• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are spiders scared of people?

Kieli

I noticed a spider in the periphery of my vision and decided to look at it. Not so coincidentally, when we locked eyes, it scrabbled to a corner of the window just outside my vision.

Another day, I saw a spider slowly crawl along the window sill. When we locked eyes, it scrabbled at mach speeds and fell off the ledge into the baseboard in its desperate attempts to escape my gaze.

Are... are they scared of us?

StoneFox

Considering that it's hard for me to get a jumping spider to jump on my hand because they run away at first sight of me, sadly yes. :(

I just want to be friends...

gamerMan

That's a great hypothetical question that some scientists are dedicating their whole life studying. I wish we could ask spiders what they were feeling. Hopefully, with modern science we will one day be able to talk to spiders. I do know that some humans are afraid of spiders from my communications with humans.

Anon67

Considering that it's hard for me to get a jumping spider to jump on my hand because they run away at first sight of me, sadly yes. :(

I just want to be friends...

I've had jumping spiders slowly walk on my thick, hairy arms. Very cute creatures.

They're tiny creatures who can climb on threads in a world of humans.

They're basically living out Attack on Titan every day.

pa22word

Isn't there some loose evidence that animals/insects that evolved alongside humanity tends to show deep fear of us while animals who didn't do not? Maybe they don't have what we recognize as the emotion "fear", but at some instinctual level they seem to know the scary bald apes with fire mean massive danger. Otherwise they don't exist anymore because we mostly just exterminated them for being in our way.

Loxley

NkOePAI.jpg

The fact that they always tend to crawl towards me when I want them to stay as far as way from me as possible, no, no they're not afraid of us.

The Ummah

Banned
They get brave when they know you're sleeping.

Don't sleep, OP. Fuck that noise. That spider probably has a grudge to settle with you.

Myriadis

Depends. Just yesterday I had a spider crawling all over my face all of a sudden, while in the car. Also had a jumping spider actually attacking me (a bigger one, I actually felt the impact pretty good, these little ones can reach some speeds).
So while most are likely scared its not the case for all of them. I'm pretty chill with them.

J-Tier

It's possible. Fear is a pretty primal thing, studies using fruit flies have shown that they can exhibit behavior that seem to show that they feel fear or anger.

Chirotera

Banned
That's a great hypothetical question that some scientists are dedicating their whole life studying. I wish we could ask spiders what they were feeling. Hopefully, with modern science we will one day be able to talk to spiders. I do know that some humans are afraid of spiders from my communications with humans.

So are we all going to just ignore the obvious spider posting in our midst?

Do you fear us, spider? DO YOU?

Kieli

Not specifically, but I imagine they're a bit anxious around anything several hundred thousand times their size.

Do spiders even know we are one entity? Like, when a snake looks at your fingers, does it know it's attached to the rest of you?

darkziosj

They're tiny creatures who can climb on threads in a world of humans.

They're basically living out Attack on Titan every day.

Tiny? Tiny? Say that to fucking tarantulas, not all spiders are cute little animals, remember black widow? Yeah you better be scared of that crap

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Tiny? Tiny? Say that to fucking tarantulas, not all spiders are cute little animals, remember black widow? Yeah you better be scared of that crap

Humans killed more spiders than spiders killed humans.

Don't fall for human propaganda.

We need to genetically create a giant spider in order to Better understand the to answer this question

I take it everyone's fine with that?

J-Tier

Do spiders even know we are one entity? Like, when a snake looks at your fingers, does it know it's attached to the rest of you?
Tough to say, though I imagine it's all innate programming which all happens in fractions of a second.

For a snake, it probably recognizes a big object as one entity. Big object -> alive/not -> dangerous/safe -> fight/flight

For certain pet snake species, with enough of the same stimuli, it flips to: safe -> food source

While for a spider, it's probably like:

Movement -> fight/flight

It gets tougher with things like jumping spiders though which seem to exhibit curiosity.

Top Bottom