• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

BigDes

Landed with my squad at the fishing pier.

All we found was a single revolver, then a dude who had apparently hoovered up all loot ran up to us and managed to die to a headshot from the revolver.

We took his loot, then his squad attacked us, then another squad attacked them, then another squad attacked that squad.

We managed to take those squads down or convince them to fuck off and then a dude with a machete ran in behind us and took us all down

We called him Conan

Aselith

I encountered a flying house today

B25EFB5D03062016D039A5C4D3225E785E084BE2

It helped me out a lot early on by watching some of the really good players like Viss, Grimmz and Ibiza just as far as seeing how they approach and deal with different types of situations, positioning for different terrain and end game circles, when to engage or not to engage a fight, awareness of where other players are or might be shooting you from when you can't initially see them etc.

I guess maybe it's just a time thing. With the time I have to watch a stream, I'd rather be playing a game. And with how important it is to listen in PUBG, I can't have a stream on in the background.

With all the recent talk about console exclusivity and whatnot, I decided to see if:

1) The game even supported a gamepad
2) And if so, are the controls any good?

The game does indeed support a gamepad, but I would not recommend using one in it's current state. The controls feel terribly slow and terribly clunky, moving around is a chore since it doesn't recognize any diagonal input on the joystick, and aiming... Well just forget about trying to hit ANYTHING.

I feel like they should start focusing on improving controller support leading up the console release. I mean, it wouldn't hurt, especially considering it's current state.

Grassy

KOBE! - https://streamable.com/q5axv

died from falling...( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That was the first rain game I've won and the second chicken dinner in the last day from a nade. Definitely worth holding onto a few nades until the very end, I think I've won 4 Solo matches with a nade now.

Also, the SKS with all attachments and 8x scope is goddamn amazing, I'm in love with it right now. The firing rate just melts people. It's almost feels too OP now.

I guess maybe it's just a time thing. With the time I have to watch a stream, I'd rather be playing a game. And with how important it is to listen in PUBG, I can't have a stream on in the background.

Yeah definitely. I've been enjoying a bit of downtime between projects for the last few months, so I've had plenty of time to chill and watch streams. I never used to watch Twitch at all or care about streamers so it's all still a bit strange to me. I've still managed to play 400+ hours of PUBG since May...I think I need to get back to work lmao.

Top 1000!

You're on the OC server too, nice. We've probably played in the same matches at sometime or another.

My in-game name is "Kool_Keith", I'll keep an eye out for you...

was top 4 right now

but my hubris made me lag on running to the circle. shame, I had a x15 scope.

I kinda dislike FPP? It's too tense and anxiety wracking.

jediyoshi

With all the recent talk about console exclusivity and whatnot, I decided to see if:

1) The game even supported a gamepad
2) And if so, are the controls any good?

The game does indeed support a gamepad, but I would not recommend using one in it's current state. The controls feel terribly slow and terribly clunky, moving around is a chore since it doesn't recognize any diagonal input on the joystick, and aiming... Well just forget about trying to hit ANYTHING.

I feel like they should start focusing on improving controller support leading up the console release. I mean, it wouldn't hurt, especially considering it's current state.

To clarify, are you actually familiar with the game's feel while playing on keyboard and mouse instead? The input device is completely irrelevant in the context of things like the pace of character actions and movement abilities.

Pikelet

On another note, i'm so tired of the loot spawn system.

Like yesterday, dropping somewhere playing duo, nothing but pistols, T1 backpacks, no scope. Bitching about it.
Next game, three 8X, three 4X, all in the same place. Well, most of the others players were the bitching ones this time i guess...
Another game, four T3 helmet in the same place... in STABLER.

This is ridiculous. How complicated is it to allocate loot evenly so everyone can have a share?
And it itsn't related to those pseudo"high rick high reward" zone.
We had entire cities for ourselves last night and found nothing but crap.
Seriously, ten minutes of looting going through EVERY bulding to find a 2X scope and uzis...

The loot spawn system is not designed with the intention to allocate loot evenly.

Randomness creates variety, which makes each game different. It gives you games where you spend half the match skulking around with only a pistol, and it also creates games where you find a Kar98 with an 8x scope right where you land.

H1Z1 KOTK is a similar game with a much fairer loot system. In KOTK you will tend to find that after a couple of minutes into a match, almost everyone is on the exact same playing field in terms of loot. I think that this is one of the key reasons why that game has significantly less replay value.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
How are people playing this at 400 DPI ?! I'm using 3000 with 50 ingame sensitivity so I can actually turn around in time before getting noscoped. Is it really a thing to swing over half your table to turn 180° ?

JDB

Banned
The loot spawn system is not designed with the intention to allocate loot evenly.

Randomness creates variety, which makes each game different. It gives you games where you spend half the match skulking around with only a pistol, and it also creates games where you find a Kar98 with an 8x scope right where you land.

H1Z1 KOTK is a similar game with a much fairer loot system. In KOTK you will tend to find that after a couple of minutes into a match, almost everyone is on the exact same playing field in terms of loot. I think that this is one of the key reasons why that game has significantly less replay value.
I mean that game has literally like 4 rifles so there's not exactly much choice
Åesop;246599916 said:
How are people playing this at 400 DPI ?! I'm using 3000 with 50 ingame sensitivity so I can actually turn around in time before getting noscoped. Is it really a thing to swing over half your table to turn 180° ?
That is stupid high. This ain't a twitch shooter.

Blizzard

Banned
I've started experimenting with toggle to walk. It's probably going to get me killed occasionally, but it's probably worth it to avoid carpal tunnel from holding down left control for long periods of time.

Javier23

Banned
Åesop;246599916 said:
I suck at multiplayer shooters despite really enjoying some of them, so it's not like I understand it, but the fact is that most pro gamers use really low DPIs. I've been using 400dpi for a while myself and after getting used to it I can definitely see why it's better. I still suck though, just a bit less.

hey guys I got a question about my pc and possible upgrades I could make to make PUBG run better.
I'am not really playing any other games and I dont reallly wanna build a new PC right now. I'am looking for some advice on what part I could swap to make it run better (right now 15-30FPS on Low settings).

My specs:

ATI HD 6800 (1GB)
Intel I5 25k
24gb RAM

The biggest bottleneck is prob the video card. any recommendations for around 100€.

disclaimer: I know my PC is old garbage. I just wanna play some battlegrounds with a half way stable frame rate.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I mean that game has literally like 4 rifles so there's not exactly much choice

That is stupid high. This ain't a twitch shooter.

No way at all is 3000 high. I run at 2600 and I still feel sluggish at times.

I don't see how vaulting is a priority either. It won't add anything significant.

You can crouch jump easily by pressing jump + c simultaneously. It works 95% of the time if you hit them correctly.

Do you not see why vaulting and its parkour mechanics would not be a high priority if you rely on pressing the right key combo at the precise time for the game to interpret it as it currently stands? With the ability to approach a wall or crate and ascend/descend suddenly offers a game which has very limited verticality a whole new layer of vantage to combat encounters. Players will have to actually take in their surroundings instead of scanning the horizon for movement at a height at or below the current character model.

That in itself is crazy.

Blizzard

Banned
I like how all the HBAO+ examples make shadows darker in a game where life and death depends on being able to see people hiding in shadows. I'm not sure that will be as popular as they expect. :p

Wardancer

Neo Member
I don't see how vaulting is a priority either. It won't add anything significant.

You can crouch jump easily by pressing jump + c simultaneously. It works 95% of the time if you hit them correctly.

Crouch jump is obviously a bug and not intended, it is pretty easy to do but its a shit solution.

But I cant see how you think vaulting wont add anything significant, city fighting will change completely because you can traverse walls etc so much easier. You can no longer rely on a wall blocking the opponents path, people can get into spaces they never could before etc. Vaulting seems to let you climb things that are as tall as a player character or more which means you can climb onto shipping containers etc.

I agree vaulting isn't super high priority for me, but it sure as hell will have a big impact on the game.

Wow. Jumping back into third person after playing first person. I'm doing noticeably better than before. I guess playing in first person amped my situation awareness and general skills.

Uiki

Åesop;246599916 said:

I can't even comprehend that sensitivity.

I play at 80cm/360, something like 30 ingame for general (33 for targeting/scoping) and 400 dpi.

Wardancer

Neo Member
How do I set this up if i have a Nvidia card? I've been trying to use windows game bar, but it never records anything.

Are you playing in Fullscreen-Windowed mode? You probably need to turn off some privacy features of the recording software to make it work for that. Its there so you don't accidentally record/stream your desktop.

To use shadowplay you need GeForce Experience and you should find the settings for it in there.

LOL, New Terrain Tech = changed some textures. Fucking developers, lol! Now I have to hear my non-dev friends call this "tech" forever.

New textures... no thats not just new textures...

I have a 1080ti and a 7700K and I still had to turn some settings down to low\very low last night. For some reason when I'm in an area with several 3 story buildings, my FPS would drop down to 45ish and it felt kinda stuttery. Even with a gsync monitor. GPU usage was at 100% so it wasn't my CPU. Now it's smooth again. I think I turned down shadows and effects which seemed to do the trick.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Are you playing in Fullscreen-Windowed mode? You probably need to turn off some privacy features of the recording software to make it work for that. Its there so you don't accidentally record/stream your desktop.

To use shadowplay you need GeForce Experience and you should find the settings for it in there.

New textures... no thats not just new textures...

Yes it is, they are finally taking advantage of UE4s terrain system and possibly tessellation/POM (which means a more complex material). How are better normal maps, what looks like better color maps, and new displacment/heightmaps for tessellation or POM not just new better textures? Tech would be rewriting UE4s entire landscape system, but that would be stupid given it works amazingly out of the box.

The HBAO+ would be new tech but that isn't what this is about.

I've never seen my framerate go below 60 with my 1080.

When entering the inventory screen, will the game stutter or take long time to load?

I should also mention that I play at 3440x1440.

I think my inventory is fine but I'll make a mental note of it next time I play.

aeolist

Banned
hey guys I got a question about my pc and possible upgrades I could make to make PUBG run better.
I'am not really playing any other games and I dont reallly wanna build a new PC right now. I'am looking for some advice on what part I could swap to make it run better (right now 15-30FPS on Low settings).

My specs:

ATI HD 6800 (1GB)
Intel I5 25k
24gb RAM

The biggest bottleneck is prob the video card. any recommendations for around 100€.

disclaimer: I know my PC is old garbage. I just wanna play some battlegrounds with a half way stable frame rate.

your cpu is old but the gpu is definitely the bottleneck. upgrade that and you should be far better off.

Wardancer

Neo Member
The only thing you currently can't climb are the bigger (~2m) walls, and being able to climb those will be cool -- but will it really be a game changer? I mean it could be useful, but is it needed?

I'm actually surprised at the number of people waiting for the vaulting feature, as it's a feature I rarely see in other games of this kind.

Yeah, I've seen that argument before, but again that's 100% irrelevant.

Why is it obvious it's not indented? It's a feature in a lot of other games, and Bluehole haven't even tried patching it out since the beta. Nor said anything about it being a bug.

I don't see how it's a shit solution?

Its a shit solution because its a bug that triggers 2 animations at the same time and you can glitch through windows without breaking the glass. Nothing about crouch jumping is intended to work the way it does. If it was fixed to work like HL crouch jumping does then it would be just fine but for now its a shitty glitch.

I should also mention that I play at 3440x1440.

I think my inventory is fine but I'll make a mental note of it next time I play.

I play at 1440p and 110 resolution scale (10% super sampling), turning shadows down to low or medium increased my FPS from randomly dipping to 30-40 (usually around 60) to stay around 80-110 on my 1080 (and a i5 4670k).

Everything else is on ultra except post processing which i turned to very low because it just muddies picture quality.

Too bad shadows on low looks kinda terrible in many houses and feels like cheating because you can see people a LOT easier in windows since the shadows indoor doesn't render for you so its brightly lit inside.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Yes it is, they are finally taking advantage of UE4s terrain system and possibly tessellation/POM (which means a more complex material). How are better normal maps, what looks like better color maps, and new displacment/heightmaps for tessellation or POM not just new better textures? Tech would be rewriting UE4s entire landscape system, but that would be stupid given it works amazingly out of the box.

The HBAO+ would be new tech but that isn't what this is about.

You just described them using "new tech" for the game to make the ground look prettier.

Top Bottom