• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer-readable storage medium patent by Shigeru Miyamoto

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Coolio McAwesome said:
If you get stuck in a game, you can simply skip ahead or let the computer take control of the game for you in order to get past a certain point which may be deemed as too difficult or time-consuming..
Thats not how I am reading it. It looks more like you will be able to go back to an earlier point in the game, not skip parts. Also, the computer doesn't take control, just shows a video of what to do some of the time.
grandjedi6 said:
Does this mean we finally can redo any puzzle or boss we want at anytime in a Zelda game?
Yes, thats what it says :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
4gor7.png

[0106]While a player is playing the game, the player encounters the "puzzle" set in the game as described above. FIG. 11 shows an exemplary scene in which the "puzzle" is set. In FIG. 11, how to open a door 103 is set as the "puzzle". Specifically, the player needs to solve the "puzzle" in some manner so as to open the door 103 and continue the game. Here, in order to respond to the "puzzle", that is, in order to open the door 103, it is necessary to press a switch provided at a predetermined position on a floor.

5b4rj9.png

[0107]In the scene shown in FIG. 11, when a player cannot find how to open the door 103, a player may press the hint button 102. In this case, as shown in FIG. 12, a relatively small window 104 is displayed in a portion of the upper right area of the screen so as to reproduce moving images (hereinafter, referred to as an approach movie) indicating how to open the door 103. In FIG. 12, an approach movie representing a state where the player character 101 moves onto a switch 105 provided on the floor for opening the door 103, and stands on the switch 105 (that is, presses the switch 105) is reproduced. By viewing the approach movie, the player can know how to open the door 103. Therefore, the player moves the player character 101 to the switch 105 provided on the floor, and causes the player character 101 to stand thereon, as indicated by the approach movie, so as to open the door 103, thereby continuing the game.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
OuterWorldVoice said:
It looks like a 2008 patent of a 1981 idea. Normally gaf hates this kind of thing, but I guess since it says Miyamoto on it, it's ok.

Yup, just look at the overwhelmingly positive reaction to Wii Music.

grandjedi6

34rvonm.png

[0109]Next, an outline of a process performed when the "digest" is selected from the title menu shown in FIG. 8 will be described. When the "digest" is selected, a digest movie, which has been previously set, is reproduced. FIG. 13 shows an exemplary game screen displayed when the "digest" is selected. In FIG. 13, a digest movie is displayed in a movie area 110, and a scene name 111 representing a current scene is displayed below the movie area 110. The digest movie includes, for example, a "played moving image" representing a recorded image of a game screen obtained by a game developer having actually played the game, an "event movie" which is inserted in the game as necessary, and the like. For example, the game is played in accordance with a scenario having a storyline representing the order of "forest".fwdarw."cave".fwdarw."tower".fwdarw."temple". In this case, the content of the digest movie is reproduced as a digest such that the game starts with a scene of "forest" and advances to "cave".fwdarw."tower".fwdarw."temple". A player is allowed to know a main game story and scenario, and a game plot by viewing the digest movie.

2l96t1h.jpg

[0110]Further, in a case where a player presses a predetermined button, for example, the operation button 72d while the digest movie is being reproduced, the player is allowed to play the game from the scene being reproduced at this time. For example, it is assumed that, when fifteen minutes has passed from the start of the reproduction of the digest movie, a played moving image for "temple" corresponding to one of stages of the game is being reproduced. At this time, when a player presses the operation button 72d, an inquiry message 112 for inquiring whether or not the game is to be played from this scene is displayed as shown in FIG. 14. When a player responds positively to the message, the saved data (hereinafter, referred to as digest saved-data) for digest, which has been previously set, is read. As described below, the digest saved-data are saved data which is previously set so as to correspond to the scenes, respectively, in the game. In a case shown in FIG. 14, based on the assumption that the game has been played up to the moment immediately before the temple, the saved data having been previously set is read. Therefore, a level and various statuses (parameter such as HP) of the player character are advanced to some degree as compared to those provided when the game is started. Further, items which may belong to the player character when the game has been normally played and advanced to the temple are set as items belonging to the player character. Specifically, saved data to be used when attacking against the temple is ready is read. It is possible to start the game from the scene of "temple" by reading the digest saved-data described above. However, in this game, data of the game which is started in this manner is not saved. That is, only the data of the game obtained by a user performing attacking by him/herself are stored, so that a user who performs attacking by him/herself may not reduce his/her interest in the game. Hereinafter, a game play in which the game is started, while the digest movie is being reproduced, in a state where no data of the game is saved, is referred to as a game played in a "digest mode". However, data may be saved in the digest mode when it is unnecessary to consider that the interest in the game is maintained.
[0111]A difference between the user saved-data and the digest saved-data will be described. The user saved-data can be "loaded" when the "game" is selected from the title menu, and the user saved-data is generated and stored when a player issues an instruction for the saving while playing the game. On the other hand, the digest saved-data is different from the user saved-data in that the digest saved-data is previously set based on the game storyline as described above, and is stored as a part of the game program in the game disc 4. As described above, the saving is not allowed in the digest mode, whereas the user saved-data to be stored is obtained only when a user plays the game from the beginning, and performs attacking by him/herself

Drkirby said:
Thats not how I am reading it. It looks more like you will be able to go back to an earlier point in the game, not skip parts. Also, the computer doesn't take control, just shows a video of what to do some of the time.

You don't have to actually play from the predetermined save points, you can just watch a video of it instead. While the patent does contain provisions relating to videos that are compressed and encoded based on a predetermined standard such as MPEG-2, it needs to be noted that the "videos" in question will not necessarily be an actual videos as they would take up too much space. Rather, the game will likely utilize a set of variables to correspond with appropriate input commands, and will be able to use this data to play the scenes out in real-time. Instead of having to save an entire movie file, the game will likely save a simple page of variables and use this "operation data" to produce the movies. (Certain emulators already do this.) So, although a digest saved movie might play out like a typical video would, it's more akin to the computer simply playing the game for you.

[0163]Further, instead of reproducing the moving images, the approach movie may be provided such that operation data representing the same movement as a movement of the player character in the approach movie is previously generated, and the player character is moved in a window for reproducing the approach movie, based on the operation data. The size of a file can be reduced as compared to a case where a moving image file is reproduced.

grandjedi6

There seem to be 3 main modes:

Game -- Play through the game normally. Hint system is available but not forced. So hardcore gamers could just play the game regularly and enjoy the challenge while more casual gamers can get hints if they get really stuck

Digest -- The game goes through important scenes (both movie and gameplay) in order. Essentially the game plays itself in this mode if you will. But you have the option of stopping the digest at any time and playing from that exact point. Plus when you choose to take control you are given the appropriate equipment and stats for that part of the game. No saving though, but it seems to be unneeded

Scenes -- essentially playthrough any puzzle or scene again. Like digest you are given the appropriate equipment and such.

What Nintendo is planning on doing is pretty insane and far more ambitious than some of you realize yet. This just might be the "gateway game" that gamers, casuals and non-gamers could all enjoy.

Danielsan

John Dunbar said:
I'd say it's jumping the gun to make any conclusions about the game's visual style based on those pictures.
It is but a man can dream and those pics scream Wind Waker to me. I hope that Nintendo realizes that the Wind Waker's graphical style is timeless and perfect for a system like the Wii.

OuterWorldVoice said:
JRPGs already have it.
What JRPG does something like this?

I know there are games that do various things somewhat similar to the (several) things outlined in this patent, but I'm not sure how this is a "1981 idea" that JRPGs already have.

plank

EmCeeGramr said:
What JRPG does something like this?

I know there are games that do various things somewhat similar to the (several) things outlined in this patent, but I'm not sure how this is a "1981 idea" that JRPGs already have.

Random turn based menu battles.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Danielsan said:
Also looks like the game will be even easier. :(

Well really, do you need all of this for an easy game? The entirety of this system seems designed to make a game that would traditionally be imposing or difficult more accessible. So if you just play the game normally without the assistance, it might be just as challenging, if not MORESO, than a typical Zelda game. You don't need this degree of hinting built in for a game that anyone could figure out without those hints.

So wait, is "Digest Mode" actually the game playing itself that you can jump into, or is it just a cutscene theater?

It's watching the game play itself in real time, and you can say "OKAY I wanna play now" and take over at any point.

grandjedi6

EmCeeGramr said:
So wait, is "Digest Mode" actually the game playing itself that you can jump into, or is it just a cutscene theater?
Playing the game itself. The patent mentions scenes being based on a developer's playthrough. However the patent doesn't specify what cutscenes or what playthrough parts are going to be included.

suaveric

grandjedi6 said:

Game -- Play through the game normally. Hint system is available but not forced. So hardcore gamers could just play the game regularly and enjoy the challenge while more casual gamers can get hints if they get really stuck

Digest -- The game goes through important scenes (both movie and gameplay) in order. Essentially the game plays itself in this mode if you will. But you have the option of stopping the digest at any time and playing from that exact point. Plus when you choose to take control you are given the appropriate equipment and stats for that part of the game. No saving though, but it seems to be unneeded

Scenes -- essentially playthrough any puzzle or scene again. Like digest you are given the appropriate equipment and such.

What Nintendo is planning on doing is pretty insane and far more ambitious than some of you realize yet. This just might be the "gateway game" that gamers, casuals and non-gamers could all enjoy.

Yes, this seems to be Nintendo trying to bring Zelda to the masses. As well as Twilight Princess and Galaxy sold, WiiFit and Sports dwarf those sales. It makes sense for Nintendo to try and get those new gamers on board with their more traditional games.

Very interesting stuff.

stilgar

So, to sum up Nintendo's plan for the next 100 years:

Step 1 : Making nongames for previously nongamers

Step 2 : Making Games' Digests for almost-nongamers (previously nongamers)

Step n : Profit.

grandjedi6 said:
Playing the game itself. The patent mentions scenes being based on a developer's playthrough. However the patent doesn't specify what cutscenes or what playthrough parts are going to be included.
Okay, I was wondering if it was like the Existence disc in the limited edition of MGS3, where it was basically the cutscenes with snippets of preplayed gameplay demo in between.

I dont think it had anything to do with zelda, maybe its a game maker. Or game movie maker, you make a generic RPG and link movies to specific scenes

legend166

SecretBonusPoint said:
I really hate patents like this. It feels like we're one nutbag away from someone patenting "coloured images on screen".

....?

I hate stupid patents as much as the next person, but this is nothing like what you've said.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
grandjedi6 said:

Ah, THANK YOU. I didn't understand what the deal was until I read your post.

In essence, as Coolio McAwesome hinted, the Digest mode would be akin to playing a button-sequence from a game on an emulator (typically, a tool-assisted speedrun), and stopping the replay when you want and continue the game by actually playing. The game would play itself until you decide that you want to play what comes next.

Am I correct?

Kinda cool if you ask me, and potentially very ambitious, as you said.

venne

I would much rather watch games than play them.

Good looking out, Nintendo!

I am surprised Kojima didn't patent this first

Wait. If this is really for the next Zelda...

then this means we can just start at the first dungeon and skip the fucking three-hour tutorial

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
grandjedi6 said:
What Nintendo is planning on doing is pretty insane and far more ambitious than some of you realize yet.

Sounds a bit TOO ambitious actually. :/ This might mean the game may be in development far longer than expected.

Thanks for the summary.

grandjedi6

SovietStriker said:
I dont think it had anything to do with zelda, maybe its a game maker. Or game movie maker, you make a generic RPG and link movies to specific scenes
The patent makes it pretty obvious that its refering to a Zelda game. It certainly doesn't seem to be refering to any "game movie maker"
Kilrogg said:

In essence, as Coolio McAwesome hinted, the Digest mode would be akin to playing a button-sequence from a game on an emulator (typically, a tool-assisted speedrun), and stopping the replay when you want and continue the game by actually playing. The game would play itself until you decide that you want to play what comes next.

Am I correct?

Pretty much.

venne

EmCeeGramr said:
Wait. If this is really for the next Zelda...

then this means we can just start at the first dungeon and skip the fucking three-hour tutorial

But then you can't save.

Further, when the game is started by using the digest saved-data, no saving is allowed in the game, and therefore a player that desires to clear the game by him/herself may not lose his/her interest in the game.

stilgar

Kilrogg said:

Am I correct?

I like the way you're describing this. This would be a real step forward, in precises cases. Let's just hope it won't ruin the challenge.

Kilrogg said:

Am I correct?

I don't think this is correct. It looks to me like 1) after a certain amount of hours played and a certain period of time since release, DVD-style "chapter" skipping becomes available, and 2) the hint button allows the solutions to puzzles to be displayed in a small window at a low framerate.

grandjedi6

jiji said:
I don't think this is correct. It looks to me like 1) after a certain amount of hours played and a certain period of time since release, DVD-style "chapter" skipping becomes available, and 2) the hint button allows the solutions to puzzles to be displayed in a small window at a low framerate.
The patent does not mention the digest mode needing to be unlocked. And it doesn't function as "chapter skipping". Instead its a separate mode entirely featuring a preset playthrough.

stilgar

jiji said:
I don't think this is correct. It looks to me like 1) after a certain amount of hours played and a certain period of time since release, DVD-style "chapter" skipping becomes available,

mario2k3-map2a.png

?

Oblivion said:
Sounds a bit TOO ambitious actually. :/ This might mean the game may be in development far longer than expected.

Thanks for the summary.

LET'S NOT GET AHEAD OF OURSELVES.

Nintendo files many, many patents. And many of those many, many patents never become implemented. And even if this patent does, we don't know if it's for LoZ.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Just wishful thinking here, but imagine if you could then store your playthrough and send it to a friend?

That would basically make things a lot more easy for the speedrun community, don't you think?

[EDIT] TGG is right though.

grandjedi6

TheGrayGhost said:
LET'S NOT GET AHEAD OF OURSELVES.

Nintendo files many, many patents. And many of those many, many patents never become implemented. And even if this patent does, we don't know if it's for LoZ.
This patent goes into too great a length of detail for it not to appear in something and the patent doesn't try very hard to hide the fact that its about a Zelda game. More likely than not this is going to be featured in the next Zelda game.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
grandjedi6 said:
This patent goes into too great a length of detail for it not to appear in something and the patent doesn't try very hard to hide the fact that its about a Zelda game. More likely than not this is going to be featured in the next Zelda game.

They could have just used Zelda as an example how it would work, though.

OR IT MIGHT BE A MISLEADING DECOY

Cosmozone

Very nice find! Sounds intriguing, if it should be actually implemented. Although I'm shaking my head every time something like this is dug out, that such things can be patented.

I wish the hint/play itself option had existed for windwaker. I got bored during the search for the shards and never finished the game. I would have like to have skipped this one part and then continued on with the game.

grandjedi6 said:

I guess we'll see.

That Miyamoto's name is attached to this document is interesting and what makes it a more probable possibility.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I am officially intrigued. This is definitely a revolutionary step if true and implemented, because it's one more step toward letting the player decide how they want to play the game.

Example: My older sister loves to play games, but always gets stuck at a certain point because she either

a) doesn't know what to do
b) doesn't have the actual skill to pull off what the game requires to proceed

So this would allow her to essentially "watch" the part she can't beat and pick up the game afterward so that she could continue.

Wicked.

dyls

Kilrogg said:
Just wishful thinking here, but imagine if you could then store your playthrough and send it to a friend?

That would basically make things a lot more easy for the speedrun community, don't you think?

[EDIT] TGG is right though.

Why don't people read my posts? :(

Furthermore, the flash memory 17 or the like stores an operation history of a game play of each player, and each player may be allowed to create his/her own "approach movie" based on the operation history. The "approach movie" created by each player may be uploaded to the server. When the hint button 102 is pressed, the server may be accessed so as to view the "approach movies" created by various players.

Top Bottom