• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

MattAces

Dark Eclipse new trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0ydIKCWIRk

20170921-darkeclipse-02.png

20170921-darkeclipse-05.jpg

20170921-darkeclipse-09.jpg

black070

Just keep to play until you start to find weapons... then it will be less scary. The first part is the scariest because you can just run, but when you can finally fight enemies it become more bearable.
It's really fantastic in VR, best experience for me so far. Also is a very nice game.
I think the survival part is the best (so until you got too many weapons), thx god it's not only on the start of the game (not going to spoil).

Also... Bought Superhot VR, I plan to try this and Rigs this weekend! Going back to VR! :D
The parts where you're just wandering around in an extremely realistic depiction of what feels like the worst house on the planet are scary. Movies just don't do that kind of scene justice. It feels like you're there, and that's a situation you would never actually want to be in.

Honestly, once you're actually confronting the action and the gore, it becomes less frightening. More disgusting, but less frightening. Press on!

On one hand, its exhilarating as hell - the sound design and visuals are almost masterful in sucking you in, but on the other hand.. it is freaking me the hell out lol. This is my first ever playthrough of the game, so I have no idea what to expect, which just makes it all the more scary. I literally just paused it at the end of the first videotape, the fact that it looks and feels so real doesn't help. A few deep breaths and I'll try pushing through a little more.

This has honestly sold me on VR as the definitive experience.

black070

Just an update on Resident Evil 7, I've somehow made it over an hour in - its so damn good ! Is there anything else of this calibre available for PSVR ?

MattAces

Just an update on Resident Evil 7, I've somehow made it over an hour in - its so damn good ! Is there anything else of this calibre available for PSVR ?

Farpoint with Aim.

There's a lot of smaller great games, I would say Statik is among the best.
The top 3 PSVR games for many people are usually Farpoint, RE7 and Superhot.

cakely

Have you tried Arkham VR? It's a much smaller game, with a much smaller scope but I really loved it.

black070

Farpoint with Aim.

There's a lot of smaller great games, I would say Statik is among the best.
The top 3 PSVR games for many people are usually Farpoint, RE7 and Superhot.
Have you tried Arkham VR? It's a much smaller game, with a much smaller scope but I really loved it.

Sweet, I've only tried Superhot out of those and really enjoyed it - will have to give the rest of them a go, thanks for the suggestions. Batman VR and Farpoint in particular look right down my alley.

Champloo4

It supports free movement.

They are still showing the same demo from when they announced it which was made to be as easy as possible to get into for the 15 minutes the press gets with it.

The actual game is going to be the full Skyrim game with multiple locomotion options.

Awesome. Thank you for clarifying!

BlackAlbatross

Neo Member
I can't decide between Solus and Superhot.
Solus really really interests me, but if there's even a small chance of getting a patch with better controls and/or resolution on Pro I'd rather wait.
Superhot seems to be loved by everyone, but iirc it needs a lot of space to move? That may be a problem...

I can't decide between Solus and Superhot.
Solus really really interests me, but if there's even a small chance of getting a patch with better controls and/or resolution on Pro I'd rather wait.
Superhot seems to be loved by everyone, but iirc it needs a lot of space to move? That may be a problem...

I have both and enjoy both for very different reasons. Superhot has the whole get better aspect of gaming down where puzzles are a form of combat and spatial awareness which is a lot of fun, it's very physically active and the main game is short but really just the tutorial for all the different modes so you will get more out of it if you are prepared to challenge yourself. The Solus Project which I think I'm about half way through is atmospheric and captures exploration and mystery perfectly as you explore an alien planet, which is sort of like 80's adventure movies and borrows many elements from horror movies but not in a way to make you scared though it can be very creepy at times. I watched a review where it mentioned the first season of Lost and that is very apt, you are stranded and some weird shit is going down that gets your attention but then the exploration is more The Goonies/Indiana Jones.

SomTervo

The best swords in VR are in Raw Data and Sairento.

Hi, thank you for answering directly to my post. Saddly I have the problem that matt mentioned in his post. I tried to switch to vr mode for ~15-20 times, redownloaded the game, played the non vr mode for a few minutes to create a save game, started the console again and so on. So far nothing did help. I hope this is not a common problem, game really looks great and I hope it will work for me soon.

EDIT: It works! May post some impressions soon.

Good to hear re the edit - interesting re your and Matt's experiences. The game is crashing on PSVR launch?

The Solus Project which I think I'm about half way through is atmospheric and captures exploration and mystery perfectly as you explore an alien planet, which is sort of like 80's adventure movies and borrows many elements from horror movies but not in a way to make you scared though it can be very creepy at times. I watched a review where it mentioned the first season of Lost and that is very apt, you are stranded and some weird shit is going down that gets your attention but then the exploration is more The Goonies/Indiana Jones.

Glad you're enjoying it and well spotted on the LOST love

Higgy

Barely got to the house in Resident Evil 7 and had to turn it off. Felt sick and was getting super hot. Sucks I really want to play it in VR. :(

Barely got to the house in Resident Evil 7 and had to turn it off. Felt sick and was getting super hot. Sucks I really want to play it in VR. :(

The first few times was a bit rough, especially the Beginning Hour demo they released for VR prior, but I built up a tolerance the more you play. I could only handle 10-15 minutes at a time before.

The comfort settings where you have grid lines to focus on and degree turning really helps.

Joystick

As per the video in my previous post "Polish Paul VR Your PSVR dude" reports that Anyone's Diary could be coming to PS VR. It's on Vive and the dev's have reportedly said that they want to bring it to PS VR and have applied to the Spanish PlayStation Talents developer program.

https://youtu.be/aNbmVikxW8o?t=1m41s

So I played Bloody Zombies PSVR at Eurogamer's EGX today and really loved it. Will definitely be buying this one.

I wasn't sure about it when I first saw it, a 2D beat em up VR game sounds an odd fit for VR but it totally works and is very cool. The VR gives the characters a flat paper look, a bit like Paper Mario style, while the level are 3D, it looks great.

The gameplay is great too, very Streets of Rage. Combat has your typical standard attacks, jumping attacks, launch attacks for juggling combos and special moves that are pulled off with D-pad and button combos, similar to how Street Fighter specials work. New moves can be unlocked as you progress and moves have various levels to upgrade too, so it has some depth to it. Plus it's 4 player co-op, 1 VR player and up to 3 on the TV, so it's a great multiplayer game.

I also got to play Shooty Fruity on the Vive (they didn't have the PSVR version at the show) but I see no reason why the PSVR version shouldn't be identical. A mix of Job Simulator and a shooter, it's a lot of fun trying to scan items at the checkout, while defending the checkout from hordes of crazy mutant fruit.

Played the demo for The Inpatient at EGX yesterday.

Visually it was pretty nice. It's instantly recognisable as part of the Until Dawn ROB world. Character models are well done, with great facial details and animations. Just background details suffer the usual shimmering we've become used to.

First part of the demo consisted a series of decisions on how to answer questions. Later in the game you're give full locomotion around a room using just PS Moves. Although the movement worked well, the hand tracking was all over the place, making it really hard to pick up objects. As a PSVR veteran I know these are issues that can usually be resolved, but not a great impression for any first time users.

It was a slow paced experience overall, without a huge amount to do, but I think the narrative and atmosphere will be solid enough to deliver a satisfying experience in the final game.

16BitNova

Just tried Rush of Blood for the second time. But this was the first time doing it while being alone in the house. At 4 am. Oowee. That shit is frightening. I was relieved at the spider level. Because the level before that with the fast twitchy lady nearly made me call it quits for the night. Man. So good. I cant wait for my first RE7 run.

MattAces

A Park confirmed for December release!
Ark*

21617837_1934637116753573_7088169782804291802_n.png

ARK Park will support both controller and PlayStation Move, and supports English, Chinese, and Japanese voiceover and subtitles. ARK PARK also features online play for an exciting online multiplayer experience.

Some of the game highlights include:
10 Gorgeous Maps: Freely traverse a grand virtual world without restrictions. Explore a wide variety of distinctive primal environments solo or with a group of friends. Each map features its own unique experience, challenges, and hidden easter eggs.

Gene Collection: Visitors to ARK Park collect ‘Gene Fragments' from the creatures they encounter during their excursions. These fragments can be used to unlock new crafting blueprints or even entirely new maps. Collecting them all will require a combination of puzzle-solving logic, quick reflexes, a trained eye, and careful resource management to bag the genes from the rarest and most prized creatures.

Dinosaur Breeding: Collect and incubate eggs to raise your own little dinosaurs! Gather food to keep them satisfied, and watch them grow into massive, earth-shaking dinos. Nothing beats the feeling of going for a ride on your dinosaur when it finally reaches adulthood.

Battle Mode: With friends by your side, defend your base from rampaging dinosaurs with weapons that you forge yourself during your exploration of the park. Strategically choose your weapons from a selection of melee, ranged, and specialized combat items to conquer each level.

Multiplayer Tours: Explore with your friends, and capture your memories using a virtual camera! Excursions throughout the park are much more exciting when players can brainstorm ideas and search for hidden easter eggs together.

Planet

A Park confirmed for December release!
Sounds even more amazing than the trailer already implied. Also confirms that it is indeed still the exploration thing the very first teaser seemed to hint at, while also featuring a shooting gallery. As an included action multiplayer mode, it sure is welcome, as long as the other part is well done.

I still remain sceptic because of the name, but I heard they have basically nothing to do with that Survival Evolved abomination. Hopefully they don't squander the huge potential of this.

MattAces

Sounds even more amazing than the trailer already implied. Also confirms that it is indeed still the exploration thing the very first teaser seemed to hint at, while also featuring a shooting gallery. As an included action multiplayer mode, it sure is welcome, as long as the other part is well done.

I still remain sceptic because of the name, but I heard they have basically nothing to do with that Survival Evolved abomination. Hopefully they don't squander the huge potential of this.

It's developed and published by Snail Games. Studio Wildcard are just the creative consultant, a.k.a borrowing dinosaur assets to them.

philm87

I love Ark Survival Evolved. Far from an abomination.

Felensis

Banned
Gallery and Raw Data are looking great!

Yesterday I've got Lost Bear and started it. Very charming in terms of graphics and sound, but also the VR factor is great even though you're basically the audience in some kind of theater. Gameplay is comparable to Limbo or Inside and thus surprisingly challenging with lots of unforgiving deaths. That's ok, but loading times for a respawn are a no-go. I hope they improve them with a patch. Game itself is great and I can recommend it safely!

Yesterday I tried RE7 for the first time in VR and even though I've finished it earlier this year without VR it scared the shit out of me. Luckily no motion sickness here. Graphics and controls are unbelievably good, a masterpiece. Can't wait to finish it once again and this time even in it's final form :D

On a sidenote I can highly recommend the free music experiences "The Chainsmokers Paris VR" and "Joshua Bell". Both are incredibly well done and worth the short, but free ride!

ffvorax

Sweet, I've only tried Superhot out of those and really enjoyed it - will have to give the rest of them a go, thanks for the suggestions. Batman VR and Farpoint in particular look right down my alley.

Batman VR is short, but if you like batman is a great experience, really!

Out of these kind of games I actually enjoyed also Robinson The Journey, but just because I love dinosaurs, it's not so good after all... still I don't consider it terrible as someone say

Raw Data looks fantastic! :O (hope will be like this on the PSpro!)

EDIT:
I played RE7 all in VR the first time, and after tried without... its not even comparable... RE7 has to be played first in VR if possible! Good luck! :D

Planet

I love Ark Survival Evolved. Far from an abomination.
I meant that primarily for the technical implementation, worst performance / resolution of any PS4 (Pro) game without looking really nice, runs like shit on PC too, features a ton of ridiculous bugs and so on. You just can't have such bad coding in a PSVR game, but as I said, thankfully they seem to have very few ties.

RavageX

Have any of you made a japanese account and tried the vr games there? There seems to be several we dont have. Curious to see what the word is here.

MattAces

Info on DWVR from dev.
After quite a bit of a delay, given that we didnt know how long the publishing process would take, we release on PSVR.
The PSVR version runs at 90 fps on PS4 pro, and at 60 on the base machine. The graphics are the same as the PC version.
The release date is supposed to be this 26th, but there is still a bit of uncertainty so ive decided to not put it public until its 100% sure. If the 26th release date is missed, then October 3rd will be the release date. This for the USA release. The europe release needs PEGI review wich takes time and a lot of money. This will make the game release delayed in europe. The price will be 15 dollars, same price as in Steam.
Game lets you teleport around at high speed with the moves, and if you play with AIM or with dualshock (yes, it does support dualshock), then it lets you use smooth movement alongside allowing teleport too, i posted a video about that implementation a while ago here.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The first few times was a bit rough, especially the Beginning Hour demo they released for VR prior, but I built up a tolerance the more you play. I could only handle 10-15 minutes at a time before.

The comfort settings where you have grid lines to focus on and degree turning really helps.

The grid lines and training wheels for RE7 actually made things worse for me.

Top Bottom