. They recommended applying it in a steamy bathroom (I've never had to do this for screen protectors). I got my replacement batch in the mail 3 days later, did what they recommended and got the first one on perfectly.

Very impressed by their response time and customer service.

ParityBit

I bought the amFilm one and messed up the first batch. Tons of bubbles. I emailed the company and they responded in less then 5 minutes saying they would send me another batch. They recommended applying it in a steamy bathroom (I've never had to do this for screen protectors). I got my replacement batch in the mail 3 days later, did what they recommended and got the first one on perfectly.

Very impressed by their response time and customer service.

How did you keep any dust out? I tried the steam and still got some under the glass. I also used the hinge method. I just suck at doing these.

Hopping on here to say I just got the amfilm protectors and used the hinge method and it was absolutely flawless. The best screen protector application I've ever done...

gogogow

How did you keep any dust out? I tried the steam and still got some under the glass. I also used the hinge method. I just suck at doing these.

You can't. A steamy bathroom are just to minimize the dust flying around. Dust can still come from your clothing, hair etc.. Clean your screen with the alcohol wipe, then wipe it clean with the microfibre cloth. Check the screen for dust, if necessary wipe again. When it looks clean, quickly remove protector sheet and drop the glass onto the screen.

Minarik

I know this is probably really late, but I bought the AmFilm 2-pack and it's really great. For $10 I was able to protect mine and my gf's Switches, and the application stuff it comes with is nice. Only "issue" is that mine has the slightest bubble on the corner which I think I caused when peeling off the backing. The screen now feels high quality, though it did significantly increase the glare.

So I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it normal for the Switch to be super snug in the dock with the Orzly protector? I don't mind the lack of wobble but I don't want to be hurting anything.

Seik

Banned
So I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it normal for the Switch to be super snug in the dock with the Orzly protector? I don't mind the lack of wobble but I don't want to be hurting anything.

The only danger is scratching the back of your Switch.

If you don't care that's fine, otherwise I'd recommend using moleskin as my post above explains, it's super snug but it can't be scratched like that.

Jharp

How the hell are people getting their amFilm screen protectors on this thing with no air bubbles? I wiped the screen, put the protector down as carefully as possible, and I cannot get these airbubbles out with the squeeze guard. There's just too many and they're too tiny. It's definitely preferable to the screen getting scratched, so I may just deal with it. Probably can't notice them really during gameplay anyways, but man. How are you guys doing this so cleanly?

Edit: Holy christ, just realized that something went wrong with my protector, and I was placing the adhesive layer with tabs directly on my brand new switch screen, not the protector itself. I'm a dolt. Thankfully I didn't screw up my screen before turning the damn thing on. I think.

How the hell are people getting their amFilm screen protectors on this thing with no air bubbles? I wiped the screen, put the protector down as carefully as possible, and I cannot get these airbubbles out with the squeeze guard. There's just too many and they're too tiny. It's definitely preferable to the screen getting scratched, so I may just deal with it. Probably can't notice them really during gameplay anyways, but man. How are you guys doing this so cleanly?

You sure it isn't lint or dust? All air bubbles should be able to be worked out unless the adhesive is bad or something. I usually never have an problems putting screen protectors on (at least tempered glass ones) and I don't use any special method or anything. I usually just see how I'm going to position the screen, lift it up, peel the adhesive part directly above the screen, and slap it on. Apply pressure in the middle with a finger for a couple of seconds and then start to work the bubbles from inside out. The small ones can be really stubborn but it takes some patience to push it to the edge.

I've read that the Switch isn't adhesive-friendly so I'm a bit worried that the dust stickers, which I would use as a hinge, could potentially peel away the black finish. 😬

Do cases exist that have a material harder than the EVA shell stuff? Or do people consider that sufficient protection? I have the Orzly case ordered but haven't actually seen one in person yet. Going on a trip next month and while I will very much be looking after it, at the same time I don't want to worry about it too much.

sirap

I've read that the Switch isn't adhesive-friendly so I'm a bit worried that the dust stickers, which I would use as a hinge, could potentially peel away the black finish. 😬

Don't worry, as long as you're not using some crazy tape with superglue-like adhesive you won't mess the coating.

ParityBit

Okay, I just got my second pack of glass in yesterday. Tonight I am going to "try" this crap again. I have 2 attempts.

First. rip off the old glass, then try the shower again. How "damp" do you make it? Like if you were to gauge it on a mirror. Should there be ANY moisture on it? Seems like a bad idea but maybe I did not let it run hot enough.

Then I will also try the air can before dropping the hinged glass down.

F34R

Just want everyone to see how .... I can't think of a polite word for it, so after reading this you can think of something yourself.

Friend calls me up and asks how I do my screen protectors, specifically for the switch. I told him I go in the bathroom and turn on a hot shower.. then I explain the procedure for applying the protector. This is the amFilm one.

20 minutes later he called me up using some very loud profanity. I asked what the heck happened? He said he couldn't get the protector to stick with all the water on the Switch. I asked if he dropped it or something. He said it was from all the water while he was in the shower!!! OMG!!!

/end

ParityBit

Just want everyone to see how .... I can't think of a polite word for it, so after reading this you can think of something yourself.

Friend calls me up and asks how I do my screen protectors, specifically for the switch. I told him I go in the bathroom and turn on a hot shower.. then I explain the procedure for applying the protector. This is the amFilm one.

20 minutes later he called me up using some very loud profanity. I asked what the heck happened? He said he couldn't get the protector to stick with all the water on the Switch. I asked if he dropped it or something. He said it was from all the water while he was in the shower!!! OMG!!!

/end

Okay ..... ummmmm, even I am not that bad!

Btw: Yes it is your fault. You owe him a new Switch!

/end

I have never felt physical pain from reading something on the internet before until right now.

The only danger is scratching the back of your Switch.

If you don't care that's fine, otherwise I'd recommend using moleskin as my post above explains, it's super snug but it can't be scratched like that.

Thanks! Good to know. I might just steal your idea.

/end

Sorry but no way this story is true, or is it?

sirap

We live in a world where Google exists and you can search a near-endless archive of articles/videos for information in seconds. You don't even have to drive to the library and spend hours searching for the right book, shit's right there in your hand. Clearly he understands how phones function...he managed to call you...

And yet, your friend still thought it was a great idea to bring an expensive, non-waterproof piece of electronic into the shower while it's still running.

How is he still alive lol

It's very true...

lol "that sounds suspect for a £280 piece of electronic equipment, maybe I should at least check Google before jumping in the shower with it"

I was too paranoid when I first got mine to go into a steamy room so I settled for just a standard non steam dust and wipe. Thankfully it turned out almost perfectly.

Well my screen protectors said there were delivered in my box on Saturday and are nowhere to be seen. I don't know what is up with the mail delivery in my area it really really sucks.

Top Bottom