• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good bottled water brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a large difference between bottles waters. The best advice is to buy spring water with proven qualities (Evian or your local bottled spring water) and to change the water you drink once in a while as their ph and especially mineral content varires a lot. Drinking different types of water helps balance this.

And no, water isn't the same. Tap water isn't as good as good spring water. You may not notice the difference in short term but if you care about your long term health, stick to quality bottled stuff.

If the PH balance of bottled water varies so much maybe it would be best to stick to tap

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Guys please I need to know about these water temperature hysteresis coefficients asap I need to go to bed.

ncslamm

Nestle pure life water is priced pretty well and tastes like water...I dunno what to tell you. Tap water is pretty much the same thing as bottled.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Also, can someone graph the temperature hysteresis coefficient curve wrt room temperature for different waters? I need my waters to have a specific curve for aesthetic reasons.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It is either Radenska or Donat MG (with nice laxative effect, which many tourists find by sheer chance)

Famassu

GG supporting an industry that pollutes the environment every step of the way and can be all kinds of unethical, not to even mention is unhealthier than tap water in most places with any kind of water treatment plants (water that has sat in a bottle for who knows how long)

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAI-AAAAJGZkZGQ1YzA4LWE2YzktNDIxNi05NGNmLTZlODdlMGM1YjEwMQ.png

Best water. Not sure if it's available in the US though.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I drink double reverse osmosis water from a large water cooler (which is labelled "distilled water" at the local grocery store). Then just put it in your reusable bottle that has partial vacuum insulation to stay cool for many hours. They also have bottles of "spring water" at the grocery store but it tastes like it has a bunch of minerals or had them added to it so I prefer distilled water.

I always drink tap water (except when I'm travelling and too lazy to fill up a bottle at the tap). No reason not to, the tap water quality here in Germany is pretty damn good (although for some reason a lot of people here only drink bottled water)

That said, there are differences in tap water you can taste. I was in Iceland once and drinking that stuff was pure bliss. If you don't mind that it smells of sulfur ;)

Used to drink fruit juice all the time as a kid. Don't do that, I mean it's healthier than soda for sure, but all that acid still isn't good for your teeth

Shai-Tan

Banned
And you are doing exactly what a lot of these companies selling water are doing. Just filling them up with regular tap water. And with less regulation, you risk drinking something with high bacteria levels or too high arsenic levels.

If I'm not mistaken they usually distill it with reverse osmosis before it's bottled so it's not just tap water in many cases even if it comes from tap water. I don't know how effective that is at removing trace molecules that find their way into the water supply (which probably aren't that harmful anyway in very small parts per million) but at the very least it tastes different.

I'm really starting to hate some gaffers' anti intellectual attitudes. Water has some of the widest range of tastes of any drink; having tried bottled water from all around the world extracted from a variety of sources including alpine aquifers, I can safely attest to this. There really is no comparison between the refreshment and pleasure you get from normal bottled water and that of a sparkling pint of Himalayan bore water. The fact that I feel sluggish after drinking normal bottled water clearly shows the health value of good bottled water. The fact that artisan bottled water is becoming more popular by the day in America is a great thing and I urge people to expand their horizons and actually give it a try. I can easily see H2O bars becoming a trendy replacement for cafes and bars in the future, especially with the increasingly health-conscious direction that society is heading in.

Jesus christ. There is no way this is not parody. Right? RIGHT?!

marrec

Banned
Is this pH stuff for real? It's just water right?

No, the pH stuff isn't real. Yes different minerals and additives may change the pH level of different brands of waters, but your body will be fine regulating that stuff on it's own. You don't need to worry about it.

Stasis

Deer park is the goat

Deer Park is decent. Not available here. I really dislike the taste of Aquafina, Naya, Smart Water and a few others I forget. Nestle Pure Choice is my (available) goat.

Yes you absolutely can see a difference in the taste of water when it's your primary beverage. Cutting out all sugary drinks did this for me. Prior to that I didn't care. Driving down to NYC to see family, it's a total crapshoot when we stop and buy whatever's available at a service area. So we bring our own now. Just want a colder fresh bottle halfway down. Sometimes we buy a few brands and gamble. It's a dangerous and exciting life we live.

Mostly we use filtered tap water or buy 5 gallon jugs though. Those 500ml bottles are so bad for the environment. We do recycle everything, at least, when we use them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Deer Park is decent. Not available here. I really dislike the taste of Aquafina, Naya, Smart Water and a few others I forget. Nestle Pure Choice is my (available) goat.

Yes you absolutely can see a difference in the taste of water when it's your primary beverage. Cutting out all sugary drinks did this for me. Prior to that I didn't care. Driving down to NYC to see family, it's a total crapshoot when we stop and buy whatever's available at a service area. So we bring our own now. Just want a colder fresh bottle halfway down. Sometimes we buy a few brands and gamble. It's a dangerous and exciting life we live.

Mostly we use filtered tap water or buy 5 gallon jugs though. Those 500ml bottles are so bad for the environment. We do recycle everything, at least, when we use them.

I mean I can taste the difference between bottled and tap but comparing bottled to bottle it's so subtle it doesn't make that much of a difference honestly.

And I mostly think all bottled water has a weird aftertaste to it.

Stasis

I mean I can taste the difference between bottled and tap but comparing bottled to bottle it's so subtle it doesn't make that much of a difference honestly.

And I mostly think all bottled water has a weird aftertaste to it.

There you go. Most do. Some don't. So you CAN taste the difference, you just haven't had the right ones yet =)

I don't know where you are located but if you can do a side by side of Aquafina (my least favorite of all, which very much has that aftertaste you're describing - like plastic I guess) and Nestle Pure Life... I'm positive you'd see the difference.

I can't even go through a bottle of most, unless really needed. I despise that aftertaste. The brands that don't have it are my jam!

Gallbaro

Banned
Anyone in the states who consistently buys Fiji is an ass.

Fine, you have the 99% false belief that unregulated water coming from a bottling plant is better than your tap, but anything besides Fiji.

arigato

I used to drink the shit out of Nestle bottled water until I learned that they bottled up the water in my fucking town. Been drinking from the tap ever since with no regrets. I do miss the convenience for taking bottles with me but I don't miss the recycling and fees associated to it.
Last time I bought Nestle bottled water it literally smelled and tasted of Clorox/bleach. Ever since then I avoid Nestle like the plague.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There you go. Most do. Some don't. So you CAN taste the difference, you just haven't had the right ones yet =)

I don't know where you are located but if you can do a side by side of Aquafina (my least favorite of all, which very much has that aftertaste you're describing - like plastic I guess) and Nestle Pure Life... I'm positive you'd see the difference.

I can't even go through a bottle of most, unless really needed. I despise that aftertaste. The brands that don't have it are my jam!

Thing is, if I think tap water tastes better anyway, why bother?

As noted though, probably varies by region. I'm from melbourne fwiw.

cwmartin

You realize bottled water of the same brand is sourced in different places based on region?

Stasis

You realize bottled water of the same brand is sourced in different places based on region?

I do actually! Valid point. The taste test would have to be done here, lol.

That said, Aquafina has been consistently poor tasting to me throughout the USA and Canada. At least on the east coast. Maybe it's better elsewhere. Nestle Pure Life did taste differently, and not as good, in Plattsburgh even, and that's an hour away from where we are in Quebec. It was still decent, though.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I only drink Moland Springs.

Ethelwulf

You are not going to make your life worse/better by drinking the "best" water. You are being fooled if you think so. Drink any purified water. Really, any. A Brita purifier would do just fine.

Marvie_3

Banned
There's no gradient of healthy to unhealthy water. It's either clean or dirty. What the hell is this unscientific thread.

You know what's healthier than bottled water? Good old tap water with loads of government regulation. Get a filter system if you must. Stop wasting money.
This!

Teletraan1

Banned
I seriously don't like the taste of tap water here. At my old house I had a RO system and it was great but here I don't and the water tastes like shit. Moving in a couple of weeks and maybe I will get a RO system at the new place.

Well a bottle of Dasani water makes the same sound as opening a bottle of soda.

Yeah, it's made by Coca-Cola. And Aqua-Fina is by PepsiCo. Dasani is the only one I actively avoid, it tastes salty to me. I only do Aqua-Fina when there are no other good options.

Cmagus

For home I use a Zero Water jug and it works great. I find they filter better than Brita, I'd recommend it. Other then that I usually just fill a water bottle with it as well.

ZeroWater-Pitcher-and-Box.jpg

Speevy

Banned
I have to climb to the top of a mountain in the farthest reaches of Japan and meet with a man. He doesn't speak so I'm not sure of his name. He takes me on a mile hike to a remote village where legend tells of an ancient spring. Only by participating in the purification ritual are you given a map that leads to that spring. You must be careful though. There are those who would kill to know the secret, and you must use stealth and cunning to evade their trackers. When you finally reach the spring, another man is waiting in a car to take you back to the city where they have tap water.

"The label says Fiji because it's not bottled in Cleveland," says the full-page ad running in magazines such as Esquire.

After seeing the ad, public utilities director Julius Ciaccia ordered the bottled water tested.

The results: 6.31 micrograms of arsenic per liter in the Fiji bottle, said Cleveland water quality manager Maggie Rodgers. Cleveland tap water as well as bottled brands Aquafina, Dasani and Evian had no measurable arsenic.

"Before you take a cheap shot at somebody, know what you're talking about," said Cleveland water commissioner J. Christopher Nielson.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/20/AR2006072000322.html

lmao

Cleveland 1 Fiji 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom