• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Okami Wii Thread of IGN Watermarks

Amir0x

Banned
Evilink said:
Just picked Okami up today...and it's gorgeous:D

The remote brush thing I hear some people complaining about is valid. Sometimes my brush strokes don't register...no idea why...that aside, once I understood what was required for "painting" constellations, most of the time the controls worked...so...it works, and sometimes it doesn't...but I'm still extremely happy I picked up this game, It's amazing.

man it's too bad there's no system that allows complete dependability and precision in control schemes. For now, what we get for the Wii is a good substitute for the hypothetical world where games have phenomenal and reliable control mechanics.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
man it's too bad there's no system that allows complete dependability and precision in control schemes. For now, what we get for the Wii is a good substitute for the hypothetical world where games have phenomenal and reliable control mechanics.
You're correct, the DualShock sucks ass for precision.

100% correct, awful awful Wiimote is better.

Thanks for saying that is your opinion Amir0x.

Akai

The only brush stroke I've had issues with is Bloom (which sometimes takes an extra try), but since that is mostly used in non-hectic situations, I don't find it that big of a deal...

The most important thing to worry about later on once you start learning more brush strokes is trying to avoid accidentally starting up a different one unwittingly...For example, using the
Water Spout brush stroke when trying to blow wind to move a lily pad...

Amir0x said:

MATRIX_matrix_117_1.jpg

I hear the kung-fu controls are especially good.

Mirimar

Akai said:
The only brush stroke I've had issues with is Bloom (which sometimes takes an extra try), but since that is mostly used in non-hectic situations, I don't find it that big of a deal...

The most important thing to worry about later on once you start learning more brush strokes is trying to avoid accidentally starting up a different one unwittingly...For example, using the
Water Spout brush stroke when trying to blow wind to move a lily pad...

You're gonna hit a few QTEs that require the use of that Bloom quite a few times in succession, and having it inaccurate as it is, you'll probably find yourself having to re-do it.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
"I drew a CIRCLE, Dual-Shock, not a spiraling line."

"THAT IS BLOOM, NOT SUN."

"How is drawing a bomb recognized as slash?"

"Okay, I'm tapping the dots in the constellation correctly, but they're not doing it. C'mon, nudge a little more, no too far, arghhhhhhhh."

Imprecise DualShock controls, non-gamer's tool of non-gaming.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I beat Okami with near-perfect rankings. Being able to overcome the horrible imprecision of the DualShock's analog sticks and still do that well is a testament to my skill.

Amir0x

Banned
well i mean i don't even know what "near-perfect ranking" in Okami means. It's a pretty pointless distinction in an action RPG, no?

Just sounded like you wanted us to BELIEVE.

Akai

Mirimar said:
You're gonna hit a few QTEs that require the use of that Bloom quite a few times in succession, and having it inaccurate as it is, you'll probably find yourself having to re-do it.

If you mean
Mr. Orange's dance
then I'm already past that...I failed that a few times, but that was due to me thinking I had to
draw tiny circles over the small bud instead of a big circle over the entire branch...
>_>

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
well i mean i don't even know what "near-perfect ranking" in Okami means.
As in, those cherry blossom trees at the end of the game which rank your speed, continues, brush uses, etc.

Super-fast, super-efficient, super-strong, biznatches. Despite the imprecise non-gamer wiggle controls holding me back.
emot-c00l.gif

Amir0x

Banned
oh found it

Code:
Okami  Bloom  Tree  Rankings

NAME              TREES BLOOMED          STATUS

1. DualShock              5                  Perfect
2. Crushed                4                   Near-Perfect
3. ethelred               4                    Near-Perfect
4. Amir0x                 4                    Near-Perfect
5. Toolong                3                    Adequate
6. Terasua                3                    Adequate
7. Anihawk                3                    Adequate
8. HimuroMeltdown         3                   Adequate
9. NeoGAF                 2                     Poor
10. BELIEVE               1                     Shit

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
theultimo said:
and play...

9.5 OUT of 10 FHDJKGS

Also, if you look at it, the "9.5 out of 10" bubble is DIRECTLY below the IGN watermark.
When I got the game from Gamestop, there was actually a red 1up review sticker placed DIRECTLY ON TOP OF the Play sticker, on the outside of the shrinkwrap. I guess Capcom likes 1up better than Play.

So it was like, "1up - A", then you take of the shrinkwrap and see "9.5 out of 10 - Play", and then there's the IGN watermark.

Heck, why not go all the way? Screw these half-measures crap, Capcom. Let's Nascar this mother up.

naskami.jpg

Narag

AgentOtaku said:
Analogs that bad with painting?

....will have to rent the PS2 version to check it out

They weren't but they had issues contextually iirc. I ran into the sun/bloom thing more often than not from not being centered properly. I'm expecting a learning phase for myself like I had with the PS2 though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I'm about 10 hours in right now. The game is actually even better than I was originally expecting.

I've also stopped having any real issues with the brush once I started using the Z-button. It's too bad that it's seemingly such a secret, it's affected quite a bit of the reviews. That dodge move still doesn't really work well but it hasn't really affected me that much so far.

AgentOtaku said:
Analogs that bad with painting?

....will have to rent the PS2 version to check it out

I don't think so. I am playing it again right now and don't really have any issues with it. Wiimote is obviously gonna be much better than the analog stick, but the game was originally created for the analog sticks, so they are prefectly functional.

and what exactly is the deal with the IGN watermark? just a printing error?

ZealousD said:
So I'm about 10 hours in right now. The game is actually even better than I was originally expecting.

I've also stopped having any real issues with the brush once I started using the Z-button. It's too bad that it's seemingly such a secret, it's affected quite a bit of the reviews. That dodge move still doesn't really work well but it hasn't really affected me that much so far.

....don't see how this is a secret, as Issun specifically states to use "Z" to draw a straight line =/

Linkzg said:
and what exactly is the deal with the IGN watermark? just a printing error?

basically RaD seemingly took a piece of Art from IGN's site, removed the watermark as best they could, and used that for the cover with Amaterasu placed on top

for me personally, that on top of the fucking Play review on the actual cover....well...i'm a bit dissapointed =/

Phthisis

Amir0x said:
oh found it

Code:
Okami  Bloom  Tree  Rankings

NAME              TREES BLOOMED          STATUS

1. DualShock              5                  Perfect
2. Crushed                4                   Near-Perfect
3. ethelred               4                    Near-Perfect
4. Amir0x                 4                    Near-Perfect
5. Toolong                3                    Adequate
6. Terasua                3                    Adequate
7. Anihawk                3                    Adequate
8. HimuroMeltdown         3                   Adequate
9. NeoGAF                 2                     Poor
10. BELIEVE               1                     Shit

:lol :lol :lol

Tenbatsu

Epicus.Furor said:
The Logo comes from this background

b3o8yd.jpg
This picture explain it all. The designer doing the cover art is just plain lazy to go thru his assets in his computer but instead go over to IGN to take the artwork and ended up with a half fark photoshop effort.

Antagon

At times I had issues with slashes and bloom on the dual shock as well though. But with the ps2 version circles basically work every time if you at least close it. The shape does not have to be perfect, as long as you finish at the start point (or just past it) it will work. If the circle isn't closed it'll fail.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'll get this eventually, but the problems with the motion controls seem... problematic. I take it you can't play without them and/or there is no CC/Wavebird support?

CTLance

Raist said:
It's not a Nintendo game. It's zelda-like. And it's a PS2 port.
And they suggest buying the PS2 version over the Wii port. Don't make me repeat myself over and over and over again.

Think about it. Nintendo Power urging you to buy and play a PS2 game. Someone must've really disliked the Wii version.

ugh...watching the prerecorded "Blosom sequences" that occur when you return life to an area (which are from the PS2 version, if it wasn't painfully obvious).....they're defaulted to anamorphic 16:9 .....EVEN IF YOUR PLAYING IN 4:3, which I chose to do

....ugh

Soule said:
wow that looks quite clear actually, those capcom sillyheads.

Holy fuck, really?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sorry. That's some second rate shit right there.

Can I be cover designers? I has interwebs?

Icarus

pulga said:
Now someone get that guy from RAD in here so we can flail him

Why would RAD have anything to do with a cover design? It's Capcom's fault.

And I'm about 15 hour in now. The game is freaking amazing, even better than I expected. Screw the cover... buy the game if you've never played Okami.

beef3483

Guybrush Threepwood said:
I just found out that Nintendo Power gave this game a 7.5

What the hell?

Yes and certain people are now using that review to discredit the Wii version and its controls. Even those who previously didn't like Nintendo Power or it's reviews. Nevermind all the other great review scores.

Xisiqomelir

DavidDayton said:
I'll get this eventually, but the problems with the motion controls seem... problematic. I take it you can't play without them and/or there is no CC/Wavebird support?

TBH, I haven't really had any problems with the controls. The window of allowance for comboing with the starter weapon is a little narrow, but it's nothing like trying to EWGF in Tekken or RC in CvS2. I had it down after the first practice with the training sensei.

And the painting is just so awesome. Dropping into canvas mode and whipping off a brushstroke just feels perfectly natural and immersive. I never played the PS2 version, but I can't imagine it would have been as easy to paint, especially considering the GAF clamour for a Wii version from so many of the PS2 owners.

Top Bottom