• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are spiders scared of people?

mAcOdIn

Isn't there some loose evidence that animals/insects that evolved alongside humanity tends to show deep fear of us while animals who didn't do not? Maybe they don't have what we recognize as the emotion "fear", but at some instinctual level they seem to know the scary bald apes with fire mean massive danger. Otherwise they don't exist anymore because we mostly just exterminated them for being in our way.
If everything that evolved alongside us doesn't exist because we killed them all how can we compare animals that didn't evolve alongside of us to them to even make such a claim?

I imagine the section of the animal kingdom that could have been impacted on some instinctual level by humans would be larger things like cats, wolves, game animals and the like, things as small as most spiders, I just can not see early humans being any more of a threat to them than any other large animal like a bear.

Besides, the larger animals are the only animals we ever could hunt to extinction even during the plague we couldn't eradicate rats good luck to early humans trying to eradicate spiders, ants, wasps or some other tiny insect. Don't even know if we could do it now without covering the Earth in enough poison to kill ourselves in the process.

8RcQFre.gif

Spladam

Hillarious thread, I am entertained.

OP, your intense eye contact is just making them REALLY self conscious, try to stop being so awkward.

spider-animated-gif-49.gif

Izuna

Banned
wasn't even on my phone and I backed so hard I hit my head on the wall

thanks for the concussion i guess ;/

Don't know where else to ask this anyway:

I just ordered a Switch from Best Buy coming Monday in anticipation of Odyssey. I dont want to spend too much games before that so I narrowed it down to Sonic and Shovel Knight

Sonic sounds a lot of fun but it sounds like it's just a traditional 2D game with local multiplayer. Or does the level design and co-op lead to greater replayability like classic 2D platformers?

However shovel knight has a lot of content coming now plus more in the future. But is shovel knight mainly just a duck tale game with cool music? What let's play or review should I watch?

2D platformers games I've enjoyed and beaten:
1.Mario except 2 and Gameboy Land because I didnt own them
2. DKC tropical Freeze
3. Super and Fusion Metroid
4. Cave Story
5. Sonic Ruh,
6. Guacamelee
7. Shantae and the Pirate Curse

Thanks again!

Calabi

They don't have a clue what they're looking at so no they're not scared. They're barely conscious.

But they are able to recognise prey and thus surely can recognise when they might be prey, which is selective attention which is a possible new definition of consciousness.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I mean I doubt they really understand how capable a human is of fucking them up at any given moment since they lack the ability to have fireside chats about it

But if confronted yea I feel like they would understand they're fucked if a huge being attacked them

I noticed a spider in the periphery of my vision and decided to look at it. Not so coincidentally, when we locked eyes, it scrabbled to a corner of the window just outside my vision.

Another day, I saw a spider slowly crawl along the window sill. When we locked eyes, it scrabbled at mach speeds and fell off the ledge into the baseboard in its desperate attempts to escape my gaze.

Are... are they scared of us?

How can you lock eyes when you have fewer eyes? Which specific eyes did you lock on to?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Most yes, but I watched an enormous tree spider in Indonesia rear back on its hind legs and then chase my friend down a hallway. It was absolutely terrifying and incredible.

I had a run in with a little fella last weekend. It was dark and there was only the light of the tv screen. It crept cross the room by the cornerside the wall. Literally the instant I saw it, it stopped. I intended on killing it. Threw a mitten at it, but it didn't move. For a moment I thought maybe it had a heart attack and died right there. But I figured, okay, it kills other bugs so probably it's all right. So I left it and went to bed. I came back the next day and it was gone. No heart attack on its behalf. Wherever it is I hope it was productive and lived better.

LoveCake

Do spiders sense fear?

They don't know what we are, they wouldn't be able to pass on any knowledge of humans being dangerous either to one another, would they be able to grasp the concept and then next time they see another spider tell them about the other day there was thing big thing chasing them with a rolled up newspaper? maybe they can, it just seems remote to me.

They would sense danger, like something trying to squash them, but that is all, I would think.

Also this reminded me of this thread.
2MzoXmI.gif

Photo clue to the above linked thread.
gvTa0b8.jpg

They're tiny creatures who can climb on threads in a world of humans.

They're basically living out Attack on Titan every day.

Holy shit

Also some spiders seem to adore being scared. Funnel webs are like "oh boy I get to fuck someone up today, cheers for getting in my way, mate."

Circinus

I doubt they are able to perceive what kind of organism we exactly are and thus are aware of us as people.

But they definitely consider sudden movements of human limbs near them and objects, feet or hands trying to squish them as threats, so they are scared of people in a way, yes.

They certainly don't mind zipping down on a web to dangle right in front of your face when you least expect it, so I don't think so.

I noticed a spider in the periphery of my vision and decided to look at it. Not so coincidentally, when we locked eyes, it scrabbled to a corner of the window just outside my vision.

Another day, I saw a spider slowly crawl along the window sill. When we locked eyes, it scrabbled at mach speeds and fell off the ledge into the baseboard in its desperate attempts to escape my gaze.

Are... are they scared of us?

Spiders have 4 pairs of eyes. The primary pair at the front is only able to detect variations in light an shadows.

Next task, try locking eyes with a potato.

Mr Git

Most spiders can't see you as they have very limited eyesight, but once you're close sure. Jumping spiders have excellent eyesight though so try following one around.

Top Bottom