• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion to be PS3 launch title! ...and a PSP version?

Piper Az

sammy said:
man, this kinda makes me wanna' retire my 360 version for a few months --- since likely the PS3 version might eleminate some of the issues (loads/textures)

: \

That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

C4Lukins

Yoboman said:
So onfoot, it'd take you longer to run from one end of Oblivion's world to the other than it would for you to run from one end of San Andreas's world to the other? I find that a little hard to believe..

I would guess it probably does. If you include the dungeons and towns, it is definetly bigger. I have never actually tried running across the San Andreas world, but a lot of what makes the world seem big is the obstacles that get in your way so that you have take another route. Plus San Andreas has its share of needless empty space. They are both huge games though.

Geoff9920

psycho_snake said:
Its a bit like watching Xbots getting exited over the GTA port which had been released a year before...

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with some of us getting exited over an Xbox360 game coming to PS3. not all of us can afford to but all three consoles, so its good to see that such aa highly rated game is coming to a console which many of us are buying.
Nothing wrong at all, the more oblivion love the better.

BuddyC

Speevy said:
This thread is actually quite mature compared to the RE4 thread. No one is crying.
And only two bans so far! (Well, three if you count others stinking up another thread with this "superior version" nonsense)

Edit: Make that three.

Yoboman

TheKingsCrown said:
Its also funny to see people think that they will be playing the game. Do you people honestly believe there will be enough PS3's for you? Well, I suppose for us GAF members there will be as we will go out approximately 4 days in advance to camp outside the store. But the majority of people who want to play Oblivion? Already did, or will buy a 360 or will play on PC because PS3 won't be available to them. Unless Sony pulls PS3's out of their ass somehow.
ritalin_eric_web.jpg

psycho_snake said:
Its a bit like watching Xbots getting exited over the GTA port which had been released a year before...

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with some of us getting exited over an Xbox360 game coming to PS3. not all of us can afford to but all three consoles, so its good to see that such aa highly rated game is coming to a console which many of us are buying.

Nothing wrong with it. I just thought I'd take the PS2 line from last gen when those games showed up on the Cube or Xbox. It's all in fun. :)

Edit - You take this stuff way too seriously. :)

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
BuddyC said:
And only two bans so far! (Well, three if you count others stinking up another thread with this "superior version" nonsense)
How many people were banned in the RE4 PS2 thread?

Yoboman

C4Lukins said:
I would guess it probably does. If you include the dungeons and towns, it is definetly bigger. I have never actually tried running across the San Andreas world, but a lot of what makes the world seem big is the obstacles that get in your way so that you have take another route. Plus San Andreas has its share of needless empty space. They are both huge games though.
Wellcool, I'm impressed :D More reason to get me a PS3 now

snatches

Speevy said:
If it's not true, I hope snatches gets it from the mods. I doubt he would make up something like this.

Ill will FTL. Ouch Speevy. All I know is that Bethesda sent out the release list that I put in the OP.

With that said, Take Two sent out a release schedule saying GTA: LCS would be out the end of April on PS2...and I broke that news here as well. It has now been delayed. So you can only count on publishers so much.

Speevy

Banned
Sorry, that came out wrong. I know you wouldn't make up anything, snatches. But you know there have been many threads of supposedly insider info that didn't come true, especially concerning Nintendo.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
snatches said:
Ill will FTL. Ouch Speevy. All I know is that Bethesda sent out the release list that I put in the OP.

With that said, Take Two sent out a release schedule saying GTA: LCS would be out the end of April on PS2...and I broke that news here as well. It has now been delayed. So you can only count on publishers so much.
Do you work in the industry snatches?

snatches

psycho_snake said:
Do you work in the industry snatches?

yes, I work in distribution. you can check the threads I've started if you like. I also broke the news of F.E.A.R. coming to PS3 and 360 in another thread.

sangreal

Wasn't this game originally announced for PS3/360? Or something like "next generation consoles"

I remember last E3 everyone had it listed as a PS3 game

kpop100 said:
You could say the same about Oblivion.

Not a lot of empty space in Oblivion, especially when you start exploring and find all the dungeons, towns, ruins, Inns, etc. that litter the country side.

Majmun

snatches said:
yes, I work in distribution. you can check the threads I've started if you like. I also broke the news of F.E.A.R. coming to PS3 and 360 in another thread.

FEAR coming to the Ps3? That is news to me. :D

I'm all for Oblivion coming out on as many consoles as possible so that Bethesda can have as much revenue as possible to sink into ES5, Fallout 3, and the Star Trek games (and maybe fix some of those crashing issues :)).

No matter what happens, Bethesda FTW.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The best thing about this to me?

The PS3 is going to get way, way more western support than the PS2 did, including PC games I don't want to play on PC. I already know it will get all the good eastern devs. Now it will likely get what the ps2 lacked most, western rpgs and fps. That's great.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Speevy said:
If MS doesn't announce some exclusives at E3, I may have to seriously reevaluate some things.

I wouldn't worry about that. MS is gonna have a great lineup for late 06-early 07 with games like Too Human, Gears of War, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon etc. Not to mention there are gonna be plenty of suprises at E3.

Plus Oblivion was never exclusive to begin with. It has always been on PC so I don't know where all this exclusive talk is coming from.

Why is anyone suprised? Wasn't it announced originally as for PC/XBOX 360/PS3? Big whoop, while you are waiting for it, I'll be playing it and enjoying it.

trmas

Banned
Exclusives will definately be the big thing next generation. Although not even close to the same level Sony has, MS has enough for me to warrant the purchase, especially given I've played Oblivion almost non-stop for over three weeks now. Who cares if Oblivion is coming to PS3? Everyone should be able to enjoy the game.

I try to forget the 360 is a MS machine, because I actually really like the system. I just hate MS. The PS3 will still get the majority of the love from me, but MS will have some good games. I would have bought the 360 for Blue Dragon alone.

I'm just wondering if Nintendo will be able to show me anything that makes me HAVE to get a Revolution. Can't wait for E3

So, will the PS3 version be better?

i.e. Better use of harddrive to improve the game, framerate?
Less bugs?
Additional content?

Don't want to sound like a troll, but the first thing I did after reading this thread was check my receipt to see if I could return my 360 version.

Monorojo

Banned
I cant wait for the enhanced PSP version :D

This is pretty wild, didnt they deny it was coming to Ps3 sometime last year? First it's coming...then its not, and now it is again. They cant seem to make up their mind.

snatches

It's funny how some posters are assuming this is a fanboy flame war without actually reading the thread:lol

I personally am glad about the news, and as I've stated before, I hope this indicates a trend to make all third party games multiplatform. Gaming is the sole entertainment media that requires multiple proprietary mediums and it absolutely is stunting the growth of the games market.

edit: dammit I made a thread that made Monorojo happy. The end of the world is nigh.

Nick Laslett said:

Less bugs?
Additional content?

Don't want to sound like a troll, but the first thing I did after reading this thread was check my receipt to see if I could return my 360 version.

Less RAM FTW! *runs*

Yoboman

Nick Laslett said:

Less bugs?
Additional content?

It could easily, but we'll see how Bethesda does with hardware that is foreign to an extent. If they really wanted to go all out they could use higher res textures with the Blu Ray disc, but I'm just dreaming there :D

Although I don't really care about western-RPGs it makes me wonder. If Microsoft starts losing the PC developers' exclusives and huge support it got from them with xbox1 what will it leave them with? Things don't look good for 360.

Amir0x

Banned
snatches said:
It's funny how some posters are assuming this is a fanboy flame war without actually reading the thread:lol

I personally am glad about the news, and as I've stated before, I hope this indicates a trend to make all third party games multiplatform. Gaming is the sole entertainment media that requires multiple proprietary mediums and it absolutely is stunting the growth of the games market.

edit: dammit I made a thread that made Monorojo happy. The end of the world is nigh.

I don't want a widening trend toward multiplatform releases (even though I know that is the case), because exclusives get to really work into the systems and exploit their strengths far better.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I think for everyone in the Microsoft camp this would have been a nice exclusive to hold on to, but if this does come to the PS3, it is just one less reason to get an Xbox 360 over the PS3. It was a nice "AAA" reason, too. It's like when GTA came to Xbox, but at that point Sony didn't have much to lose. Even though this was expected by many people, it's still a pretty big blow to the Xbox 360's competitive advantage.

If the PS3's online service is close to Live and the controls + visuals are just as good or better, then the only things separating the 360 from the PS3 will be price and exclusives, and we all know price alone won't be enough (see Gamecube). Microsoft has got to 1) make sure as many 3rd parties at the very least make their games for the 360 in addition to PS3 2) release multiple killer app exclusives (e.g. like Halo) in succession and 3) market the system and the exclusives in a much better way than they did with Xbox.

So at this E3 if Microsoft doesn't wow everyone with their exclusives and have a bunch of surprises under its belt, then I think in most peoples' minds, the PS3 will run away with this generation before it even really starts. Nintendo is not resting on its laurels and neither is Sony (even though they can), so, now more than ever, Microsoft has to open its fat wallet and make extremely wise decisions to bring the best exclusive games to the 360 or they can kiss their chances good bye.

snatches

Amir0x said:
I don't want a widening trend toward multiplatform releases (even though I know that is the case), because exclusives get to really work into the systems and exploit their strengths far better.

Yeah, I understand this is the standard argument but with the heavy reliance on middleware such as Unreal, Renderware and others I don't expect to see a lot of titles developed "close to the metal" as it is sometimes referred to. I don't expect any games this gen to fully exploit the capabilities of the 360 or PS3. Look at what the PS2 is capable of (GoW2)....and that is coming out in year 7.

For the overall games market, this is a very good trend. More money for devs = bigger market = more variety = better games.

Top Bottom