• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer-readable storage medium patent by Shigeru Miyamoto

GaussTek

This is pretty interesting.

I really hope it gets implemented in the next big Nintendo Game... AND I really hope they don't screw it :lol

RurouniZel said:
I am officially intrigued. This is definitely a revolutionary step if true and implemented, because it's one more step toward letting the player decide how they want to play the game.

Example: My older sister loves to play games, but always gets stuck at a certain point because she either

a) doesn't know what to do
b) doesn't have the actual skill to pull off what the game requires to proceed

So this would allow her to essentially "watch" the part she can't beat and pick up the game afterward so that she could continue.

Wicked.
Yeah, that would be kinda cool. My girlfriend played Tomb Raider recently and everytime a boss showed up I had to fight it. this would be over then, great, indeed.

I like the idea and now I'm pumped for the next zelda.

dyls

Black-Wind said:
So it's like Wii Music in that you can save and send vids to others?

It sounds more like you would upload it to a central server. Then, rather than watching your video from a separate menu, the game would download the appropriate user videos (presumably based on which specific solution the player was trying to a given problem) which would play in a small window during gameplay.

What's really funny is that if this had been available for Zelda:TP, you could've actually watched in-game videos on how to do the Twilight Hack.

Xabora

dyls said:
This sounds like a good idea. Basically like uploading replays, but perhaps for other genres.

So if you get stuck in Zelda, you could choose to watch how another player passed the puzzle.
Didn't Duke Nukem 3D on XBLA already do this. :p

TJ Spyke

Classic_Gs said:
Nintendo is going to kill Zelda, just watch.

TP was the best Zelda game IMO, so I wouldn't worry.

Also, why do some people say "I could care less"? Think about it. By saying that, you are saying that you DO care about it at least a little. The original expression (which actually makes sense) would be "I couldn't care less".

SkySonata

Banned
This is quite brilliant the more I think about it.

This would give Nintendo free reign to put heavy challenge and wicked puzzles into the Zelda game, without alienating casuals, non-gamers, the unintelligent, etc.

Besides, if Nintendo wanted to make Zelda even easier, they wouldn't have a patent like this filed. They would just make the bosses/puzzles easier in general. This patent completely side-steps the issue of difficulty for Zelda games.

Win.

This looks and sounds effing awesome. No more stopping a playthrough midstream to look up a walkthrough on the net or wasting money on one-time use strategy guides. Will make games much more enjoyable for me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Onix said:
Pretty interesting idea, though kind of disappointing it is patentable.
I don't know, unlike most dumb patents this one seems specific enough that I don't mind.

So lemme see if I have this straight.

You play through the game and after a certain amount of time, these hint movies unlock (probably after you've been stuck for a while, or just based on your total hours of playtime.) Then if you're stuck at a puzzle, you can choose to watch a quick video hint of how to solve it.

Then there's a digest mode which basically shows you a reduced (no sidequests or extras, etc.) playthrough of the game that hits the main points of the plot. While you're watching it, you can stop at any point and pick up the game from there. So you don't have to replay the tutorial the next time you start the game, for example.

Sounds FANTASTIC.

Htown said:
You play through the game and after a certain amount of time, these hint movies unlock (probably after you've been stuck for a while, or just based on your total hours of playtime.) Then if you're stuck at a puzzle, you can choose to watch a quick video hint of how to solve it.
It's like after playing a game for at least 2 hours you can vote for it in the nintendo channel.

I think you have to do the tutorial entirely and then you can use the hint system or so. That would make sense, to me.

Ha! There was a heated argument about this type of feature here in a thread dedicated to some blogger's "10 things every game should have" or something of that sort. Most people then thought it absolutely would not work in an adventure style game, while I maintained it could. Looks like we might actually get the chance to find out!

With Miyamoto at the helm, I have confidence it will. Say what you want about Wii Music, one questionable game in 25 years ain't bad.

You guys should brace yourself. You can bet that series will be torn down and transformed into something you may not expect. There will be a reckoning, I think.

Jammy

Banned
If both this and MotionPlus support are in the next Zelda game, expect it to be the best-selling Zelda game of all-time by a longshot (Zelda humor... har har).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh, and if you don't want to use the hints?

DON'T. No one's making you do it. Voila! There's your challenging Zelda game.

[Nintex]

Patents aren't a very good source for information on future releases, but the fact that this patent has "Wii" in and describes the motionplus and is also very detailed about the structure of the game, shows that this is more than just 1988 technology patented today. I guess this is why they wouldn't want to show thet next Zelda game, they obviously had to wait for this patent filing.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Htown said:
The patent mentions nothing about hints being unlocked. In fact it implies that the hint button will always be availble in the right hand corner of the screen. Of course this could easily change.

Then there's a digest mode which basically shows you a reduced (no sidequests or extras, etc.) playthrough of the game that hits the main points of the plot. While you're watching it, you can stop at any point and pick up the game from there. So you don't have to replay the tutorial the next time you start the game, for example.

Sounds FANTASTIC.
Actually you still can't skip the tutorial. In digest mode you can't save normally. Digest mode isn't meant to be a skipping feature.

wsippel

Banned
TunaLover said:
Miyamoto's used to make very challenge focused games, I wonder why the drastic change.
Drastic change? This technology actually allows him (and Nintendo in general) to make much more challenging games in the future. Because no matter how challenging the game might end up being, everyone, even newcomers and "casuals", still has a chance to see the ending.

Raistlin

Htown said:
I don't know, unlike most dumb patents this one seems specific enough that I don't mind.

So lemme see if I have this straight.

Sounds FANTASTIC.

I agree, it is fairly specific. I just mean it will be a shame when all games can't utilize this. Nintendo is really battening down the hatches. It's going to be pretty difficult for Sony and MS to gain any ground in the casual market if Nintendo keeps sucking up these ideas :p

grandjedi6 said:
Actually you still can't skip the tutorial. In digest mode you can't save normally. Digest mode isn't meant to be a skipping feature.

With any luck, though, digest saved data will lead to the end of forced tutorials altogether. As others have pointed out, digest mode could potentially lead to more complex and challenging games.

Woffls

This is actually great for us. It is essentially Nintendo identifying the seperation and difference in requirements between two demographics, yet still attempting to cater to both of them with the same game. Sure, it might not work
(it will)
and it might break the game
(it wont)
, but it's very reassuring that Nintendo are changing the series and possibly even listening to us.

Also, was that an island in one of the pictures? Wind Waker II?

grandjedi6 said:
The patent mentions nothing about hints being unlocked.

"Also in this case, the "approach movie" may be downloaded only when a predetermined time period based on the play time or the like has passed."

rpmurphy

I was thinking a couple months ago about what if we could have the option of playing through a long adventure/RPG for the story but skipping the tedium. Nice to know that Nintendo is already on it. Long overdue for the genre.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
rpmurphy said:
I was thinking a couple months ago about what if we could have the option of playing through a long adventure/RPG for the story but skipping the tedium. Nice to know that Nintendo is already on it. Long overdue for the genre.

Unfortunate because I dont think there is a single Nintendo game out there you would play for the story besides Mother 3.

batbeg

Woffls said:
This is actually great for us. It is essentially Nintendo identifying the seperation and difference in requirements between two demographics, yet still attempting to cater to both of them with the same game. Sure, it might not work
(it will)
and it might break the game
(it wont)
, but it's very reassuring that Nintendo are changing the series and possibly even listening to us.

Agreed. This is definitely an interesting concept. And if this game were to take a Wind Waker artstyle and strong enough approach, I'll admit I could see myself just setting it to play when bored :D Unlike the hateful side of GAF, I appreciate the extents to which Nintendo are going to unify a mainstream gaming community, and this one absolutely sounds like one way to bring us together with more casual fans with little controversy.

Just hope it turns out to be real, and meet the expectations we're already building for it :lol

Woffls said:
Also, was that an island in one of the pictures? Wind Waker II?

*melt*

wsippel said:
Drastic change? This technology actually allows him (and Nintendo in general) to make much more challenging games in the future. Because no matter how challenging the game might end up being, everyone, even newcomers and "casuals", still has a chance to see the ending.
This.

If they wanted the game to just be easy than they would just make it easy. This way the "core" gamers can have their type of game yet new comers can come in a still make it to the end and have fun.

Hell, I like this idea because some times theres just shit I don't want to do in a game (as in, ANYTHING ice related. So I can maybe see some vids of some one doing one of those damn ice puzzels where you have to slide things along the ground >_>) .

Arde5643

HK-47 said:
Unfortunate because I dont think there is a single Nintendo game out there you would play for the story besides Mother 3.
I think this is more related to annoying fetch quests that cripple my motivation to finish Wind Waker.

I really wanted to continue with the main storyline, but the fetch quests just killed it.

Interesting info, but I still really want to actually know what will definitely be in the next game, such as...

- Story
- Gameplay
- Presentation

But, I stress despite this being a legit patent, this could be something not even used in any Zelda game or any Nintendo game, just something they wanted to have in their pocket. So this all should be taken with a megaton-case of salt.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Zelda 2009! OMGWTFBBQ CONFIRMED!!

Please?

TSA said:
Interesting info, but this tells me very little about what I still really want to know about the next game, such as...

- No Story info
- No gameplay info (how am I controlling Link this time around)
- No presentation info (cel-shaded, TP look, something else)

Dude... its a patent only, not the design doc.

RagnarokX

TunaLover said:
Miyamoto's used to make very challenge focused games, I wonder why the drastic change.
I know Mario Galaxy was still pretty easy, but it was Miyamoto's idea to reduce Mario's HP to 3 to increase the challenge. The dev team thought he was making the game too hard.

Relix said:
Zelda 2009! OMGWTFBBQ CONFIRMED!!

Please?

Dude... its a patent only, not the design doc.

Heh, duh. I'm just staying I'm not worked up about this info, partially because it could end up having nothing to do with Zelda since it is, as you say, just a patent.

RagnarokX

TSA said:
Heh, duh. I'm just staying I'm not worked up about this info, partially because it could end up having nothing to do with Zelda since it is, as you say, just a patent.
Yeah, Mario 128 did turn out to be Pikmin, after all.

Woffls

Some of the Galaxy stars were very challenging. I felt that the difficulty curve was almost perfect. First 70 odd stars were easy and still amazingly good fun. The rest were challenging enough to keep you interested as the worlds around you grew less enchanting. Then there were a dozen or so hardcore ones that really required some skill. I'd have liked a more graduated curve, but this is subjective really.
(yes, 242)

I hope this is implemented in other games as well. As somebody said, it would work great for Metroid because Prime 1&2 had some game-breakingly hard parts in them, largely dependant on how many fuel cells you had at the time.

TSA said:

This is a possibility. However, this is gaf, and this is a document that is indicative of at least one feature in what might be the next Zelda game. I am honestly shocked this thread is so small :p

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Woffls said:
"Also in this case, the "approach movie" may be downloaded only when a predetermined time period based on the play time or the like has passed."
I stand corrected. I overlooked that the patent likes to interchange the words hint, approach movie and moving images.

Woffls said:
This is a possibility. However, this is gaf, and this is a document that is indicative of at least one feature in what might be the next Zelda game. I am honestly shocked this thread is so small :p

Thread title - edit it to say "possible new mechanic in next zelda revealed", and watch the fun. Though that would be a bit irresponsible.

Cipherr

John Dunbar said:
I'd say it's jumping the gun to make any conclusions about the game's visual style based on those pictures.

:lol :lol :lol :lol THIS THIS. I was ROFL reading this thread as some random patent with pencil drawn doodles of Zelda are being used to "confirm" what the next entry is going to be like. Shits hilarious, theres reaching, and then theres this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RagnarokX said:
I know Mario Galaxy was still pretty easy, but it was Miyamoto's idea to reduce Mario's HP to 3 to increase the challenge. The dev team thought he was making the game too hard.

Not only that but I have no doubt it was also his idea to make Luigi's Purple Coins as ball-bustingly hard as possible.

Miyamoto is a man of many faces, don't underestimate him.

TSA said:
Well, given the art + the talk of Wii and Motion + and the properties I think it's a good guess.

Top Bottom