• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer-readable storage medium patent by Shigeru Miyamoto

Tobor

Black-Wind said:
Well, given the art + the talk of Wii and Motion + and the properties I think it's a good guess.

The art is there to give an example. It could be about Zelda, or it could be about Wii Sports Adventure: The Rise of the Motion Thieves.

Or it could be an idea that they never use for anything, and are patenting it just in case.

But keep on assuming, this thread is hilarious. :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Puncture said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol THIS THIS. I was ROFL reading this thread as some random patent with pencil drawn doodles of Zelda are being used to "confirm" what the next entry is going to be like. Shits hilarious, theres reaching, and then theres this.
Did you actually read the patent?

Tobor said:
The art is there to give an example. It could be about Zelda, or it could be about Wii Sports Adventure: The Rise of the Motion Thieves.

Or it could be an idea that they never use for anything, and are patenting it just in case.

The patent is obviously going to be used. For a Zelda game in particular? Its likely but not definite.

web01

This is interesting but its not what the Zelda or any other nintendo franchise needs at the moment its quite the opposite.

Nintendo games and the Zelda series in particualar are getting so easy that they are becoming somewhat boring. All they need to do to fix is this is have a hardcore difficultly and casual difficulty available from the start to please everyone with differences between puzzles, enemies ect in each version. Not some elaborate over the top hint system.

wsippel

Banned
web01 said:
This is interesting but its not what the Zelda or any other nintendo franchise needs at the moment its quite the opposite.

Nintendo games and the Zelda series in particualar are getting so easy that they are becoming somewhat boring. All they need to do to fix is this is have a hardcore difficultly and casual difficulty available from the start to please everyone with differences between puzzles, enemies ect in each version. Not some elaborate over the top hint system.
You either didn't read the patent or you just don't understand. This allows Nintendo to make games that are more approachable and more challenging at the same time. Something you could hardly achieve by simply rebalancing or adding additional difficulty settings.

grandjedi6 said:
The patent is obviously going to be used. For a Zelda game in particular? Its likely but not definite.
I agree.

This patent is way too detailed for it not to be used. If they only wanted it in their back pocket "just in case" than I wouldn't think that they would go into the details of M+ or the Wii (It actually reminds me of the sanity meter patent. Someone also used a Link drawing for that it seems, but I take it that that was because ED wasn't out at the time it was filed).

batbeg

web01 said:

You're right. They should do something like where the puzzles are difficult then more casual players will have an intuitive and friendly way of getting through it, whereas the hardcore demographic can approach it in whatever ways they want.

I mean... that's what this patents already saying, sure, but I would feel better with an arbitrary easy/hard difficult at the beginning of the game which is irreversible.

HUELEN10

Secret Wii game indeed.....

Imagine if they used this for a Mario adventure game.

Damn, now I can't go to sleep! Read everything, but I have to re-read. Some things still don't "click" if you know what I mean.

Hopefully they use this as an opportunity to actually make games more difficult should they find it necessary.

Even if they don't though, it's definitely a step in the right direction in terms of getting non-gamers and casual gamers to play games made for the hardcore.

It would be great if this caused sales of future hardcore games to wise drastically on the Wii.

wsippel

Banned
Haunted said:

I fail to see how this is substantially different from AitD's chapter/skip system, except for the PiP hint movies provided.
If you skip a chapter in AitD, you miss it, no? And you can only skip whole chapters, not parts of chapters.

Tobor said:
:lol jumptoconclusionsmat.gif
14eb6dh.png

You can clearly see symbols X, square, triangle and circle... and EVERYONE knows what this means.

HUELEN10

PetriP-TNT said:
You can clearly see symbols X, square, triangle and circle... and EVERYONE knows what this means.
You son of a......... :lol
Damn, why would you even think of such a thing?!?!?!?
Regardless, if what you said HAD a hint of truth, which I do not believe it does by any means, wouldn't that possibly date this diagram to the early 90s.....

Of course not!

dude

dude
grandjedi6 said:
The patent mentions nothing about hints being unlocked. In fact it implies that the hint button will always be availble in the right hand corner of the screen. Of course this could easily change.

Actually you still can't skip the tutorial. In digest mode you can't save normally. Digest mode isn't meant to be a skipping feature.
I think it was said somewhere that the more you watch the digest, for example 2 hours, you can start the game from the chapter that you should get to after 2 hours. But I could've misunderstood.

wRATH2x

Banned
The HELLS THIS!!!

Look I know Nintendo want more non-gamers to play zelda,but did they have to go through all this trouble if they can just have different difficulty settings.

I mean whats the point of playing a game if I can skip ahead,and even though I loved TP Zelda needs to be alot more challenging,and hint videos and skipping ahead of difficult puzzles isnt exactly why I play videogames,and is nothing I want in any sort of game.

And I cant imagine if this thing was a success,will other games implant this feature?

If so I dont think videogames will be my main hobby like it used to.

[Nintex]

Wrath2X said:
The HELLS THIS!!!

Look I know Nintendo want more non-gamers to play zelda,but did they have to go through all this trouble if they can just have different difficulty settings.

I mean whats the point of playing a game if I can skip ahead,and even though I loved TP Zelda needs to be alot more challenging,and hint videos and skipping ahead of difficult puzzles isnt exactly why I play videogames,and is nothing I want in any sort of game.

And I cant imagine if this thing was a success,will other games implant this feature?

If so I dont think videogames will be my main hobby like it used to.
They wanted to make Zelda PH more casual, so they had to dumb down the difficulty, the problem was that the game was just too easy and boring. So with this idea they can make the puzzle's alot more difficult because unexperienced players can just check the hint video. If anything it adds a way to put more challenge into the game. It's better than Nintendo's earlier solution to this problem, they talked about making games shorter back in the GameCube days because they worked hard on the last dungeons in OOT while only 20% of the players saw them.

Koren

Wrath2X said:
I see this as a big improvement. Let me explain...

One of the difficulties about producing a wide-audience adventure game is the difficulty. In action game, you can tune the number of ennemies, supplies, or the damages received. In an adventure game, on the other side, it's next to impossible to have level of difficulty for puzzles.

So, puzzle difficulty has been tuned down, so that many people can enjoy the game (if they stay stuck, they will soon get frustrated). Many of them won't use gamefaqs if they can't go on in a dongeon. And even with this, Zelda games remains a bit difficult for more casual games, and on the easy side for zelda players.

Some solutions have been experimented in the past : secret booklet with zelda III in the box, with solution to the most difficult puzzle (temple of the theft, for example), or hint system in Metroid Prime.

Should such a video hint system be used for people not to get stuck and enjoy the interest of difficult puzzle, and the direct result for us a more complex and interested games through more elaborated puzzle, I'm definitely all for it.

Screenboy

a couple of things i can take from this:

a) theyre gunna give Zelda an easy option to go for their 'brain-training' crowd. ffs like it aint easy enough? 8 piece hearts?

2) its not gunna be first-person..

wRATH2x

Banned
I understand what you guys are saying and thanks for the insight but Ill take this chance to explain my position:

That their adding this feature to ramp up the difficulty is just an assumption on our part,we dont know if this will be used in the next zelda,let alone if the game is using it to ramp up its difficulty,it can be just another failed gimmick(lord knows how many nintendo had failed with this),or it could be a stroke of genius,either way it will split the Zelda fanbase even further,and Im not a fan of nintendos recent innovations(motion control stands out),so you can see how this doesnt sit too well with me.

Plus Zeldas my favorite franchise,and if this is the bid change than Im really disapointed.

Somnid

Sounds like a very smart and non-obvious solution to the problems they are trying to tackle with casual gamers.

Also, chapter skip would be a greatly appreciated addition. Surely I'm not the only one who uses those other two save slots for certain bosses.

vareon

I don't think I understand the digest mode, or I'm misunderstanding it. What's the point of this? If they're going to make it easier for the inexperienced, shouldn't the optional hint be enough?

E-phonk

Banned
This sounds like a very Miyamoto-like idea. It's a perfect solution to make the game both accessible and hardcore at the same time.

It's basically a built in cheat system for puzzlesolving. It's the IDDQD for the adventure genre.

The digest mode takes this even further, and looks like something for the "I like watching a game being played more then playing it myself" crowd, if I understand correctly. And looking at the amount of views some youtube playthrough videos get, they might be on to something here.

.DImg

Didn't see this image yet... notice that the arrow between "External Memory Card Connector" and "Input/Output Processor" goes both ways.

Edit: I am new here. Could I have some help getting the image to display properly?

Cruzader

Banned
I think this is another move for casual gamers. I bet they are making hardcore games, "casual-friendly". that way both core/casuals can enjoy said game.

I find the pic of the OO guy looking at the closet/door and a 'HINT' button coming up...if you dont know that you have to open it then you fail.

Did Miyamoto or Aonuma mention anything about TP's puzzles pre and post release? I'm curious, because reading this thread makes me wonder if they ever wanted TP's puzzles to be hard or easy.

Perdew

Ok so no more smart ass comments from me today.

Serious question for anyone who read through it; does this say it's going to be integrated into the game, a separate 'channel', or is it going to be some sort of strategy guide memory card? The 'computer readable storage medium' makes me think the latter is possible.

Anyway, it's a great idea to see something like this. It'd allow them to continue making 'hardcore titles' (uuuugh) but expanding their market at the same time.

abstract alien said:
wtf kind of storage is this? good lord intenduh
They don't have to store a Video to be clear. Some kind of a replay is enough. And a replay is small enough to store on the memory. On the other hand whou knows whats comming with their storage solution patch in spring.

vareon said:
I don't think I understand the digest mode, or I'm misunderstanding it. What's the point of this? If they're going to make it easier for the inexperienced, shouldn't the optional hint be enough?
in a Boss fight where you have to put a bomb in his mouth and when he struggles strike his bag you have to be some kind of skilled to do so. If the casual is not that skilled he will never beat this fight. With this he can use the hint system and let the game play around this bossfight. After watching all the cutscenes he can go on playing.

Cruzader said:
I find the pic of the OO guy looking at the closet/door and a 'HINT' button coming up...if you dont know that you have to open it then you fail.
That's just an example. Should they instead use some complicated dungeon examples like the dungeon in Links Awakening where you have to destroy the columns of the temple to reach the roof?

GoDLiKe

grandjedi6 said:
Actually, I think this confirms that Zelda Wii is still going to be 3rd person. Success! :lol

EDIT:

4gor7.png

Yep, definitely looks like Nintendo is going with a in game hint system for the next Zelda. Quick someone tell the blogs!??!
OMG it's a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle game:D

DangerStepp

Drkirby said:
Why the legend of OO. First screen too:
Screenshiot.png

:lol @ the house in the background. Its style just makes me laugh.

I can't wait until the folks who were up in arms over the Windwaker style see this one!

The Legend of Zelda: The Newspaper Princess

The house on the lake in that picture reminds me of that one shack that takes you underneath Bower Lake and eventually into the Guild in Fable II.

Tobor said:

Miyamoto has said many times in the past that they want to make Zelda easier for the casual, and it sounds like they will pull it off if this patent is put to use. This is very similiar to how emulation recording works. I don't see why they can't pull it off.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Soooo, it's mission based and all missions are unlocked from the start.
Play from beginning, or any mission you want.

That's a lot of words to say that one point.

vareon

NintendoTogepi said:
Is it just me, or do I see palm trees and islands?

Wind Waker sequel? :D

I also see a tall Squirtle with a katana. Nope, it's Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Wii.

Caesar III said:
in a Boss fight where you have to put a bomb in his mouth and when he struggles strike his bag you have to be some kind of skilled to do so. If the casual is not that skilled he will never beat this fight. With this he can use the hint system and let the game play around this bossfight. After watching all the cutscenes he can go on playing.

Ah, thanks. Took me long enough. Still not sure about it since we're not even sure if it's going to be implemented or not, so we'll see.

Haunted

wsippel said:
If you skip a chapter in AitD, you miss it, no? And you can only skip whole chapters, not parts of chapters.
You can skip to certain checkpoints in every chapter (usually about 5 or 6), and you get a small movie at the start of your new chapter, summing up what you've missed with in-game cutscenes (think "previously on Lost").

Top Bottom