• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Okami Wii Thread of IGN Watermarks

VAIL

Threi said:
Internet gamers feel that they are entitled to have companies make decisions that suit their tastes.

Some forget that gaming is a privilege, not a right.

The fact that Capcom greenlighted this is pretty lucky for gamers, they should be greatful that Capcom had even let this title see the light of day again.

Gamers are such ungrateful pricks sometimes. I continually find it astonishing how they will collectively bitch about someone's efforts (even when they post on the forum!) as if they could do any better. Grab some money and make your own development studio then guys!

Right the fuck on.

Modern "gamers" are the biggest bunch of whiny cunts alive.

koam

Sir Alemeth said:
Seems like Capcom has troubles with game covers since day 1:
megamanbox.jpg

:lol.. i just noticed the "high resolution graphics" part

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Evilink said:
Waggling is a little different than stroking. Stroking would be moving you wrist/arm in a single direction, waggling is pretty much jerking off your controller. I'm saying there should be more freedom to interact differently with certain elements, to be able to destroy objects or enemies with strokes you see fit...a game doesn't have to be "molded out of clay" to to implement this type of mechanic.

Not sure what you mean by this. Do you just want to be able to slice in any given direction? Or are you inferring that the game should push the paint mechanic in ways not originally intended 2 years ago when it first released? Give a realistic example of what you are trying to say here. "Freedom to interact differently with certain elements" is a pretty vague and broad.

Wrong. Having to perform a certain task can, and does, alienate a gamer who isn't capable of what's required/expected. This can be extremely frustrating, Take Sonic for example, sure you're not painting or whatever the case may be, but the controls for me personally were terrible, not a great experience, especially for kids.

In the case of Okami, when your brush stroke isn't realised on screen, if it's not doing what you're intending, that can be annoying.(not half as much as Sonic) Granted, it works more often than not, but still, I feel the kinks should be ironed out.

Sonic is a pretty awful example to get your point across. My point is that if the game gave you ten different stroking methods to chew down a boulder, the process of teaching those maneuvers is inefficient considering how unnecessary 9 of those will be to the individual players. I'll agree that the strokes can often be missed by the game(I complained about it back earlier in this thread), but after 15 hours and a million crushed rocks, you'll be conditioned to the motion and the point of impact quite well. It was really no different on the PS2 version, lots of missed strikes I recall as well.

Also keep in mind that vertical strikes and various other motions are reserved for different paint effects later on, so keeping it simple and not confusing the multitude of simple motions is very clearly a design choice.

KevinCow

Banned
I hope the game does well this time. It would be a damn shame if it flopped again. This, BG&E, and Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, all quality, enjoyable Zelda clones last gen, all with their own style and unique setting, and all flopped and will most likely never be getting sequels. And what's especially annoying about that is that Sphinx and BG&E both had cliffhanger endings (well, I guess Sphinx isn't really a cliffhanger, but it's clear that they wanted to leave it open for a new game). I hope Okami doesn't have a cliffhanger ending. That would be annoying.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The 3D Zeldas have great music (well, at least the ones composed by Kondo). Even if they're not complex, they are highly memorable, and catchy. It may be possible that Kondo may be limited by budgetary constraints since many of his songs don't require many instruments, but he's still completely capable:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u-oVxTunxHA

A shame it wasn't in the game, tho.

EDarkness

I'm glad to see some people striking out against the wave of negativity. It's really getting bad and drags things down. I wish I had a copy of the game, but Play Asia takes years to deliver. :(

Looking forward to playing it, though. Tried out the PS2 version last year, but I wasn't too thrilled with the painting mechanics. Perhaps the change in that direction will help me get into the game better.

Heh, and Capcom still hasn't commented on the IGN watermark. I wonder how long that will take. ;)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oblivion said:
The 3D Zeldas have great music (well, at least the ones composed by Kondo). Even if they're not complex, they are highly memorable, and catchy. It may be possible that Kondo may be limited by budgetary constraints since many of his songs don't require many instruments, but he's still completely capable:

A shame it wasn't in the game, tho.

Are you sure that was arranged by Kondo?

ethelred

Threi said:
The fact that Capcom greenlighted this is pretty lucky for gamers, they should be greatful that Capcom had even let this title see the light of day again.

I do hope the game performs well this time. I'm a bit skeptical it will, but I'd love for Capcom to get the message that this game (regardless of platform) is appreciated for its incredibly high quality.

Oblivion said:
The 3D Zeldas have great music (well, at least the ones composed by Kondo). Even if they're not complex, they are highly memorable, and catchy.

Oh, cool! Glad to hear. Then I'll just wait here while you go and find a good piece of music to post.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
Oh, cool! Glad to hear. Then I'll just wait here while you go and find a good piece of music to post.

You seriously didn't like any 3D Zelda music? Just from Twilight Princess... the one everyone alway's posts is Midna's Desperation, but I always thought The Light Spirit Appears and the variation Recover the Light was really rad. Was also particularly fond of Lake Hylia, it worked really well in the context of the environment.

Wish all of it was orchestrated and it's not all top-of-the-line, but I thought it had its fair share of decent compositions.

I cant help but feel that a Okami sequel/spinoff on the DS would be awesome :D (cue all the DS/DS 3-d haters!) I just could see the touch screen doing wonders for this game.

They would really have to nail the graphical style though, and Im not sure if the DS would be up to it

At the very least, if the wii version bombs, and a new game in the series isnt possible on consoles, maybe it would have a good chance on handhelds.

EDarkness

Lavpa Jasai said:
I cant help but feel that a Okami sequel/spinoff on the DS would be awesome :D (cue all the DS/DS 3-d haters!) I just could see the touch screen doing wonders for this game.

They would really have to nail the graphical style though, and Im not sure if the DS would be up to it

At the very least, if the wii version bombs, and a new game in the series isnt possible on consoles, maybe it would have a good chance on handhelds.

Or perhaps they'll let the series die in peace. No point in dragging it out further...like NiGHTS.

Oblivion

Y2Kev said:
Are you sure that was arranged by Kondo?

Well, it has his name listed on the track. I believe the other one, the 2005 one was done by that Oshima person.

Ethelred said:

I just did. Though I can understand how you missed it, since it's quite common for you to go without noticing the obvious. But just for you...

Course, if I'm mistaken, I'll be glad to give credit to whoever did it.

And I would post more, but you being you will probably say something along the lines of 'bu bu bu I dun like it!', making the search a waste, so yeah.

svenuce

HK-47 said:
Those various groups need to sit in the fucking corner and take a long hard look at themselves then. Every Okami Wii thread I've come across has been eyegougingly horrible, to the point where I dont even post. This was a game that failed so hard it dissolved the company that made it, to the chargan of all gamers who enjoy good games. Now its being given a second chance, but everyone would rather argue over paper filters, push anti waggle agendas, or curl up in their hugbox at the notion of Okami being some kind of Zelda killer.

Its pathetic.

I believe this post wins the thread. Well said.

Amir0x

Banned

ethelred

Oblivion said:
I just did. Though I can understand how you missed it

I did see that link. I thought you were posting that as a joke. And here I was all ready to give you applause on your humour transplant.

Amir0x said:
You seriously didn't like any 3D Zelda music?

I didn't say I don't like any. Actually, what I said is that there are typically a handful of really good tracks in each of them -- but most of the stuff aside from those falls into one of three categories: 1) generic filler; 2) rehashes of songs that've been done in every Zelda since the Dawn of Time; 3) bad stuff (nearly all of the battle "music" would fall into this last category).

Midna's Desperation is a nice piece.

Relix said:
So, is this game worth it? For Wii, not PS2

Whichever system you choose to buy it on, yes, it's absolutely worth it. It's a wonderful adventure.

Lobster

Banned
Amir0x said:
well no, Zelda Wii does not have any songs of the same caliber as this.

Mario Galaxy is the highest level of Nintendo soundtrack since... well... I don't even know. A long fucking time.

I think he meant the REAL Zelda Wii.

Amir0x

Banned
ethelred said:
I didn't say I don't like any. Actually, what I said is that there are typically a handful of really good tracks in each of them -- but most of the stuff aside from those falls into one of three categories: 1) generic filler; 2) rehashes of songs that've been done in every Zelda since the Dawn of Time; 3) bad stuff (nearly all of the battle "music" would fall into this last category).

Midna's Desperation is a nice piece.

Just the way you said it came off like you thought it was impossible for anyone to provide good music from a 3D Zelda game.

I dunno generally I'd say the quality of Zelda soundtracks have fallen off some but I definitely think they're of a high standard still. It always seems to fit the mood well enough.

Wish the dungeon tracks hadn't moved in such a atmospheric direction though.

KevinCow

Banned
Can the Zelda music argument go to a thread that's actually about Zelda so we can refocus this thread on talking about how awesome Okami is?

I'll start:

Okami is awesome.

Amir0x said:
well no, Zelda Wii does not have any songs of the same caliber as this.

Mario Galaxy is the highest level of Nintendo soundtrack since... well... I don't even know. A long fucking time.

What I meant was, if the next Zelda featured songs in the same league as that, everyone would agree about the soundtrack. I don't really consider Twilight Princess a full fledged Wii game.

Amir0x

Banned
LiquidMamba said:
What I meant was, if the next Zelda featured songs in the same league as that, everyone would agree about the soundtrack. I don't really consider Twilight Princess a full fledged Wii game.

Me either!

And yes, I would be pleased.

EDarkness said:
Or perhaps they'll let the series die in peace. No point in dragging it out further...like NiGHTS.

But see this way, odds are it will still be good. If they just let it "die" once people realize how good it is, then they will want another one, and it wont be able to live up to the 10 year nostalgia/hype trip, and it will be thrown in the mud.

But if its not meant to live on, then so be it. Ill enjoy what I have now.

Oblivion

ethelred said:
I did see that link. I thought you were posting that as a joke. And here I was all ready to give you applause on your humour transplant.

And uh..why would it be a joke, exactly? I mean, I probably shouldn't ask cause you seem to see things you only want to see, but humor me regardless.

ethelred

Oblivion said:
And uh..why would it be a joke, exactly?

Because it wasn't a good song.

KevinCow said:
Can the Zelda music argument go to a thread that's actually about Zelda so we can refocus this thread on talking about how awesome Okami is?

I'm trying, I'm trying. But what am I to do when I have Oblivion following me from thread to thread nipping at everything I say?

On the topic of Okami: it's just astonishing to listen to the five CDs worth of absolutely brilliant music. It's truly one of the greatest compositional works we've seen in a game in years.

Oblivion

ethelred said:
I'm trying, I'm trying. But what am I to do when I have Oblivion following me from thread to thread nipping at everything I say?

Oh, come off it. I merely stated my opinion. You're the one that had to respond in an a sarcastic manner.

But whatever. I'm willing to drop it, I'm out.

zbarron

AgentOtaku said:
jesus....am I the only one NOT have any issues with the waggle attacks??!!!

the 4-hit combo works 4/5 times for me when I try it, so I always cut through enemies real quick. Same goes for finishing slashes that net Demon Fangs.....If anything, I end up doing the 4 hit combo waaay more now than regular attacks, just because i'm so used to the timing/tempo of it

As said before, it's about timing, and THAT timing for that particular combo is a slightly faster than a normal combo....like I said, don't do any fancy shit, like swinging side to side or whatever...just pretend it's like Percussion instrument almost... like your hitting a drum head...it's all about rhythm
Their controls work for you 80% of the time. That's not too bad.

I just beat the guy with the lightsaber flute. Somehow, he reminds me of Viewtiful Joe. The battle was annoying until I realized I had one of those "reflect damage scrolls" and hit him for a 99 hit combo.

Death_Born said:
I just beat the guy with the lightsaber flute. Somehow, he reminds me of Viewtiful Joe. The battle was annoying until I realized I had one of those "reflect damage scrolls" and hit him for a 99 hit combo.

I think the little spin/taunt thing he does is exactly from Viewtiful Joe

Brandon F

Death_Born said:

Easy way to take him down is to ink slash his swords he throws at you, they reflect back on him and usually put him in a stun animation for easy damage.

I'm currently in the Moon Cave and unless things seem to be winding down plotwise, but I can't imagine it ending so soon, if not this is going to be a -massive- game. I am really liking it a ton.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Brandon F said:
I'm currently in the Moon Cave and unless things seem to be winding down plotwise, but I can't imagine it ending so soon, if not this is going to be a -massive- game. I am really liking it a ton.
:lol brace yourself

Brandon F

Hilarious.
I like how when I finished the Moon Cave off and seemingly got a proper ending to the game, Issun is all like, "Hey you didn't think a great adventure like this would end so soon did you? This is only the begin!"

I'm beginning to hope this game never ends...

Brandon F said:
Hilarious.
I like how when I finished the Moon Cave off and seemingly got a proper ending to the game, Issun is all like, "Hey you didn't think a great adventure like this would end so soon did you? This is only the begin!"

I'm beginning to hope this game never ends...
That feeling will end about 35 hours in.

After reading MANY reviews of this version, I think I will be going with the ps2 version because of the complaing of the Wii controls and the fact that they have added NOTHING new to this game (16:9 doesn't count, that should be a given)

I was going to get this game when I got a Wii, will pick up ps2 version instead

gfx question: besides 16:9, is the game graphically any better on the Wii?

scitek

Ken Masters said:
After reading MANY reviews of this version, I think I will be going with the ps2 version because of the complaing of the Wii controls and the fact that they have added NOTHING new to this game (16:9 doesn't count, that should be a given)

MotherFUCKER, you haven't read a single bit of this thread. And there was a PS2 vs. Wii thread like three days ago, search for it.

graphically better?

no

Different?

Yes

....personally, I DON"T think the Wii version looks all that great in 16:9 and that's why I just opted to play it in 4:3

scitek said:
MotherFUCKER, you haven't read a single bit of this thread. And there was a PS2 vs. Wii thread like three days ago, search for it.

that's uncalled for....

dfi

Ken Masters said:

The wii version is actually kinda blurry. Not sure what it is, but it seems to go in and out of focus, if that's the right term.

I've never played the ps2 version so I'm not sure if its same on the ps2.

jarrod

Banned
dfi said:
The wii version is actually kinda blurry. Not sure what it is, but it seems to go in and out of focus, if that's the right term.
Depends on the TV setting you have it on... "LCD" is crystal clear, but it massively reduces the paper filter. "Standard" has a much more pronounced filter, and colors/lines tend to bleed more... I prefer the latter as it looks more like the original I think.

Wonderdog

Guess Capcom is going to be spending this week ordering up thousands upon thousands of new copies of the game, sans IGN watermark.

Top Bottom