• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

Xeno_V

What´s the best method to avoid scratches at the screen but also at the back side of the Switch? I am thinking of using something like a floor protector for the dock. Is anyone using such a method? What's the best solution so far for something like this? Are there any potential flaws to this?
Will something like this get the job done?

F34R

What´s the best method to avoid scratches at the screen but also at the back side of the Switch? I am thinking of using something like a floor protector for the dock. Is anyone using such a method? What's the best solution so far for something like this? Are there any potential flaws to this?

Here's the dock I use: *** This doesn't have any internal components in it. You have to disassemble your official dock to use the parts to put in this shell ***

LINK

F34R

What's the best Switch screen protector/filter for sale on Amazon?

THIShttps://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempe...-3&keywords=nintendo+switch+screen+protector= is what I use.

Not only is the screen protector really good, the customer support is top notch. I've used TechMatte protectors for a list of devices. Never had any issues until yesterday with an iPad Mini 4 problem. I emailed them directly. They responded really fast and shipped out a replacement. The one I have on the Switch is flawless, iPhone 6, 6s, 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Pro 10.5, iPad 4, iPad Mini 2 and now 4, have all had Techmatte amFilm protectors on them.

Shizuka

THIShttps://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempe...-3&keywords=nintendo+switch+screen+protector= is what I use.

Not only is the screen protector really good, the customer support is top notch. I've used TechMatte protectors for a list of devices. Never had any issues until yesterday with an iPad Mini 4 problem. I emailed them directly. They responded really fast and shipped out a replacement. The one I have on the Switch is flawless, iPhone 6, 6s, 7 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Pro 10.5, iPad 4, iPad Mini 2 and now 4, have all had Techmatte amFilm protectors on them.

Just got my Switch and those screen protectors from Amazon yesterday. Those are pretty amazing, it looks great on the screen. Thanks!

F34R

F34R

I got the glass screen that everyone recommends. I also grabbed this on Monday

https://www.amazon.com/Kungber-Anti-Scratch-Nintendo-Ergonomic-Accessories/dp/B071Z96R28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502376769&sr=8-1&keywords=Kungber

WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in handheld mode. Way less hand camping.

I have that clear "case" as well, but sold under a different name. I didn't like it so much. I wasn't having issues holding the Switch to being with, so maybe that's the difference for me.

gogogow

Is there any problem if I leave the Switch docked everytime I'm not playing it? Does it run the risk of overheating?

Nope. Have been doing this since launch. I don't play in handheld mode much. I just leave it in the dock. If you are not playing it, turn it off or put it in sleep mode. Nothing will happen, won't get warm, won't overheat etc.

blakdeth

I recently picked up a Switch, and upon un-boxing, I noticed a tiny nick near the edge of the screen. We're talking pin-sized small here. I haven't set up the Switch yet, so I don't know if there are other problems.

Do you think the presence of this nick alone is worth a return? Normally, I expect electronics to come in perfect condition, but given the difficulty of finding a Switch (a two hour round-trip drive for me), should I just live with it?

Thank you for the advice.

Kawika

I recently picked up a Switch, and upon un-boxing, I noticed a tiny nick near the edge of the screen. We're talking pin-sized small here. I haven't set up the Switch yet, so I don't know if there are other problems.

Do you think the presence of this nick alone is worth a return? Normally, I expect electronics to come in perfect condition, but given the difficulty of finding a Switch (a two hour round-trip drive for me), should I just live with it?

It will never not bother me. If you intend on getting a "New" Switch when they do the upgrade in 2-3 years I would be ok. If you never plan on selling it. Exchange it or have Nintendo Fix it for you via customer service.

wilflare

ordered a Switch when it went on Amazon.
- thinking of getting a glass SP (i understand it's either amfilm or orzly?)
- thinking of getting the Waterfield CitySlicker to go along with it.

brad-t

csZbAV1.jpg

I got these joycon thumb grips from Skull & Co. and really like them. You can stack two of them on top of each other, as I've done on the left joycon, which makes it significantly more comfortable and precise to use. Unfortunately trying to do that on the right joycon made it very difficult to press the face buttons, but the smaller grips are still a big improvement.

I was surprised by some of the hyperbolically positive reviews on Amazon but now I get why.

Marker007

It will never not bother me. If you intend on getting a "New" Switch when they do the upgrade in 2-3 years I would be ok. If you never plan on selling it. Exchange it or have Nintendo Fix it for you via customer service.

I would talk to Nintendo's Repair center about getting it fixed. They are super helpful and if you let them know it was broken upon purchase they might comp you a new screen and or Switch in place.

BorntoPlay

i have the same problem, but i am from Venezuela so dont know if they can fix it, it was buyed from amazon.com

Is there a tpu case for just the tablet itself, minus joycons that can still be docked?

Looking to protect the backside from scratches. My screen is luckily already protected.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm going to highly recommend the Splatoon 2 hybrid case. You can buy a USB C extension cable and "dock" your Switch without the dock, just with a cable. Like this:

dUrODxzl.jpg

902CyOKl.jpg

It's a great looking case too! It has an adjustable kickstand built in, which is nice to always have when you're carrying it around!

dSOJr2pl.jpg

9GCksIDl.jpg

ym0djfxl.jpg

AEREC

Just get a USB-C extender so you dont have to even put it in the dock.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073JJB3DB/?tag=neogaf0e-20

oti

Banned
Found some really nasty scratches on my screen the other day. I put a screen protector on (the one that came with the official case) the oment I got the Switch but I wanted to know for sure, so I took it off. The scratches aren't on the screen fortunately. Then I put on the amFilm protectors on (screwed up the first) but now there's a tiny scratch on the upper left corner and I have no idea where that came from. It's not on the screen itself, it was perfect when I put on the glass protector. I think I can live with it for now, but I've already ordered another 2-pack of amFilm protectors in case I want to get rid of the tiny scratch.

But yes, my dock totally scratches the Switch just like those pictures in that thread.

BraXzy

You lay the protector on the screen, put the stickers on the edge of protector, and on back of device, creates a hinge, like a book that can open close.

example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMyZd4W2vVU

the hot water trick for that. Go into the bathroom, turn the hotwater on, create a steam room. Done.

I tried all of this back when I put mine on and after attempting it three times never nailed it.

The hinge method didn't work for me, the tape wouldn't hold and the screen would start to roll off :(

F34R

I tried all of this back when I put mine on and after attempting it three times never nailed it.

The hinge method didn't work for me, the tape wouldn't hold and the screen would start to roll off :(

Sometime you just get unlucky. Both methods have been really good to me lol,.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm going to highly recommend the Splatoon 2 hybrid case. You can buy a USB C extension cable and "dock" your Switch without the dock, just with a cable. Like this:

https://i.imgur.com/dUrODxzl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/902CyOKl.jpg[It's a great looking case too! It has an adjustable kickstand built in, which is nice to always have when you're carrying it around!

https://i.imgur.com/dSOJr2pl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9GCksIDl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ym0djfxl.jpg]

Just gotta say thanks for recommending the case and extension cable. Both have come in super handy and I can't wait to for the Splatoon joy cons to be available separately since they'll go perfect with the case.

LaNaranja

I originally had purchased a Zelda case for the Switch (this one) but I didn't like the zipper and how it was just basically loose in there. It was time consuming to take out and didn't feel like it offered much protection so I decided to look for a simple slip in/slip out case. I ended up finding this cool looking Byte and Barq one inspired by the characters in ARMS on Etsy and I love it.

I'm personally not super invested in keeping my Switch in 100% pristine condition and was just looking for something to offer modest cover as I throw it in a backpack or whatever and this one did the trick and looks cool too. The seller has other designs too if ARMS isn't your thing.

Jelle

I took the plunge today of replacing my standard plastic screen protectoor with an Orzly tempered glass one. I used the hinge method as well in a steamy bathroom. My heart was racing, haha. End result is perfection. Very happy with it.

36191431253_300953dd2a_b.jpg

36828730752_8bddab1228_b.jpg

36191433953_59936c9264_b.jpg

Anyone know of a Switch game card case that holds your game cards snug but not too tight so you dont have to fight the case to get a card out?

The current Hori and PDP ones have this problem, as do the similar knock offs on Amazon.

It would be nice if Nintendo made a 18-24 Switch card case ala the 3DS ones.

Persona7

Banned
Yeah the hori cases suck. Even the 3DS ones. They snap in easily but require too much pressure to remove.

I saw a few game cases on etsy and I might look into one of those.

So I noticed some small splotches on my Switch screen. I used a microfiber cloth to clean the screen but there's still some splotches. Anyone got a surefire cleaning solution that's Switch approved.

TheBear

Can anyone recommend a good case for commuting? I have a good hard shell zip case for travelling but it's a bit cumbersome for pulling out on the bus quickly.

Cheers

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Got my Switch in today and applied the amFilm screen protector. Did it in the bathroom after showering and using the hinge method. Turned out 99.9% great except for a single piece of dust that found its way underneath the protector on the very top left of the bezel:

I considered trying to get the dust out but it's so minor that I didn't want to risk lifting the protector only to allow more dust to make its way onto the screen. I'm going to call this one a win.

Letting the protector set for the next ~24 hours and will finally test out my brand new Switch tomorrow night.

Top Bottom