• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

KodMoS

Banned
This is further complicated by the police who corrected witnesses saying they heard a young man cry for help (Trayvon). Police corrected them telling them it was Zimmerman crying out not Trayvon.

This eye-witnesses was interviewed by a News Reporter days after this event took place. If he believed he was being corrected by the police, he would have gave a totally different interview.

FStop7

Banned
Not that I would personally advocate this, but...

If Zimmerman does not even get charged then it will be easy enough for someone else to manipulate the system in the same way to kill him. Prison may literally end up being the safest place for him to be.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
No one rioted when he walked free.

oj-simpson-smiling-murder-trial.jpg

1439515-0330chewbacca_super.jpg

people that were upset about it could've rioted

Korey

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/23/justice/florida-teen-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

"But my main message is to the parents of Trayvon," Obama said.

"I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americas are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves and we will get to the bottom of exactly what happened," he said.

Good that it's on Obama's radar now. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll actually have a resolution to this whole thing.

Not that I would personally advocate this, but...

If Zimmerman does not even get charged then it will be easy enough for someone else to manipulate the system in the same way to kill him. Prison may literally end up being the safest place for him to be.

As a father if this were my son. I'd definitely find a way to kill him.

His trial wasn't predicated on racial profiling or stereotyping. If you really want to get into it, there was a racist cop handling evidence on top of that.

Thanks for showing us what your true perspective is though.

he still did it, tho. lol

When did Casey Anthony admit to killing caylee?
the same day Zimmerman plans on admitting to murdering Trayvon in cold blood.

the post was in response to the suggestion that murders never get convicted. Naturally, I don't give to shits if you think Casey and OJ are innocent. I think they both got away with murder, and the former did so here in Florida, hence my post.

Zimmerman certainly could as well.

Will there be satisfaction if he only charged with manslaughter an not murder?

I honestly think manslaughter would only apply if he could prove everything went down as he says it did. AT MINIMUM he is guilty of manslaughter, but more likely with the evidence that has come out he'll be charged with 2nd degree murder.

AiTM

Banned
His trial wasn't predicated on racial profiling or stereotyping. If you really want to get into it, there was a racist cop handling evidence on top of that.

He said he would never get off, and I posted an example. My true perspective? I suppose you wouldn't say that if OJ was white and I posted it, and I have a hard time believing you would even be in this thread as much if Zimmerman were black and the kid was white.

How about your "true perspective"

he still did it, tho. lol

one of the all time great debates of the barbershop!

He said he would never get off, and I posted an example. My true perspective? I suppose you wouldn't say that if OJ was white and I posted it, and I have a hard time believing you would even be in this thread as much if Zimmerman were black and the kid was white.

How about your "true perspective"

Except that there hasn't been a thread on gaf where this has occurred, and in my post history I've objectively condemned overzealous and corrupt behavior of police, irrespective to race. Justice is justice, if a black wannabe neighborhood watch captain gunned down a white child in a black neighborhood for carrying skittles, and the overwhelming black police force ignored evidence, corrected witnesses and had a police chief as incompetent as fucking mayonnaise, I damn sure wouldn't be highlighting the anomaly of a wintness in the abudance of evidence on how Black Zimmerman could've been defending himself as you and others have done.

Damn, that even sounds sad as a hypothetical scenario and here in this very thread we have you and others actually animating it.

Jangocube

Banned
people that were upset about it could've rioted

There is a time and place for rioting. Most riots nowadays are stupid. It's usually just stupid sport fans or, well, when people don't get there way when a court hearing that holds absolutely no precedent over their life doesn't go the way they want it to go.

If people riot over this case, it will be among racists and idiots. I just hope they don't do too much damage to normal people's, of all races, live's and belongings.

I'm really bothered that there has been so much argument over this situation.

I mean I'm disappointed. Genuinely disappointed. Disappointed in a lot of people. I guess I feel that way because this should be an open an shut matter, and yet it's being treated as some kind of exercise in theory by those whose motives make no sense unless they are simply closeted racists. That's what disappoints me.

Zimmerman carried a gun while out on "patrol." That alone sends up about a dozen red flags. I believe in gun ownership and I believe in concealed carry. But absolutely not in a situation like this. What this clearly says to me is that Zimmerman regularly went out and sought confrontation. The complaints of aggressive behavior by his neighbors and the evidence in this situation drive the fact home. He even disregarded the 911 operator's directions not to pursue. The guy was literally out looking for fights. He wanted to fulfill a desire.

From the very beginning Zimmerman was on the offensive. This is why he should not have been carrying. His mindset was 180 degrees wrong.

Zimmerman aggressively pursued another man, cornered him, confronted him, and then when the man defended himself Zimmerman got what he wanted: an opportunity to use the gun he was carrying, and he killed Trayvon Martin in cold blood. That's murder. End of story. Everything else is window dressing and hand waving.

The hand wavers keep talking about stand your ground, stand your ground. Trayvon Martin had just as much a right to stand his ground. He was the one being harassed, pursued, and confronted by a stranger.

For the hand wavers who keep quoting the text of the law: This is not how our system works. If all we did was recite code, verbatim, there would be no need for a judicial system. The law is interpreted and applied differently in different situations. Any prosecutor who doesn't put this case in front of a grand jury is a coward or more likely has an agenda.

Quoted for truth. After you get over the rage (I was enraged, anyway), then it's just depressing, and compacted by the fact that people are actually trying to play devil's advocate.

Bolded for emphasis, because that's the bottom line.

I disagree. This case was racially charged from the get go. Not only did you have a racist cop mishandling evidence, but it was in a case involving a black man killing two white people. One of whom he's been charged with domestic abuse with. The media attention was primarily focused on race. That's why jury selection took as long as it did and the selection of Judge Ito as well. Not to mention this is 4 years after the Rodney King beating/riots. This case was swimming in racial profiling/stereotyping.

That's nice. What subsection applies to what Zimmerman did?

(Note: Since this is the first time I'm replying in this thread, let me make clear that I'm in no way defending Zimmerman, he seems like a wannabe cop with delusions of authority who murdered an innocent kid, but just because he's guilty of murder doesn't mean we can just throw any old law at him.)

I honestly think manslaughter would only apply if he could prove everything went down as he says it did. AT MINIMUM he is guilty of manslaughter, but more likely with the evidence that has come out he'll be charged with 2nd degree murder.

Problem is that the prosecution would have to prove it didn't go down the way he said it did. He doesn't technically have to prove anything.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Zimmerman aggressively pursued another man, cornered him, confronted him, and then when the man defended himself Zimmerman got what he wanted: an opportunity to use the gun he was carrying, and he killed Trayvon Martin in cold blood. That's murder. End of story. Everything else is window dressing and hand waving.

That's the question, do you go for the murder charge,which will be VERY hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to a jury given known evidence, or go with manslaughter, which has a better chance of getting a conviction?

I disagree. This case was racially charged from the get go. Not only did you have a racist cop mishandling evidence, but it was in a case involving a black man killing two white people. One of whom he's been charged with domestic abuse with. The media attention was primarily focused on race. That's why jury selection took as long as it did and the selection of Judge Ito as well. Not to mention this is 4 years after the Rodney King beating/riots. This case was swimming in racial profiling/stereotyping.

SHE WAS HIS WIFE AND ONE POINT. MEANING THEY ACTUALLY FUCKED AND LOVED EACH OTHER AND ALL THAT GOOD SHIT

Again, OJ Simpson's trial was not predicated on RACE. The dynamics of race came from public perception and the media constantly addressing it. Trayvon's death didn't cause this outrage. The investigation thereafter or lack thereof did. Learn the difference.

SHE WAS HIS WIFE AND ONE POINT. MEANING THEY ACTUALLY FUCKED AND LOVED EACH OTHER AND ALL THAT GOOD SHIT

Again, OJ Simpson's trial was not predicated on RACE. The dynamics of race came from public perception and the media constantly addressing it. Trayvon's death didn't cause this outrage. The investigation thereafter or lack thereof did. Learn the difference.

I assume you're trying to say that the crime itself was not predicated on race (ie, OJ didn't kill her because he woke up and realized she was white after thinking she was black all this time). Because the trial (the investigation and police conduct) was very much predicated on race.

KodMoS

Banned
You posted one uncorroborated witness testimony (and being fair they all are at this point) compared to all the objective evidence being reported to the contrary. While I acknowledge that all witness testimony will have to be vetted with due process, you have multiple witnesses painting a similar picture of Zimmerman being the aggressor along with the mountain of facts established, and you chose to take on the cause of one witness, who may or may not have been tampered with or 'corrected'. Why?

There's something very troubling about that. There's something troubling about being so afraid to call an injustice, injustice in fear of there not being absolute truths we will never have in this case. It leads me to believe you have a cause. I certainly do. My cause is seeing a man who profiled and killed a child minding business his arrested and tried, as it clearly wasn't self defense under any definition of the law. Being a black man I've been unreasonably profiled myself countless times and this case is a logical extension of the experience I and others have dealt with to which many "devil's advocates" in this thread could never relate. What's yours?

Here's the difference between the witnesses; only one person can confirm who was crying that night. If the other Witnesses testify in front of the jury, they cannot confirm it was Trayvon's voice, and that's a real important factor in this case. A jury will most likely side with the witness who actually saw who was crying.

Now does this mean Zimmerman deserved to shoot Trayvon? Absolutely not.

Zimmerman was the obvious aggressor that night when he was in pursuit of Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman cornered then Martin which resulted in an altercation. Trayvon was in obvious fear for his life because he was being followed by a man that did not look like cop, but a man that looked kill him.

A 13 year old boy Witnessed an altercation, but they he saw them separated on the ground. Is possible that Zimmerman was crying after Trayvon got the upper hand in the alteration, which resulted in Trayvon's death.

Here's the difference between the witnesses; only one person can confirm who was crying that night. If the other Witnesses testify in front of the jury, they cannot confirm it was Trayvon's voice, and that's a real important factor in this case. A jury will most likely side with the witness who actually saw who was crying.

TRAYVON'S.
MOTHER.
RECOGNIZED.
HER.
SON'S.
SCREAMING.
VOICE.
ON.
THE.
RECORDING.

Let's not forget this basic reality. The audio recordings are quite clear.

LilZippa

Except that doesn't consider the fact that Zimmerman was the initiator. He was following Martin around with his car and initiated contact while armed. Martin was half his size and unarmed, he was not a serious threat to Zimmerman.

This is the whole problem. How can anyone say that this guy was standing his ground.

squidyj

Isn't it racist to assume there would be race riots? How about some peaceful calls to action and some marches, with a large grassroots concerted effort to reform some of the racist practices of the judicial system.

Well as long as they don't start putting Do the Right Thing back in theatres, I think we'll be okay on the rioting front.

Zimmerman was the obvious aggressor that night when he was in pursuit of Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman cornered then Martin which resulted in an altercation. Trayvon was in obvious fear for his life because he was being followed by a man that did not look like cop, but a man that looked kill him.

A 13 year old boy Witnessed an altercation, but they he saw them separated on the ground. Is possible that Zimmerman was crying after Trayvon got the upper hand in the alteration, which resulted in Trayvon's death.

I'll take the woman who actually birthed the child's word that it is her son's voice over a 13 year old that again, may or may not have been corrected as reported others may have been.

No grown ass man screams like that under duress. Those are the screams of an adolescent. The sheer delusion and the fact that you continue to hang on to this thread of a 'possibility' tells me all I need to know about your perspective, and it's really sad.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Did he walk up to them? Did he know their voices from one another? How can he confirm it if he was what, 30, 40 feet away and they were locked together and it was dark and raining? What kind of hearing/eye sight combination does he have? for all intents and purposes, unless he was physically a few feet away to see the sound coming out of someone's lips, it's really hard to tell the voice difference between two people you've never met, who are in the rain many meters away from you.

What -needs- to hopefully happen is some sort of CSI shit where they can match up the voice digitally.

KHarvey16

TRAYVON'S.
MOTHER.
RECOGNIZED.
HER.
SON'S.
SCREAMING.
VOICE.
ON.
THE.
RECORDING.

Let's not forget this basic reality. The audio recordings are quite clear.

Do you think federal investigators should complete their analysis of the audio? In other words, are you sure that's him only in the context of this discussion on GAF or do you feel it's obvious enough that no further analysis would be required to stand up in court?

Do you think federal investigators should complete their analysis of the audio? In other words, are you sure that's him only in the context of this discussion on GAF or do you feel it's obvious enough that no further analysis would be required to stand up in court?

Basically you're asking if he's in your mind completely biased and closed to any other scenario other than it being trayvon's voice. Man up and ask the fucking question man. Why patronize?

You know what I think? I think I'm not going to waste my time entertaining conversation with you. Don't ask me stupid questions and maybe I'll discuss something with you.

stupei

Geraldo lives in Brooklyn, New York. Do gangs wear hoodies there?

Since nobody ever answered your question: pretty much ever type of person wears hoodies here. It's a pedestrian city where you are constantly on the sidewalk and people don't like getting rained on or cold while they move from place to place. That's another thing that makes Geraldo's bullshit so outrageous: he lives in a city where a wide range of people often wear hoodies, not just "ghetto wannabes." Shit, Brooklyn is FILLED with hoodie wearing hipsters with ironic shit on the front.

KHarvey16

I think I'm not going to waste my time entertaining conversation with you. Don't ask me stupid questions and maybe I'll discuss something with you.

How is that a stupid question? Do you think anything is gained by federal investigators completing their analysis of the various pieces of audio?

Jackson50

Anyone blaming the victim's attire for his death are blaming the victim. Face facts.
Not necessarily. His attire may have contributed to his death to the extent that it triggered Zimmerman's prejudice. But that does not entail that Trayvon is culpable for his murder. Rather, it's a function of the prejudice evoked by seeing a young black man in a hoodie. Moreover, this is not a lesson that minorities should not wear hoodies. It's a lesson for society that our prejudices are fallacious. We should not treat a young black man differently because he's wearing a hoodie or what some deem stereotypical hood attire. The onus is not on minorities to adopt acceptable attire. It's on society to evolve.

Mr. Patch

Since nobody ever answered your question: pretty much ever type of person wears hoodies here. It's a pedestrian city where you are constantly on the sidewalk and people don't like getting rained on or cold while they move from place to place. That's another thing that makes Geraldo's bullshit so outrageous: he lives in a city where a wide range of people often wear hoodies, not just "ghetto wannabes." Shit, Brooklyn is FILLED with hoodie wearing hipsters with ironic shit on the front.

To add on to this, has he never taken a walk around a college campus during the late fall and winter?

verbum

Perhaps one good thing will come out of all this, the repeal of the "Stand Your Ground" law. I know I'm not setting foot in Florida while it is in effect. I'm spending my money somewhere else. It is a bad law, the Florida Prosecuting Attorneys Association is against it.

Florida's Republican governor, Rick Scott, announced the formation of a task force on Thursday to "thoroughly review" the law in the wake of the Martin shooting.

"Basically it's a law that fixed something that wasn't broken, and then it created a lot of problems," said William "Willie" Meggs, veteran state attorney for the 2nd Judicial Circuit in Tallahassee, the Florida capital.

"I have been an outspoken critic of the law since it came into existence and I would suspect we may be doing something about it after all the interest we're seeing in it now," he said.

According to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, at least 23 states have passed laws similar to Florida's since 2005.

Florida does not keep comprehensive records to gauge the impact of Stand Your Ground. But the St. Petersburg Times found that in the first five years after the law was enacted, "justifiable homicides" in Florida more than tripled, to more than 100 in 2010 from just over 30. The Stand Your Ground law was invoked in at least 93 cases over that time period, involving 65 deaths.

Despite assertions from supporters of the law that it has worked as a deterrent of violent crime, Dennis Henigan, a lawyer and veteran vice president of the Brady Campaign, said the state was still saddled with a "tragic record" on violent crime.

"It's quite remarkable how consistently awful Florida's record has been," Henigan said. "It takes some work to finish in the top five in violent crime among all the states every single year for the last 30 years."

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2012/03/23/us/23reuters-usa-florida-shooting-law.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&ref=trayvonmartin

Bleepey

THis whole thing about hoodies and shit reminded me of an incident that happened during my time at university.I was coming home at night with two of my housemates, black medical students, and we were about 100m from our house. Since it was freezing cold at 4AM, we all had hoods on.... We saw 3 South Asian girls who were in our year, they had turned around the corner saw us turned around the corner and no word of a lie, ran...... We saw this shit and were like, hmmm. So we went around the corner and were like, "yo it's us". So we went to try and tell them, it was us, they then ran back into our uni to escape three hooded black-youths. I had to go to my uni, swipe into it. Go to them and

Me: Hey, did you see three suspicious looking guys outside?"
Them: Yeah
Me: Two of them are outside
Them: Oh really then where's the other.....

The luck on their face when they clocked on was priceless. I took them outside and then they all loooked awkwordly at us and tried to make jokes and excuses about it. We talked about it and we were like, was it cos we were wearing hoods or was it cos we were black? There were like two other instances where i wore a hood and my friends remarked that they started getting shook. Hell i knew the skinniest, nerdiest, looking medical student. Think this:

black_man_in_glasses.jpg

This girl i know, said she was reluctant to get on a bus because he was wearing a hood. This guy was always around school, smartly dressed but when he wears a hood he goes from Carlton Banks to DMX in the blink of an eye. I am seriously reminded of the fact i can't wear hoods when out in public without knowing that being 6 foot 2 and black i will probably intimidate a shit tonne of people. The only time i can think of where i could get away with wearing a hood and not scare a person or two is if it's one with my school logo.

My little brother and i are gonna have to have a talk about this shit.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Ugh. The Geraldo quote is REALLY pissing me off.

The quote is pissing me off because it almost places blame on the victim, but the general sentiment seems to be one I would almost agree with.

If I lived somewhere where if I put a hoodie on, people would be terrified of me and I would be dealing with all sorts of problems - not even including getting my ass shot - in part because of that hoodie... well it wouldn't be worth it to me. I feel guilty saying that, but it's true, I'd rather avoid the trouble all together than make (a very important) statement.

KodMoS

Banned
I'll take the woman who actually birthed the child's word that it is her son's voice over a 13 year old that again, may or may not have been corrected as reported others may have been.

No grown ass man screams like that under duress. Those are the screams of an adolescent. The sheer delusion and the fact that you continue to hang on to this thread of a 'possibility' tells me all I need to know about your perspective, and it's really sad.

Seriously, you guys have to really think and understand what exactly is going on.

This case is going to be brought before a jury, and in most cases, a juror will favor an eye-witness testimony over someone who did not actually see the event.. Is it possible that Zimmerman was the one screaming for help because a grown man can have a high pitched voice when under distressed. You can call me all the names in the book but those are two undeniable facts that you cannot dismiss.

"It's quite remarkable how consistently awful Florida's record has been," Henigan said. "It takes some work to finish in the top five in violent crime among all the states every single year for the last 30 years."
That's some mace right there. Florida gonna florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom