• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

Including the issues from regular runs dealing with Secret Wars - 240.

Spittake.gif

Vic_Viper

Secret wars had a bunch of half good tie-ins and then when it ended Hickman left who was kind of the last writer I really liked that was still there. Gwenpool though!

This is exactly how I feel too. The only thing ive read from Marvel that ive liked since Secret Wars is their Star Wars and Darth Vader books. I tried a couple of their mainline series and dropped almost everything. Been going back and reading Daredevil and Black Widow on MU but aside from that IvX was the only thing from Marvel I liked.

I hope this X-Men relaunch is good, but Marvel really needs to get someone like Hickman working on something big to carry the rest of their books forward. Been hearing rumors that this Generations thing is supposed to bring in some big talent.

Really excited they got Guggenheim to write one of the new X-Men books. Hope he can do some really good work.

Malyse

I am sure the 100+* mediocre to shitty Secret Wars tie-ins helped the momentum.

* This number is extrapolated because I got tired after reading 30-40 of the 200+ tie-ins.
How many Secret Wars tie-ins were there?

Including the issues from regular runs dealing with Secret Wars - 240.

I read *all* of Secret Wars.
And both Civil Wars.

I just need Squirrel Girl to keep on rocking Marvel wise.
image.php

Secret wars had a bunch of half good tie-ins and then when it ended Hickman left who was kind of the last writer I really liked that was still there. Gwenpool though!
image.php

GURIHIRU IS LOVE.

I know someone is repping Nadia, so I guess it falls to me to rep Lunella and Riri.

Though honestly, Moon Girl, Ironheart, and Wasp should all be on a team together.
Also. If Nadia and Riri are both queer, I'm calling it right now.

PsychBat!

Banned
I am sure the 100+* mediocre to shitty Secret Wars tie-ins helped the momentum.

* This number is extrapolated because I got tired after reading 30-40 of the 200+ tie-ins.

mediocre to shitty? Must have been different tie-ins I read then.

Ultimate End was dumpster fire through and through.

mediocre to shitty? Must have been different tie-ins I read then.

Ultimate End was dumpster fire through and through.

I love Marvel's output more than most people, and even I have to admit there were a lot of sub par "why is this getting printed" tie ins going along with secret wars.

I mean, I get why they existed- Secret Wars was a license to do virtually anything no matter how crazy it was and see if it stuck- but there was a lot that was flat out questionable.

PsychBat!

Banned
I love Marvel's output more than most people, and even I have to admit there were a lot of sub par "why is this getting printed" tie ins going along with secret wars.

I mean, I get why they existed- Secret Wars was a license to do virtually anything no matter how crazy it was and see if it stuck- but there was a lot that was flat out questionable.

Gonna make a list of the ones I thought were mediocre or less than that

House of M
Armor Wars
Inferno
Secret Wars 2099
Spider-Verse
X-Tinction Agenda
Years of Future Past
Inhumans: Attilan Rising
Runaways
Marvel Zombies vs Age of Ultron

Again, I don't agree that a majority of the books were garbage (that ranking goes to Ultimate End). I'll concede that there were not so great books.

Secret Wars time was great because 'anything goes' is a dope mantra. To me that was also the appeal of the time when Joe Quesada had just taken over. He moved a bunch of cool talent to some titles and let them loose. Secret Wars tie ins were in the spirit of that and I loved it

Gonna make a list of the ones I thought were mediocre

For me:

"where monsters dwell" (how on earth was this a secret wars book?)

"years of future past"

"x-men 92" (yes, I know some of you really love the 90s Xmen, but this was just bad

"armor wars"

"ultimate end" (this was THE WORST book, hands down)

"korvac saga" (did nothing for me, really)

"captain marvel and the carol corps"

"spider verse"

everything else was either good enough for the money, or I skipped (House of M)

Malyse

House of M
Armor Wars
Inferno
Secret Wars 2099
Spider-Verse
X-Tinction Agenda
Years of Future Past
Runaways

Again, I don't agree that a majority of the books were garbage (that ranking goes to Ultimate End). I'll concede that there were not so great books.

For me:

"where monsters dwell" (how on earth was this a secret wars book?)

"years of future past"

"x-men 92" (yes, I know some of you really love the 90s Xmen, but this was just bad

"armor wars"

"ultimate end" (this was THE WORST book, hands down)

"korvac saga" (did nothing for me, really)

"captain marvel and the carol corps"

"spider verse"

everything else was either good enough for the money, or I skipped (House of M)

Okay, more than just Weirdworld was bad for me.
Books I didn't read

Secret Wars: Battleworld
Secret Wars Journal
1602 Witch Hunter Angela
Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos
Secret Wars: Agents of Atlas

YOU FUCKED UP, SON.
Mrs. Deadpool was a miss for me too.

PsychBat!

Banned
Books I didn't read

Secret Wars: Battleworld
Secret Wars Journal
1602 Witch Hunter Angela
Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos
Secret Wars: Agents of Atlas

Okay, more than just Weirdworld was bad for me.

Weirdworld was actually one of the things I just loved to DEATH.

I'm a huge fan of the art style used there, and my mind was just blown when Marvel dug up crystar and the crystal warriors from whatever IP hell they've been moldering in since the 80s.

Inexplicably they made two post secret wars Weirdworld books- neither one having anything to do with the secret wars plotline and concept.

House of M
Armor Wars
Inferno
Secret Wars 2099
Spider-Verse
X-Tinction Agenda
Years of Future Past
Runaways

Eh...after seeing your list I have to add some stuff. I forgot all about X-tinction Agenda and Runaways, and Marvel Zombies v. Age of Ultron was not only the worst zombies book (Marvel Zombies and Seige absolutely destroyed it) the events made no sense with the other books. Unlike the rest of battleworld we KNOW there was only one zombie zone.

Inferno I'm on the fence about, but Inhumans: Attilan Rising was ok- if only for the ending. And I've got a soft spot for 2099 anything.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

House of M
Armor Wars
Inferno
Secret Wars 2099
Spider-Verse
X-Tinction Agenda
Years of Future Past
Runaways

Agree with most of this. I thought Attilan Rising was pretty good though and I enjoyed Runaways too.

You didn't miss much with the anthology books either. One of them had a really good Daredevil short story but that was about it IMO.

mreddie

I know someone is repping Nadia, so I guess it falls to me to rep Lunella and Riri.

Though honestly, Moon Girl, Ironheart, and Wasp should all be on a team together.
Also. If Nadia and Riri are both queer, I'm calling it right now.

It's me but I also rep Janet.

And if she was lesbian, I would be cool with that but she has a lot of potential GFs and Sam.

Malyse

And if she was lesbian, I would be cool with that but she has a lot of potential GFs and Sam.

Nadia just doesn't strike me as heterosexual. I dunno. She seems so literated. I would say she's probably pansexual. Granted, part of this might be me imprinting from the tonal similarities of Whitley's Raven Princeless book.
Secret Love tho

Secret Love was fantastic. I'll fight over that.

Nadia just doesn't strike me as heterosexual. I dunno. She seems so literated. I would say she's probably pansexual. Granted, part of this might be me imprinting from the tonal similarities of Whitley's Raven Princeless book.

Secret Love was fantastic. I'll fight over that.
Nadia's asexual

Boom

Sandfox

Whitley has been dropping hints in the ongoing.
I was pretty shocked, when I read Marvels may or june solicitation. They are not only launching multiple Secret Empire Books but also multiple new Books. It's pretty Insane
The Secret Empire books are all one-shots. Marvel seems to be be slowing down on the random ongoings a bit and putting out more limited series to replace the cancelled stuff.

mreddie

Also agreed Marvel needs trimming, we pointed that out many times but post SW, stopping Howard and USG just because and having 2 #1s in the same year is fucking asinine.

- Expand the talent pool (Writers, Artists, Letterers, Colorists)
- Just give the writers three things to follow and tell them after that, go nuts. Fuck tie ins unless the writer wants to.
- Trim the line (Guardians doesn't need a whole line of books unless otherwise, the Spidey line works but I'm afraid were having one Spider too many, and of course, the fucking Mercs books. )
- Use social media to make a video about the books, don't just pass it by. The videos for Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Resurrextion are a start.
- Survey your audience and but also, talk to those who were hooked into books like Ms. Marvel, Nova and Moon Girl and try to see what they like. Survey the kitchen.

Sandfox

Bendis tweeted that he's going to be following up on the ending to Spider-Men this summer.

Also agreed Marvel needs trimming, we pointed that out many times but post SW, stopping Howard and USG just because and having 2 #1s in the same year is fucking asinine.

- Expand the talent pool (Writers, Artists, Letterers, Colorists)
- Just give the writers three things to follow and tell them after that, go nuts. Fuck tie ins unless the writer wants to.
- Trim the line (Guardians doesn't need a whole line of books unless otherwise, the Spidey line works but I'm afraid were having one Spider too many, and of course, the fucking Mercs books. )
- Use social media to make a video about the books, don't just pass it by. The videos for Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Resurrextion are a start.
- Survey your audience and but also, talk to those who were hooked into books like Ms. Marvel, Nova and Moon Girl and try to see what they like. Survey the kitchen.
Marvel could do a better job marketing, but based on comments I've seen from both retailers and people in the industry these past few days it's actually really hard with the way things currently work. Things like social media are cheap/free though.

Messi

Brian is the anti-Messi

He utilizes the anti love equation to destroy the universe

I believe in love. I believe in love enough to cover all of you.

I am fairly sure I'm about to pay $150 to see Olivia Wilde on Broadway from the 2nd row. The universe might end guys. This could be it.

Dear ElBoxyBrown,

Due to an unforeseen shipping delay, your Order #xxxxxxxxxx for Nintendo Switch Console has been delayed. Your order will be shipping slightly later than expected, at which time you will receive a tracking number for your shipment. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize for any frustration this may cause you.
XGrzfAD.gif

PsychBat!

Banned
Eh...after seeing your list I have to add some stuff. I forgot all about X-tinction Agenda and Runaways, and Marvel Zombies v. Age of Ultron was not only the worst zombies book (Marvel Zombies and Seige absolutely destroyed it) the events made no sense with the other books. Unlike the rest of battleworld we KNOW there was only one zombie zone.

Inferno I'm on the fence about, but Inhumans: Attilan Rising was ok- if only for the ending. And I've got a soft spot for 2099 anything.
Addressing your list, I think the Korvac Saga's problem was the build up lasted a long ass time. Looking past that, I think it had a good climax.
Sorry about that :(
I don't know if you're gonna get Zelda but if you do, the wait is well worth it.

VanWinkle

Best run/series endings, GO.

I love good endings to runs and/or series, but it feels like satisfying endings are few and far between. Starman by Robinson is by far the best series ending I've ever read. Green Lantern by Johns and Flash by Manapul/Buccellato had pretty good endings.

I want to hear from your guys so I can maybe get some suggestions on stuff I should read.

Messi

I love good endings to runs and/or series, but it feels like satisfying endings are few and far between. Starman by Robinson is by far the best series ending I've ever read. Green Lantern by Johns and Flash by Manapul/Buccellato had pretty good endings.

I want to hear from your guys so I can maybe get some suggestions on stuff I should read.

Y the last man

Messi

The end of Sunstone was incredible. Can't wait to read Mercy but I consider vol 5 of Sunstone to be the end of that run seeing as mercy isn't dealing with ally and lisa as leads.

I'll echo some of yours
- Green Lantern by Johns it's so good that they could easily stop making GL books
- Starman
- Strangers in Paradise
- Sandman

Doom Patrol by Morrison
Hellboy in Hell
BPRD Hell on Earth

The usual

tim1138

Starman
Johns GL
Hellboy in Hell
Morrison Animal Man
Lemire Animal Man
Batman Inc
the Authority

Top Bottom